Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

PicMonkey is Here!

 

picmonkey screenshot

                                                                                                                              click to link

PicMonkey is here!  I tried it and I like it!  Yesterday, I received the e-mail from PicMonkey telling me that its photo editing program had gone live. I rushed over there and found that their photo editing program is easy to navigate and it’s a breeze to edit your photos.  It’s very similar to the Picnik format, so those of you who are lamenting the upcoming demise of that program will have an opportunity to see just how similar these two programs really are.

The site isn’t fully in place- there will be other features added to the site in the near future- I believe they were just anxious to launch as soon as they were able to get the basics down. I opted to receive the free ‘premium’ features for the next few months so I can play around with them. Once all of the site’s features are enabled, I’ll make my decision as to whether I’ll pay for a yearly subscription.  I edited the photo below in just a few minutes, in spite of the fact that I was unfamiliar with where things were.  :-)    I tried to employ some of their options, including clipart, borders, text, etc.

 

 

picmonkey cabbages

 

 

I actually edit most of my photos in Picasa, since they are downloaded automatically to that program when I place my SanDisk into the All-In-One.  I always used Picnik for the extras, such as re-sizing a photo, adding borders,and applying layers of clipart.  Photoscape is still a go-to site because it has so many options for collages.   I’ve found that PicMonkey is the easiest program to use of the four other editing programs that I’ve recently tried- Pixlr, Phixr, Gimp, and BeFunky.  I was looking for something that was free - (except for the premium features, of course).  I have Photoshop, but I have never been able to master it!

So pop over to PicMonkey, check it out, and play with your photos a little! Then come back and tell me what you think.   :-)

   

                                                                        

18 comments:

farmlady said...

Thanks for the information, Sue. I will check it out.
I love the cabbage photo. Lovely!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Thanks, Sue! I'll try it!...Debbie

Robin said...

Just "found" your blog thru Savvy Southern Style and it seems loaded with great information. I became a follower on my first visit and hope to see you at my place sometime too. Thanks for the info.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

It was easy and I'm excited! Thanks!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for the info. I bookmarked the site and plan to check it out. I have not had a chance to check on the pinterest thing again, but will let you know how it goes
Beautiful weather here today, rain back in tomorrow.:(

Sharing with Sherri said...

Hi Sue, so nice to hear from you! Our warm sunny spring weather has sure been nice, but rain is on the way for several days, I know we need some, but I certainly prefer the warm 70's weather.
I'll have to check out this Pic Monkey cuz I definitely love to monkey around with my photos;)

Have a nice weekend, Sherri

Debbiedoo's said...

I played with the monkey too today! Ok that sounded just WRONG LOL! It seems like it is going to be a great new site for us.

Rebecca said...

Hi Sue
Thanks for the heads up on Picmonkey, I will try it since I am one of them lamenting over picnik. I also have photoshop and just never have taken the time to learn it.
Have a wonderful weekend
Blessings
Rebecca

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Thanks Sue for the infro..I hate losing Picnik as I used it all the time..Hugs and smiles Gloria

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I'm definitely checking this out right now. I am still in denial about Picnik going away. I use Picasa too for the basic editing. Google has added some features so make sure to download the latest version. They've added borders and some other stuff. No stickers yet though. :o(

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I just checked out PicMonkey. It's just like Picnik! Yay...I am so relieved. The only problem was the fonts...but I can do that in Picasa. You have just totally made my day!

reFresh reStyle said...

Wooohooo! I had heard of the monkey and didn't know that it was live, how awesome! That's great news!
Debbie

Jo said...

You've made my day!
I've keeping my fingers crossed that I would find a new program since my old one has decided to pack up ... ugh!

Have a great weekend ~
Jo

NanaDiana said...

I have never used any of these programs-I know, sad, isn't it? I will pop over there and see if I can begin to figure it out. xo Diana

Mary Ellen said...

Oh I hope they will have the layering option that Picnik has-I am still using it till they close as I haven't had time to play with other programs but I will have to check this one out!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Sue, I checked it out and it seems so simple. However the download would not complete. I tried several times but the gears just wouldn't quit grinding. Not sure why things like this never go quite right for me..but I am sure I did something wrong. At first they said I didn't save it..so went back and did it. Still no go..but..will not give up.
Really easy to use. I've never edited my pictures except for size on blogger when downloading them to my posts. I'm going to love it once it works for me.
Thanks so much. You are always such a great help to everyone! :)

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Thanks Sue. I'm going to try this out. laurie

Kathleen said...

I will have to play with this next week when I have time, thanks!