Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Wee Bit of the Irish….

‘Tis the day we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at Kathleen’s Irish Blog Crawl.  To show you a few bits and pieces of what remind me of the Emerald Isle, I’ve created a simple and thrifty table setting, using everyday dinnerware and a recent purchase of some shamrock plates and mugs.

 

st paddy's table

The tablecloth lends a Celtic look, don’t you think? I found it on clearance last week at Target for $2.48.  What a bargain for a 90-inch tablecloth! 

 

 

irish moss and shamrocks

Two pots of greenery help set the stage for the Irish-inspired table.

 

 

 cloche2

As well as setting out two pots of greenery, I used an elevated cloche to feature two Irish dancer figurines. Then I propped a capiz shell window ornament against the base of the cloche stand.

 

capiz shell window ornament

 

 

capiz shell window ornament 2

.

.

shamrocks

Nothing says “Irish” like shamrocks!

 

 

 

irish moss

Delicate Irish moss fills this small urn.

 

 

Dancing Irish couple

These figurines were a gift from a friend in California. Thanks, Dawn!

 

 

.Irish couple 2

 

 

.

cloche softened

 

 

 

 

.

place setting 1

Wicker chargers set the backdrop for the green stoneware plates that I bought at Kroger for $1.00 apiece.  Topping them are the white luncheon plates that I found at Home Goods last month. The rims have an embellished edge of what looks to be four leaf clovers and the center motif is a sprig of traditional shamrocks.

 

 

place setting2

 

 

 

 

mug

Such a delicate shamrock pattern and a sweet clover design, too.

 

 

 

       tom2                                  good fortune

 

 

                                                    Adding a touch of Irish whimsy to each dinner plate are these two tags.

 

 

tom 4                     good fortune 2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

st. paddy's day table setting

 

The tables looks a bit empty with no food on it. The plan is to get busy making some Irish soda bread on Saturday morning, as well as some colcannon and a boiled dinner.  No desserts during Lent for the husband, so I’ll just make sure I have a few chocolate candy bars for myself. You can’t go wrong with that!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

irish collage

 

 

 

 

                                                                           I leave you with the following Irish wish~  

                                                                                                 

 

irish wish

 

                                                                                                                                                                          

 

 

 

 

                                                                                           

 

                                                                                                                                                                                              Linking to:                                                                                                                                                                     

 

                              blog crawl                little red house         coastal charm   Table Top Tuesday     wow us wed.     sherry  from my front porch to yours

                   Kathleen’s 4th Annual St. Patrick’s Day                 Mosaic Monday

                    Blog Crawl, Tuesday, March 13

 

                                                                                                              

                                        bnop       vintage_inspiration_button187     thrifty things friday     french country cottage     charm of home     inspiration friday button

33 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a cute tablescape! Love the white plates!

Sonia said...

Oh I love those dishes!! The pattern on the border is beautiful with that sweet shamrock in the center! Great find on those plates with the matching mugs! Love all your sweet touches..the little vintage tags are adorable!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!
Miss Bloomers

Patsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Oh the little figurines are precious....I love them!!

NanaDiana said...

It looks beautiful. I love it all from the dishes to the figurines to the tags on the plates. What a wonderful nod to Irish heritage. I love it~ xo Diana

Debby said...

It all looks so nice. Love the dishes, the table linen and those figurines. Hapy St. Patrick's Day.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I do like your pretty touches of green, and the sweet little tags add a special touch. Happy St. Patrick's day and thank you for the Irish wish. As much Irish as I have in me, your would think I would decorate for the special day.

Jo said...

Very nice!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love those clover dishes, Sue! Great find! Love your cloche with the Irish dancers and those tags are a nice touch at each place setting.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Love the shamrocks and the gorgeous table setting...the tablecloth was the bargain of the century!

Carol said...

Very pretty and festive table! Adorable figures, very pretty under the glass.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your table looks so pretty, Sue! That tablecloth was a wonderful bargain and it's design does look very Celtic! I love your Irish step dancers under the cloche and the shamrock dishes and suncatcher.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Lavender Cottage said...

A festive table for St. Paddy's Day!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Very pretty table and I love the shamrocks. I had a pot of them years ago...need to look for some! They are so pretty inside! ♥

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Sue!

Your little Irish dancers are so cute, how nice of you friend to send them to you.

That tablecloth sure way a good deal and your right, it does have an Irish look.

I hope your dinner went well!

xoxo Bunny Jean

Kathleen said...

It looks beautiful. I love that cloth, what a deal! And the rattan chargers for a dollar, fabulous.
The plates are so pretty! I have those figures, I think I got them at Michael's.
Very Celtic with a modern look!
Thanks so much for joining the blog crawl! Happy St. Patrick's Day to the Sullivan and Murphy Clan!

eileeninmd said...

Lovely tablescape. Happy St Patricks Day! The shamrocks are pretty. I hope you have a great week!

xinex said...

Beautiful table, Sue! I love the plates and the table cloth is perfect. I cannot believe you got it that price. If you have a chance, please come take a look at my new refinished floors in the dining room and what I have done there...Christine

Divina Chita Brasil said...

Beautiful!!

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

It's a very sweet looking tablescape. I adore the figurines in your cloche.

Dee

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I feel lucky just looking at this! lol I have no Irish anything at my house. I love the plates and the mugs....those are so cute! And the little cards with the glitter...LOVE!

Lou Cinda

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Sue, this is adorable! I love the figurines in the cloche! My mom always decorated for St. Patrick's Day- this brings back fond memories! I love it all!

Rettabug said...

I just KNEW YOU would come up with a really special tablescape, Sue. Your cloth is magnificent & what a steal!
The Irish boy & girl under glass are darling & your capiz shell is beautiful. I used to have lights made of cream capiz shell, years ago.

We've just gotten a wonderfully warm day today for the first time in ages. I'm heading outside for some fresh air. Wish we could walk together. *someday*

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Early,
Rett

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

I agree that chocolate bars make a wonderful dessert! Your table is so pretty and your little Irish children are adorable! You certainly have a nice friend! Linda

Barbara F. said...

Have a very happy and blessed St Patrick's Day! I love your plates. xo

Marigene said...

Beautiful table...love the plates and tablecloth!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

What a great buy on that pretty tablecloth Sue! And of course the little piggy tags caught my eye! Happy St. Patty's Day:@)

Pam @ Frippery said...

Love it Sue. Especially the tablecloth.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

All your Irish greens are so pretty! I love your sweet little Irish couple. What pretty shamrock dishes as well. Beautiful tablecloth.

Micupoftea~ said...

Love the suncatcher! Happy SPD~

Priscilla said...

I just love the stained glass. What a beautiful color of green.

Sarah said...

Sue, sorry I'm late to arrive, but I've been away from my computer.Your table is lovely. What cute little Irish dancers. Happy St. Patrick's Day! ~ Sarah