Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

I’m On My High Horse!

 

 

All right, I admit it- I’m on a tirade and on my high horse about a big pet peeve of mine- Word Verification and/or Captcha!  aaaggghhhh…..

I ran into this situation three times this morning~ It is so darn frustrating to  try and leave a comment on someone’s blog when he/she has it enabled. I tried to comment on several blogs, but I just couldn’t read those letters. And now that Blogger has gone to an almost indecipherable two-parter, it is even worse. It is not fun to have to squint and try to make out what those illegible  numbers and letters say. Sometimes it takes multiple tries and you know for certain that you’ve typed those flippin’ letters and numbers correctly!  And that’s even if you can distinguish between a letter and a number!

I used to muddle through it when it was only one word to decipher, but now, I  am just plain refusing to do it.  I’d really like to leave to be leaving some comment love, but having to jump through the hoop through an extra step of word verification is stopping me. It takes too much time and effort to do so.  So if any of you have word verification enabled and you haven’t heard from me for a while, this is the reason. Please disable this feature. You’ll probably receive a lot more comments if you do.

Blogger and other blog platforms do a very good job of filtering spam! I have only had one or two pieces of spam get through in three years. To me, this is an excellent record. Everything else went into my spam folder.

 

You may not even realize that you have this feature enabled on your blog. Here’s what you do on the Blogger platform:

Go to your blog dashboard and click on Settings. Then click on Comments. Scroll down to “Show Word Verification for Comments?”

comments 2

 

Then,  scroll down to”Show word verification for comments.”  Click on “NO” to disable this feature.  Click on “Save settings.”

 

steps 3-5

 

 

 

I hope that people will read this and consider checking their blogs to see if they have Word Verification enabled. It would make it so much easier for others to comment on their blogs. And we all love our Comment Love! 

 

   Oh, and while you’re at it, please check your settings to make sure that you are not a “No Reply Comment Blogger.”  I just received a comment on this very issue and I couldn’t respond directly to the sender because she didn’t have her e-mail address enabled.  Again….. so frustrating.  If you need to know how to fix this- let me know and I’ll do a quick tutorial.  :-)  

 

 

                                                             Update on March 2-   Click HERE for the tutorial to determine if you are a “No-Reply Comment Blogger”  and learn how to change that setting.

.

The button below has been on my sidebar for a while. Feel free to copy it and post on your own blog!

verification free

 

 

FYI- The method I’m showing above will only work if you are still using the old Blogger interface. At this time, Word Verification is set by default on the new interface. Blogger is aware of this, so I’m told. Perhaps they are making strides to enable an “off switch.” So if you want to disable WV, you must stay within the old interface.

 

.

I just saw that Honey at 2805 has a post about this as well today. Her blog title is “Just Say No!”  

                                                                  Just Say No - Word Verification[4]

                                                                                                                               source

30 comments:

Debby said...

You made me stop mine and I am glad that I did. This new double blurry word verification is terrible. So hard to read. I hope people take your advice.
Another note......do you notice any changes with Google today. I haven't yet.
xo

Debra said...

I have noticed word verification more and more lately. And those words are hard to read - I thought it was just me!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Thanks again, Sue! I've noticed more of it lately, too, and wonder if some of us who had (or just thought we had?) disabled word verification somehow got re-enabled. I've actually been grousing to myself about all these darn bloggers with word verification only to find out that I had it on my blog too! I'm so ashamed.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I typed out a lengthy reply on a blog recently, and after several tries with the words, I just quit and went on to something else. I have spent way to much time worrying with those things - time to stop. If a blogger is that concerned, they can use "comment moderation" which is not an inconvenience to someone leaving a comment. I have that and really don't want to use it, but every time I stop, I have some "undesirable" leave a little message here or there.
Works for me.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I agree that Google has made the WV almost impossible to verify. I give it one shot and if I get it wrong I move on. I think detecting spam is one of the things Google actually does best. No need for WV. You go girl!

Olive Cooper said...

Right. On. Sue.

Blondie's Journal said...

I hear ya Sue! I have been going crazy with the new word verification. Blogger and GFC should have a hotline. It would be ringing off the wall.

XO,
Jane

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

There must be a High Horse relay today...cuz I am soooo frustrated with it....

