Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Icy Memories

January always seems to be a month filled with icy, cold weather. It also brings to mind some great childhood memories of my friends and myself skating on a pond kept frozen until April by the shadows of a tall rocky mountain located a few miles outside of the town where I grew up in northern New Mexico. 

skating pond at montezuma

Our little municipality had access to the mountains in under 15 minutes. I bet this might be surprising news to those of you who thought that New Mexico was just sand and desert! The northeastern part of the state gets to enjoy all four seasons.

We used to love to play “crack the whip” while skating on this frozen pond and we always knew to be especially careful not to get too close to the edge of the waterfall or risk going over. I think we were all pretty lucky that we never saw this happen-  it WAS a long drop! Although unseen in this old photograph, there is a wooded clearing in the mountain. It was here that we would climb up the snowy hillside and then slide down in old truck inner tubes. What fun! We  also built snow forts and held some serious snowball fights up on that hill! 

.

 

ice vignette

And while I no longer like to be outside in that kind of weather anymore, bringing a touch of it inside for my decorating doesn’t seem to bother me.The memory of those icy days inspired me to put together a winter vignette on the great room buffet.

.

architectural picture1

A black and white lithograph propped up against the wall became the backdrop for this cold weather inspired vignette. Several shades of gray are in two of the mats, along with the black middle mat; so the overall look is definitely neutral.

 

buffet

My vintage scale was placed off to one side of the tabletop and balanced on the other with a stack of Kraft paper-wrapped books and a crown-topped glass hurricane.  Icy snowball candle holders and glass ice cubes completed the look.

 

with cloche and moss ball

A large cloche tops the faux snow covered marble plate.  I used pearlized  tree ornaments in a silver goblet to represent snowballs- remember I told you that we used to throw them at each other way back when?  Glass ice cubes fill another piece of silver and a moss ball infuses just the right amount of color into the otherwise neutral vignette.

 

silver and ice

 

 

scale weight

Here’s a shot of the scale weight showing off its gorgeous rusty patina.

 

moss ball

These mossy pieces on this ball feel just as soft and cushion-y as they look.

 

penguin cloche

 

 

penguin

A white penguin feels right at home surrounded by blocks of ice- albeit glass, under the glass hurricane.

 

candle holders

I stacked some cubes in the background to represent the blocks of snow that we used to create the snow forts of my youth. The two glass candle holders look like icy snowballs to me. 

 

Many of the items I used to create this tabletop were thriftily purchased at vintage markets or on clearance at some of my favorite shops in the area. I’m not adverse to spending good money on pieces that I know are worth it, but it always gives me such a good feeling to know I bought something “on the cheap!” 

I think I’ve gotten back my mojo after having taken a few weeks away from my blog. I’m embroiled in several painting projects for myself and a client. It’s been nice not having to worry about “having to post,”  but I hope to be spending a bit more time with it now. Also hope to be visiting more, as well. Thanks go out to those of you who wrote asking if I was still alive and well!

 

 

 

 

Linking to:

 metamorphis mon.      mop it up monday     TTT      cowgirl-up-      coastal charm     SavvySouthernWOW                     

  from my front porch to yours          FV     french country cottage     ivy and elephants

36 comments:

Barbara F. said...

It's good to focus on real life even if it means stepping back from blogging. In order for me to blog daily, I would need 1) more $ 2) a husband to help me with craft projects 3)a housekeeper weekly or bi weekly 4) a drug to boost my energy LOL Seriously, though, I love your winter vignette, especially those glass cubes. And the frosty white bird. xo

Salmagundi said...

Great vignette! Glad to have you back. Sally

Debby said...

Very nice my friend. Love the bird and the cubes.

~ Liz ~ said...

Love the icy feel. It's been mostly around 80 degrees here all winter. The thought of cold is nice.
Liz

middle child said...

What a beautiful place to grow-up!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love your winter display! I have a feeling we're going to have an early spring!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I just love your scale. You have a great winter vignette there with the silver and pinecone cloche and snow and ice. Plus a great print.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I am on the lookout for a vintage scale like yours. Great vignette.

Jo said...

Love the display It does seem like life lately has gotten in the way of blogging...glad to see you got your mojo back

Lori E said...

It never would have occurred to me that you would have been skating outdoors in New Mexico.
I for one am glad you never went over the falls.
You have represented your memories well here.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Such fun memories!! Beautiful vignette Sue!

Katherines Corner said...

lovely bits of winter inside xo

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great vignette, Sue! I love seeing what you come up with for that scale. Love the print, too.

