Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

The Colors of Spring….

 

The weather here in southwest Ohio has been so unseasonably warm for the past two weeks, so when I woke up to the sound of the furnace running this morning, I wasn’t sure what to think. Apparently, the temperatures dipped significantly overnight; but thankfully for the farmers, it didn’t freeze. And I’m counting my blessings that I forgot to set out my pots of pansies and other spring flowers. I had been working on a few pots yesterday afternoon, but promptly forgot about them when I received an invitation from the husband to go out to dinner. For me, food trumps flowers! 

I wanted to check out just how cold it had gotten this morning and was half expecting to see some frost on the grass. Instead, I was greeted with this sight-

backyard view1

A sea of green from the grass and the newly leafed out trees and undergrowth.

 

woods

This is one of two redbud trees that just starting blooming in our backyard. This trees’s blooms aren’t as prolific as they are on the smaller tree on the other side of the yard, but this gorgeous purple adds such pretty contrast to an otherwise sea of green in the trees that have leafed out just within the past week.  I can’t believe that spring has made its appearance so early. I’m certainly not complaining, but I’m still wondering if we still might get hit with a freakish snow storm for Easter. Sure hope not, but it wouldn’t be the first time this has happened!

 

redbud 2

This is the smaller tree in the opposite end of the yard. Its blooms can be seen in the two photos below.

 

 

 

redbud 1

Isn’t this color just spectacular against the clear blue morning sky? Now, can anyone answer this question for me-  if the blooms are pinky-purple, why are these trees called redbuds?

 

redbud2

 

 

 

 

blooms

I’m so anxious for our landscaping to begin filling in. You may recall that we had our backyard totally re-done last fall, so this will be the first time for us to see the spring blooms on the plantings.

 

blooms 2

 

 

 

 

periwinkle

The periwinkle started to bloom a few days ago. I know it will take some time to completely fill in this planting bed, but in a few years it should will look just like a carpet of purple flowers.

 

 

 

 

streambed 2

I was chomping at the bit to hear the stream up and running again, so last week when the temperatures were in the low 80’s, we put the pump back into place.  I still need to scrub off the moss and algae that grew on the rocks. Can you see the icky green stuff on this flat rock where the stream begins?   I stuck my foot into the stream to see how cold it was. Let’s just say my tootsies got pulled out of that cold water real fast!

 

waterfall

The sound of the water spilling onto the rocks is just so soothing.

 

                                                                                                                                                           ~~~~~~~

There is a still a lot to be done to get this backyard in shape after our long winter. The weeds seem to be running rampant, so this year, I’m going to try a natural method of eradicating them. I read that applying vinegar will kill them dead! I’m all for trying something less toxic to the environment, so later this afternoon, I’ll be toting my jug of white vinegar outside! I’ll let you know if it works or not.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

30 comments:

Susie said...

Our furnace ran today also. I love your water feature. Smiles, to you, Susie(She Junks)

Debby said...

Your yard and trees look beautiful and it's still March. You will have fun enjoying your new additions this summer. I am stopping by for some ice tea.

Barbara F. said...

White vinegar does work, it kills them, they turn brown and disappear. BUT you need to keep reapplying very often and if you plant, well, be careful. xo

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, these are some gorgeous images!! My mother-in-law was just telling us about the weather in Ohio. I hope you will share plenty of pictures of your beautiful landscape this year!!

Olive Cooper said...

The red bud is lovely Sue. Let me know about the vinegar as weeds are taking over my monkey grass strip which is four feet wide. All was well until we had trees removed and then when the earth was broken by a bobcat the weeds emerged. Has someone stolen your images? I see you are watermarking in the middle.

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Oh yes, who could forget your gorgeous back yard? I bet you are excited about the new landscape blooming back there. It is beautiful in the pics. We have had wonderful temps too, but like you, everyone is really expecting a cold snap in the next week or two. Hubby is wanting to plant the garden, but has been hesitant.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Your back yard is gorgeous Sue! LOVE that stream!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Enjoyed seeing all your touches of Spring - love the flowering trees. I have wondered the same thing about the red bud trees. :-D I know what you mean about the cleanup - I still have some to do.
Enjoy your evening.

farmlady said...

So beautiful! You're backyard is going to be lovely this summer. It already is.
I love the water feature. Would love to do something like that here.
Spring is blooming isn't it?
Enjoy it all...

