Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Chalk Paint Workshop

Yes, I am still alive and and am still kicking! I’ve just been doing it all in the background- busy with life and a few projects. But I did something on Saturday that is post-worthy- I hosted a small and intimate workshop for a my blogging pals, Kathy and Debby, along with my friend, Jean, who is a local stockist for the paint.

I’ve been wanting to learn some new painting techniques using Chalk Paint TM Decorative Paints by Annie Sloan.  Although I’ve been using the paint for a while, I knew that I needed some additional instruction as to dark waxing and some decorative techniques.  We ended up having a fun get-together at my house, along with quite a bit of instruction and a good lunch, too!

three painters

Here we are- Kathy from Creative Home Expressions, Debby from Cozy Blanket, and moi.   I’m still in my specs- I still haven’t been able to get this darn Rx for my contacts down pat, so I’m wearing my “frou- frou”  red/white/black designer glasses from Eye One in downtown Oakwood, OH.   Love that place. They have the most fashionable frames, so I was finally able to get out of the old tortoise shell frames that I’ve worn for years and years.

 

.

jean

Our instructor was my pal, Jean, who has a booth in the Midwest Memories Antique Mall in Tipp City, OH. We met a few years ago when I was shopping at the store where she used to have her merchandise. Seems she had been reading my blog and recognized me from my profile photo. Small world, huh?

 

Each of us pre-painted a piece to finish with the wax technique of our choice. I began with a small table that started out looking like this-

original table

Just a little primitive and distressed, don’t you think?  I think I bought this back in the 90’s at a close-out sale at an antique shop, so I bought it for a song. It’s simple pine construction and would hardly be considered fine furniture.

.

blue table

And now the table looks like this. It’s subtle! I painted it with my own paint color concoction-  Duck Egg Blue mixed with Graphite. The result was a color slightly darker and deeper in tone than the Duck Egg Blue.  After the initial clear waxing, Jean had me wipe on some dark wax mixed with mineral spirits. After the initial wipe-off, it was still too dark and aged-looking for my liking, so I applied some clear wax to it and took off most of the wax, leaving only a small amount of dark color.  The legs have the same amount of dark wax on them, although they don’t show well in this photo. The light was streaming in from the huge window above the door in the foyer so there is some color washout.

 

dark waxed legs

Here’s a truer photo - I tend to like a lighter aged look, emulating a lack of cleaning and some gentle wear.

 

 

crackle finish 

Jean showed us how to apply a Craqueleur finish on top of  Duck Egg Blue.  Kathy worked her magic on this sample board.

 

colored wax

Here’s my custom color, topped with a combination of Graphite and clear wax. I loved this finish-  it was so easy to achieve a completely different look!

 

two toned sand back

We got to play around with a two-color process, as well. We base coated a board with Emile, then added Country Grey on top of it, once it dried. Then we sanded to reveal the base coat; clear waxed; added some dark wax; and finished it off with some gilding wax.   This is such a gorgeous finish!

 

clouded stipple

Jean  had each of us paint her plaster statue, using a clouded stipple method. The look was achieved using a combination of two colors on one brush, then stippling them together for a cloudy look. I was not too good at this method. I managed to make the little guy’s face look like he had the pox!  Needless to say, someone went over my mess. Thanks, Kathy!  My talents don’t seem to lie with two-color stippling….

 

kathy's apron.

Had to get a shot of Kathy wearing her fun apron creation. She created it using an old pair of jeans, some striped fabric for the gathered skirt, and an out-dated man’s tie for the apron strings. Too cute!!  I didn’t get a picture of her project- she brought a neat item that she had picked up at our local Goodwill Store. She painted it  with Old White and added a bit of dark wax for some light aging.  I’m sure she’ll show it on her own blog soon, so you’ll have to be on the look-out for her post.

 

Debby's project

Here’s one of Debby’s projects- a cool shelf painted in Duck Egg Blue. She kept peering out of the spaces in the shelf kinda like she was peeking out of a window. Silly girl! She brought two items to the workshop, at my urging. I had an ulterior motive- I wanted to see how the color Arles turned out after painting an old sewing machine drawer and then heavily dark waxing it. Of course, we were laughing so hard when I took this picture, that I forgot to have her hold up the drawer. We ended up trading some paint colors with each other- I gave her some of my new Emperor’s Silk in exchange for some of her Arles.  I think we’ll both be happy with our future projects in these colors.

We’ll probably be having another workshop later this fall and I hope to impress Jean with all of the techniques that I learned from her. So if you’re local and are interested, by all means let me know.  Jean was a pleasure to work with- she was so patient in trying to help me overcome my paint failings!. Seems that I’m a bit anal about not achieving a “factory finish” in my painting while using this method of painting. At least I provided comic relief for all of them. 

