Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Holiday Decorated Kitchen Hutch

 

Styling the kitchen hutch is always fun and creating a theme it for the Christmas season makes it all the more special.

I nearly always display everyday white dinnerware on it, then add other patterns to accent it. I didn’t deviate from this method for this year’s holiday styling.

This Christmas season, I added a set of luncheon/dessert plates with a rocking horse theme into the mix.

 

full view hutch

 

 

 

 

rocking horse dinnerware

These plates and mugs were my first set of Christmas dishes and were purchased the first Christmas after we moved into our new house.

They’re perfect for serving appetizers and desserts, as well as for sipping hot spiced cider or coffee.

 

 

rocking horse plate

The rims of the plates and mugs are accented with white poinsettias- my favorite color for this holiday plant- and small bugles tied up in red ribbon.

 

 

mug

 

Now before I show you anymore of the hutch, I want to refresh your memory as to what it looked like before I made a little transformation to it.

 

hutch 1

I never liked the brown paneling that was the back panel of this piece of furniture.

I contemplated replacing it with beadboard, but never seemed to get around to it.

At one point, I went so far as wrapping cardboard inserts with fabric and placing them in the two lower shelf areas of the hutch.

When I tried to install the top shelf where the plate rail is, the insert wouldn’t fit without bending the cardboard out of shape.

The rails couldn’t be removed because they were built into the frame of the cabinet, so the attempt was a lost cause.

That was two years ago and I just have lived with the situation.

That was, until this past weekend, when I spotted some wonderful wrapping paper at my local Marshall’s Store.

Paper is much more easily maneuvered than stiff cardboard, so it was the perfect solution to creating an interesting background.

 

 

wrapping paper

Here’s what a roll of $3.00 paper looks like…..

It’s a musical staff in a neutral Kraft paper look-alike. The rolls were such a bargain that I bought 3 other patterns.

And I don’t think I’ll be wrapping any presents with them, either!

 

 

So this is what the wrapping paper now looks like as the background for the hutch’s shelves.

paper  background closeup

I think it’s perfect for the holiday season!

It took me a while to measure twice and cut once so the inserts would be just the right size for the shelf backgrounds, but the time was so worth it.

 

 

tureen

I love the shape of this little white tureen that I found while out thrifting a few years ago.

I simply surrounded it with some greenery to take away the starkness.

It needed a lift to match the height of the dinnerware on the opposite side of the shelf,

so I just placed it on top of a small suitcase.

 

 

stacked dinnerware

Here’s the stacked dinnerware on the other end of the shelf. It’s my go-to white Gibson stoneware purchased before

Old Time Pottery closed its Dayton location. Now, the nearest location is in Columbus- I really need to make the trip to see

what goodies I can find.

 

 

decanter tops

To the right of the stacked plates, I used greenery and berries in these little “vases.”

Except, they really aren’t miniature vases….

They are the tops to glass decanters turned upside down and filled with water to keep the greenery fresh.

They were a thrifty find from the booth of my friend, Jean, who is also my stockist for Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint.

 

 

platter

In the center of the shelf, I used the dinnerware serving platter as the backdrop for a framed Scherenschnitte picture.

 

 

spindles

Adding a touch of vintage are these wooden spools.

I have a large stash of these and they come in so handy as filler material and candlesticks.

 

 

game2

I had to include a little touch of whimsy to the tabletop with this game.

It’s a little framed picture with five little steel balls that you have to maneuver into holes,

without dislodging the other balls that may already be in their place.

Do any of you remember these things?

I always seemed to get a cheaper version of them in my box of Cracker Jack’s when I was a kid.

 

 

ball filled cloche

The middle shelf of the hutch is is only 15 inches wide and it was just enough room for this ball-filled cloche.

 

 

 

clock knob

Before I forget, I have to show you the new knobs I put onto the drawers and doors.

The original knobs were plain wooded ones, stained to match the brown paneling. Not very pretty….