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your yard is very pretty Sue! I look forward to hearing your report on how the vinegar works:@)

reFresh reStyle said...

Your yard is gorgeous! I don't know why the redbud is called a redbud! I love the sound of running water too!
Debbie

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I bought two huge ferns yesterday, Sue, but brought them in for tonight, just in case. This is just crazy weather, but today it actually felt like it is supposed to for March. I'll call you later in the week so we can plan something. I'm figuring I need another couple of days to "recuperate"! : )

Jo said...

I am so glad for the Spring to come I know we had a nice winter - just what I needed lol. Your yd looks great can't wait to see it in full bloom

Pam said...

I never knew what those pretty purple tree were before, but I always admire them in people's yards. No idea why they are called redbuds though. I'm with you on the weeds though. I have some huge ones right now. Hope they freeze tonight.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I broke down and turned on the furnace around noon today. Can't believe we had the ac on twice last week just to cool the house down before bedtime. We just finished covering up the huge azaleas at the side of our house. I hope the breeze does not blow them off! Your backyard is just gorgeous Sue! It must make you so happy just to look out your windows! ~Hugs, Patti

Babs said...

Your new backyard is gorgeous. Don't you love red bud trees? Our neighbor across the street has two in her front yard and we get all the enjoyment. I'm trying to find corn gluten to use as a pre-emergent. It's supposed to be good and non-toxic, but I can't find it anywhere down here. We have so many weeds, and I hate putting out weed killer that harms the birds.

ann said...

I love your back yard. It looks like an enchanted woods. My special favorite is your redbud. I have planted them before and they always die after the second year. I want to plant one here at the new place. I love them. Yours are so beautiful.

Abramyan Avenue said...

What a beautiful post...you never disappoint!! I could spend all day/evening in your backyard! It's absolutely beautiful!
-april

Kathleen said...

It is looking good, Sue! It was really warm here, but today brrr, and in the 20's tonight! The wind is ferocious!
I havent had much luck with the vinegar. As Barbara said you have to do it a lot!

Deserae said...

Your backyard is gorgeous!!!!! I might have to try the vinegar on the weeds around out Koi pond.
Have a great week :o)
~Des

A Few Pennies said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous views!

NanaDiana said...

Sue- What a beautiful yard and view you have. Love flowering trees...we only have crab apple trees on our property that flower.

It dropped down below freezing here, too, the last couple of days...but that is normal for us. We broke all kinds of "heat" records this March!

Hope you have a great week-xo Diana

Rettabug said...

Oh Sue...this is just gorgeous in the photographs but I can imagine it is even more spectacular in person!!!

We had to cover all our roses & hydrangeas & some of my blooming bulb plants last night, as it got down to 20º! Yikes! I just knew that would happen. I hope it didn't hurt the blooming trees too much.
Crazy Mother Nature!

Hugs,
Rett

KAT said...

yes isn't is so great to have all the red buds in bloom now ...I love those trees that line the roads around here... I live in a subdivision that is up a hill from the Little Miami river and we have tons of re-buds here too. I just love your rock stream and landscape. amazing !

- KAT -

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

It looks almost like heaven! You have such a beautiful space there. The redbud trees are gorgeous. I've never seen one before.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

What beautiful spring photos, Sue...things are greening up here. too...and the first trees have begun to blossom. The water sounds must be wonderful!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

What a perfectly beautiful place to live. :) The pinks are gorgeous..I am so hoping our Crepe Myrtle blooms this year. The pond..ooooh how I would love a pond! Happy Springtime to you, Sue!!

The Magical Christmas Wreath Company said...

Hi there, I'm your newest followers from the UK. Such a wonderful blog and these blossoms are beautiful. I am glad to see my favourite Spring flowering shrub, Viburnum in your photos. Still waiting for ours to open it's buds yet. Have a wonderful weekend.
Paul

Sergio's Landscaping said...

Without a doubt, Spring can indeed bring wonderful feelings to home owners and gardeners alike. The sight of festive colors is something that's just so lovely to see. Being in the landscape and lawn maintenance Phoenix line of work ourselves, we indeed appreciate that you are sharing these with us.

Debbiedoo's said...

These are such stunning photos Sue! Hope you have an awesome weekend!