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Amen sister!!!

Blessings,
Linda

At The Picket Fence said...

I said it to Honey and I'll say it to you Sue...AMEN!! It has just gotten so ridiculous and I can't tell you how many times I have entered the wrong words only to have to start over again or just give up on leaving a comment. So annoying! Thanks for helping to spread the word my friend! :-)
Vanessa

Teri said...

I, too, got rid of this. But I had a hard time finding the dashboard on my site since I switched to the new blogger. Someone ended up helping me figure out how to do it though. If enough people read this and do what you have suggested, then there will be no need for it any longer. Hate those fuzzy words!

Lady of the Woods said...

I disable my word verification, I didn't realize I had it on. Also I'd appreciate the tutor for 'no reply blogger'...sorry but I'm still trying to figure all this out. But thanks for this post too! Lady

Jill Elaine said...

I'm with you on both counts Sue. I'm checking my blog to make sure but I don't think I have that comment moderation on. I hate what it's gone to. horrid to try to decipher. And i liket o reply directly to people too - and so many of them I can't. It is frustrating! Thanks for the post:)

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Here here Sue! those sqiggly two words are a big turn off. However, I decided to keep my "no reply" thing turned on. Luv ya!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Yep it's extremely unpleasant! Worst part is, most folks don't even know it's on their blog! And may I suggest a nice adult beverage to take the edge off?:@)

Pam said...

Yes, the new word verification is enough to give you headaches. If it is someone I love then I'll go through the hoops to leave a comment, but if it's a new blog I'm visiting I just back on out of the comment form and forget about commenting.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I feel your pain. I have no experience in decoding, and those word verification hoops are way too hard to jump through. I hope LOTS of people read this!

Balisha said...

I'm right up there on that horse with you. You explained how to remove it so well. I really am starting to avoid blogs where I have to do this.
Balisha

NanaDiana said...

I think a lot of people don't know that it is even on. My understanding is that if they switched to the new forum that it was automatically reactivated. UGH!! xo Diana

Sue said...

Thanks Sue for pointing out that my blog had that horrible word verification....I love how it just appeared because it was never there before and I didn't change it...it's the computer fairies....and thanks for showing how to fix it....Sue.

Debbiedoo's said...

Thank you my dear for this post. I HATE WV. Trying visiting all the newbies that leave it on. I just do not have the time or patience for it anymore. I try, and I try to tell everyone each week. They are reluctant, which I get. But I hardly get any spam and if I do, I delete it, no biggie.

Marlis said...

Ditto ditto ditto.. i hate that thing.. cause it's a crapshoot if you can guess it right! and it seems that those not on blogger use it more than those on blogger and half the time the screen doesn't open large enough to know that it's even there.. I think i just joined the just say no gang.. xo marlis

Divina Chita Brasil said...

Thank you for this post because I didn't know how to remove it!! Now I do and removed!!!
Baci

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

You have done everyone a service..but then I 've told you that! :) Again, thank you for taking the time to help so many out there...
:) Mona

Tricia said...

I still can't figure out how to turn off word verification with the new blogger dashboard.

Lori E said...

1. No Reply...makes it seem like I am ignoring your comment
2. Word Verification makes me not want to leave a comment.
3. Comment moderation on top of word verification makes me want to stab my screen.
4. Music makes me want to not come back.
5. You make me smile. Thanks for tackling (some of) these topics.

Sandy said...

I agree! I hate word verification! There have been times when I've left avery thoughtful comment to a blogger and then it never went through because the word verification feature was on. Like you, I just KNEW I had typed it correctly. This is so frustrating.

I have a question. Usually, I respond to comments within my blog is this a bad idea or should I email the person or go to their blog to leave a comment. I'm a relatively new blogger so I'm still trying to learn what works best.

~Sandy

emptynestegg said...

Thanks so much for the help. I had no idea I was subjecting people to capcha. I too have such trouble reading them. You explained it well and I hope I get an "A" from the teacher
http://emptynesteggbeading.blogspot.com/

emptynestegg said...

I found you on Pinterest

COUNTRY PICKINS said...

glad I found your blog, and it does get very frustating having to look for a magnifying glass to see the letters. Have a wonderful day! Blessings,
Linda