P.S. I'll be in touch soon. Haven't been feeling 100%.

Sarah said...

Welcome back. I'm bringing my scale back for a valentine vignette on the sideboard. ;-)

Laurie Ritchey said...

Sue, I love this vignette, and I loved reading your memories of winter fun. I am so envious of your scale. It is such a beauty. I keep looking for a bargain on one, but haven't had any luck yet. This vignette definitely says winter. Glad we're both back to our blogs. Those ice cubes are great! I want some of those too. laurie

Olive said...

Hi Sue, that scale is a wonder piece. the patina on it adds so much to your icy vignette. xo, olive

Pat said...

I love the vignette Sue. The lithograph print is wonderful!

I stopped worrying about fitting posts to parties and just started posting on January 1st, whatever popped into my head. Who knew...I've published 21 posts in 21 days and have two or three in draft. Funny how just relaxing and enjoying the blog ride, like I used to, really got the creative juices flowing.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty Winter vignettes! Enjoyed reading about your Winters in NM. I knew NM was not all flat and sand - I have driven thru the mountains before. :) We enjoyed some unseasonably warm days here, but looks like we are back to the miserable cold. :/
Have a great week.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

That is a lovely vignette and even more special because of your childhood winter memories. The scale is a fantastic piece.

Kathleen said...

Glad you are well and keeping busy!
We have snow and ice now, hope it disappears soon!

I will spend on something I really want and can pass down, but I do like finding bargains!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Gorgeous vignette. I love that scales, and of course the cloche is definitely my favorite. Beautiful vignette. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Paula said...

It's nice to see you back!

Both of my parents were born in Northern New Mexico! My mom was from Raton, and my dad was from Springer. Where were you born?

Betty's corner of the world said...

you always wow me sue ..everything you do is beautiful and inspiring..I love your winter vignette.

Betty's corner of the world said...

you always wow me sue ..everything you do is beautiful and inspiring..I love your winter vignette.

Sue said...

love that vintage scale...and the Penguin with the ice cubes...too cute...I like your 's better then one of our nutty neighbors who thinks it looks good to have two stainless steel Penguins sitting out on his front porch...they remind me of that ice bucket fro the 1950's with the penguins all around....only not as cute and totally tacky to have on your front porch...

Rettabug said...

I've got chills, just looking at your winter scenes, Sue. Or maybe it is the -5º outside that is causing them. YIKES!! What a difference from last winter,huh?

We both pulled out our Kosta Boda crystal snowball votive holders. I just love using mine in the winter...it looks so pretty when lit.

Stay inside where its safe & warm, my friend,
Hugs,
Rett

xinex said...

Beautiful vignettes, Sue. Love the cloches and the antique scale...Christine

Katherines Corner said...

lovely!!! one day I will have a cloche or two. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I love those pics, they just are amazing! And your vignette is amazing too, what gorgeous elements. You did good Sue!
Hugs,
Cindy

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Wonderful memories of your childhood Sue. Your vignette really does look like a winter scene.

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Your vignette is so pretty! Love the scale and everything you've done to spiffy it up!
Hope you've had a WONDERFUL Saturday!
Blessings,
Cindy

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

This vignette is lovely, Sue, as is your commentary. Love the story of the frozen lake--in New Mexico!! :) I really like the neurals in your vignette, with a single pop of very-appropriate color. You showed great restraint in this vignette, and it paid off! Thanks for visiting me; I've been thinking about you lately. I hope we can do a spring get-together, or even sooner, to get us warmed up for spring and summer shopping and blogging! ~Zuni

The 2 Seasons said...

The vintage scale is amazing! I love how you used it and now I am wishing I had one to work with. Something now to be on the look out for when I go thrifting!

The 2 Seasons said...

The vintage scale is amazing! I love how you used it and now I am wishing I had one to work with. Something now to be on the look out for when I go thrifting!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue!
We all need a break from blogging now and then. I missed it when I was so busy with my move.

I enjoyed reading your New Mexico memories. Many don't realize how hig in elevation NM is! I hope to visit NM many times now that I live closer to it.

Your winter vignette is beautiful! I love your vintage scale

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh how I LOVE this 'lil vignette... My very bestestest friend does all white winter decorating... no tree... just "winter".... then she can leave the whole shabang up until spring.. I think that's a grand idea. It takes so much time to change things around..

So glad you survived the waterfall. I'm such a chicken.. I'd never have made it onto the ice.

Take care of yourself!

Huggies,
Spencer