Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ironing and a touch of love…..

 

 

The weather was gloomy as the rain fell steadily here in southwest Ohio yesterday. Not a heavy downpour, but just enough drizzle to make it cold and uncomfortable. It was the perfect day to pull out all of the husband’s dress shirts from the laundry basket and iron them.  (Can there EVER be a perfect  day to iron?)  I must admit that this job is not high on my list of household chores, but I refuse to pay the cleaners $4 to do each one! And I want him to look good- clean laundry IS a reflection on me, after all!

When I used to send shirts out to be laundered, nine times out of ten I ended up re-ironing them anyway. Too many wrinkles from being placed in those bags with the sleeves out of place or the button plackets not lined up all the way down.  Was I being too picky?  For $4 apiece, I think I had every right to be! So a few years ago, I just resigned myself to washing and ironing them at home.

I need a distraction from the drudgery of this chore, so I always set up the ironing board in front of the television so I can have a little entertainment. But can you really call watching endless shows of people having their kitchens and bathrooms re-done in as little as three days entertainment?  I kept seeing all of the flaws in the drywall, the poor paint jobs, the mis-cut tiles…..   Now I wouldn’t mind being discovered in Home Depot by one of those guys asking me if I wanted my bathroom re-done; but I don’t think they’d appreciate me telling them that the quality of work was sub-par!  So what if it’s a free make-over? Shouldn’t I expect “professionals” to do their best?  I don’t think I’ll ever have to worry about that happening, though, because those guys never seem get out of California to come to the midwest! And what are the chances of them finding ME?

All right, I have digressed big-time!   Back to the ironing….   I pressed the heck out of the husband’s shirts and now they are so crisp and fresh looking.  The guy will look like a million bucks.   Ok, maybe a couple hundred….      And though I’ll never achieve the heavy starched crispness that a professional laundry is known for, at least I know that all the buttons are intact on each shirt I iron and I know that I won’t be permanently ironing in creases in the all the wrong places. Don’t you wonder why we can never seem to iron those suckers out once they’ve been set in?  They must use industrial strength starch and extremely high heat in their pressers because multiple washings and ironings never seem to get out those errant creases. 

After two hours of watching the tube and ironing the shirts, I popped downstairs to work on a table vignette for Valentine’s Day. Here’s a sneak peek of what I’m using as part of the centerpiece. I bought this heart for 50% off at an after Christmas sale. Isn’t it sweet and perfect for Cupid’s Day?   I’ll be joining Bargain Hunting and Chatting with Laurie for her Valentine’s Day party on Feb. 10.  Love is in the air at her house, let me tell you! Stop over and see what she’s been doing.  Now, I still have to go put all those nice clean shirts back in the closet!  Do you think the husband knows they were done with love?

 

                                                                                             valentine heart

 

 

Don’t forget to sign up to follow me on the new Linky Followers, if you haven’t done so already.  It’s a  great new way to keep track of your followers and you can read more about it in this post.  I’ve discovered some fun new blogs to follow while using Brent’s new linky service.  When you sign up for Linky Followers, your blog is automatically listed in the site’s blog directory.  It’s a great way for others to find you!  Now go check it out!

 

 

                                                                              Cindy has a new linky party going today- Stop by to see her!

                                   

                                                                                    woman thing

 

 

Also  linking to Cheri’s Linky Follower Party  Hop:

                                  890242306

 

You, too, can have your open Blog Hop Linky Par-Tay!  Just grab the BLOG HOP code (find the code right under the Linky Party where it says, CLICK HERE TO ENTER - just under that it says: WHAT IS A BLOG HOP?  GET THE CODE HERE  (just copy the code and paste on your site).
The link party will appear on your site too!

 

44 comments:

Balisha said...

Hi Sue,
i remember back several years ago...we had a group of women who got together to do crafts. We would all bring something to work on and share a dish to pass. One day a gal came in with her ironing board...she plugged in her iron and proceeded to do her ironing while we crafted.I always think of her, when I plug in the iron. I really can't get used to the wrinkled look that the younger people are wearing today. I'm like you, I guess, I like a crisp ironed shirt. Balisha

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I know the joys of ironing. I actually LIKE to iron..weird, I know! lol It gives me license to let my mind roam and watch some mindless TV. I'm with you, though, I think a lot of the work they do on those quick makeovers is crappy work...and, unless you are looking for it, all the crappiness is hidden under the "glitz".

