Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Anticipating Fall….

 

While doing a bit of shopping at Wally World last week, I came upon some pots of mums in the garden center that were just budding out. I admit to being someone who looks forward to fall and cooler weather; so I listened to the call of the Sirens and I bought six pots to plant in the urns in the front entryway.

After a week’s watering, they now look like this-

urn of mums

They’re filling out nicely, I think. I even inserted a few blooming plants that remained from my spring/summer pots. I couldn’t bear to pitch them- they still had pretty blooms on them. I’m not even sure what they are- I picked them up because I’ve just always liked the fact that they looked like little roses.

 

red mums 3

Here’s a closer look at one of them. Can anyone tell me what this is?

 

red mums close-up

I like this shot because it shows a bit of moisture clinging to the flower petals and glistening in the sunshine. If you look closely at one of the flowers, you can even see a bit of a spider web across the top of the center.

 

red mums

Considering that they were only buds a mere seven days ago, I think the plants have done well, don’t you?

                                                                                                                ~~~~~~

I am so anxious for the temperatures to fully change so we can enjoy warm, sunny days in the 60’s and 70’s. These 90º temperatures we’ve been enduring here in SW Ohio have been brutal!  Just to let you know how I ‘m rushing the onset of autumn, we actually had a fire in the fire-pit one evening last weekend. It was still a bit warm for it, but at least the smoke kept the mosquitos at bay. Those suckers have been viciously biting me all summer. Here’s to roasting some more oooey-gooey marshmallows and making some S’mores with them.

16 comments:

Sammy said...

ohhh, ahhh, so pretty. I love mums in urns! : )

Smiles!
Sammy ~ Renew Redo

Sammy said...

Oh and it looks like "Moss Rose" to me! : )

Smiles!
Sammy ~ Renew Redo

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, those mums are gorgeous! It's a bit early for us to put them out here. We're still pretty hot! I'm so jealous that you actually get to sit out in the evenings. We're trying to avoid West Nile Virus in these parts!

Barbara F. said...

I was wondering what kind of store "Wally World" was and then it hit me! Wal-Mart! I love it, and actually never ever see the kind of folks on YouTube who are the "butt" of jokes. I love these red mums, the color is gorgeous. I am going to Wal-Mart Sat. I think.

Be careful with those mosquitoes. West Nile virus is very bad this year. :( xo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty! I was tempted to buy some mums a few days ago, but still pretty warm here, and they last long.
Mosquitoes are bad here also. If there is only one miles away, it will find me.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I'm with you Sue, I can't wait for fall and the cooler weather! Your mums look beautiful!

Jo said...

Very nice I am so anxious for Fall to get here!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Sue! I want to buy some mums, too, but I'm afraid with the weather still being so hot they won't make it. I'll probably wait a couple more weeks.

Terra said...

Those look like dahlias.
Your mums are a great color.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

The mums are a gorgeous color! I'm with you, bring on fall, and the fire pit sounds like fun-enjoy:@)

Jemsmom said...

Fall is may favorite time of year and as much as I miss Charleston, I am excited about enjoying fall when it should be here! Mums make me happy!!!!

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful, Sue! I love the urns, too! I can't wait to plant mums since so many of my pots of flowers died out over the summer because of the heat. I am really looking forward to cooler days, too! Glad you got to use your fire pit. Hubby just built a new one and I'm excited to use it!

XO,
Jane

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

Mums are SO lovely! I had a couple a few years ago but a cold hard winter killed em:(

Alicia said...

Just beautiful! You have quite the green thumb. And I am so with you, I am truly ready for Fall!

Andrea said...

I can't wait for fall! I just bought some Mum's too )

Elizabeth said...

The unknown flower is Portulaca. I have them in pots, they are lovely, and are surviving the heat.