Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Accessories and More…

 

Our  trip to High Point was primarily to find some fresh, new accessories for the store.  Within the next month or so, many of the items we ordered will be shipped and we can place them throughout the showroom.  Using accessories to enhance the furniture in our stores alleviates the sterile and bland look of a showroom setting. It also allows customers to see what the furnishings could look like in an actual home environment.  I realize that many people like to purchase  their accent pieces in stores such as Home Goods, Marshalls, Ross, and Tuesday Morning because of the less expensive price points.  It’s not a bad thing- sometimes you can find a bargain. But often times, the merchandise is a “second” or a closeout from the manufacturer, so it can be difficult to find multiple numbers of an item. We make certain that the accessory lines we carry do not sell current merchandise to these types of retailers. Consumers have to be diligent in checking for quality and price when they shop at stores like this. Not everything is a bargain in these types of stores, just as not everything is a bargain in the big warehouse stores like Sam’s or Costco.  That information aside, I’m going to show you a few more items that I saw in some of the showrooms we shopped.  Photos were taken with the aging point and shoot I always haul to market, so they aren’t as clear as I’d like them to be.

 

metal stool or side table

Accessories mean much more than artwork and chotskies on a tabletop. We try to find fun occasional tables that are practical, as well as functional. This metal stool/side table is one example.  It has a hammered top and a metal strapping support system as its base.  The industrial look is still very hot in this spring market.

 

side table, surveyer legs

The legs forming the base of this table remind me of a surveyor’s tool. It’s a combination look of both rustic and industrial.

 

dice tables 1

The game room seemed to be a recurring theme in many of the furniture showrooms. We saw all varieties of gaming tables and the equipment used to play them.

 

gaming wheel clock

Speaking of games….. here’s a clock face that’s a reproduction of an old gaming wheel. I’ve been looking for a gaming wheel for years and actually saw one in the same showroom with the lodge accessories I posted about yesterday, but the cost was just too high. The showroom owner was a “picker” and had found it in one of his travels up north. I think I’ll eventually find a wheel at one of the barn sales I love to hit; it just may take some time.

 

gear clock

The industrial look once again…. this time in a set of clocks.  Set the time in your choice of time zones!

 

locker cabinet and fan

I loved this reproduction locker table. This look would be so easy to duplicate for the DIY-er. You build a small frame, set some lockers of top of it, add some casters, and you’re done.  The fan with the clock placed in the middle of the housing is a “cool” look. 

 

stool

This stool comes in many different colors, but I’ll be using this greige color for my own great room. I ordered new furniture when we attended a small trade show recently. The fabric has been back-ordered, which gives me plenty of time to have the room painted. I have to hire it out- no way am I climbing up on scaffolding in this 20-foot high room!

                                                                                                                                 ~~~~~~

Today is a much better day for my wrenched back- yippee! I’m going to attempt some painting today- or at least tape off the woodwork. I wish I had the steadiness of hand that good painters do. I tend to be a brush wobbler and end up with paint all over the place. Back again tomorrow with some more photos.

 

 

 

   Linking with:    Tabletop Tuesday and Home and Garden Thursday

20 comments:

AntiqueChase said...

I see so many things I love... I didn't even notice the fan had a clock on it until you mentioned it!

Jo said...

Seems like a lot of new "old" things - maybe to attract Boomers nostalgia? Some very nice pieces - what color was the one that seemed to be used this yr? Hope your back is better soon

Debby said...

Glad your back is feeling better. Probably being on your feet so much didn't help plus traveling.
It is amazing that the recylced look is so popular.....maybe because of all the flea markets and barn sales.
I love the locker table.

Olive Cooper said...

I love the garden stool. It would be great in so many rooms.

Blondie's Journal said...

I see a lot of things I like...the fan with the clock is just awesome! I like a subdued industrial look, a mix of wood and metal. Your store has that down perfectly!

I hope your back feels better soon, I have been there!

XO,
Jane

NanaDiana said...

What an amazing array of things. I love all the old game pieces. I loved them even before they were popular.

Good luck taping/painting. I have a couple of rooms to do, too. xo Diana

At The Picket Fence said...

So many cool pieces Sue! What a fun trip! The gears clock looks so similar to the one I'm showing today on our blog. :-) I hope your back feels better!
Vanessa

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Some fun pieces there, Sue! I love the clocks! Glad to hear your back is feeling better. I don't blame you, I don't want to have to climb a ladder to paint either.

Marsha said...

I loved your post. I haven't been shopping for furniture and accessories in a while, so this was fun.

Pam said...

That fan with the clock face is a great idea. Glad your back is feeling better.

Jo said...

I really need to move closer so I can tag along with you! You always score such fun finds!

Jo

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

I see lots of things I would like to have in my own home. Love that fan and wall of clocks.

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

Jemsmom said...

Such neat pieces! I especially love the first table and the last one! I am sorry about your back. That is misery. Take care and I can't WAIT to see your new living room!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love all of the vintage inspired and industrial stuff! Great pieces! Thanks for stopping by my Bachman's post, Sue!

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

Cool stuff! I like that it was not all new and shiny.

Dee

Diann said...

Oh there were a lot of fun things to see here! I bet you had such a good time. I know I would have! I hope you are having a great day!

Sue (Someones Mom) said...

I used to go to the Atlanta and Chicago gift markets when I owned my business and just the word "market" sends a thrill up my spine. I don't actually miss having my shop, but I certainly do miss those fun (and completely exhausting and overwhelming) days at market. You obviously saw some great things!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Wow! Why can't I find a place like that to visit. What fun!

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Accessories are so very important! Our neighbor used to go to High Point annually - so inspiring! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday - your post will be featured in tonight's post!
Thank you,
Kathy

Carl said...

I love your furniture and accessory collection! I especially like the clocks and the metal strap stool/table as it looks industrial and vintage.

Carl Patten