Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Front Door Greetings

Sharing the entrance to our home decorated for the holidays….

entry3

I used natural greens for the garland surrounding the doorway. I started out draping the door frame with a single strand of white pine, but it looked way too straggly. I like a fuller, more lush look, so I added in some lacy chartreuse greens and a strand of of strung pinecones and sticks. 

The ceramic garden candleholder urns have stayed in front of the sidelight since last year. They are designed to hold a single candle about halfway down the urn. When the candle burns, the holes in the urn dissipate the light and cast some great shadows.

 

reindeer

On the opposite side of the door, my metal reindeer came out to play and I surrounded his neck with a collar of acorns, twigs, and berries. I tucked in a few sprigs of greenery to frou-frou him up, too.  Doesn’t he have some great curly antlers? 

 

doorway

We have exterior lighting that highlights specific features on the house façade, but because I wanted to see the garland in the two story entryway without having the porch lights turned on, I focused two of the spotlights more towards the door.  I just tell people not to look directly into them so they don’t get blinded as they are coming out of the house!

 

grapevine trees

I filled two urns with greenery, plopped grapevine trees onto them, then lit them with a strand of golden lights.

 

doorway

We’ll be having more company after Christmas Day, so this décor will stay up until the second week of January.  I hope the garland stays fresh and doesn’t shed  all of its needles. I keep forgetting to go out and spritz it with my water bottle.  It’s gotten rained on numerous times, so I guess that has helped. Southwest Ohio winters are notorious for providing us with downpours. Very strange for me, coming from New Mexico, where we never saw rain in the winter- just lots of snow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

.

Here’s wishing all of you

a

very Merry Christmas!

 

 

Sharing with:

metamorphis mon.                    SavvySouthernWOW

24 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Merry Christmas Sue!!
Your entrance looks beautiful!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty and welcoming, Sue! Merry Christmas!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very Pretty and Festive!
A Very Merry Christmas to you also!

Babs said...

Sue, Merry Christmas! Hope you and your family have the best Christmas ever!
Hugs,
Babs

Debby said...

Beautiful my friend. Happy Holidays. I think you will be having snow soon instead of rain.

farmlady said...

Beautiful entrance, Sue. Love the reindeer.
May the New Year bring you and yours many blessings.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your home looks very welcoming Sue! Merry Christmas:@)

Jo said...

Merry Christmas Sue! Love the garlands

Lori said...

I love my red door and yours too! So fun at Christmas.

funhomethings.com said...

What a gorgeous porch! I love it:)

Katie

NanaDiana said...

Sue, Somehow I missed this post earlier. It is gorgeous. I just love how festive and beautiful everything looks. Blessings and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. xo Diana

June Caedmon said...

What a welcoming entrance, Sue! Very nicely done. Love your use of natural greens!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

What a beautiful entryway!! I love those urns. I'll bet they look so pretty with the candlelight :) Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog. I've missed my bloggy friends!
Blessings,
Marcia

Laurie Ritchey said...

Sue, Your entry is beautiful without Christmas decor, but the lush greenery around the door and the pretty trees in the urns make it so special for the holidays. Love your reindeer too. laurie

Mary Ann at classic•casual•home said...

This is so pretty and welcoming!
Happy New Year, Sue!

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Your outdoor decor is beautiful Sue! Your entrance is very inviting. I love your adorable reindeer :)

Dee

The Tablescaper said...

Your home looks lovely.

Happy New Year.

- The Tablescaper

A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

How fun, trying to catch up on blog reading now after the holidays and now I'm seeing all the fun decor posts. :)
Happy New Years!

Lori E said...

It is magazine perfect. I love it. Lighting is a tough one. I really like your reindeer. I like the rough metal pieces in garden decor.

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

Sue, You really have an amazing front curb appeal - your red door is amazing for Christmas decor, too - love it!

If you ever get to north Columbus let me know and we can have tea. Would love to meet another Ohioan blogger!
We need to have a "meet and greet" don't we?

Thanks so much for visiting me today and for your sweet comments!!

Robin said...

Gorgeous! I just stumbled onto your blog and I really like your header picture.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Sue. I'm a little late getting here...where did the holidays go?! Your home looks so inviting! I'm sure (or should I say I hope?) your guests oooohhhh'd and aaaahhhh'd over it all. I especially love the twig trees. I've always wanted one of the big ones and don't know why I haven't gotten one.

Thanks for stopping by my Three Kings post...no gifts on January 6? You poor child, you!! :) In Cuba the number of gifts was actually reversed: Santa brought the "good," smaller items (as in good jewelry, yes, to the kiddies), and the Three Kings were the ones that brought all the toys! I still remember their last visit to our home in Cuba, because they came on the 6th and we left on the 8th, so I had to leave my toys behind. I was able to bring one beautiful doll I still have. Come to think of it, I should do a post about her!

Happy new year, Sue. I hope we can meet up again soon. ~Zuni

Rettabug said...

I loved, loved, LOVED seeing all your holiday decorations, Sue! I hope you are taking a much needed break & have gone somewhere warm. Praying that you're not down with the flu, like so many others.

Gentle germ free hugs from your Northern neighbor,
Rett

Sandy said...

Sue your holiday decorations were gorgeous! Dropping by to say hello and Happy New Year! I see you haven't blog in a couple weeks. Hope all is well with you.