Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Simple Change to the Entry Buffet

buffet1

The entryway buffet has been looking a little sparse ever since I took down the holiday decorations back in January. In fact, it became a catch-all for all things “junk” and “discarded.” I could stand it no more, so as I was cleaning the great room yesterday, I borrowed a few items from around the house and created a new vignette for the entry.

 

orchid 2

I began with this basket from the great room and used it as the focal point for the buffet. The only thing I did was to change out the book, removing this rust colored one and adding in something a bit lighter in color.

 

 

script covered book cover 

Its cover is some undecipherable script- looks a little fancy schmancy….

 

orchid

And the orchid is still pretty, just as it was when it lived in the great room. How could it possibly look anything but good?

It is faux!

 

books

A stack of little blue books tied up with a ribbon just adds a little color to tie in with the wall of artwork going up the stairs.

 

entry wall2

 

 

bowl of keys

I rounded up a bunch of no longer used keys and padlocks and placed them in this tiny silver bowl….

 

bowls of balls

Where they sit in front of this blue seeded bowl filled with some faux greenery balls.

 

buffet2

The bowl balances out the new clear seeded glass lamp that I ordered from Stylecraft Lamps at the last furniture market. The pair has been in one of the guest rooms since Christmas; but since I was tired of the bronze colored lamp that has been here for the past few years, I appropriated one for here, instead. Doing so gives the area a lighter, more contemporary look. Its mate found its home on the sofa table in the great room. That table will be getting a much needed make-over, as well. 

 

Now that the tabletop is cleaned up and styled, I don’t think we’ll be plopping everything and anything on top of it anymore. I can tolerate the mail and my keys on it when I come in from outside, but it’s the scarves, gloves, coffee mugs, and all the “just plain junk” that have been the cause of my dismay and consternation. Can you tell that I’m anxious for the demise of winter and all of the accoutrements that go along with cold weather?

 

Linking to:

Metamorphosis Monday

Mop It Up Monday

Tabletop Tuesday

Wow Us Wednesday

Favorite Things Blog Hop

Treasure Hunt Thursday

Home and Garden Thursday

Creative HomeAcre Hop

31 comments:

NanaDiana said...

It looks great- It makes it easy not to become a 'catch-all' table when it is as pretty as this- xo Diana

Glenda/MidSouth said...

A very pretty vignette ! I really like the way you have gathered the items into a pretty basket. Seems like every surface in my home has become stagnant, since nothing has been changed out in so long. I need to get a faux orchid plant - don't want to spend big bucks on the real deal and my brown thumb surface.
Hope you have enjoyed the weekend.

Stacey said...

Very pretty! That lamp is gorgeous. I love the idea of just a bunch of old keys. Everyone has those. Definitely need to get myself a faux orchid. Some of them look amazingly real.

Sarah said...

Blogger ate my first comment so I'll try again. Love the new look with your clever vignette and the contemporary lamp. Looks terrific!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks great Sue! I love the orchid, faux is the way to go:@)

Debby said...

I love the lamp. Another project well done. It won't be long and we will be junkin again.

Jo said...

Looks like you are ready for Spring!

Susan said...

Your vignette is gorgeous! I love the accessories you chose. Your lamp is so unique.

Salmagundi said...

I love the little silver bowl with all of the old keys. Doesn't everyone have a bunch of unidentified keys? Need to bring mine out. Thanks for the inspiration. Sally

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Interesting and attractive entry vignette.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

BEAUTIFUL Sue!!

xinex said...

Beautiful vignette in the entry, Sue....Christine

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

So pretty, love your silver bowl of keys! :)
Blessings,
Cindy

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/From Harvest To Table said...

Your new vignette looks great. I love that glass lamp!

Olive said...

Sue, the lamp is marvelous. I am a fool over great lamps. xo, olive

farmlady said...

Very nice! I love the old books tied with ribbon.
You always give me such good ideas.

must love junk said...

I seriously love this! All my favorite things right now...silver, greenery 'balls', keys-great job!
Susan

Diane said...

Love the key idea! We have so many keys that are everywhere and we have no idea what locks most of them fit! Everything is so pretty and I think the way you used the basket was so smart.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Your vignette is gorgeous! I love all the carefully placed treasures, especially the bowl of keys and locks. You've inspired me to get some things changed around in my entry.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Beautiful vignette. I love the added texture with the basket, the glass lamp and the plant. Stunning. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Ivy and Elephants said...

A gorgeous vignette. It is so light with the use of the glass items. So chic and classic!
Glad I was able to get to your blog, I'd had some trouble before, but happy to be back!
Hugs,
Patti

Pamela said...

Sue everything looks so beautiful! Thanx for sharing with us at THT.

mail4rosey said...

EVERYTHING looks really great. I love the vintage books, they're just the right size and flavor.

I'm visiting today from Thursday's Favorite Things, and I'm your latest follower.

Katherines Corner said...

It looks lovely, so happy to have you share at the hop my friend hugs and happy weekend wishes!

Lisa Lynn said...

How pretty! Found your post on Thursday Favorite Things! I would love to have you share this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop today :)
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-4.html

Chubby Chieque said...

The simplicity catches my attention and the basketholding the vignette setting, a thoughtful and elegant touch that is never stuffy!

Happy TS,
/CC girl

Lisa Lynn said...

Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre! I can't wait to see what you share next time at...
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-5.html

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Love it girl!! Looks like a photo in a magazine! Beautiful :)

Lou Cinda

Laurie Ritchey said...

It looks so pretty, Sue. I love that lamp, and I love your pictures going up the stairway. Just like you to put old keys and padlocks in a silver container and leave it looking great! Faux orchids are all I've ever been able to keep. laurie

20 North Ora said...

Pretty entry! Love the greenery balls and the dish full of keys. Really inviting.

Judy

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

I love your entry! The pictures in the stairway is pretty, too! I so want to put pictures in mine but our stairway is enclosed and I'm afraid it will make it look too closed it!