Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Mississippi Magnolia Mantel

 

 

magnolia mantel

I wanted to keep this year’s holiday decorations much simpler than in years past, so I just left my moss-filled urns in place and filled in the top of the mantel

with two different kinds of greenery.

But the mantel didn’t get fully dressed until I received a special gift from blogging friend, Teresa Parsons, from Our Southern Country Home and Farm.

I had commented on one of Teresa’s recent blog posts about her own fireplace mantel, telling her that she was so lucky to live in the south and have access

to unlimited magnolia cuttings.

She then e-mailed me back to say that she would be happy to cut some more branches and send them to me.

I took her up on her offer and I received my box of Mississippi magnolia branches a few days later.

Was that not one of the most generous offers you’ve ever heard of?

So when you’re done here, pop on over to her site to see her gorgeous mantel as well as an adorable photo

of her dog, Sophie, and Santa Claus.

 

 

magnolia branches

I took these photos of the mantel at the blue hour, so there is a bit of a yellow cast to them as the sun was rising.

You can see that I kept things balanced and placed the bunches on leaves in three spots on the mantel.

Then I filled in with some large pinecones and a couple of votive cups.

When I stood back to see my handiwork, the fireplace still seemed a bit empty;

so I swagged a long strand of clear beads from one end of the mantel to the other.

I think it made all the difference as far as completing the look I was after.

 

 

 

magnolias2

I just love the symmetry of the branches and the glossiness of their waxy leaves.

Can you see that lovely blue cast to the sky outside the window?

 

 

magnolias 3

Here’s one of the giant, spiny pinecones tucked within the greenery.

 

 

fireplace 2012

This is another view of the fireplace looking from the opposite direction.

 

 

DSC_0072-001

I placed my stenciled cheese box on one side of the hearth. It’s topped with two trees I found last month at a church holiday sale.

I paid $6.50 for the pair. A bargain, if I say so myself….

 

little angel

The ceramic angel is a vintage find from last year.

 

 

DSC_0073

A garden lantern balances the opposite side of the hearth.

I placed four battery-operated grunge candles into the holders. They really do flicker this warm, golden color.

.

stone fireplace

 

~~~~~

Now that my head has stopped spinning and the vertigo has gone away, I’ll be able to finish editing my photos and get them posted.

I have never been this late showing my home all dressed for the holidays!

The trees pretty much all look the same- changing the themes for all of them every year could get expensive.

I didn’t put up the 12-footer this year.

When I got my new furniture for the great room, I re-configured its placement and there was no room at all for that big,fat tree.

But eight trees still made an appearance. Big, small, minis…..

You’ll see them soon!

 

 

 

Sharing with:

metamorphis mon.          coastal charm         cowgirl-up-           countdown       SavvySouthernWOW   

              from my front porch to yours     ivy and elephants     thrifty things friday          inspiration friday button

22 comments:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

I love it, Sue! The magnolia branches look wonderful! Teresa is so sweet; and yes, she does fabulous mantelscapes! I love the magnolia branches, along with your urns. Very pretty!

Lori E said...

The mantle is so natural and beautiful and then bam! a bit of bling just tops it off. Good choice Ethel.
How lucky you are to have received the magnolia branches. They just look gorgeous.

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful, Sue! I so wish we had magnolia trees here, the leaves are so shiny and pretty. Love the old clock and your hearth is just perfection! Now, I have to get to work on mine! :)

XO,
Jane

Glenda/MidSouth said...

How pretty - very elegant looking!
Looking forward to seeing your trees. I did well to get my little one decorated. :/
Have a great week.

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Love it Sue! Do ya'll grow those huge pine cones there? I did use some pine cones this time and sprayed them with snow, but ours don't look like that! So glad you like the magnolia's, and that I was able to send them. Can't wait to see the eight tree's. You have to be worn out from all of the decorating!

Pam said...

I thought maybe you had drove down to Georgia to bring back some magnolia branches. Those look gorgeous. such a different look that we're used to around these parts. Looking forward to your trees!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love your church sale trees and the little angel. The mantel looks great too. I have never used magnolia on my mantel. It's beautiful.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That was so sweet and generous of her! Your mantel looks really great!

Olive said...

Sue, the magnolia leaves are gorgeous on the mantel. We have two magnolia trees and I hardly use them. I should be ashamed. You are down to eight trees? That should have been a breeze...just kidding. I would be crushed if I had that many. I am glad you have recovered from vertigo. I know how horrid that is. Happy Christmas, Olive

Mary Ellen said...

Glad you are finally feeling better Sue!

Your mantel and home looks beautifully decorated! How sweet for you friend to send you those lovely magnolia leaves- they really are pretty.

I am still trying to get my 500 Christmas ministry letters out- taking a little break to come visit as stuffing envelopes gets very boring!

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

What a beautiful rustic feel! It's all perfect!
♥Linsey

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Sue, Your mantle is beautiful and I love the lantern. That was so sweet of Teresa to send you the leaves. Happy Holidays! xx, Sherry

newhousetohome said...

Your link caught my eye because I am also in Ohio. Your fireplace is beautiful, and I love how homey everything looks. Have a merry Christmas!

Jemsmom said...

I have been missing you!!! I am in love with your mantle! I wanted to go simple on mine but that never happens! Ha! I love the simple rustic look of yours. It is just gorgeous. I tell you what... I didn't realize how lucky I was to have so many plants and trees available to me in Charleston. I would just go around the neighborhood and cut. We don't have anything here and they charge you an arm and a leg for cuttings!! It is crazy! I am envious of your Mississippi magnolia! I need to coerce a friend next year to send me some!!

xinex said...

This really very pretty, Sue. How nice of Teresa to send you the magnolia cuttings! Aren't blogger friends the best? The swag really added to it's beauty too....Christine

ImSoVintage said...

I don't think there is anything prettier than magnolia leaves at Christmas. :)
Laura

Denise Marie said...

What a fun thing to receive in the mailbox!

Diann said...

Everything is gorgeous Sue! And what a sweetheart to send you those beautiful magnolia leaves! I always see them and think how fortunate the folks in the south are to have them. They look beautiful! Thank you for sharing this with us at TTF. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Kathleen said...

You have a beautiful home, Sue. My mom had a tri leg table just like yours. Love it!

Susan said...

Sue , Everything looks absolutely gorgeous!! I love the table!!

Ivy and Elephants said...

You know you had me at the word Mississippi, my home state! Love the way you've used those gorgeous leaves. Thanks so much for linking, you are a feature this week. Hope you stop by and grab a featured button.
Hugs,
Patti

Laurie Ritchey said...

Oh how gorgeous your mantel and hearth are! I love every single thing you've done on it. laurie