Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Red, White, and Blue Holiday Basket

 

 

basket 2

When I found this metal basket at a Tipp City antique mall last month, I knew that it would be perfect for Christmas, all filled with greenery. My dilemma, however, was a theme. Why I think I have to have some sort of direction to follow, instead of just rolling with the flow, is just another quirk in my personality. Knowing that I wasn’t going to decorate an old fashioned country tree this year, I pulled a few out ornies out of a storage box that were what I termed to be Americana.  Yes, I was going to put together a patriotic red, white, and blue basket.

 

 

basket on basket

I set the filled basket on top of a vintage wicker hamper that was a barn sale find in Granville, Ohio several years ago. The hamper’s latest home is now at the end of the kitchen island and it seemed the perfect spot for my holiday basket.

 

 

soldier 2

I used a wooden soldier as the backdrop to the basket. This guy is dressed in full regalia, topped with one of those pompadour helmets. It’s amazing how long he’s been around. I can remember buying him back in the early 80’s, when country d├ęcor was so popular. 

 

patriotic basket

I wanted to be able to see the Fraser fir greenery in this display, so I only inserted a few items into it. A few flags, some glass balls and some country themed ornaments were the perfect amount of things to bring this themed basket to life.

 

uncle sam's hat

Uncle Sam’s hat, with its stripes and stars, was a purchase for one of our first themed trees about 30 years ago.

 

soldier

Another toy soldier sits among the red, white, and blue….

 

flags

I had to tuck in some more Americana in the form of  some napkin rings perfect for Independence Day. I found a set of eight at a yard sale a few summers ago and they only cost me a buck. The flag on the left is constructed out of a crinkly paper whose name escapes me and the small one on the right is made out of wood.

 

glass balls

Shiny red, white and blue glass balls….

 

star

A glazed, ceramic star and another of the napkin rings….

 

 

                                                                                                                      ~~~~~~~~

Thinking of my hairdresser’s son currently in the military and serving overseas is what finally gave me the inspiration to put themed basket together. He will be away from home and his family for the first time this Christmas. Please keep all of our troops in your thoughts and prayers this holiday season.

10 comments:

Jemsmom said...

Hi Sue!!!! I have been such a neglectful blogger! I am loving all your Christmas decor and the America basket is perfect. I think it is easy to forget the men and women who are away from their families when it isn't close to us. I just had a sorority sister have her husband come home. He got to meet his baby daughter who is 6 months old for the first time. I don't know how many times I cried looking at their pictures! She has been close to my heart and I have watched her raise this little creature all alone with nary a complaint. I can't begin to imagine the heartbreak her husband when through knowing he wasn't going to be able to hold his first child until she was 6 months. He had to miss out on so much! It really brought it home to me and I try to remember those folks everyday. I think having such a sweet tribute in your home is brilliant!

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Your holiday themed basket is so pretty!

Merry Christmas Sue :)
Dee

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Hi Sue, That was a great idea to use those ornaments in that metal basket (great find).

Your Americana display is wonderful!

NanaDiana said...

Sue- It looks great. I have to tell you that looks just like the soldiers I made and sold back in the early 80's. I saw a bunny on someone's blog the other week and I am almost positive it is one I made...lol Anyway, I love your basket-it is a nice tribute to our country-especially in light of what has happened in the recent past- xo Diana

Kathleen said...

That is adorable! I hope you are well, and have a very blessed Christmas!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Beautiful creation Sue!

Have a very Merry Christmas!
Big hugs, Sherry & Wes

20 North Ora said...

What a beautiful thing to do with the patriotic basket.

Merry Christmas.

Judy

Balisha said...

I love the idea of remembering our troops in our holiday decorating. Your basket is great.
Merry Christmas,
Balisha

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I am smitten with your patriotic basket Sue. I have a friend who does a patriotic tree and it's fabulous. And she sits it on an old drum. Happy New Year. xo

Laurie Ritchey said...

Sue, I love this basket you've put together. laurie