Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Bounty Filled Bulb Tray

 

My decorating style runs the gamut from contemporary to traditional to industrial, and even just a little country primitive.

I incorporated several of those styles into my fall display in the kitchen this year, using a large,vintage bulb tray as the starting point.

autumn bulb box

There is a multitude of different items in this display, but the focal points are the sweet fabric pumpkins that I ordered from my blogging friend, Angie,

who I actually got to meet in person at the spring show of the Vintage Marketplace in May.

She recently posted that she had sewn some pumpkins from vintage fabrics for sale, so I placed an order for a few of them.

 

fabric pumpkins 2

The white pumpkin is made from a nubby chenille fabric that reminded me of a bedspread that you’d see back in the 1950’s.

The smaller white pumpkin has been aged to look worn, while the dark pumpkin in the back is made from brownish-black fabric that looks really old!

 

 

white pumpkin

 

 

 

green pumpkin

Here is the smallest green pumpkin on top of a large wooden spindle.

 

 

gears and dominoes

At the base of the spindle, I layered some metal gear plates from a long since torn apart car engine. These were a yard sale find earlier this summer.

 

 

 

gears and dominoes

Over-sized wood dominoes were laid haphazardly in from of the gears.

 

funnel

Now we all know that cornucopias are associated with fall’s harvest bounty,

so I created my own version of one, using an old tin funnel that I filled with gourds and a small white pumpkin.

Hardly traditional, but it’s quirky- just like me!

 

crow on a stick

This primitive crow on a stick fits right in with the look. I used two of them in this display. They’ll stick around through Halloween, I’m sure.

 

 

fabric pumpkins 2

I simply propped them upright into one of the holes in the gears.

 

fabric pumpkins 2

This “Love” pillow cushion is nestled in between the three pumpkins.

 

 

 

.pillow cushions 1

The other three pillow cushions surround the wood spindle on the opposite side of the bulb tray.

 

 

pepper plant

An ornamental pepper bush with red and purple chiles adds some vibrant color to this table display.

 