Why did I wait so long to change them out, I’m wondering?!

 

 

vintage rocking horse

Continuing the rocking horse theme on the top of the hutch is this guy.

This stained wooded rocking horse once graced our son’s room when he was a baby.

 

 

christmas hutch 2012

I’m happy with the holiday look. 

Now I just need to get the room’s Christmas tree up and decorated.

I have three trees completed so far, but many more to go.

And then there’s the mantel that’s awaiting some real southern magnolia branches……

More on that as soon as they get here!

~~~~~

 

Sharing this post with:

Kimbutton1     coastal charm     sherry     charm of home          from my front porch to yours     farmhousefridaybutton     metamorphis mon.    CherriesFotoFlexer_Photo

 

2805     Home & Garden Thursday Button     cowgirl-up-     Seasonal Sunday Teapot resized_thumb[3]     vintage inspiration button     tuesday's treasures uncommon slice of suburbia     Inspiration Friday Graphic     home for holidays

 

40 comments:

Mumzie said...

I love it! Sue, you are reminding me that I need to start decorating ASAP. Yvonne

Mumzie said...

Hi Sue, it's me...Mumzie!

Salmagundi said...

Always fun to visit your posts! The changes to the hutch are wonderful - you are a master at detail. Have a great week. Sally

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

You did a great job on your hutch, Sue! I love it all! Those plates are so cute. Love your solution to the back. The paneling looks a little like beadboard already ~ I'll bet you could just paint it, but the paper looks great. Love your little tureen with the greenery. Yes ~ I do remember those games! I also remember getting frustrated with it. : )

Debbiedoo's said...

Oh Sue that was so very clever of you with the sheet music. I love the rocking horse plates. It really looks fantastic.

Pat said...

This is so pretty Sue. I always enjoy seeing what you do with your kitchen cabinet.

Andrea said...

gorgeous! I love your Christmas dishes =)

Barbara F. said...

Your hutch looks beautiful, it always does, for every season. Love the rocking horse theme, and the musical note paper! I want to do something with my entertainment center, I was going to use foam board and spray it a light color, then I thought of using sheet music! You have inspired me. xo

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, your hutch looks wonderful!! Love the rocking horse...he is the perfect accent! The sheet music is beautiful, too! Can't wait to see your mantel. I used magnolias, too, this year. I know yours will be gorgeous!

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Your hutch looks beautiful! I love your sweet little dishes and adding the music paper to the backs looks just wonderful. Love love love it.
be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue, I noticed the music paper in the background before I noticed the Christmas china and I really love it! I can't believe it is wrapping paper. From the photo it looks like you did some fancy craft thing! It all goes together perfectly and I think it looks great!~Hugs, Patti

Karina Russell said...

You did a beautiful job. I love that it is subtle, but so festive.

Debby said...

I love the music paper that you used. I like those dishes, too. Ready for a break on Friday?

Stacey said...

Very pretty and fun too. I love what you did with the music paper. The knobs are great too. There are just so many fun knobs these days. I could change them out regularly. :)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

All your holiday touches are so pretty. I really like the wrapping paper. I had made a note to go get my little rocking horse and wooden train out of the closet several days ago - you just reminded me. :D I am slow in getting anything done this year.:/

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Meant to add - I do remember those little games ! :D

Blondie's Journal said...

I love everything, Sue! First, the hutch is gorgeous. Why they would use brown paneling for the back is beyond me but I adore what you did with the sheet music paper! Your dishes are wonderful and I love your son's rocking horse on top!

You have been busy! Hope you post your trees!

XO,
Jane

Pam said...

Aren't you creative with the wrapping paper. It looks great!

Olive said...

You know I covet that hutch Sue. I have convinced Joe that I really need one. Love your Christmas touches. Olive

Lori E said...

I didn't think it could look any prettier than it did but that paper is a big hit. Love it.
You have such nice pieces and always display them so well.

NanaDiana said...

