Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Colorful Fall Entry

fall entry 2012

Although I planted my mums in the urns outside our front door a few weeks ago, I procrastinated and didn’t finish off the entry until this week.  I had spotted some corn stalks at a roadside fruit farm while running errands on Monday, so I stopped to buy a bundle for $7.  The pumpkins and gourds at this place weren’t selling their pumpkins and gourds at a bargain price, so I made my way to another fruit farm just down the road from me. Sure enough- they had colorful fall bounty for good prices.

 

gourds, mums, pumpkins

I always like to incorporate some green and white into the fall décor, so the patty pan squash and the striped gourd fit the bill perfectly. The small traditional orange pumpkin is the perfect foil for them and the bright yellow mums. The mums are a little spindly- they were $3 bargains from one of the big box stores. If I water them with a Miracle Grow mixture, maybe they’ll fill out quickly. If not…. Well, that will be okay, too.  I tend to forget to water my front door plants and they dry up really fast in the hot eastern exposure. 

 

urns, pumpkins, mums

Flanking the front door on the opposite side are some more cornstalks, my candle urns and some more pumpkins. I added an ornamental kale from a nursery down the road.  Too bad my “Welcome” sign is slightly obscured by the stalks, but maybe people won’t notice.

 

kale and pumpkins

I love the variegated colors in this kale and the knobby goodness of the gourd beside it. Nature certainly is interesting. I was glad to find a gray pumpkin to add into the mix. They are hard to find around here and the prices are usually pretty steep, as well.

 

 

fall basket

This basket of faux fall pretties is the same one that I used last year. I like its fullness and the variety of flowers in it, but it’s so large that it’s difficult to get past it to enter the foyer! I’ll be getting into the attic this afternoon to hunt for a smaller basket that I can fill with some sunflowers. Then this basket can get moved to one of the back patios.

 

fall front door 1

I think everything here makes a nice presentation to welcome guests into our home.  I put together one other planter which I placed between the garage doors. It needs a little more tweaking, though. And my intention is to buy some more gourds and pumpkins to make the planter look more “fall-ified.” 

By the way, did anyone notice that the mums in my urns are a different color than the ones I showed a few weeks ago? Well, the red ones that were planted in there died. When I planted them, I tried to offset the amount of  soil in my urns with some balled up plastic bags. This method has always worked for me in the past; but, apparently, I didn’t ball up the bags well enough and they flattened out. Every time that the flowers got watered, the plastic prevented the excess water from draining through the holes at the bottom of the urns. Those gorgeous red mums died a slow drowning death and I had to replace them. This time I just left the plants in their own containers. I removed the flattened plastic bags and replaced them with plastic peanuts- so much easier for the draining process! Good thing I save those suckers whenever I receive a shipped package. They’re not fun to store- they take up so much room- but they sure come in handy for filling pots and saving topsoil.  Too bad I didn’t remember to use them the first time I planted my mums!

 

 

 

Linking to:

Rhoda     thursday-favorites

35 comments:

Barbara F. said...

LOVE your entry way, Sue. I pinned one I saw on Pinterest I could swear it was yours?! I like the basket on the door, I had a basket for the summer, switched to my beloved scarecrow. xo

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

Hi Sue: What a lovely autumn welcome you've created for your front entry--I love all the variety of the pumpkins and colorful gourds that you selected!

Blondie's Journal said...

Everything looks beautiful, Sue! I especially love the ornamental kale...I have often wanted to use that on the porch...do the squirrels like it?! The basket on your door is neat, I need to find something, my old wreath gave out last year. Isn't it a shame that the pretty colored pumpkins are so expensive?

Have a great day!

XO,
Jane

Jemsmom said...

Sue, that looks so pretty! I love all the colors and textures. Our front landscaping is getting done next week so I am not doing anything until they are gone, but you have given me some inspiration! I love when you fall-ify your house!!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, this is so pretty. I still need mums and we have cornstalks that I want to add, too. Love yours.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

So Pretty!! I think the ornamental kales are so pretty. I like your variety of pumpkins and gourds.
I put a pot of yellow mums on each side of my back entrance and a faux pumpkin on the patio table - need to make a rip to the farmers' market in the next few days.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

Your front porch is really pretty. I love the corn stalks. You don't even want to know what they charge around here for them...and then it is about 3 stalks!
btw...I was wondering if you could do this ole girl a favor. Can you make the font where you leave the comments bigger. I always have a hard time finding it...just a little thought!! Thanks

Gail said...

