Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cloches for Fall

~~~~

Putting together a few cloches in the great room has been in the works for a few weeks now, but time just got away from me and I never got around to it until last night.

I was in the middle of unpacking from our buying trip at the High Point Furniture Market when I remembered that I had planned on linking to a cloche party.

So I stopped cold in my tracks and ran around the house looking for things to display. Now, it normally takes me hours to dream things up and then get them organized-

but knowing I was under the wire for time, I decided to just make it easy on myself and create two simple displays for the great room and one for the front entry. 

 

sofa table vignette

 

This sofa table is usually behind the sofa- hmmm….wonder why it’s not there now?  When my new great room furniture was delivered last month,

I moved it here on the long wall, where the baker’s rack and two large mirrors used to be. That left me with one wide wall to fill.

To start with, I leaned a large contemporary piece of art on top of the table top.

I hung the wall sconces today after seeing how bare the wall looked while I was editing these photos. The wall just needed to be “beefed up.”

Since the ceiling in this room is 18 feet tall and the room is almost 25 feet long, it requires a lot of “stuff” to fill the wall area. It’s still looking a little bare right

now, but I’ll be adding more accessories to fill in the wall area all in good time.

 

I ordered the sconces at the spring furniture market and they’ve been sitting in a closet ever since they came in.  I do believe I am a procrastinator…..

I was a little dismayed that I had to make numerous screw holes in the walls while trying to hang them. Seems that the slots in the backs of

the sconce frames are not in the same places, so my measurements were completely off.  I’ll have to sand my all of my patches before the walls get painted again.

But since I have that procrastinating problem, I’ll have plenty of time to get to that chore…..

 

brush cloche

Here’s the cloche I put together. Its base is somewhat unusual…..

Can you guess what it is?

I know that my friend Debby thought I was absolutely bonkers when I bought it at the Rural Society sale at the beginning of the month. Are you laughing now, Deb?

 

brushes 1

Going along with the brush theme, I filled the cloche with like items…..

My Annie Sloan waxing brush, a stained chip brush, and a pouncing brush that I use for faux painting techniques.

The addition of some colorful leaves off the tree in the side yard completes the look.

Simple and oh so quirky!

 

brushes1

 

 

 

brushes2

 

 

 

 

polishing brush bristles

If you haven’t already guessed, the base for my cloche is an old polishing brush used in an industrial floor waxer!

Uh huh….  I think outside the box, wouldn’t you say?!

I’m sure they don’t manufacture brushes like this anymore and I’m imagining that this one got a lot of use shining up some floors in a commercial building.

.

.leaf balls in a basket

Underneath the sofa table, I filled a wire basket with the leaf balls I created three seasons ago. The tutorial for them is on my sidebar, if you’re interested.

 

top of cabinets

The vignette on top of the entertainment center received only a subtle change.

Where the tobacco basket once was propped against the wall, I filled the space with a wide bunch of twigs in a bark vase.

Actually, the twigs are inside a weighted glass container and the bark vase was placed over it. I bought this at the spring Vintage Market in Springfield from

the vendor, Sobo Style.

 

bark vase

There’s a lot of interest in this piece. It’s simply bark scraped off of a tree trunk.

To the right of the twigs, I placed a glass dome on top of a book. Easy peasy….

 

bark sheds 2

The dome is filled with bark shreds off of our sycamore tree in the backyard.

That tree sheds heavily during the summer and there are shards of bark all over the place. What a messy tree!

The husband collected a bag full of them because he thought I should create something with them.

Not being much of a crafter, I decided  to display them under glass, instead.  Much easier….

 

 

bark cloche

The bark has such interesting texture and coloration.

 

 

The last of my cloche creations was a no brainer. I had bought a white owl while out on my foray with Debby after we left the Rural Society sale. We drove into Newark and hit the White Cottage shop. I loved that place when she took me there last fall, so I knew I’d have to make a trip there since it was so close by.

snowy owl under glass

Now who couldn’t resist this sweet little face?

 

scale

He got plopped into an old bed spring found at a yard sale and placed on one side of the fantastic scale I found in a Tipp City antique mall.

I used three miniature white pumpkins to balance out the other side of the scale.

 

owl cloche on a scale

 

 

 

table at the blue hour

Some of you may have already seen this cloche in the great room before, but I thought I’d include it because I just love what’s under it.

 

turtle shell

I purchased this small turtle shell from an antique dealer last year and its placement never strays far from this table.

The husband says it reminds him of our son’s pet sea turtle and kinda gives him the creeps!

 

~~~~~

Hope you’re enjoying beautiful fall weather like what we’re having here in SW Ohio today.

I need to get out into the backyard and pull out the wilted annuals that didn’t make it through the frost we’ve had recently.

While we were in North Carolina over the weekend, a storm blew through and the yard is littered with colorful leaves and lots of tree branches.