Sue- It looks so nice. I love the music touch...wonderful and Christmasy now! xo Diana

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Thanks for sharing your hutch all decked out for the holidays...love how you added the sheet music wrapping paper (looks great). I see that you are using old wooden spools in your decor this year (me too).

Blessings,
Linda

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Your hutch looks great, Sue. Love the music added to the back.

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

Love the transformation you gave your hutch. Love the holiday look - the red balls under the cloche are so pretty! And the game is a fun addition - I have one of those that is an Easter theme and I always try to work it in somewhere in the spring!

At The Picket Fence said...

It's beautiful Sue!! I absolutely love the music paper on the back and I found some very similar last year at TJ Maxx. Gotta love those stores, huh? Your dishes are so lovely and you truly made it look so festive! :-)
Vanessa

Donnamae said...

Love the wrapping paper...great idea! Hutch is so cute...you always do a great job! ;)

Sonia said...

Your hutch is beautiful! I love all the touches you have put on it! That wrapping paper is just perfect....may to have to do this to one of my hutches! Love the sweet dishes too! Merry Christmas!
Miss Bloomers

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Those dishes are soo sooo cute! Your hutch looks great all decked out for Christmas. Love all your little special touches!

chateau chic said...

Your hutch looks so festive with your sweet Christmas dishes. Love the "vases" holding greens.
Mary Alice

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Oh my, this was a wonderful idea. Did you stick the paper directly to the wood or did you cover inserts? I LOVE that paper. I have a set of to book case I use for china and I want to paint them black so badly. I just have not had the nerve. I papered the backs of the shelves..with wall paper and just used wallpaper paste. I am hoping I can remove it the same way you do with regular wall paper. Like you, I could not fit in inserts..and the posts could not be moved.
Your hutch is just beautiful..Everything is just beautiful!! S'cuse me whilest I run back and take a second peek! :)

Laurie Ritchey said...

Sue, you are just brilliant. I love the paper behind the shelves, and I love the upside down decanter tops! Your shelves look so pretty. Thank you for stopping by with words of encouragement for our little Dylan. laurie

Linda Young said...

Your hutch looks beautiful! I just love the music paper background! You are so clever! Your dishes are pretty, you've arranged everything so nicely! I wish you and yours a wonderful joyous Christmas! Linda

Ivy and Elephants said...

I love the music paper in the back!
So subtle, but so right. It adds just the right vintage touch. Your hutch and all it's pretty trinkets looks just perfect for the holidays.
Hugs to you,
Patti

Susie Q said...

So pretty Sue! I love the design on the dishes...the paper addition to the back is perfect! Really pops! LOVE he new knobs! I too keep thinking I will change mine and never get around to it! I think you have inspired me! I still want to take you to lunch...sent an email but didn't hear back. Maybe you are too busy...soon maybe?
Love,
Sue

Karen Mary Butterfly said...

I just love it. It looks like that paper was just made for that hutch. Looks fantastic. Everything shows up so well against the black too. Pretty.
Karen

must love junk said...

Your hutch looks gorgeous and that paper is the perfect finishing touch!
Susan

Sherry said...

Very pretty! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home and have a Merry Christmas!
Sherry

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Sue. I love it! I love the little bottles with the sprigs of evergreen and berries, the old spools, the sheet music...all! My mother has those dishes too, and I think they're wonderful. Just the other day I was thinking that you don't see this pattern much, and it's so pretty! Merry Christmas to you! ~Zuni

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Beautiful!! Love the music sheet backing....looks perfect!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Lou Cinda :)

Sandy said...

Sue, It's been awhile since I've visited. Love your hutch decor (what I can see of it). Is it just me but every blog that I've visited today that is on blogspot has tiny little thumnail pictures and I'm unable to make them bigger. I'm on my ipad so I don't know if it's me or if it's blogger. Sure wish I could make the pics bigger so I could really enjoy your decor.