Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Fun

       We celebrated Halloween on Sunday since the official holiday falls on a weekday this year. We had a group over for an old fashioned meatloaf and mashed potatoes meal and a long night of sitting around the fire pit. A lot of wine was consumed and some people got a little rowdy! And no- not me!

I was the hostess with the most-est, making sure that everyone else’s glasses were full. I do believe we went through a dozen or so bottles! That and a big pile of wood. That fire was roaring!!

spider web table

The table was set very simply and included a “tablecloth” of black netting and cobwebs.

 

candleabra

The candelabra was lit with orange tapers and cast an eerie glow to the room when it was fully dark.

 

spider

All sorts of creepy crawlers surrounded the silver tray in the middle of the table. Here, we see a green creepy crawler being nibble up

by a giant sized spider. Not very appetizing to us, but to the spider, I’m sure it was a good meal!

 

crawling snakes

Several snakes entwined themselves around the base of the candle holder, but they were a quiet duo- they didn’t even hiss at anyone.

 

halloween friends

 

 

 

skull

This fellow, although he met with a bad demise, certainly took good care of his teeth.

Not a cavity to be seen…….

 

bat

Miniature bats burrowed into the netting and cobwebs.

 

evil rodent and raven

This raven seemed determined to snatch morsels of bread crumbs from the diners, while the red-eyed rat in the background went after the spider on the tray.

 

skeleton man

Keeping watch on us during the dinner hour were fluorescent skeletons on the chandelier.

 

mr. rat

I wouldn’t want to encounter this guy and the rest of his friends anywhere else in the house!

 

bakers rack

People were fascinated by all of the crows perched throughout the house.

The baker’s rack in the great room has a bird, bat, and witch theme going for it.

.

baker's rack vignette

 

 

.witches shoe

A careless witch left behind her pointy shoe as she attempted to fly off on her broom the night before the party.

 

witch

Here’s the old witch stirring around in the kitchen.

 

rat and cheese

Perhaps it was this fellow who scared her as he darted in front of her on his way to what he thought was an appetizing meal of white cheddar cheese.

Do you think he ate it or did he get away?

 

witch potion bottles

I’m now wondering if that witch is setting up shop in our house in preparation of the witching hour tomorrow, because she also left behind her bottles of magical potions.

 

bat in a box

Bats have invaded our humble abode and are roosting in boxes and hanging everywhere.

 

crow keeping watch

Even the crows are keeping a watchful eye on those winged creatures of the night.

 

fireplace

The fireplace is dressed very simply for fall and Halloween.

 

lantern

A smiling cat tassel hangs inside the lantern on the hearth.

 

tassel

He has a Cheshire cat appearance to him, don’t you think?

 

smiley cat

His cousin seems to have planted himself amongst  the potted plants.

 

 

crow with ribbon

This scavenger crow fancies himself quite dapper with his scarf and his jewelry.

 

 

fancy crow

He rests on top of a container of hedge apples on the mantel.

 

smiley spiders

And on a more whimsical note are these happy spiders hanging from the breakfast room chandelier.

They aren’t menacing or threatening in any way!

 

~~~~~

 The trick or treaters will be coming out within the hour. Our municipality hosts Beggar’s Night on untraditional dates!

I’m debating if I should get my makeup on and look like the picture below!

Or do you think I’ll scare the little buggers off?!  

vampire sue

 

Happy Halloween!!

 

 

                                                                                                            I just finished  treating the neighborhood beggars and wanted to show a few more pics.

ghostly door

Although it’s difficult to tell- there are ghost lights surrounding the doorway. I had a strobe light

flashing wildly and the kids loved it. Howling banshee sounds and

eerie organ music emanated from the upstairs windows

as the rain fell gently and the winds blew cold.

.

jack

                                                                                                                                                                                     

Jack came out to play in the form of a hanging lantern on a shepherd’s crook. 

 

 

witchy witch

I loved this silhouette of the witch in the birch tree along the walkway. One five year old said it was a little scary,

but since he was dressed as a knight in shining armor, he told his dad t hat he’d be brave!

Out of the mouths of babes!

 

nite vision

And here’s a night vision look at the table I re-set for tonight. Oops, I think a ghostly apparition may have moved the knife in the place setting a wee bit out of place.

Yikes!