 

 

Linked to:

Cloche Party      charm of home     coastal charm     wow us wed.   centerpiece    Ivy and Elephants Banner2   from my front porch to yours        

Home & Garden Thursday Button      sherry     french country cottage    2805     Inspiration Friday Graphic          vintage_inspiration_button187    Seasonal Sunday - the tablescaper

26 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I just love that cloche filled with brushes and setting on top of the other big brush. Great idea.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi Sue, oh my gosh I love your unique choice of objects underneath your domes.. the brushes are genius..and the bark looks incredible. I'm absolutely in love with your scale.. thanks for swinging by to check out my blog issues... hugs ~lynne ~

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Enjoyed seeing all your pretty vignettes and neat ideas for your cloches.
I did not get mine redone for Fall. :/
Hope you had a good/successful buying trip.

Debby said...

I love your owl on the spring. The closeup came out so cute.
I am still laughing at the brushes. It looks great but I still think it is funny.
You are so good at arranging things.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

What unique and different and INTERESTING cloches!! Wow!! Now this is using your imagination! The brush one with the fantastic base was ...over the top! Now I'm looking at things I have around the house in a whole new way...
I loved my visit today...

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

Lovely! I really like the old waxing brush paired with the brushes under the cloche. Good job!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I think you did a great job for rushing around at the last minute, Sue! I love that brush as the base to your cloche. Such a great idea. That little owl is just adorable!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, you have the most unique cloche ideas I have seen...and I love them all!! The brushes are genius!!!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I was referred by Debby to your blog to check out the cloches. Loved the brushes. Very clever. The bark shreds are original too. I would have said turtle shells were unusual but I sure have been seeing them pop up from time to time on blogs. Your little owl is very cute.

Jo said...

As always I love your displays I wish I had the "eye" for it! So any new and exciting trends coming up?

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Sue, You have the most interesting things!!!!! I love the idea of the paint items on top of the polishing brush. That brush is huge and I'm sure it had a great deal of use. Your leaf balls are beautiful too. Linda

Jemsmom said...

You have some crazy talent, Lady!!! I love the brushes and that owl... how could you not get it!!! Love all your touches. Talent... I say... you are talented!

The Magical Christmas Wreath Company said...

Sue, your Sofa table and cloche arrangements look great, who would have thought some brushes could look so nice!

laurie said...

Sue, I LOVE the way you think outside the box. I am always so amazed when I come over here and see what you've come up with. I love the brush cloche, and that floor waxing brush is the perfect base! I'm sure I would never have thought of that. If I didn't know how creative you are, I would have been like your friend and wondered why in the world you were buying that! And who, I'm asking who in the world would think to use bark in a cloche? Sue would, and it looks fabulous! Your new sconces are so pretty. I'd love to come visit your home. laurie

Pam said...

Your brush cloche idea is genius. And I love that scale. BTW, have you named your turtle shell yet? That might really freak your husband out.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Sue, your room is lovely! I think your new furniture is gorgeous! I love the sconces too! Your cloches are so unusual- so creative! You know, I love the brush display!!! The bark and turtle shell are wonderful, as is the owl the spring!

Pamela said...

Sue you have out done yourself! I love the base of your cloche! That is so unique and unexpected. I also adore your snowy old! You won't believe this but I just bought the exact one yesterday at our Ace Hardware! I also had to bring home it brown friend. Thanx for partying at THT!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh my word, I love them all. The use of the brushes is unreal and the bark is such a fabulous idea also. I love the way you use nature, so creative. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Sue your cloches are all so pretty and I love all the different elements you used.

Kathleen said...

Great cloches, unusual! I am with your dh on the turtle shell, creeps me out, I don't like the antler trend either.
It's like a pet cemetary on your table, lol!
Good to see you!

Sue said...

Hi Sue... I knew right away what that brush was....we had old hardwoods in our house when I was a kid and my father used to polish them so I knew the minute I saw it...and isn't the other brush inside a wallpaper brush....he used those too....every room in the house had wallpaper...layers and layers....it was horrible now that I think of it....hope your enjoying fall...I'm getting ready to go to the Country Living fair next friday with Joyce....We always get into some trouble at that one....will post about it....complaining how high all the prices are....have you lunched with Sue yet..I saw on Facebook where she was planning on it :) Love Ya!!!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Can you see the smile on my face? I love, love, love the old brush under the cloche. I knew what it was from using something similar (not wood) when my mom used to make me buff our floors. The bark is such a simple, but so interesting way to dress up the cloche. Wonderful collection!

Polly said...

lots of quirky and unique ideas! i love the simplicity of the bark under the cloche! i also love love love your paris cheese box!!

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Your cloches are just fabulous - love the brushes, the bark, the shell - the leaf balls - everything! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday - I appreciate you sharing,
Kathy

Sherry said...

Love the use of brushes in the cloche! Fantastic!
Sherry

must love junk said...

I recently saw one of those big round brushes and I thought it was so cool! I love how you used yours-so creative!!
Susan