 

Sharing this post with:

     metamorphis mon.     coastal charm      cowgirl-up-    take a bow       wow us wed.     stone gable tips

The Style Sisters, Centerpiece Wednesday

29 comments:

At The Picket Fence said...

What a fun day Sue! Kathy looked so cute in her apron. :-)
Vanessa

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

What a fun day, can I come to your next one LOL!! Your little table turned out fabulous!

farmlady said...

Wish I was a "local". I would love to join all of you and learn these techniques.
So... where were you in that first photo?... with glasses? I only see two ladies. Did blogger cut you out?

Jemsmom said...

That looks like a fun day!! Everyone posts wonderful tutorials but there is nothing like a hands on opportunity!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

You did a great post on the paint workshop, Sue! Love the pictures, too! : ) I've got mine all drafted and ready to go later this week. I had to go back and change the names of the paint colors we did on the molding because I got those totally wrong. I had a great time and learned quite a bit from Jean. I'm planning on using some of her tips and techniques this week!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

What a fun day! I love doing workshops like this! Thanks for sharing such great finishes too! I love everything ya'll painted! I love Kathy's apron! She's so talented!

Susie Q said...

I would have loved being a part of this! Glad you all had fun...if you do it again, I sure would like to be a part. I would be glad to provide whatever is needed too...
It all looks so pretty!
Sue

Debby said...

At first I thought you cropped yourself out of the picture. But if you click on the pic you are still in it.
It was such a fun time. I'll sow the little shelf as soon as I finish it.
Thanks again for everything.

Barbara F. said...

Sue, this looks like a fabulous, fun day. I have a color chart and am still undecided on which white and which wax to paint my guest bedroom furniture. I also have a wall plaque of cherubs that I want to re-do for my bedroom. Decisions, decisions. Your projects turned out great! xo

NanaDiana said...

I am so jealous- it looks like you girls had a ball.....MUCH better than the last workshop Debby attended. lol. You didn't make her sleep in the basement there, did you? I wish I could join you!!! xo Diana

Polly said...

looks like fun! i have yet to use the AS chalk paint but this post was inspiring! do they sell it in tipp city at the antique mall there?

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

What a fun way to spend your day. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Cowgirl Up. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-11.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Debbie @ Fine Point Creations said...

I enjoyed reading your workshop post. I'm getting ready to use Annie Sloan paints (with so many lovely colors it's hard to decide) and found your post to be very helpful. Wish me luck...

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I bet you ladies had a fun time.
i am past due for a trip to the eye doctor and I need to buy new frames also - don't know where to start as far as the style.

~ Liz ~ said...

A workshop to practice and have fun is always a good idea. Loved seeing what you did and how you did it.
Liz

houseontheway.com said...

What a great transformation! I like the color of that blue! I'd love for you to share this at my party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. It runs Tuesdays through Sunday. Hope to see you there!
Leslie

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

This sounds like such a very fun day! I'm so happy to see bloggers in real life! Your painting tips are so valuable.
I wish I was the fourth one in your picture!
Your post would be perfect to share at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS, my new weekly linky party going on now! Come on over and join in!

Style Sisters said...

This table looks awesome! Great techniques! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday and share all your good stuff!
Karin

xinex said...

You must have had so much fun, Sue. Your projects all turned out beautifully....Christine

A Walk in the Countryside said...

Great post! Love your blue color you mixed and that apron!

Pam said...

I love Kathy's apron! Glad you gals had a fun time. I love the color you concocted for your table!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, I wish I could have done this with y'all! What fun, and how great the projects turned out. I did my chairs around my table in the sunroom with AS when it first came out - had to order it on internet, because nobody carried it. I love those chairs, and I need to do something else with that paint. Thanks for the inspiration. I love that apron! laurie

Jo said...

Keep me posted on your next one - I so ditzed on this one. I really like the projects you all did!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sounds like y'all had one fun day..your little table looks so cute. Thanks for sharing at my party.

Blessings,
Linda

Lori E said...

How fun. It is great to learn new techniques isn't it.
You will be looking at pieces with a different eye now.

Pam @ Frippery said...

Sue it sounds like you had a great time. Very nice finishes. Love that chalk paint.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

How fun! I am jealous! I have not jumped on that bandwagon yet....I am pondering...it seems like so much work! LOL But I love the look that you get with it....might have to just bite the bullet! Looks like you girls had fun!!

Lou Cinda

Honey at 2805 said...

How terrific! A workshop with friends and your own instructor!

jinx sumatra said...

Love the photos.Nice one, I really like your work.
Buy Youtube Likes