Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bah, Bah, Bah….

 

Meet  the newest addition to the pastoral scene in the back hallway- two sweet sheep grazing in the meadow. The picture isn’t very large; in fact, the painting itself is only 5x7 and the entire framed piece measures 10x12.

sheep canvas

I ordered this from my friend,Teresa, who blogs at Our Southern Country Home and Farm.  Last month, she opened her new shop, Spring Valley Junktique, and in her blog photos, I spied this beauty on the wall. She had many more cow and sheep pictures that I would have loved to have ordered, but that just wouldn’t have been practical for the budget! So I’m content with momma sheep and her baby for now.

 

cows

They are a nice complement to the canvas above, where the cows are resting around the pond. The husband gave me with this several years ago as a Christmas gift.

 

tabletop3

 

 

 

pastoral wall

Here are the two canvases together hanging above a small table in the hallway. Since the tabletop is narrow- only 10 inches or so- there’s not much room to place any large objects.  So I kept the table quite simple and balanced-  a small lamp was elevated on a few books on the right side; an urn of greenery was placed in the middle of the table; and a silver baby cup, a small demi-john, and a button bouquet were utilized in a smaller vignette on the other end of the table. 

 

 

button bouquet

 

 

 

salt shaker

The  “vase” for the button bouquet is an old salt shaker filled with bits and pieces of lace. It was made by my friend, Kathy @ Sylvia’s Vintage Daughter, who sells her vintage and up-cycled finds in a booth in Mansfield, Ohio and at various shows throughout Ohio. Kathy will be exhibiting at the Vintage Marketplace during the Springfield Extravaganza on May 18-20. There will be so many other great vendors at the show and I can’t wait to connect with some of my other pals who’ll be showing their wares that weekend.  Did you know that Sue Whitney, of Junkmarket Style, will be there?  Now, I hope that you didn’t infer that I know her and that she’s a friend, but I certainly hope I get the opportunity to meet her. She is the queen of junk, in my book!

 

table 2

In this view, you can see just how narrow the table actually is. Anything wider would have us bumping into it trying to make our way through to the kitchen.  If I had had built this house, I would have had the architect add 12 inches to this four-foot wide hallway. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve run into the wall trying to bring things in from the garage.

 

 

 

 

hall tabletop 

As much as I love this red wallpaper, I’m contemplating white cabinetry for the kitchen reno. And for the new look I’m after, red just isn’t going to cut it. Right now, the cabinetry is glazed in a light brown country French finish so the wall covering works great. But the cleaner look I’m after is just calling out for painted walls.  I’m not going to worry about it for a long while-  the kitchen won’t get done until the roof and windows are replaced. I may be living with my red walls for some time to come!

                                                                   

 

 

Linking to:

     stuff and nonsense     french country cottage     inspiration friday button        Seasonal Sunday - the tablescaper   thrifty things friday      vintage inspiration button

35 comments:

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Sue, be sure you GO to Vintage Marketplace! It is AWESOME! I went to the one in Nasville and met the most wonderful Sue Whitney! She was Wonderful! Sweet, personable and SO approachable!! LOVED HER! Now to that sweet canvas of the mother sheep and her baby! I ADORE it! You know I have a "thing" for sheep! Love this and it looks great with the other one! I am jealous!

OMG! I think I am your first commenter! If I hurry up and hit post!

Have a great weekend!

Lou Cinda

Debby said...

If you look closely at that frame you see sheep all around it. Is it supposed to be sheep or does it just ook like it. Something so peaceful about sheep.
I like the wall paper. Maybe after you wait on the windows and roof (we need both) you wil come back to liking this.

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

That mama and baby sheep couldn't have found a more perfect home, Sue! The whole vignette is so pretty. Thank you for this post, and oh yea, I really wanna go to the extravaganza with you! What shall I pack? Lol

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like a very peaceful vignette Sue! Love your new pic and the frame is just beautiful-enjoy:@)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I really like that picture and the pretty vignette you have created. You did good! :-D
Enjoy your weekend.

Stacey said...

Wow I love the new paintings! They look fantastic on your wallpaper. The whole vignette is really pretty.

Stacey said...

Wow I love the new paintings! They look fantastic on your wallpaper. The whole vignette is really pretty.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Sue! I love the frame it's in, too! It works as a great complement to the picture you have already.

