Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

In the rural countryside…

sheep on a hillside

This is the scene we were greeted with after our 2 ½ hour drive drive to the Rural Society Antique and Garden show last Friday. It looks a wee bit like the Irish countryside, don’t you agree?  Although the day was overcast, the weather held and there was no rain! We encountered some sputters in a few places while en route, but Mother Nature must have just been having a little fit before she calmed down and made the day perfect.

I was in need of some leg stretching and some walking through the barn and outbuildings after the car ride, so we started in the big barn where Page and Rusty had their treasures set  up. For those of you not familiar with this sale in central Ohio, the farm’s owner, Page Price, had a 10-page feature in last month’s issue of Country Living. Check out the magazine to see her lovely farm home.

mirrors, ladders,stuff

Lots of mirrors, silver, boxes, trays and just junque goodness.

 

fan chair

While very unique looking, I’m not so certain that this chair would be anywhere near comfortable! 

 

 

 

displays

 

 

 

 

mantel, chalkboards

This was a simple, but elegant mantel. In the foreground, you can see vintage chalkboards and a baby bed.

 

twig table

I actually have a similar twig table that I need to bring down from the attic. Mine was a $3 find at a yard sale. Its former owner saw absolutely no value in it at all: thus, the very reasonable price!

 

 

lacquered chest

As we entered the barn, this red lacquered dresser was being tagged as “sold.”   Check out the humongous apothecary jar terrarium on the left.

 

 

 

balls in glass

A very simple way to display the many baseballs in your collection!

 

 

 

chippy chair

Outside the barn were lots of goodies very appropriate for a garden setting.

 

 

 

bird bath and statue

 

 

 

 

crusty gate

Before I got sidelined, I was looking at this old and chippy gate. But I walked away and forgot to come back to it. I’ll be looking for one on my yard sale outings in the upcoming weeks

colorful flowers

A local greenhouse set up under this tent and featured some gorgeous floral baskets.

 

 

 

lovely arrangements

 

 

 

 

lots of wicker

 

 

 

 

seafan

Here’s a nice bamboo set, perfect for a sunroom. I sure was coveting that sea fan!

 

 

 

clocks

 

 

 

demijohn and sign

 

 

 

herbs

Lots of healthy looking herbs….

 

 

 

antebellum farmhouse

This booth was loaded with great vintage goodies and its owner knew how to display them well.

 

 

 

pins, yardsticks

 

 

 

 

 

 

cupboard

I LOVED this black cupboard and I’d like to have a similar one made for me. Just have to find a carpenter!

 

fun tent

This tent/booth had so much vintage that I had to go back for a second look.

 

 

rooating chicken

Here’s a close-up of the top of this gal’s tent. Kinda looks like a cousin of the chicken that I was chasing in the greenhouse dining tent!  LOL

 

 

painted basket

 

My bushel basket got a paint job just like this!

 

 

mini garden 2

 

This dealer had quite a few hypertufa  planting containers, but he was not a very friendly guy. I asked him if he could ever do a “bundled price” if I bought three or more planters. He promptly answered “NO!”  then walked away from me. As I walked through his booth area, I saw him ignoring other potential customers while he chatted with two of his helpers. Not the way to do business in MY world, buddy!  I decided not to even buy anything from him because of his attitude.  Isn’t it funny how some people can just turn you off?  However, because I really wanted a planter, I relented on our way out of the sale. I had to hunt for someone to take my money for the planter I had decided on (the dealer and his pals were still deep in private conversation once again) and even then, I wasn’t even thanked for my purchase. I wanted to take my money back and shove the planter into his hands at that point.  Don’t people realize that they have to appreciate their customers’ patronage?  This guy could never work for me- I want my customers to feel appreciated!  In my humble opinion, he was not the type of dealer who should have been at this show.

 

 

sale scene

This was probably the best priced booth at the show for the type of merchandise its owner had!  She had rocking chairs planted with flower containers for only $38! I wish I had bought one of her benches, but I got distracted again when I left the area to go chat with someone I saw!

 

 

cool table

I really liked this wood table. It would look great out in a covered porch where it was protected from the elements.

