Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Are You a “No Reply” Blogger? Make Yourself E-Mail Friendly!

 

 

If you read my last post on word verification/captcha, you know that I briefly touched on the “No-reply” comment blogger. I received a couple of requests for a tutorial for determining “no-reply” blogger status and what to do to disable that feature.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, let me give you an example of what it’s all about:

You’ve received some comment love from a follower or a casual reader of your blog and you’re reading that person’s comment in your e-mail. You decide to reply directly back to her/him. You start an e-mail reply to the person and when you’re done, you’re ready to click to “reply.” But wait- you just happen to notice that there is not an actual e-mail address to reply to because the commenter doesn’t have his/her e-mail address enabled in his/her profile-   you see only a name and ‘noreply-comment@blogger.com.’  With this address, there is no way to respond to the sender. If you were to click on “send,” the e-mail would get lost in cyberspace and you would have spent your valuable time for naught.

The screenshot below shows an example of a “no reply” address.

no reply blogger email

 

I can’t tell you how many replies I have sent and didn’t even notice that they were never going to be received because I didn’t use to check to make sure there was an actual address; but now I always make sure to see that the effort I put forth into a reply to a comment is actually going to be received by the commenter.

Some of you may not even be aware that your e-mail address isn’t enabled through your profile and you may be wondering why no one has returned answers to your questions or comments. Here is the way to check and see if you have it enabled or not. You will first want to access your Blogger profile. Depending on which Blogger interface you are using, you’ll see one or the other of the following two examples in the screenshots below.

In the old interface, go to your Dashboard. Next to your photo, click on “Edit Profile.”

0

 

 

 

 

In the new interface, access your Dashboard via your blog and you will see a screen that looks like this one.    Click on “Blogger Profile.” 

new interface profile

 

 

 

Regardless of whether you used the new interface or the old interface to access your profile, the next screen will come up looking like this:

enable e-mail address

If the box to show your e-mail address is NOT checked and your e-mail address is NOT placed in the first box, then you are a “No- reply” blogger.

To enable it, click within the box to show your e-mail address, then make sure to enter your address in the e-mail address box.   After you’ve enabled your e-mail address, go to the bottom of the page and click on “Save Profile.”

                                                             save profile

               

Now that you’ve completed all of these steps, your e-mail address will appear in the sender’s block of an e-mail and others will be able to respond to you directly from their e-mail.  No more mail lost in cyberspace!

e-mail address enabled in mail-crop

                                           

.

Now I know that some “No-reply” bloggers will defend not placing an e-mail address in your profiles because you want all comments sent directly to your blog instead of to your mailbox. And some of you actually have your e-mail address posted within the body of your blog; but I just think that by doing this, you could be making your readers work a little harder to try and get in touch with you after you’ve spent valuable time to leave them a comment. I have some blogging friends (you girls know who you are! LOL)  who do this, so I keep their e-mail addresses handy in my address book so I can get back to them when they shoot me an e-mail/comment.

Hope this tutorial helped those of you who may not know that you are a “No-reply” blogger.  Please help spread the word-   if you know someone who is a “No-reply” blogger, let them know it by commenting on one of their blog posts. That’s what I had to do this morning when someone left a comment on my word verification tutorial. This person also asked for a tutorial on the no-reply blogger situation but I couldn’t e-mail her back to tell her I’d be doing a post about it because she was a “No-reply” blogger!

And if YOU are the “No-reply” blogger, please think about changing your settings. We all enjoy getting replies to our comments, and if these settings are in place, chances are that you’ll get more direct answers to your comments.  Thanks.  :-)

If you’re experiencing any problems changing your settings, feel free to shoot me an e-mail and I’ll try to help you.

33 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Sue thanks for this post. I never look at the e-mail address when I am replying to and e-mail, now I will!

Janette - The2Seasons said...

Thanks for the great info.

Babs said...

Sue, Thanks for this post. I checked to see if I was a "no reply" blogger. I wasn't sure if I was or not.:) My computer skills are basic, at best, so your post was much appreciated and really easy to follow. Thanks.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Haha, Sue! You couldn't reply to the blogger who asked for a tutorial on "No reply". Before I reply I always check to make sure an email address comes up when I hover the cursor over their name. It always seems to be those who ask me a question in their comment and I can't reply to them! I don't get that they want the comment sent directly to their blog. I get the email AND the comment sent to my blog.

Cindy said...

Thank you Sue! You actually helped me with this a while ago! I think most people don't realize that they are a "no reply" blogger. It is VERY frustrating because sometimes I can't find these people Anywhere! Thanks again!
XO Cindy

Lady of the Woods said...

oh boy, I just got scolded. :D I did ask you for this tutorial on your 'word verification' post which I did correct to remove. I also set 'comments' to open a new box just like yours! :D I didn't realize what it meant in the beginning of setting up a blog. I'm still learning. And thanks to this very clear tutorial I corrected my 'no reply' blogger' as well. I do love to hear from people and the last thing I want is to contribute to grief! thank you!! hugs, Lady :D

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Hi...now I do have a question, and you won't be able to reply using the email...but I guess I don't get it. When someone comments to me...they have a blog. So I comment to them through their blog. Even answers to questions can be done that way...so I am just wondering why this would be an issue. Maybe I just don't get it, but then it wouldn't be the first time!!
I love all the helps you are talking about though...

Divina Chita Brasil said...

Thanks again!!!
Have a nice weekend!!!

Pam said...

