Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Much Needed Touch of Color

 

In order to overcome the dreariness of our winter weather, I performed a quick decorating fix in our very neutral great room. The new Smith Brothers furniture arrived back in the fall, but I never showed any of the pieces. Then  the holidays arrived, but I still never showed any part of the room except for the magnolia dressed mantel. So, here’s the room - finally- with its neutral gray pieces, along with the addition of some much needed touches of color.  

sofa and buffet wall

I love Ikat and Suzani inspired prints so thought that these patterned pillows would be perfect in this room.  The tufted back sofa was crying out for something besides the key patterned pillows that I ordered to accent its arms.

 

3 new patterns

The blue in these two pillows is subtle and tends to read a bit on the gray side. I think adding in the muted yellow floral was the perfect foil to them.

 

pillow 1  pillow 2  pillow 3

 

 

buffet

I replaced the baker’s rack that was originally on this long wall with the buffet from the dining room. The ceiling is 18 feet tall and the room was simply crying out for a tall piece of furniture that would take up more vertical wall space. Now I’m looking for a replacement piece for the dining room-  I’m thinking that I should look for an old buffet or china cabinet that I can paint.

 

juliska vase          topiary

A couple pops of green were added to the buffet with a Juliska vase and a boxwood topiary under a small cloche.

 

green tile

I found this old piece of tile at some obscure shop a few years ago and I try to add it into vignettes whenever possible.

 

side chair

Here’s my favorite accent chair in the room. It’s smaller in size than the pair of chairs on the opposite wall. Can you discern what the fabric is depicting? Look closely……

 

chair fabric

It’s a French street map! When I saw this fabric, I knew it would be absolutely perfect to cover this small chair. I had a pair of pillows made to be used on a pair of chairs in front of the entertainment center.

 

side chairs

Here are the other chairs in the room, accented with the pillows in the map fabric. They’re actually quite comfortable, especially for being a more formal style of chair. The metal table between them was a  Christmas gift from the husband. When we ordered it at the fall furniture market, I kinda had it in the back of my mind that I wanted it for myself, but then I forgot about it completely. So glad it was under the tree on Christmas morning! It replaced the leather stool that is now on the side of the chair.

 

metal table with moss ball

The puffy moss ball that was on my vintage scale made its way over to the table to add a shot of color.

 

orchid1

My glass cocktail tabletop received an addition of color with this orchid. What color, you ask? Well, in addition to the white~ the green from the leaves and the little buds, of course!  I took this shot prior to adding in a small khaki colored book that you’ll see in the photo below.

 

basket

Here we go…..  So much better to have an odd number of items in the basket. 

 

orchid closeup 

I need more time to practice, but I think this shot with my new 50 mm lens came out quite well.

 

painted table

I topped this  ASCP painted table with a blue glass bowl filled with moss balls. 

 

large moss balls

                                                                                                 

                                                                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~

This simple room re-styling gave me just the push I needed to get going on my own house decorating. I long for the coming of spring and the opportunity to start shopping estate and yard sales for some unique finds with which to decorate. I’m going to be on the look-out for some blue and white pieces to add to the room. Until then, I’ll be re-painting some rooms, as well as taking down some wallpaper.

So don’t come knocking at my front door unless you want to find me covered in paint spatters and dressed in some pretty unusual articles of clothing. Let’s just say that a pair of baggy old workout pants is part of my favorite go-to outfit. Think turquoise blue with lots of eclectic designs on them. Scary………………

 

 

Linking to:

Metamorphosis Monday

Mop It Up Monday

Wow Us Wednesday

Primp Your Stuff Wednesday

Tutorial Tips and Tidbits

Open House Party

Home and Garden Thursday

Fabulously Creative Friday

25 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I really like using blue with the gray - very pretty! Looks and sounds like you are getting a lot accomplished. Wish I could say the same for me.

Debby said...