dried hydrangea

A more subtle green tone comes from this sprig of dried hydrangea from our garden.

~~~~~~

I’m still working on the fall decorating and want to get it out so I can enjoy it before I have to start thinking of Christmas! That season comes so soon after this one, or so it seems!

Working outdoors has taken precedence to the inside of the house, so I’m really behind in my autumn fluffing.

Over the weekend, I found out that I’m once again battling a mole problem.

I had them under control in the backyard, but now, they have invaded my newly planted landscape beds in the front yard.

Bumpy tunneling trails are ruining all of our hard work, so I’ve called in the critter guy from my lawn service to help out, once again.  I don’t like these pesky varmints, so I certainly

hope they will be eradicated soon!

 

Linking this post to:

metamorphis mon.     polohouse        coastal charm      TTT    cozy little house    wow us wed.

  from my front porch to yours        Home & Garden Thursday Button         open house thursday       inspiration friday button     vintage inspiration button      lori's pink pumpkins Lori’s Pumpkin Party

 

                                                                 Jennifer Rizzo’s Impromptu Fall Link-Up      The Style Sisters Centerpiece Wednesday                                                                                                           

 

   

 

47 comments:

Olive Cooper said...

This is darling Sue. I like the old gears and dominoes. We have moles here too and they are a real problem. They ate all of my daffodils last year. xo, olive

Glenda/MidSouth said...

And it all works together - very pretty!
I am not sure what my style is - I also keep sliding back to traditional.
Hope the critter guy can get rid of the pests. Moles can do a lot of damage.
Enjoy your week.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautiful Sue and awesome shots!!

Jo said...

I sooo envy your display ability! I haven't even thought abt Fall decor

farmlady said...

I'm amazed how you can put a few seemly different and varied things together and have them turn out so beautiful.
This grouping is lovely... just lovely.
Hope you get the MOLE situation under control. Here it's gophers. They are everywhere.

Miss Char said...

I love this vignette Sue, every element compliments the others and that green pumpkin is just the best. Sure makes my purchased at Sam's Club centerpiece look ridiculous. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to get off my duff and actually put something together.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, what a cute vignette! Your pumpkins are adorable...and the mix of elements adds so much interest. Great job!

Jemsmom said...

Absolutely perfect! I love how you mix all the looks together to create just a lovely vignette! I am so in love with the white chenille pumpkin! The bed I slept on at my granny's always had a white chenille bedspread. Brings back so many memories!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

Oh Sue, it is fantastic...love the large dominoes...and the gears...love it!

Debby said...

I'm with Jo.....so envious of your talent of how to put things together. I would never be able to use all those different things and to have it look so good.
See ya sooooooon.

tara said...

I am so jealous of those dominoes! Almost makes me want to try making some...definitely a new follower!

Lori E said...

That is a fun eclectic display Sue. Very pretty pumpkins. So simple yet so attractive.
Feel free to link over at my place...all pumpkins invited.
We had a mole problem for years off and on. The only thing that worked for us was to stick rose branches with thorns down the holes. Don't ask why...ugh.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Your Fall display is outstanding...luv those darling sweather pumpkins. Thanks for sharing at my party today.

Blessings,
Linda

Little Miss Maggie said...

There is nothing about your fall display that I haven't fallen in love with right down to the gears. Great job and interesting mix of thises and thats. My kind of decorating. It's perfect!

Cindy Ritchie said...

Love your display Sue! Very eclectic! The soft chenille pumpkins are adorable!

Sara Pliske said...

Sue - I love your fabric pumpkins! The different fabrics of texture and color make your display positively stunning! Love those black crows too!! Happy Fall :)

I found you via Coastal Charms Linky Party

Blessings - Sara

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

I love these fabric pumpkins! I think they are the best I have seen! I always like crows, too, in the fall decor. I am behind too, as the outdoors seems to be taking up all our time. Maybe I'll go straight to the Christmas decorating this year! Linda

Teri said...

I love your style! I have one of those fabric pumpkins myself and also the crow! Funny how things look so much better when someone else arranges them. I love your hutch too. I have a black one like yours but without the upper plate rack. What a great addition...wish I had it. So nice to be able to display the dishes the way that you do.

Barbara Jean said...

all so cute!! love the gears...pumpkins...pillows. well all of it!

blessings
barb

mrswhitetwigandtea.com said...

Love the pumpkins, gears & crows! I can't get enough of those fabric pumpkins, love the ones you bought! Visiting from Coastal Charm. -Angela @ Mrs. White Twig & Tea

At The Picket Fence said...

It's just beautiful Sue! The gears are fantastic and make me think of my gear-loving son! :-)
Vanessa

Babs said...

Sue, this is so neat! Love your mix of textures with soft pumpkins and the metal gears, and the colors. You know, I really like pepper plants and always see them in the fall, but never buy one. Yours is so pretty, I gotta get one.
Babs

Balisha said...

I used to do a lot of crafting with chenille.I made cats...they were a favorite with everybody. The gears were a favorite of mine to paint on. My husband and I shopped the garage sales in little old towns and would find gears and round saw blades for me to paint. I love that chenille pumpkin..Balisha

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love it, eclectic as it is. I love too many styles, and I'm determined to use them all. The white chenille pumpkins are so cute. Great vignette! It will capture everybody's interest!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This is amazing. Creative, eclectic and perfect for the season!

Style Sisters said...

This so fabulous..love all the details! Come link up to centerpiece Wednesday and share your idea!
Karin

Sarah said...

Sue, this is a beautiful centerpiece. I like the mix of textures and the warm colors. Fun to see all these different objects play off of each other.....Sarah

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Love all the layers and textures in your fall collection! I didn't know that was a bulb tray! Always fun to learn new things.

Sorry about your mole issues. We had some problems at the first house we bought as newlyweds and I think the told us to sprinkle around crushed mothballs. They HATE them apparently, but which is worse? Being hated by your moles or by your neighbors who are now getting the moles that have exited YOUR mothballed yard!!?

:)

xoxox
Thanks for sharing Sue!

Karen said...

I love it, the fabric pumpkins, the gears and hearts, everything just works and its so well done.

chateau chic said...

Fabulous arrangement with all the different components! I LOVE it.
Mary Alice

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

I love all the different textures you used. The fabric pumpkins are so cute.

Dee

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Sue~I'm so happy to be back! I've been working on a project and was stumped on some of the pieces I needed in puling my idea together. Well that was until today. As soon as I saw those lil embroidered hearts the light bulb light up...I've got it! I can always rely on you for my inspiration...Thanks<3
I've been gathering bits & pieces for some fall fluffing as well. Our temps have dropped considerably (BRRRR)!
I do love the jewel tones that autumn brings.
Sweet wishes,
Sara

Kathy Mormino said...

Beautiful!
Hello, new follower here! I would love to have you link up with my Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/clever-chicks-blog-hop-2-featured-post.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy
The Chicken Chick

Crane Farms said...

This is such a beautiful display! Just started following you!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Love your collection of goodness!

Pamela said...

Sue your fall tablescape is fabulous. I love all of the items you used. It makes it a truly unique display. Thanx for coming to THT!

Nook and Cranny said...

Love the tray. I specially love the use of all of the different items from cloth pumpkins, wood to metals.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

WOW! I love the different textures and mix of colors that you used in the tray. What an inspirational vignette! And cuuuute pumpkins, too. At least that dern mole cannot get to them.

Have a fun, fun weekend! I hear it will be one for some good shoppin'!

xxo
Becky

lilraggedyangie said...

O Sweet Sue ...such a beautiful display! And Gorgeous photos ...my punkins have found a great forever home ...the green ones were made from a vintage woven tablecloth , the chenille were indeed made from vintage bedspreads , the black ones are wool blend suiting fabric put through my aging process ! Send all your friends over on FB HUGE sale going on right now and I have lots of punkins to find beautiful forever homes for :0) Wishing you a wonderful weekend and a fabulous fall !<3 n hugs lil raggedy angie

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

What a beautiful collage of Autumn! I especially love the chenille pumpkin! It's stunning!

I enjoyed my visit today!

laurie said...

Oh Sue, I just love how you put together a vignette. I never expect the ordinary from you, and I'm never dissapointed. Love all of the different elements you put together here. I sat and studied each photo~I would never have thought to put together these different elements. As always, I am so inspired by your vignette. laurie

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Wow..what a great vignette Sue, I love what you did here!
And your front door below is simply stunning!
We have that pesky mole problem too, just don't like those little critters.
Hugs to you,
Cindy

Allyson Pecilunas said...

Everything looks so pretty! I love the pumpkins. I am popping over from From my front porch to yours and am now your newest follower. Id love for you to come by and see me and follow me as well.

Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Hello, Love those fabric pumpkins - they're wonderful and you do have an ecclectic assortment together that works beautifully, I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Debbiedoo's said...

I simply LOVE your Fall dislpays Sue. LOVE it, so cozy and cute.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Very cute vignette. Your pics are great. New camera?

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Beautiful, Sue! I bet it is just beautiful already in your neck of the woods?