Happy Sunday to you! xo Diana

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I use to enjoy a lot of the shows on HGTV - now days rarely watch any of them. I don't like to iron and do as little as possible. Had to do to much of it growing up.
Been gloomy and rainy here also. So far no rain today, but grey and dreary.
Enjoy your day.

Gail said...

I still iron too but not like I use to. It's been a cloudy, rainy weekend here in Maryland as well. Can't wait to see the vignette you created with that darling heart. Enjoy your day, Gail

Jemsmom said...

You go girl. I would rather scrub a toilet than iron. I am not good at it! I have tried and I really am not good at it to the chagrin of my step mom who irons everything!!! I can't wait to see your vignette!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I hate to iron and haven't done much in years!! Good for you to take care of your husbands shirts like that. I love that heart and i'm excited about all the Valentine's decor coming soon. I'm going to do the linky thing and I just added it to my blog! hugs, Linda

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, I adore ironing. Especially once stained vintage linens I have rescued with Oxiclean that are now white-that gives me joy. I installed the Linky widget on my blog and followed you and thanks for following me. hugs, olive

Kathleen said...

DH irons his own shorts! He doesn't iron mine, why should I do his? :)
His mom trained him well, he sews his own buttons, etc too!

I don't like that you have to fill out a form to follow with the linky. Annoying.

Can't wait to see your vignette, and I will be attending Laurie's party too.

Now don't forget the 4th Annual St. Pat's Day Blog Crawl on the 13th Ms. Sullivan!
Have a great Sunday, no ironing permitted on Sunday! :)

Barbara F. said...

Hi Sue, my mother always seemed to be ironing, and she was excellent at it. I iron only occasionally, actually don't have an ironing board anymore, just a towel on the table and off I go. I also have a personal size steamer, that might work on stubborn creases. xo

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

How funny that you would do a post on ironing (well, actually it's about LOVE, isn't it? it's a labor of love--sweet), because as I ironed napkins for today's post I thought about some sort of an ironing post--and here we were, you and I emailing each other last night too...our minds were in sync! Anyway, I love to iron napkins--it doesn't require a lot of attention, so it's a Zen-like exercise for me. I don't watch TV, have music on...just quiet time with almost-instant gratification. Sweet, loving post, Sue. Hubby may not have stopped to think about your labor of love, but I bet deep down he feels it. ~Zuni

Debby said...

I don't even know where my iron is.
Sweet post.
I am feeling better today.

ritad said...

I love to iron!! Sick I know.. I even iron our sheets, nothing better than nice clean, freshly ironed sheets..Heaven!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I got a kick out of your ironing saga. I have to admit that I gave up ironing shirts when I went back to work 17 years ago. I just couldn't do it all and honestly, I was more than happy to give up that chore! My husband grumbles once in a while about smashed buttons or a crease but most of the time he looks perfect and pressed. The sun is shining here and the sky is blue. Unbelievable...

Katherines Corner said...

Di you read my ironing blog? Not my favorite chore, giggle. Hugs and smooches! P.S> I look forward to your valentine reveal.

Jill Elaine said...

I hate to iron. My hubby gets his shirt ironed on Sunday morning if it needs it. He wears uniforms to work that get washed and ironed by a laundry service. THANK GOODNESS!
I am really liking Linky. Wishing all my old followers would switch so they are with me when my blog switches. Just a mind thing but I like knowing who and seeing how many people found my blog worthy of clicking the follow button! I will have to add a reminder to my next post like you did. You are on my very favorite list for cluing me in to LInky!!
Thanks again:)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I don't love to iron, but do it when I have to. My son is the preppy one and wears Ralph Lauren button downs. 100% cotton! He learned to iron himself and is better at it than me!

I did the new follow thingy...I am so confused about all of this stuff but I want to be able to get to you! lol

Lou Cinda

Mary Ellen said...

When my mom was here in October we ironed all the piles of linens I had. 2 irons and ironing boards, 2 days- 3 mini-series movies later we got it all done!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I hate to iron and do not do it unless absolutely necessary. I am so glad my better half does not have to wear a white shirt to work everyday now. :) I don't understand what all this is about with the GFC...I don't want to be stressed about having a blog. Do I have to do this? Hope you are enjoying this sunshine!~Hugs, Patti

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Sue,
Oh this is precious and thank you SO much for linking up to the party!!! It is amazing what we do for love, isn't it? I adore the heart you posted too!! I hope you're having a beautiful day!!! XO Cindy

Your Craft Book said...

Fantastic big heart I cannot wait to see what you create with it. Hope to see it on your blog, thanks for sharing, Maureen

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

That is too funny, I watch TV when I iron too, but I send hubbies shirts to the cleaners. Here they are maybe a $1 apiece. And I am a LF follower. I hope we can get everyone transferred over, cuz who knows what will happen with GFC.

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

Okay, now I'm convicted...I so neglect ironing my husbands work shirts. Thanks for the nudge.

Found you through the linky followers blog hop...I started out at it's very cheri...glad i found you. I'm now a linky follower.

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

Tera Leigh said...

Love your gorgeous blog! So glad I found you via the Linky Blog Hop. Following you now! Hope you can come visit me at http://www.eccentricleopard.com

Inspire Me Heather said...

I'll be Linky Following you too - what a great way to connect!

kim said...

Just found you and am now following through the Linky Follower! Hope you will stop by and follow back:)
http://too-much-time.com/

Tera Leigh said...

What you need is some of my "gadgets" to help you pass the time while ironing! LOL! Did I mention I have this little speaker set for my iPad? Great for music while you work!

Sherry said...

I like what you said, and I think you are right. We kinda get stuck within a circle of blogs and it's good to spread our wings a little more. A lot of newer bloggers just trying to get their voices out there! Like me :)

Erika @ My Road to Savings said...

I am a new follower via LF. I hope you can stop by My Road to Savings!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Found you through the Linky Follower blog hop... I'm your newest follower!

Michelle said...

I am now following you on Linky.I would love it if you followed me back. I really enjoy meeting new Bloggers.

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Sue!
I have to agree about the 3 day makeovers. I always think they must fall apart within 6 months. I just post about how I don't like these so called 'experts' advising us on how to decorate...

Now about the ironing... People must think my husband is a bachelor or maybe even homeless. But I swear that 5 minutes into his day he looks the same either way. (Which Peanuts character is the one that has the dust flying all around him?)

xoxo Bunny Jean

Jennifer said...

Just stopping by from the Linky Party Hop. I hope you will visit www.laughterandgrace.com and follow back.

Thanks!!

Tanya@takesix said...

Following you via LF blog hop. Hope to see you at Take Six. :)

Pieced Pastimes said...

Found you via the Linky hop and have become your newest follower. Looking forward to reading your future posts. Hope you have a chance to visit and perhpas follow me back.

Serendipity and Spice said...

I found you on the blog hop, I'm your newest LF follower- would love it if you followed me too!
-Melissa
www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

Shasta @ intheoldroad said...

I'm a new follower from the Linky Follower Blog Hop. I'd love it if you would visit my blog at intheoldroad.blogspot.com.

Shasta

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

I think ironing is the worst household "chore" there is, but I do feel the same way about Hubby's shirts. I like to do them in batches like you did. Now, if I can just get them to stop popping back up...

Newly following from the Linky hop. Love to have you stop by and say hello!
http://goaheadtakeabite.blogspot.com/

momto8 said...

I know I am the only one of my friends still ironing shirts..but I like to iron! It is like instant gratification!
Plus it is really not worth all the time going to the cleaners and paying the $ to get rid of wrinkles!
I am your newest follows..pls follow back if you can.

Kelly said...

Following from the LF hop, hope you'll stop by :)
Happy Valentine's Day!
~Kelly
http://www.savvysuburban.com/

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

Hi,
I am happy to be your newest follower from the Linky followers blog hop. If you'd like to follow back you can find me at http://www.measuredbytheheart.com
Thanks!!

Predictable Me said...

New follower from LF Party hop. Love it if you could visit me at http://grandmasamazingjourney.blogspot.com

Robin said...

Hey Sue! I'm linking up. Come on over and see me. I'm having a giveaway that you can enter into if you'd like.

robin :-)

http://robinsnestquilting.blogspot.com

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

The "professionals" leave the dang doors on the cabinets when they re-paint. Can you imagine? I'm always astonished at the crummy work they do........and sometimes the decorating? YIKES. They just showed a family room on one of those shows. The "designer" said "you need very little wall decor"......so she had a wall about 20 feet long with four 3 x 5 INCH pictures. Good gravy....

xoxoxoxo

S

PS......I find myself a nice show to watch while I iron too. I was wondering, the other day, how many men's shirts I have ironed over the years and THREE husbands. :-)

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Found you through the new linky followers blog hop. I'm so happy to be your newest follower, it would be great if you follow me back. :)

And, on Friday I'll be hosting a "What does your blog want to be when it grows up" blog hop with a few of my blog buddies ... have you thought of your blog's hopes and dreams?

Please check it out here...http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/when-im-five/

Karah
thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com