Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Anticipating Fall….

 

While doing a bit of shopping at Wally World last week, I came upon some pots of mums in the garden center that were just budding out. I admit to being someone who looks forward to fall and cooler weather; so I listened to the call of the Sirens and I bought six pots to plant in the urns in the front entryway.

After a week’s watering, they now look like this-

urn of mums

They’re filling out nicely, I think. I even inserted a few blooming plants that remained from my spring/summer pots. I couldn’t bear to pitch them- they still had pretty blooms on them. I’m not even sure what they are- I picked them up because I’ve just always liked the fact that they looked like little roses.

 

red mums 3

Here’s a closer look at one of them. Can anyone tell me what this is?

 

red mums close-up

I like this shot because it shows a bit of moisture clinging to the flower petals and glistening in the sunshine. If you look closely at one of the flowers, you can even see a bit of a spider web across the top of the center.

 

red mums

Considering that they were only buds a mere seven days ago, I think the plants have done well, don’t you?

                                                                                                                ~~~~~~

I am so anxious for the temperatures to fully change so we can enjoy warm, sunny days in the 60’s and 70’s. These 90º temperatures we’ve been enduring here in SW Ohio have been brutal!  Just to let you know how I ‘m rushing the onset of autumn, we actually had a fire in the fire-pit one evening last weekend. It was still a bit warm for it, but at least the smoke kept the mosquitos at bay. Those suckers have been viciously biting me all summer. Here’s to roasting some more oooey-gooey marshmallows and making some S’mores with them.

 

 

 

Linking to:


    Thursday Favorite Things     Home & Garden Thursday Button     2805

6 comments:

Foxxy said...

Now those are a pretty fall color, deep red. I am also looking forward to fall weather. It's been in the high 90's here in Texas and really dry. After that heat the cool fall temperatures are very welcoming. Have a wonderful labor day weekend! Enjoy!

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

It has been so hot in Illinois so, I am soooooo ready for Fall! Beautiful pics!

Eileen said...

Oh, they're beautiful! I just adore mums. I love autumn. I'm visiting from Thursday Favorite Things. Stop by and read about my magic shed if you get a chance. :)

Katherines Corner said...

Sue I love Mums too. Yours are lovely!! I'm tickled to see you posting and thrilled shared your lovely post at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop Linky Party xo

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Hi Sue!
I haven't caved in and bought the mums yet but now you are making me wish I had!
My flowers in the pots still look "okay" but could be refreshed but I am more in the mode of trying to hang on to the summer a little bit longer!
Can't help you with the sweet little rosey flowers. Not sure what those might be!

xoxox
Alison

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Hello Sue, love this time of the year and the rainbow of colors available in Mums - gorgeous finds! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy