Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Weighing In On My New Scale

I have been wanting a vintage scale for the longest time but just haven’t had any luck finding one. That is, until the husband and I visited an antiques mall in Tipp City, Ohio  a couple of weeks ago. The beauty shown below was on display near the wrap desk and I didn’t even see it until I was almost ready to pay for my purchases. I barely hid my excitement, but I did stay cool and calm as I asked the cashier if it was from her booth. Oh, I already knew it was- I had already selected some things from her booth and they had the same booth number on the tags.

I walked back to her booth to pick up a few more items and as she was doing a little fluffing, I asked her if she would consider a lesser price on the scale. I really wasn’t sure that she would come down from the $95 price. She walked over to the wrap desk to get her calculator and then shot me back a price $71. I didn’t hesitate one bit as I told her I would take it!

The husband had to carry that heavy sucker out of the store and as he gingerly placed it on the back seat of the car he asked, “Now where are you going to put this, Sue? It’s not going into the garage like all the other stuff, is it?”  Ha ha… This man knows me well! But I knew exactly where it was going and I told him so. And now it’s holding court on top of the console in the foyer, all dolled up and looking good!

 

 

scale, weight

So often, when you can actually find these old scales, they are missing their weights. This one is complete, right down to the heavy plate. Now the plate has a crack through it and a previous owner attempted a fix but did a rather sloppy job of gluing; but I’ll take care of it when I get some free time. Right now, I’m in the middle of a painting job- walls AND a desk! This is the reasonI haven’t been around to blog at all these last few weeks.

 

 

 

foyer console

The plate side of the scale just called out to hold a cloche and some shells. I added a bit of greenery from the discount shelf at Wal Mart. That little plant was only $1.37 and it was healthy as could be!  The opposite side of the scale holds my old leather bound books tied up in waxed twine.

 

 

shell

A knobby starfish and some pretty brown and cream shells add both smooth and rough texture to the vignette. A small brass key sits between them to add some visual metal interest. Do you see the crack in the platter? I keep telling myself that it just adds character for right now!

 

 

books wrapped in twine

These books show up in many of my vignettes. They just look so good wherever they get placed.

 

 

brown transferware platter

I finally was able to find some brown transferware when I was at the Springfield Extravaganza last summer. This platter is one of those pieces and is usually hanging in a wall grouping with the other four plates.  But we all appropriate from around the house, don’t we? The berry bundle is the one my friend Jean gave me in December. Jean is my stockist for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and she has a booth in Past Perfect, my favorite shop up in Tipp City.

 

 

layered frame and etching

The console is placed up against the stairway wall and the rails of the bannister don’t give me a place to hang anything. I usually have this Italian etching leaned up against them, but the small scale of it just didn’t work correctly with the height of the cloche on the scale. I needed more height so I initially tried a mirror behind the etching. It didn’t look right, but I think that this empty frame does the trick just fine.

 

 

frame and etching

 

 

weight

Just look at the gorgeous patina on the scale’s weight. I get a little excited when I see stuff like this. Silly, perhaps, but it just makes me smile!

 

I’ll be busy working on my project for the rest of the week and then I start one for a new client, so I won’t be around much. I’m waiting for a package to arrive- I ordered something from a blogging friend last week. It should arrive today and I can’t wait to see it.  Hope to be showing it to you as soon as I can.

 

Follow Me on Pinterest

This post is linked to:

Table Top Tuesday     tuesday's treasures uncommon slice of suburbia     Knick of Time Tuesday1    nifty thrifty tuesdays      wow us wed.

      centerpiece          sherry     favoritesonthe1st   inspiration friday button   2805

 

 

   vintage inspiration button   charm of home   french country cottage   stuff and nonsense     Ivy and Elephants Banner2 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Wednesday   - Ivy and Elephants 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

64 comments:

Debby said...

It all looks nice. I love the scale. I would be surprised if it wasn't cracked. I can hear Murphy saying those words, hah.
What are you up to my dear.
I am trying hard to be well. New antibiotics started.
(((((HUGS))))

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I do like your new prize! Yes - they are hard to find with a full set of weights.
I had one that had a scoop and full set of weights - sold it and have regretted it since.

Barbara F. said...

Blogger did something to the comment page, but I like this scale very much. I am following you on Linky and Networked blogs. Can't imagine what will transpire in a couple of days. xo

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

What a great piece and it looks so good on your entry table. A lovely vignette.