It's all beautiful. Love the ASCP table that you painted. The new sofa chairs and pillows are so nice.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, Thank you for sharing your beautiful room at the Open House party. The new pillows are wonderful and I love the paris fabric. xx, Sherry

Olive said...

Sue, the chairs are fantastic. I love the French street fabric. I am going to an estate sale in the morning. Can't wait. hugs, olive

Salmagundi said...

Everything looks wonderful! I love the combination of grays with the colors. So glad you shared your beautiful room with us. Sally

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

It's all lovely Sue! I adore that french map fabric! I would love to have some of that!

Blondie's Journal said...

Your great room looks fabulous, Sue! You really did a great job adding subtle pops of color. I am in love with your buffet, I've never seen anything like it. And of course your Paris map chair is awesome!

How sweet that hubby gave you the table for Christmas. I don't think mine notices, or at least remembers when I see furniture I like. Maybe because I hound him til we get it!!

Keep up the good work...I can't wait to see what you are up to!

XO,
Jane

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

This room looks beautiful Sue! I love the new furniture and the pillows look fabulous!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Seeing all your new furniture pieces together in this room ~ they look wonderful, Sue! I love your sofa and those chairs do look comfortable. Are you getting fed up with the cold and forecasts for snow showers? I am and hope we're done for awhile.

I need to get some Old White chalk paint and was thinking of going to the place where Jean is. I'll give you a call and see if you are covered in wallpaper or free to go. ; )

Balisha said...

Hi Sue,
Everything looks just fabulous. I especially love the French map accent chair....and the fabric used again in pillows. It must be a conversation piece.
Balisha

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I absolutely love the tucked back sofa! The French map chair and the other two are really fun.

Lori E said...

You always have such interesting pieces. Silly me was trying to make the chair picture bigger to see what the pattern was. I was guessing a map and then I scrolled down and duh...you told us and had a close up. Very unique fabric.

chateau chic said...

Your room and furniture are beautiful, especially with your pops of color.
Mary Alice

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Love that couch, beautiful room!

farmlady said...

That work outfit may be "scary" but the living room is beautiful. You sure know how to "dress" a room.
I LOVE THAT SOFA. I have been thinking about a new sofa and I love tufted backs.
It's all beautiful and with a neutral background like gray you can do anything with it. Every season will give it a new look.
Great room!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
LOVE your new sofa..great style and color. The room looks outstanding and your pics are wonderful.

Blessings,
Linda

Kathleen said...

Beautiful, Sue!
Glad you are well, I have seen you around the blogs.
We are in the midst of a blizzard, hope we keep our power!
Here from Yvonne's T T and T.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

It all looks so calm and soothing! Really love the sofa and that chair with the Paris streets fabric!

Pam said...

Great shot of the orchid. I love my 50mm! Is tufted the new thing in furniture this year? I love that look and saw it on another sofa somewhere on the internet and have been thinking about it ever since.

At The Picket Fence said...

What a beautiful room Sue and your new furniture is gorgeous! My favorite is that accent chair and the pops of color from the pillows are just perfect. :-)
Vanessa

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Your room is so open and the new furniture is so chic! I am a big fan of ikat prints too. The ones you chose and the blue and yellow tones looks lovely with your new sofa!
Where did you get that great drum garden stool you got for Christmas. I love the look!

Stacey said...

Your room is beautiful! I love the french map fabric. The new chairs are all shaped so pretty and just the right size.

You know, I just realized that it doesn't seem like I've been to your blog in a long time. There are things I just don't understand about Following on Blogger. Seems like not everyone shows up. I have to work on this and try to figure out a better way.

The "Home Girl" said...

This looks wonderful! I love the touches of color! =D Very very nice!!!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Very pretty room...love the pillows,but what really caught my eye is your mirror in the background - its beautiful!

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

GORGEOUS! Just love the neutral colors and the perfect pops of color! The fabric on the chair is fantastic!
I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday - your post will be featured in this week's party,
Kathy