Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Backyard Vignette Details

I like having the backyard entertaining areas decorated just as if I had decorated a room.  I like to think of them as an extension of the main rooms in our home, and as such, think that they should be just as comfortable.

 

twig table and flowers

The sunroom patio tends to stay shaded most of the day. We get the afternoon sun since it does face west, but the deck overhang provides quite a bit of shade. I wanted to create  a space that was more than just an  accumulation of chairs. The seating here makes for an intimate spot to have a conversation with friends. The glass topped table is a vintage find- I bought it a few years ago, along with its twin, at a going out of business sale. It received a textured paint job because its previous look was just a bit too chippy for me.

When big chunks of paint keep flaking off, I think that’s a good indication that a finish needs to be wire brushed and re-done, wouldn’t you say?  I used a hypertufa container that I found at a spring barn sale to plant some succulents. I purchased the plants at  Lowe’s for a song- quite a bit less expensive than the ones I saw at the nursery. Why spend $6 for something that I can have for half the price at a big box store? 

 

DSC_0057

I love the rustic look of these containers. There’s something about the uneven lumpiness of the concrete mixture that just says perfection!  Although I found this one at a reasonable price, I really think I’ll be attempting making my own. The procedure doesn’t look to be that difficult and it will be a heckuva lot less expensive.

 

washtub 2

In the corner of the sunroom patio is this old metal laundry tub. The husband bought it a few years ago for a very inexpensive price- under $30, I believe. I used it to fashion a display using concrete urns placed on a piece of sheet moss.  I seem to always have a bird in my vignettes, and this little iron bird seems right at home on the moss.

 

 

washtub

The heat has taken a toll on many of my flowers. There aren’t nearly as many blooms on this one as when I first put it together; but at least it’s still alive and green!

 

3 pots

On the opposite end of the yard, I used several clay pot containers for some color and texture between the adirondack chairs. Most all of these plants came from Wally World or Lowes and have done really well. Of course, they get lots of care from the husband, who has taken it upon himself to be the official plant and flower water-er every morning.  I think they must be hardier than the ones on the sunroom patio, because they actually look much healthier in this heat

.

table 3.

This simply set table is ready for a quick and easy luncheon.

.

 

dining table

I used black and white bird themed plates from Tuesday Morning and placed them on some textured woven chargers.

 

birds1

There are two different patterns in this particular set. I opted to purchase only the luncheon plates so I could layer them on different colored dinner plates.  Here, they are just placed on top of a simple white plate.

 

birds2

Clear acrylic flatware was placed on black napkins. Nothing fancy, at all- merely functional. The water glasses have a gradiated black tint on them and are perfect for this black/white table setting.

 

 

bird in a spring

Told you I liked birds…..  I haven’t changed up this cloche for a while; I just keep moving it around the house.  It is a perfect foil for this bird themed table.  An old bedspring filled with shredded sheet music makes a perfect nest for a tiny bird. The mushrooms at its base continue the nature theme.

 

mushrooms

 

 

drink container

The glass beverage container holds lemon/lime flavored water. A few sprigs of my basil plant add another fresh taste sensation. 

 

potting table 3

This potting bench used to be in my laundry room because I never had a place for it before we re-did our yard. Now, it’s in the perfect spot outside the kitchen door. Usually, it’s full of dirt and my muddy gloves! The watering can is vintage from the 40’s- I finally found one in good shape. They seem to always be missing the spout!  I think it was a bargain at $25.  The tricycle plant holder is a $3 yard sale find.

To see more of our landscaping transformation, please click  HERE.  We love our new backyard oasis!

                                                                                                                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The temperatures here in southwest Ohio have cooled somewhat and we expect  warm, but tolerable, temps today. My pal,  Debby, is coming to Dayton to have an adventure with me today. We’ve planned a trip to Tipp City to pick up some chalk paint and do a little vintage/thrift shopping. Should be fun! 

 

Linking to:

   open house            Inspiration Friday Graphic1_thumb[2]           Totally Transformed

39 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

OMG Sue I just love it all!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty setting to relax and /or enjoy a meal. The heat has really taken a toll on my flowers also. We finally got a nice rain shower late yesterday afternoon, so hoping they will perk up a bit.
Enjoy your day with your friend.

Cindy said...

Beautiful! I love all of your homelike touches outside!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Such a beautiful space. I love the bird dishes and cloche. You really have a great eye for decorating! Hugs, Linda

Linda said...

Everything looks great! I can't even believe how great your landscaping looks. Our looks horrible, thanks to the 100 plus temps over the past 2 weeks.

Blondie's Journal said...

Sue...everything looks wonderful. I could spend a lot of time here! Very serene and lovely. And so many details to love! I think we have the same cobblestones. I love your table setting... the cloches are beautiful!

Happy Summer! :)

XO,
Jane

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

You've done such a nice job, Sue! I love the area outside your sunroom. It looks like you get enough shade that you could sit outside and enjoy your beautiful gardens. Have fun shopping with Debby!

Anne said...

Sue I like your black and white bird plates and that tricycle planter is so adorable too. Your outdoor oasis looks really nice.

Babs said...

Sue, I know you must be loving your new outdoor space. Love the casual style and personal touches, like the birds..plates,etc. Great hypertufa pot and succulents. Have fun in your beautiful new back yard. I hope your vertigo clears up soon.
Hugs,
Babs

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, what a fine and relaxing table and outdoor space. I love the potting table especially. I hope you are having a good summer. hugs, olive

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your yard looks beautiful Sue! Love the bird plates and your water sounds very refreshing-enjoy:@)

NanaDiana said...

Sue- Your yard and patio area are GORGEOUS! You have done a wonderful job there. I hope you use it all the time because it would be a shame to let such a great space sit idle- xo Diana

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! What a lovely patio you have! Love everything you've done - your plants, your containers, your furniture, the table and I have three of your b/w bird plates. Mine are in color! I need one more.
Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Jill Elaine said...

It's all lovely Sue!!! I'd love to come over for an afternoon and chat!

Jemsmom said...

You have made the outside as beautiful as the inside! I especially love the sheet moss on top of the laundry tub!

xinex said...

Your outdoor area is so pretty and relaxing, Sue. Beautiful tablescape too. I love your seating area too. You whole backyard looks very comfortable....Christine

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

Hi Sue,

Every inch of your yard is beautiful. I love your tablescape. Your cloches is so fitting for this time of year. Love it!

Dee

Balisha said...

I love the bed spring and what you did with it. Have fun with your friend...Balisha

PAT said...

So pretty Sue. Love every bit of it.

Deserae said...

Wow!!! What a gorgeous yard and patio you have....stunning!
Have a great weekend!
~Des

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Sue,
I am just in awe at how amazing of a transformation this has been!
Stunning, gorgeous, love the water feature, the seating area's the fire pit, you have it all now, just stunning!
You lucky gal you, enjoy!
Hugs,
Cindy

JoAnne Weisser said...

What a wonderful retreat, Sue! So pretty. Love your potting bench!!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, you really have turned it into an extension of your house. It looks so cozy and comfortable. Love that wash tub and the vignette on top of it, and your potting bench is perfection too. I always love seeing your vignettes, because you have such a creative eye. laurie

Pam @ Frippery said...

It is all lovely Sue. I love the wash tub especially. I have been looking for one for years but never find one in my price range! What a deal.

Ivy and Elephants said...

Hi Sue,
You have truly designed a gorgeous outdoor living space! Not only is it a feast for the eyes, it has comfort anf function as well.
Looks FAB!
Hugs,
Patti

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

I don't know what Tuesday Morning is but I really like those bird plates!!

Debbiedoo's said...

Just beautiful Sue. I agree with you about the outdoor area being an extension of your home and decor. You have done it right girl!

Sarah said...

Sue, I know you are enjoying your beautiful backyard spaces. Everything looks so inviting! Adding outdoor spaces are like adding on another room. Enjoy!

Linda Young said...

Your yard, flowers and patios, and sitting areas look lovely! I love the succulent planter! Those bird dishes and cloches are really neat! The tablescape is perfect. It's cool how you arranged the vintage washtub and the potting table, you're a great decorator! I have the same tricycle, and a toy Kermit sits on mine amidst (silk) folliage. I'm stuggling with wilting plants too!

Linda Young said...

I meant to tell you, since previously I mentioned that we lost Playlist and I missed your great music,--- I found "Mixpod" and it's good and easy to upload, in case you need tunes. Hugs!

Peggy Hale said...

Your back yard looks beautiful! I love your table. Especially the bird plates I'm a sucker for anything with birds. I would love for you to share with my new party Totally Transformed Tuesday! http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com Thanks for following my blog. Hope to see you there.

Cottage and Broome said...

Love your different seating areas. Mine is very similar sun area with chairs, dining and a fire pit. Yours look beautiful! Thanks for sharing, Laura

blhitchcock901 said...

I'm so glad I stumbled upon while visiting around blogland. What a beautiful blog! I love the old laundry tub. I have one at the shop and I'm excited now about using it for a planter. The old metal spring in the cloche is another cutie. I am now following you. Hope you'll visit and follow me also.

PAT said...

I am desparately trying to catch up. We have been so busy getting the house ready then we went to the lake and I got downright lazy!;-)
Sue. I see lots of inspiration to copy.

Katherines Corner said...

I love it of course. I miss you too. I have been by a few times ( sorry I thought I had left a comment before) Hope you will be blogging again soon xo

Renee said...

What a wonderful place to sit and to have lunch. I think your table setting is great.

Town and Country Gals said...

Sue,
your patio is so cozy and comfortable! What a great place relax and spend time! All your touches are lovely!
Rebecca

Anne said...

so beautiful Susan!

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

Your backyard entertaining area is wonderful. I love all of the pieces you have collected and displayed there.