Sue, your front entry is so pretty! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration and I hope you have a wonderful day, Gail

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh this is fall perfection at its finest! A truly cozy vignette.

While we don't have much fall here in Phoenix I would love for you to stop by to see where I did find a bit of fall.

Have a blessed day!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Your entrance looks beautiful Sue! Love the pretty floral arrangement in the basket!

Andrea said...

very pretty! I wish we had pumpkins/gourds ready here, but no luck yet.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful entry, Sue! I haven't gotten any mums yet. Maybe this weekend since I want to put them right in once I get them. I also haven't done the front door area yet either. Another thing to add to the weekend!

Honey at 2805 said...

Beautiful inspiration, Sue! Thank you fro sharing your project at Potpourri Friday!

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Love the entry way Sue!

Balisha said...

What a pretty entryway...Balisha

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like you're greeting fall in style Sue! Love that vibrant purple mum in the urn-enjoy:@)

Olive Cooper said...

Hi Sue, love your door and steps. The urns, mums, and pumpkins are a cozy fall welcome.I too adore the chubby grey pumpkins and kept mine from last year for 11 months. Olive

Laurel Leaf Cottage said...

Your porch looks great! I can't wait 'til I find some corn stalks!! I love those mums too!! ~Deanna

PS I'm following you now if you want to stop by and follow me I would love it!!

mail4rosey said...

It looks so welcoming!

Jo said...

Looks great I haven't even thought abt decorating my house I guess it is time to take all the flags down

Polly said...

very pretty Sue!

Debbiedoo's said...

WOW Sue, just stunning! I love the corn stalks. I don't have luck with those..mine get direct sun and get these funky moths in them. I love the look though.

A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

Wow! I love this. Now, you come make my little bitty house pretty ;)
Oh and I was thinking of you the other day, next time you plan to be up in my area, give me a holler and maybe we can meet for coffee!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

So pretty, Sue! I love all the fall colors! Great tip about the shipping peanuts, too! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Kathleen said...

It looks wonderful! Love all the colors! Too bad about your mums. That was high on the cornstalks, ours are 5, and 3 for 10 on the mums, 8 in pots.
I haven't done Fall yet, it is a beach day here in NY,going in the 80's! Can't get motivated to drag out pumpkins.
Great job, Sue!

Pam said...

Can you believe, I'm just now catching up on all my favorite blogs. I've been out of the loop lately. Anyhow, I love the basket on your door. Love the purple mums too. I bought a purple one for the first time this year.

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

Looks wonderful. Yay for fall!!

Laurie Ritchey said...

Sue, this looks beautiful. I've got to find some of those corn stalks. What a statement they make. The pumpkin colors and shapes are wonderful. It would take me awhile to ring the door bell, because I'd just be standing there, enjoying the decor. laurie

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Gorgeous! I love the pop of color that the mums add.

Dee

Sue said...

Hey Miss Sue.....love love love the front porch...and not just saying that because I love everything!!
I bought a huge mum plant to put on my back porch...all the blooms died and all I have now is a big green ball??....can't figure out where the new buds went...My front porch has one lone pumpkin....I'm sure I can manage to kill off that as well.....Happy Fall..I just love love love Fall!!!

Katherines Corner said...

Welcome Autumn. Your front porch looks lovely xo

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

It all looks beautiful, Sue! Too bad about the first mums, but I'm glad you didn't give up. I've beem thinking I need urns just like yours--the heavy, old kind. New search project!! LOL. Happy fall! ~Zuni

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Sue~you got it going inside and out. I need you to come over and work your magic on my home.
Love your style. You know exactly what colors and textures will work together without overpowering one another.
I'm following your & Yvonne's lead when I create my centerpiece.
Sweet wishes,
Sara

Miriam Thomé said...

What a beautiful porch Sue! XO

Miriam Thomé said...

What a beautiful porch Sue! XO