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, it is fabulous and I might would have got it too even though that is out of my budget. That style of scale is hard to find. I have two Wayrite veggie scales I paid less than five dollars for, thankfully. I cannot get anyone on my blogroll anymore either. If you figure this out please let me know what to do.Hugs, olive

Gail said...

What a great find Sue and you have it displayed beautifully! Enjoy your evening, Gail

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Love it Sue..I have a few old ones myself I need to drag out of the barn..I really love the cloche on top..Hope you have a GREAT week my dear friend hugs and smiles Gloria

Cindy said...

I Love it! Your husband sounds like mine "what are you going to do with THAT?" They just don't see things the way that we do! It's just lovely...
XO Cindy

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

LOVE that scale Sue, and the beautiful vignette you created!

eleven-o-one said...

that is a beautiful scale! I've been looking for one like it. Beautiful photos, too! Visiting from Knick of Time...

Jo said...

Love it! The display it very nice I wish I had your eye

Pam @ Frippery said...

That is just gorgeous Sue!

sweet violets said...

Now, that is a great find and a great price!!! Good for you!!! Just perfect in the hallway, nice set up...hugs...cleo

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That scale is fabulous, Sue! What a great looking piece and I think that crack definitely adds character. The cloche is perfect for that side and I love your little plant. I want to get some little ones for that little terrarium I picked up a few weeks ago.

Next time we get together you'll have to tell me what the Springfield Extravaganza is all about!

chateau chic said...

You got a good deal on your fabulous scale! Good for you. It's a nice one.
I'm your newest follower, Mary Alice

Pam said...

I sort of like the cracked-ness of the scale. It's been around a long time so it's expected to have seen a little action. It looks great on that table. Love the frame too. What's with the new comment screens?

Betsy said...

I love it and your vignette is so rich looking. It would be perfect anywhere! What an incredible deal you got.

Andrea said...

what a great find, and I love how you put it all together in that vignette. I'm also on the hunt for brown transferware...I love it!

Deserae said...

I love your new treasure! It looks fabulous on your entry table....the whole vignette is so gorgeous! The crack woudln't bother me....I like things imperfect and with character :o)
~Des

PS. I am now following you on Google and Linky....hope you will follow me back :o)

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, what a great find!! You have such pretty vignettes! And you're right...the crack adds character! LOL!

Jill Elaine said...

I love empty frames:) I use them all the time! they are one of my favorite things to look for when garage saleing and at the flea.

Pat said...

I love it Sue. I especially like how you displayed it on the console and the cloche is brilliant!

farmlady said...

$71. dollars? Are you kidding? What a great price for this scale. It's beautiful. That was the find of a lifetime.
I love what you did with it. You have such good taste... and kind of a "sixth sense" about arranging these things.
Very Nice!!

Marsha said...

I'm loving your scale--a beauty and so handsome in your home. I have one of those little plants, too. Pretty hardy-which is always a plus.

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

You scored!It's beautiful!
My mom did a painting of a scale similar to this. It sold instantly!

http://thelaurelhedge.blogspot.com/2008/08/linda-shobe.html

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

oh and...
Thank you for linking up to "Cowgirl Up!"
oxox,
Linsey

Janis said...

a beautiful vignette, and the scale is fab!!! Just lovely! So glad to have found you at Cowgirl Up...I'm your newest follower!

Honey at 2805 said...

Love your new scales and the vignette is gorgeous!

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

I love your scale, and your books, and your sea shells and your stairway ... a feast for my eyes!

S
xo

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Thank you for sharing with us at NTT...love the scale...I've been looking for one...maybe your good luck will rub off on me.

Blessings,
Linda

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Your scales is stunning. I love it. What a great vignette. Everything looks amazing. thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That is a fabulous scale! I've been looking for one too for some time and no luck. I love yours and the transferware too!

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

I LOVE your new scale! What a great find!

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Fabulous scale!!! And your vignette is so pretty and interesting! :)

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Oh, and I am your newest follower!

JunqueMagnet said...

Definitely worth the wait for this beauty. Love that marble. Enjoy.

Robin said...

Sue,

I have tagged you in my "11 Questions" post.

http://robinsnestquilting.blogspot.com/2012/02/11-questions.html

Check it out!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous scale and great idea to add the cloche. I recently shared our Italian scale which I often change out for the seasons. I think I'll try to find a cloche that will fit one of the trays. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing. ~ sarah

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

It's beautiful Sue, and I have missed you! I love these old scales and yours has lots of character.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Love your gatherings for your vintage scale. Don't you love the moment you discover something you've been searching for? Makes your heart skip with delight!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

What a great scale! And a great deal, too. Looks perfect on that table.