My son's coming Saturday and I've been cleaning like a mad woman today. He will be here until Wednesday, so if you want to do something Thursday . . .

Blondie's Journal said...

The Vintage Marketplace sounds like so much fun, Sue! Shopping meeting new friends, visiting the old...my kind of day!

LOVE the new picture! The frame is awesome. I know how you feel about your wallpaper, I have just the den left with a dark green floral, but hubby loves it. I thought a soft gray would look pretty but he's adamant! Men!

XO,
Jane

Balisha said...

Hi sue,
I love the new addition to your walls. You certainly have a gift when it comes to decorating.
Balisha

NanaDiana said...

Well, I don't mind that you live with the red. I think it is just lovely-warm and inviting. I LOVE your sheep pictures...especially that sweet little one. It is perfect in that setting-xo Diana

Olive Cooper said...

Love the wee painting. Many times I find small painting more interesting and they pack a punch in their own right.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Very French country. Love it.

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

Hi Sue,

I love your new painting. It's adorable and sweet.

Dee

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I really like the paintings on the wallpaper. I think they both compliment each other! We have put so much money into a house I thought was pretty much move in ready but I, we, keep finding more things to change....which in turn, means more $$. IT never ends does it?~Hugs, Patti

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Sue I LOVE LOVE both of those prints!! That whole vignette looks beautiful!

Pam said...

I love your new sheeps. Or is it sheep? The whole area looks wonderful. I don't envy you if you'll be removing the wallpaper. It's not a fun job - unless you hire someone else to do it!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh, I love those adorable sheep! The frames are simply marvelous! The entire vignette is something from a magazine. Don't worry about the wall paper, your home is gorgeous and all thing come with time.Big hugs,
Patti
p.s. Don't forget to link.

Jo said...

Love the picture! I'm excited to go this yr to the extravaganza as well

Jemsmom said...

That picture is just beautiful! I love your red paper, but totally get the clean neutral thing. I am feeling it right now too! If we build, I think I am going to do the white cabinets. I just love the clean look of them! We are in MN right now and start the house hunting tomorrow! Cross your fingers for us!

Rettabug said...

Hi Sue!

I am always so impressed with the way you can gather totally unrelated objects into such beautiful vignettes!

Both pictures look like they were meant to be together & I'm glad you found them for your lovely home. I LIKE the red wallpaper! (this coming from someone who has ALL cream furniture...LOL)

Hugs,
Rett

Joy said...

I love that what a pretty vignette. That bottle is very unique. Have a great weekend!!

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Sue. This whole vignette is lovely, and both art pieces are wonderful. Amazing what you did with such a narrow space. The wall paper is great for the vignette, that's for sure! Thanks for visiting my baby shower post. ~Zuni

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

How precious is that picture and so beautifully framed as well! I love it!
One of the prettiest ones I've seen!

Kathleen said...

Not BAA D! :) Enjoy your new picture. How old is your house that you are re doing so much?

Jojo said...

A perfect painting for the season.

1House1Couple said...

Awesome combination. Great maximization of the space. Hah! Indeed you are very creative. Kudos! :)

~Lisha

p.s. I found you through Lori's blog at bleak2unique. I'm your newest linky follower! if you want you can linky follow me back at onehouseonecouple.blogzam.com :)

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I love anything that has to do with sheep. The frame is beautiful. Great find!

Diann said...

Love your new canvas! It looks so beautiful in this little vignette! What a wonderful find. Thank you for joining TTF this week. And have a great day!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love your new artwork, your vignette with the two painting is gorgeous. Magazine worth! I'm at The Tablescaper. Hugs,
FABBY

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Those two pictures look like they belong together, and your table vignette is perfection. (I really like the wallpaper too). laurie

Babs said...

Sue, I'm LOVING your paintings! They're both so serene and gorgeous, but the sheep is my favorite. You have a good eye to spot that painting
in Teresa's shop. Your vignettes are always so interesting with unique pieces.

Pamela said...

I LOVE all of those! The sheep is my favorite though. Please come by sometime for Treasure Hunt Thursday!:)

Sarah said...

Sue, this vignette is lovely. The new mama and baby picture work perfectly here.

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

I love your little button bouquet. So adorable. Great decor!