Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Anticipating Fall….

 

While doing a bit of shopping at Wally World last week, I came upon some pots of mums in the garden center that were just budding out. I admit to being someone who looks forward to fall and cooler weather; so I listened to the call of the Sirens and I bought six pots to plant in the urns in the front entryway.

After a week’s watering, they now look like this-

urn of mums

They’re filling out nicely, I think. I even inserted a few blooming plants that remained from my spring/summer pots. I couldn’t bear to pitch them- they still had pretty blooms on them. I’m not even sure what they are- I picked them up because I’ve just always liked the fact that they looked like little roses.

 

red mums 3

Here’s a closer look at one of them. Can anyone tell me what this is?

 

red mums close-up

I like this shot because it shows a bit of moisture clinging to the flower petals and glistening in the sunshine. If you look closely at one of the flowers, you can even see a bit of a spider web across the top of the center.

 

red mums

Considering that they were only buds a mere seven days ago, I think the plants have done well, don’t you?

                                                                                                                ~~~~~~

I am so anxious for the temperatures to fully change so we can enjoy warm, sunny days in the 60’s and 70’s. These 90º temperatures we’ve been enduring here in SW Ohio have been brutal!  Just to let you know how I ‘m rushing the onset of autumn, we actually had a fire in the fire-pit one evening last weekend. It was still a bit warm for it, but at least the smoke kept the mosquitos at bay. Those suckers have been viciously biting me all summer. Here’s to roasting some more oooey-gooey marshmallows and making some S’mores with them.

 

 

 

Linking to:


    Thursday Favorite Things     Home & Garden Thursday Button     2805     pink saturday

16 comments:

halloweencouple said...

I love the color you chose.

I love fall its my favorite time of year, and nothing is better than smores by the fire :)

NanaDiana said...

Those are just gorgeous, Sue. I was thinking that I needed to get some this morning. I need to do it before they are all picked over. I have had really good luck with Wally's flowers- xo Diana

Donna Heber said...

Hi Sue,

Your mums are gorgeous! I need to pick some up and start thinking about autumn days. Thank you so much for stopping to visit me from Katherine's. There is such a group of wonderful people over there :-)

Cindy said...

I'm dying for Fall weather!!! I'm afraid to buy mums yet though. It's so hot here! Yours are looking good!
Enjoy the weekend,
Cindy

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

I have mosquitos bites all over my legs right now...they are hovering in the watered grasses.
I am over the heat..over, over, over!! 90 degrees sounds like winter to me!!

Lori E said...

A local blogger here has a family business of greenhouses. They supply all the planters we get at Costco here.
The mums in the fall and the poinsettias in the winter. They also have a storefront full of these beautiful mums at an awesome price. You have reminded me to get out there and get some.
I really like that particular color that you have.

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Love these and the color is just so gorgeous! I've had to quit working outside because of the mosquitoes!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Hi Sue,

Your mums are gorgeous!!!

Dee

Honey at 2805 said...

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous mums at Potpourri Friday!

Pam @ Frippery said...

They are gorgeous Sue!

Pam said...

A fire in the fire pit sounds so cozy! I like that red color. I'll have to stop by my Wally World to see what they have.

Debbiedoo's said...

Mums the word Miss SUe. I am so ready for Fall. Love these color mums too!

A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

So pretty! I will have to ask Jason about that flower though, If I could see the bud, I may know what it is, but I guess he will take one look and know :)

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Wow!! These are GORGEOUS, Sue! Nice to catch up with you after my blog break! I hope we can do a fall gathering. ~Zuni

The Magical Christmas Wreath Company said...

The urn looks very Autumnal Sue. I think I'll be planting some urns up with Mums to welcome Fall this week too.

Zane Wooder said...

Sue I'm in love with your red flowers. You work so hard to grow amazing beautiful flowers. We love seeing all your hard work in your garden.

-zane