~~~~~

 

 

Linking to: 

 SavvySouthernWOW   from my front porch to yours   open house thursday       tablescape thursday    FV

    

 

vintage inspiration button          2805     charm of home     french country cottage     Inspiration Friday Graphic     

            

25 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow - You went all out! :D Enjoyed seeing all your Halloween decor. Sounds like a fun evening and possibly some headaches the next morning. :-D

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

This is too funny, Sue, and oh my, that last pic would scare the life out of me the way you have it doctored up! Crowded around that roaring fire with a bit of wine sounds like such fun. Enjoyed the post, and happy halloween :)

Pat said...

Lots of spookiness going on at your house Sue!:-)

Miss Char said...

Holy cow Sue I bet your guests were speechless with your Halloween Wonderland. You win Queen of the Halloween decor in my book. Thanks so much for sharing.

NanaDiana said...

Wow- That is a most spooktacular display! WOW!!!! You did an amazing job of celebrating the Holiday- xo Diana

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I wish I lived closer..I would have loved to have been there to celebrate Halloween and share in the wine! Looks like lots of fun Sue!~Hugs, Patti

Carmella said...

What a fun party! awesome decorations...too much fun!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Lots of fun Halloween folk art and your creepy crawly table was really cool. Was that a vintage mouse trap or a prop?

Blondie's Journal said...

Your decorations are out of this world! The crows on the baker's rack looked right out of a Hitchcock movie! Love the scary "You"!

XO,
Jane

Shelia said...

Wow! Your home is all Halloweened Up! Love it and your table is so cute with all your little creepies on it. Now by looking at that last snap of you, I believe you drank something! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

laurie said...

What fun, Sue! I know your guests were entranced with the fun and spooky decor. Rats, bats, witches! All of them look great. Love the way you placed the rat at the edge of the trap. And now, I've seen that picture of you right before bed -- again! laurie

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Spooky :)
Love the colours.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Jemsmom said...

Love love love it all! Jemma would get such a kick out I all your creepy crawlies! You are definitely the Hostess with the Mostess!

Debbiedoo's said...

:) You know I am loving this table! Every inch and every creep of it.

Alicia said...

Oh wow! So many cool things. My favorite was definitely the pointy witch shoe!

I think I would have had a lot of wine to be able to sit at that table with all those creepy crawlies!

So cool!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue

Love how you really got into the spooky Halloween Spirit! You have lots of fun decorations--the witches boot was my favorite.

Thanks for checking in on me--we were incredibly fortunate to escape with so little damage from the hurricane!

Sarah said...

Sue, this is the spookiest table I've seen yet. What a fun Halloween at your home. Happy Halloween........Sarah

xinex said...

Your tablescape is so cool but too scary, lol. That snake freaks me out....Christine

Katherines Corner said...

I love your spooktacular table. Thank you for joining in the fun at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Happy Monday wishes xo P.S. sorry I'm so late visiting :-)

Sherry "Edie" & Marie Antionette said...

Okay Sue, that's a pretty creepy table! The rats have got to go!

Big hugs, Sherry (Edie Marie's Attic)

Lorrie said...

Love all you Halloween Decor, everything looks great!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Holy cow girl... You go WAY out! Love, love, love everything....

Dinner sounds YUM-OH! Love me some good meatloaf.

xox
Spencer

Ivy and Elephants said...

Just popping in to say hello and wish you a happy and blessed Thanksgiving!
Hugs,
Patti

Susie Q said...

I have no doubt you were the hostess with the most-est! Your table looks deliciously frightful! Love it!
It surely was a miserable Halloween, weather wise, wasn't it? But the little beggers kept coming! We had about 150 even with the rain!
I miss you Suey...I hope all is well...I would so love to see you and have lunch or whatever! I am busy and I know you are too but PLEASE call me if you can get together. I hope I didn't do something he last time we saw one another!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Love,
Sue

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Sounds like a great time Sue....you really did it up right! Happy belated Thanksgiving. xo