 

 

 

 

 

 

garden

 

 

 

 

These are Page’s  lovely and peaceful garden areas directly off the side of her house.  People kept congregating at the table and benches nearby so they could relax and enjoy the the farm atmosphere.

 

 

 

 

outside the kitchen

 

 

 

 

 

 

more kitchen area garden

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                               ~~~~~

I hope you enjoyed the tour of the sale!  I attended her fall sale last year and came away with a multitude of things. This spring, I went with the intention of only buying garden accessories. While I didn’t purchase everything I wanted, the day was very enjoyable, as I enjoyed visiting with a few blogging friends. I’ll be seeing many of them in again soon; our part of Ohio has a couple of good sales coming up within the next few weeks, so I’ll be posting about them soon.

Regretfully, there are no photos of my pal, Debby and myself; I think she was too busy watching me chase a chicken around the greenhouse to take a picture!  But, here are my friends, Kathy and Terri. They’ll be at the Springfield Extravaganza/Vintage Market on May 18-20.  And guess who’ll be working in their booth?  Me!  

                                 We are going to have such a blast!  And I will NOT be wearing my specs for that show! I can’t wait to be back in my contact lenses once again-   Not having peripheral vision with my prescription is such a pain!

Notes to self- don’t sit on a rock wall downhill from your friends again- you look like a  midget!  Also, take the “good” camera with you next time!  Photos will be much better.

                                                                                                                                                            mt vernon

 

 

 

 

 

Joining these hostesses this week:

    Knick of Time Tuesday1    wow us wed.         sharethelovebutton (1)          from my front porch to yours           Home & Garden Thursday Button     thursday-favorites 

    sherry               charm of home     Inspiration Friday Graphic    thrifty things friday      french country cottage     vintage inspiration button

37 comments:

farmlady said...

I think you look just fine. It's good to see pictures of the people that I follow. It's more personal.
I don't know what camera you used but the photos are great and you covered this sale well. I love all the things, Oh my I do. I would have bought way too much... especially garden stuff.
Did you take a VAN or TRUCK with you? I would have needed one.
This was fun tagging along with you.
Thanks.

Pam said...

You're making me regret my decision not to go. That chicken on the top of the tent is a hoot! I'm going to try to make my own hypertufa containers soon, so if they turn out, I'll let you know and then we can put the rude guy out of business!

Barbara F. said...

Great photos, looks like a really fun day. The first photo does look like Ireland. Hope you get back into your contacs. xo

Kathy said...

My dear friend! Love your pics. And the booth with the welcoming chicken at the entrance was none other than Shannon Vance of Stash Style. She'll be at Springfield too (in the FOLK barn). She's a sweetie and soooo talented!

Can't wait for next weekend and your smiling face assisting us with hundreds (maybe thousands) of customers!! We're going to have the best time!!

Hugs & talk to you soon!

Kathy

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

On wow so many great looking treasures. To bad about the cranky sales guy.

Dee

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, what a wonderful sale. We have nothing like that here. I saw much like especially the garden gate. olive

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds like an enjoyable time. I have run into dealers/merchants like that - don't know how they stay in business. Chicken did not want its picture taken? :-D
Glad you did not take another tumble this year.
Enjoy your evening.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

You'll have to let me know whereabouts their booth will be, Sue. I think I told you I'm planning on going on the Friday {the 18th}. I'm hoping to get on the road early and hopefully it's a nice weekend {no humidity!}. You should have told that guy to go suck an egg, but it sounds like he had already. Sour old goat ~ I wouldn't have bought anything from him. That first picture is stunning! That is frame worthy.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I would love to go to an outdoor sale like this. What fun and great stuff. Love that old red chippy garden chair.

Nancy's Notes said...

Love it all! I'd love to spend hours walking around there looking at all the treasures! There were many!

Debby said...

You got some good photos. Remember the one with the Country Gardens printed on it......just remember.
I liked those glasses.
I think my friend (one that works at Green Velvet) bought that red chest.
Now, I am thinking of going on Saturday to French Hen Barn Sale. I'll explain later.
Off to celebrate CHris' birthday.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Lovin' that first scenic pic, just beautiful! Looks like you had a great day Sue and that red chippy yard chair is really cool:@)

NanaDiana said...

