Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sharing Fresh Spring Accessories…

 

.

antique scales for spring

Spring has sprung in another part of the house to help alleviate the doldrums of the remaining days of winter. This nook in the great room got a little shot of color with an spring inspired lithograph placed as the backdrop to the antique scale I often like to use in my vignettes.

 

 

scale

 

 

scale weight, closeup

I love the worn patina on its finish. The yellowed metal on the weight gives it so much character.

 

birdcage cloche

It just seemed fitting to use a wired birdcage cloche to cover this bluebird.

The marble scale base on this side of the scale was covered with a bed of sheet moss so that the bird could take up residence.

 

 

blue bird

 

 

 

nest in a shell

On the other end of the scale is a small nest filled with faux greenery, eggs, and a small bird.

This came to me by way of Cindy, who blogs at Dwellings.

dwellings2

I recently won her contest for a Ramsign address sign and this nest was also a part of the give-away.

 

 

shell on scale

Acrylic feet were to the bottom of the shell for stabilization.

I still have another shell that needs the same treatment- it keeps tipping over and it contents keeps spewing all over the table.

 

 

cloche and heart shaped rock

A tall cupcake cloche houses a small heart shaped rock.

The glare is certainly not sunshine- once again it is cold, cloudy, and overcast;

the back wall of the room just has so much glass that it wreaks havoc with reflections.

 

 

heart shaped rock

The green and gray rock makes a very simple statement all on its own….

 

.

potted plant on column

To add in some natural greenery, I topped a recently faux-painted concrete column with a small potted plant.

It’s looking a bit spindly these days- our overcast winter days don’t seem to providing quite enough light for it.

I’ve periodically moved it around the house to try and give it more of a chance to grow;

but when I do that, I lose track of where it is and it doesn’t get watered.

An avid gardener I am not…..

 

 

aged pot

At least the terra cotta pot is well on its way to looking aged and beautiful.

Clay pots take on a whitish cast as they age, due to the fertilizers and minerals in the water.

I’m contemplating rubbing a bit of moss and yogurt onto it to make it even prettier.

Looks better than a brand new, pristine clay pot, I think.

 

 

spring in the park litho

I’m eagerly awaiting spring’s arrival. Aren’t you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sharing with:

Susan@BNOP  Metamorphosis Monday 

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch  The Scoop 

Linda@ Coastal Charm  Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Marty@ A Stroll Thru Life  Tabletop Tuesdays

Jessica@ Mom4Real Knock Our Socks Off

Courtney@ French Country Cottage  6 Days of Spring

Patty and Paula@ Ivy and Elephants  What’s It Wednesday

Kim@ Savvy Southern Style Wow us Wednesday

Debra@Common Ground  Be Inspired Friday

Donna@ Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special

 

 

 

 

 

 

25 comments:

Stacey said...

Sue, everything looks so pretty. I love it when pots get crusty like that. :)

Pam said...

I used to scrub that white stuff off my pots and now I'm trying to get it back on! Hope the weather is OK over there. It's just a drizzling here, but supposed to get snow later tonight and tomorrow. I am done with this stuff!

Olive said...

Hi Sue, you know I adore that marvelous scale. Love your spring accents. I am ready for warmth. xo, olive

Myra said...

My husband has a scale similar to this one in his office. It may find a new home with me now that you have given me these great decorating ideas!

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/From Harvest To Table said...

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting spring! Your vignette looks wonderful. I love, love, love that vintage scale!

Andrea said...

great spring touches! I really need to add more around my home as well. All this snow is feeling so un-spring like!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I adore your scales, and your vignette is gorgeous. Of course the cloches are my favorites too. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

NanaDiana said...

Eagerly awaiting Spring is right! I love the idea of the little acrylic pieces to stabilize the shell- that is so smart. Your whole vignette look very
Springy to me- xo Diana

Susan said...

I love your spring touches. I love all the crusty metal things!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty Spring vignettes - you did good. Yes - I am ready for Spring.
Enjoy your evening.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I am trying to do the same thing...get feeling of Spring into the house! After this snow passes I am hoping that Spring will be coming...fast and furious! I love your scales...nice patina and it can be so versatile with all seasons. ~Hugs, Patti

Blondie's Journal said...

I really like your vignettes, Sue, they have a lot of different textures which make them interesting. The wire cloche is so neat! Anything other than the ho hum glass makes me happy.

We are getting a lot of snow here, I just don't have the urge to bring out anything spring like. But soon I hope!

XO,
Jane

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

Love your scale....I am crazy for scales...and I love the bird in the cage!

Melissa Skidmore said...

I LOVE that scale! Totally amazing! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love all of your beautiful things...I have a scale similar to yours...I love how you placed the cloche on the scale...need to do that!!...

Jemsmom said...

I am so ready for spring I can't stand it!!! We got about 10 to 11 inches of snow here today. Boooooo!!!! My Charleston heart is screaming for some warmer weather and to see GRASS!!!! Love your vignette! The wired cloche on the scale is perfection! Are you warming up or getting the storm that just hit us?

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Everything looks lovely! That vintage scale is so wonderful!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautiful as always Sue!!

Linda Miller said...

Great vintage scale. I love your bluebird. You make me feel that spring will definately come soon.
Reuzeit Emporium Blog
Reuzeit Emporium

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Such a pretty vignette, love your scale. Also the painting...so pretty!
Blessings,
Cindy

Angelina- JoJo & Eloise said...

Oh, I am LOVING that scale.. Your vignette is beautiful and so SPRINGY!! :) Thank you so much for stopping in and linking up at Knock Our Socks Off!! Have a lovely weekend!
xo
Angelina

Sarah said...

Sue, always fun to see what you are up to. Love the scale and all your special spring touches.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Every detail is lovely, Sue. I have an old scale too, but mine has a huge "bin," I guess used for weighing dry goods, so every time I see yours I admire what you do with it. Let's try to plan a spring outing?? ~Zuni

Ivy and Elephants said...

Your vignettes are always so pretty. Thanks for the close ups of that fabulous scale, I always sigh when you show it. Gorgeous!
Hugs,
Patti

Louie Donovan said...

Everything here is adorable, love your designs and decors.

custom wood house  framing