Great job of explaining that Sue. Nowadays a huge part of blogging is the conversation back and forth between bloggers outside of their actual blog postings and I think the no-reply people are missing out on that aspect of blogging. I can't tell you how many people I've become close to just by responding to their comment and then they will respond back to me and so forth and next thing you know we're talking about our kids and dogs and husbands.

momto8 said...

you have a great way of simplifying hard things...that is a gift!! thank you for this post!

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

'cause I luv ya so much I am going to change back and see what happens. (big grin). Now I have a question (and you can hit reply and see if I did what I said I was going to do.) :) My question: how did you make those cool red arrows on your tutorial? xoxo

Made In The South said...

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.
I finally was able to get that crazy word verification off. I did not even realize it was on. (feel free to comment hassel free anytime)LOL
Hope you are having a fabulous weekend,
Melissa

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Sue. We ALL thank you for this post and the previous one! ~Zuni

Katherines Corner said...

This happens to me all of the time! I forget to check and see if it is a no reply and I type this long email and then five minutes later i get it back, giggle xo

xinex said...

Thanks for all the tips, Sue. And thank you for the condolences...Christine

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Sue, my first thought on this is how wonderfully sweet and caring you are to help everyone understand this. I think I am alright because I have gotten email from lots of bloggers, but I am going to check anyway.
I am still on the old blogger face but I had the new one and went back. The new one drove me a bit nuts.
What do you think of the new one and do you like it better? If so I am wondering why?
Again..thank you and I am going to double check just to be sure and when I switch, I will be sure to check that the settings are correct!
Again..thanks!!
Mona

Shambora Studios said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the tutorials! I am NOT a no-reply blogger, but honestly I had no idea I had word verification on! It is a very frustrating thing to deal with...I'm turning it off. Thanks for the tutorials!
xo
Jackie

Rettabug said...

You did a great job of explaining this Sue & you know why I am still a "no reply blogger" by choice.

Now, can you explain to me how to reset the time stamp on my profile??? I can't find it ANYWHERE & I've looked all over!!! I had no idea it was off...thanks for telling me. Now tell me how to fix it. LOL

Hugs from Snow Country up North,
Rett

Pink Piccadilly Pastries said...

Hi Sue! just popped over from My Cozy Corner. Saw your blog about the non reply blogger and wanted to know more. Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. I am on my way to fix this now! So much to learn! If you get a sweet tooth, come by for a visit! Jina

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Sue!

How handy that you posted this. I was just going to help my daughter fix her setting and this post with the screenshot is wonderful!

xoxo Bunny Jean

felicity said...

Thank you for this, especially for addressing both Blogger interfaces in your how-to. I've linked to this post to spread the word.

Cindy~ Heart and Sew Inspirations said...

I am a new blogger and found this very helpful. I found you through a similiar post recently on "From my front porch to yours". I removed the word verification. Silly me, I thought it was a good thing to have it on. And now I understand what "no reply blogger" means. I'm good on that too. Thanks so much for taking the time to inform us.
PS also wanted to mention, I USED to be one of 'those' that would reply to a comment on my blog, FROM my blog. I guess I thought they would receive a notification of some sort. Thanks for enlightening me on this also. :)

Donna Wilkes said...

Thank you for the very clear tutorial of how to change the "no reply" on my comments. I have tried to keep the word verification off as I despised those idiotic things, I am new and thought you had to turn on those two things. I hope this is coming to you with my correct email. Thanks - I will definitely visit again!
Distressed Donna Down Home

Lizzy said...

Just happened across this post via a google search. Thanks for the info!

Jamie said...

I've done all of this yet my comments are still sent from no-reply blogger. Any idea why?

Angela LeMoine said...

Thanks for posting! Wondering if you could help me out because my settings are correct and yet still under the blog list and it still shows that I am a no reply blogger. Im completely puzzled.

laurice-with-love said...

Hi! I tried the steps, but I'm still a noreply@blogger. :(

Ashley McGee Flores said...

This doesn't work for me with the new interface. When I hit edit profile it goes to my Google+ profile. :-(

alwaysashley86@gmail.com

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Thank you for sharing this. I just emailed your instructions to a new blogger who didn't know she was a "no reply" blogger. :)

Danielle Hudson said...

I keep changing it but then it goes back! I have unlinked to Google plus thinking it was the culprit, but Google plus has seemed to attach itself to me:/ any suggestions? danih03@wowway.com

Meg Hodson said...

OK, I am using the new interface, but when I clicked on user settings, it only gave two options...nothing really elaborate. What am I missing?

Cammie Smith said...

Thanks, Sue! I couldn't figure out why I had randomly become no-reply, and that was it! Great post.

nashwa nabil said...

Hope to see our faculty site, thanks in advance
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/home
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/studentsunion
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/youth-welfare
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/another-services
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/statistical-analysis
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/post-graduates
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/statistical-analysis
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/registration-requirements
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/2013-05-12-11-09-23
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/list-of-graduate-studies
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/programs-courses
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/study-tables
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/exams-tables
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/exam-results
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/graduate-statistical-analysis-and-databases
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/staff-services
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/staff-statistical-analysis-and-databases
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/staff-members
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/society-service
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/medical-convoys
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/environmental-activity
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/units-of-a-special-nature
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/minutes-of-meetings-of-the-committee-on-environment
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/unit-crisis-and-disaster-management
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/quality-unit
http://www.fmed.bu.edu.eg/fmed/index.php/projects