I think you look GREAT! What a fun post- I can't believe all the stuff here! Wow! I have that identical wicker baby buggy. xo Diana

Lori E said...

I AM HYPERVENTILATING ETHEL!!!!!
That must have been so much fun. It would be so hard to make up your mind.
What a jerk that guy is. Should have kept your money in your hands for that one.

Marsha said...

Wow! What a great sale!!!!! There was more "good stuff" in the first picture than I have seen around here ALL year. I loved every picture....but it was a little sad that I wasn't there, too. Thanks for sharing.

The Magical Christmas Wreath Company said...

Sue the show looks like great fun, I could have filled up a car with all the loot I can see in your photos.
Paul

Liz - Imageremix said...

It was fun taking a trip with you while you went looking at all this great junk. I need much more time than I have at the moment to take it all in. I'll be back. I found you at Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesday party. Hope you'll stop by my place and see what's up at my place as well!

Liz

Sharing Shadymont said...

Oh my goodness, what a delight. I'd love to get to a show like that. I don't know of any in our area. Lots of goodies there. Looks like lots of fun.

Julie Ross said...

I brought the red adirondak chairs home with me!

Julie Ross said...

I brought the red adirondak chairs home with me!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

You did look a little short sitting there! Great pics of this Springs show! I usually don't miss this but couldn't be helped. I don't blame you for commenting on that rude guy! There is just no reason for someone to act like that. I am sure the show bookers will take notice of his actions and think twice about inviting him back. ~Hugs, Patti

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

It is my first time visiting your blog. I loved the post. What fun. Such great booths. I agree about customer service. I refuse to buy if people are rude. Thank you for taking me along on your shopping trip.

chateau chic said...

Looks like one fabulous event!!
Mary Alice

Ann said...

That's my kind of place! From the Gaelic-type setting to the herbs in berry boxes, your post is truly eye candy! I love the fan chair and the chippy gate and the clock hutch and. . . and . . . and . . . Wonderful post and pictures. Thanks! I'm now following via Linky. GFC doesn't seem to be working today.

Linda said...

Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed that tour.
I would have needed a truck for all the items that I would have purchased.
Thanks. Lots of ideas.

A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

That looks like so much fun! Garage sale, craft show and antiques all in one. Can't wait to be done with work, I plan to go "sale-ing" a lot this summer!

Cristina Garay said...

That was great! Tons of wonderful stuff I would love to bring home!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, you go to the neatest places. I don't think there are any sales like that around me. I scrolled up and down and back and again to see all the goodies in the pictures. And that first Ireland-looking photo is gorgeous. What a rude salesperson, but if he had something you wanted, you don't want to cut off your own nose to spite him. I bet he didn't have a very good day of sales. Wish I could come to the one where you'll be in a booth. laurie

busanalayali said...

woww great post good luck..

toko busana muslim

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

OMG, Sue, this IS a MUST place!! I can't wait till the next one! Your pictures make me really wish I'd gone! Love that red Adirondack!! :) See you in Springfield! ~Zuni

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Sue. I'm back again because I meant to tell you how much I love the very first picture in your post...it's bucolic and beautiful. You should print that on canvas and frame it!! Love it! ~Zuni

Diann said...

What a fun place and a great tour! I am going to have to set aside a day and head down to this market soon! Thank you for joining TTF this week and have a wonderful weekend and a very happy Mother's Day!

Theresa said...

What a cool "Swiss Cattle" sign. I think I'll Pin It to my craft page. Then when I get a chance try recreate one. If I were you, I'd have to have the sheep picture blown up and put it somewhere in my house, IT'S GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

Have a blessed Mother's Day :)

Jemsmom said...

Gorgeous gorgeous stuff! I love that old chippy red chair. That first picture though had my heart and yes, it does look like the Irish countryside!

PAT said...

Looks like fun Sue.

I have a similar rattan set. One of the chairs is at the lake. The other chair and table are downstairs. I bought it to use at the lake and did for a couple of years. Wondering how I could use it here.

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Wow,looks like there were so many treasure there. I wish I could go.

Sherry said...

Oh, next time I want to go!! it looks fabulous! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry