Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Simple Server

The campaign style server in the dining room seems to stay simply accessorized throughout the year, and this fall is no exception.

 

fall tabletop1

There is always a trio of pedestals on the chest, but for this display, I removed one and replaced it with a metal vase filled with sunflowers.

The addition of a cut glass compote filled with sweet-smelling fall potpourri completed the simple look.

 

buffet lamp

The two buffet lamps by Stiffel were ordered at market many years ago, before the look became popular years later in all the discount stores

like Tuesday Morning, Marshalls, and Home Goods. These are quality lamps and very heavy, unlike less expensive versions.

I’ve used them throughout the house and they finally settled into their home on the server a few years ago. 

 

 

sunflower vase

I think that nothing says fall more than sunflowers, so some faux silks were added for bright color.

 

textured vase 

The alligator-like texture of the vase is simple, yet intriguing.

 

compote

I  got into a cut glass collecting mode several years ago, so now I have a gigantic collection of compotes, trays, and bowls gleaned from yard and estate sales.

They’re perfect for finishing out table displays and come in handy as serving pieces, as well. 

.

sunflower petals

I wish you could smell this fragrant potpourri composed of bits and pieces of dried sunflowers.

It is sweetly scented, yet not over-powering.

 

pedestals

When displaying these pedestals, I’ve always had two of them standing upright and one of them lying on its side.

It always cracks me up when people come into the room then ask me if I’m aware that one of them has fallen. Some of them even take it upon themselves to stand it up.

And I know that the cleaning lady thought I was nuts, but she finally figured out that it should be replaced to the same position after she dusted the tabletop!

~~~~~

The next few days will be busy ones. We’re headed out for the furniture market in North Carolina tomorrow and I’m anxious to see all the new fall arrivals in furniture and accessories.

I should have some photos in my next post. The weather is expected to be clear and crisp, so I’m hoping to see some gorgeous autumn colors along the drive down to High Point. 

Have a great weekend.

 

Linked to:

                   metamorphis mon.     from my front porch to yours     FV          Home & Garden Thursday Button     charm of home     vintage_inspiration_button187    

23 comments:

Olive Cooper said...

Hi Sue, the table is lovely. It is funny that folks want to stand up that piece. North Carolina will be wonderful this time of year. I will be in the north Georgia mountains soon visiting my kiddo in college. xo, olive

Kathy said...

You are such a classy gal!
enjoyed all the fall catch up here, love your home.
xo, Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Susan said...

Sue your server display looks very elegant!! It is so very pretty!

Salmagundi said...

I always look forward to your market trips - can't wait for your photos. I've also picked up cut & pressed glass pieces at yard sales, etc. They are great for unifying a buffet of food when entertaining. Have a safe trip. Sally

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very Pretty! A look that won't go out of style.
Have an enjoyable and safe trip. Hope you have good weather, and the Fall colors should be really pretty now.

Cindy Ritchie said...

Have fun in NC! Love your Stiffel lamps. I always look for them at Estate Sales. One day I'm going to pull the trigger LOL.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Looks great, Sue. Have fun in NC. I will be in NC, too for the Southern Blogger's Conference.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, your server looks great! Very classic and elegant!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautiful vignette Sue! Love those lamps!

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

Lovely display - and that is really funny about the pedestal!!

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Oh, this is so lovely!
Hope you're doing well.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Sue!

I love the classic look of the server with the lamps and pictures. Too funny about the "fallen" pedestal. Just curious, do you always tip the same one?

The use of the different textures, in the crystal and vase, adds interest and of course a soft natural fragrance is always welcome.

Have fun at High Point. I will look forward to seeing what is new this year, so take LOTS of pictures!

xoxo Bunny Jean

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Beautiful vignette! Love the lamps, you can tell they are great quality! ...and the mix of different textures is interesting! And I really like the way you cleverly displayed the finial on it's side! Very well done!

Marla and Steve said...

Beautiful accessories.

suzyq said...

I just love your vignette - those lamps are gorgeous!
Your newest follower - would love to have you visit and follow back when you have the time:)
Hugs,
Suzan

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

It is so lovely and I love the lamps! Funny little story about the cleaning lady. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from The Charm of Home. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Pam @ Frippery said...

Very pretty vignette Sue. I can't wait to see the photos from NC. I love to see what the next "big" thing is supposed to be trend wise. We need to meet up sometime soon. I am booked on weekends with shows. I feel like I will never have free time anymore!

Pamela said...

Sue everything looks just beautiful! Thanx so much for sharing at THT!

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Lovely vignette Sue, the lamps are great and love the pedestals - beautifully displayed! I like the addition of the sunflowers too - I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Sherry said...

Very elegant! Thank you for joining me at HSH!
Sherry

Pam said...

I bet North Carolina was gorgeous! I love the one pedestal laying on its side. It is that pop of unexpected.

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

That is one gorgeous vignette Sue!

Lisa Montsion said...

I love how tall those lamp shades are.

lisa