Stopping by from The Polohouse Favorites on the First link.

Maria Elena said...

So pretty! What an awesome find!
Love the way you have it set up!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh I am in love with your scale. I love how you incorporated that fabulous cloche on the scale as well. Your pictures are wonderful. I would love for you to share this amazing post at our WIW linky party.

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Tartan Terrace said...

Those scales are so fabulous! What a great deal you got. I wouldn't worry at all about the crack…I think it adds character. Love your blog!

Audrey said...

Love your scale and the way you have it displayed. Inspires me to dig mine out and do a Spring decoration with it.
Blessings,
Audrey Z.

Geneva said...

I can see why you were excited about that scale, and you've done a beautiful job creating the perfect vignette with it. It's probably very happy to live in your home!
~ Geneva

Samantha said...

I want one! Thanks for linking up to "Cowgirl Up!". I'll be looking for you next week too!
:) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls

Sarah said...

Just love this post and I'm back for another look-see.
~ Sarah

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Very cool scale! You did a great job on the vignette!

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Oh Sue, I haven't been around much in blogland, and I am just now seeing your scales. I LOVE THEM!!!! Hubby brought an old baby scale home from his office the other day that I love also. I put a really high price on them, because I don't want them to sell, lol. Been reading your other post about the e-mail and word verification things, great job! I can't see those two words and have just stopped commenting on blogs with word verification, AND have just got to where I click off any blog that has so many pop up advertisements that I can't view the blog. What's up with that? It is as irritating as the word verification to me. Have a great week-end! I'm off to paint.

Kathleen said...

Love your new scale, and what you have done with it!
Thanks for your crusade on the word id. It was always bad, but now it is awful! I wonder of those who have it even know!
The no reply bloggers can set up an email addy just for that purpose, so I don't get it.
I had a winner of a give away, no reply addy, and no blog, so how do I contact ?
I also don't get why if I go to a blog and leave a comment, someone emails me rather than showing the same courtesy?:)

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Love the old scale, Sue!

It looks fantastic at you entry table. Love the layered frames too.

You got a great deal!
Beautiful.
:)
A

Karren said...

I came from Katherine's Corner to give you a wink. I've enjoyed your blog and your wonderful scale and visual scape its great and now, will continue to do the link hop!! Now that we met come follow me, on my..... GFC....

I would love for you to stop by, enter for a chance to win In The Annual Fashionista Event, the biggest of the year, there are over $12,000 in prizes!!
Oh! My Heartsie

@Oh! My Heartsie
Karren

Katherines Corner said...

score!!! love how you put it all together too, it looks lovely. xo

Renee @ Rustic Crafts said...

Oooooh and aaaahh---you lucky, lucky girl! I am loving that scale :) You have it displayed so nice too!

I have a new link party just for rustic, recycled and shabby chic projects and decor. I would love to have you share this - http://rustic-crafts.com/?p=5878

Marlis said...

Great find on the scale.. Love love the piece and the beautiful vignette. xo marlis

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, what a terrific old scale. I would love to find one, too. You got such a deal on that. Glad she came down on it for you. Love the whole vignette. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

I love the scale and especially the cloche on top. Beautiful!

Pam

Babs said...

Wow, Sue! Your vignette looks right out of a design magazine. LOVE your scale, even with it's cracked plate. It looks so good with the cloche and your other items and I like how you layered your elements.

Ivy and Elephants said...

So gorgeous! Thank you so much for linking, you were featured this week! Come on by and grab a button.
Hugs,
Patti

Poppy said...

Such a beautiful vignette! Love all the visual texture in the shells and the vintage books tied in twine:)This is a gorgeous scale and has found a perfect home on your console table.I liked the part about the price...wonderful bargain!Thanks for sharing this inspiring post with us and for your sweet comment on my book covers. Have a great weekend!Poppy

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, your scaoe is a beauty, and you have it decorated so beautifully! Love it. laurie

shivabizconn said...

nice post.Ishida India Pvt. Ltd PROVIDES MANUFACTURERS&SUPPLIERS OFl Weighing Scales.

Sandy said...

Sue, loved this posting about your scale. It's displayed beautifully. Love the cloche and the old books too. I had to laugh at the comment your husband made it sounds familiar around my house.

I now am the proud owner of 2 vintage scales but mine are different than yours. Hubby thinks I should stop at 2 scales. Yeah right!