Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

♥♥♥ Hearts and Flowers ❀ ✿ ❁

I don’t often style a special table- but I did have the makings for a Valentine’s Day table, so I started working on it last week after I finished the dreaded ironing chore. I started out with a striped heart that I purchased last month from my friend, Debbie, who owns The Peddler House in Waynesville, Ohio.  It was a Christmas ornament, but I knew it would be perfect for Cupid’s Day!

 

valentine heart

 

 

 

 

wire basket

I simply hung it from the handle of a French inspired wire basket that is one in a trio of baskets whose home is usually on top of my kitchen island. It’s filled with a silver baby cup, a  decorated glass bottle, and a small pot of ivy.

 

 

decorative bottle

 

 

 

 

striped heart2

 

 

cupids and bird

A ceramic bird and some some angelic cupids, all from The Dollar Tree,  share the table with some red and white rosebuds.

 

 

cupid on books

I used some old books tied up in waxed twine to lift one of the cupids. Can you tell that he is blowing a kiss?

 

 

twine tied books

 

 

 

books and roses

This is another view of the books and the cupids.

 

 

cupid and roses b&w

A second cupid sits on the white linen square and is surrounded by both white and red roses.

 

 

 rose

Do you have any idea what the rose is made from?

 

 

soap rose

Take a closer look……..      All right, I’ll just tell you…..  It’s a soap rose!   Can you guess where it came from?   The Dollar Tree!

 

 

glass heart and roses

Here’s a white rose as the background to a small glass heart.

 

 

books birds and roses

 

 

 

 

candle in silver

I an enamored with silver pieces and I often favor the tarnished look over a glistening shine. This small candy dish made the perfect candle holder for this red pillar.

 

 

crazed tureen

My favorite crazed tureen filled out some empty space on the table.

 

 

place setting 2

The table is set for the husband and myself. I used a square stoneware plate as a charger. It was purchased from Olde Time Pottery before our local store closed.I sure miss not having one anymore- ours was only a 10 minute drive away- now I have to drive an hour and a half to Columbus if I want to shop at one.

The white plate is from a set of Gibson dinnerware. I have 36 place settings & I use them when I host large parties. The clear acrylic flatware is from Target, as are the red and white contemporary salad plates. The plates were on clearance for 88¢, while I paid $2 apiece for the bowls.  So, as you can see, the place settings are definitely frugal. They’re simple and perfect for a nice lunch for the husband and myself. I’m going to leave the table set up until Valentine’s Day and we can just used the other side of the table when we sit down for our other meals until then.

I will confess that we often eat in front of the television in the sunroom. We are children of the 60’s and very addicted to television! Plus, I have found so many shows to DVR and watch when we do have free time to spend together.

 

 

table 2

 

 

 

 

 

 

blue hour3

The sun was just starting to go down when I took this first shot of the blue hour.

 

 

blue hour1

The blue hour is progressing…..

 

 

blue hour2

Romantic candlelight as the sun drops into the night.

                                                                                               *************************

Last night, the husband and I were talking about the first box of candy he gave me for Valentine’s Day when we were dating in college. He said that I hung onto that heart shaped box for a while. Now how does he remember that?  I have no recollection of it, at all. The only thing I can remember is that in that small college town, you had to buy boxes of candy in the drug store and cologne in the jewelry store!  Must have been some special stuff back in the “olden” days.  *grin*   Everything is so much more readily available these days. Although, the box of  milk chocolate turtles that I’m hoping the husband will give me on Cupid’s Day has to be purchased at the Esther Price Candy Store. It’s nothing short of decadent and oh so good.  Maybe someone reading this post will give him a little nudge……

 

Linking to:

2805     charm of home     stuff and nonsense     french country cottage   Seasonal Sunday - the tablescaper    Table Top Tuesday

 

 

vtine cakes info pg       vintage inspiration button     inspiration friday button       sharethelovebutton    

 



 Please visit these blogs and the party participants.  Several blogging friends and I were chatting the other day and we related that we have seen less commenting going on in blogland lately! I know we’re all busy, but won’t you please make a little effort to leave these girls some comment love?  And maybe some for me, too.    *smile*

Thanks.

 

          *****    And here is a reminder for those of you who are using the new Linky Follower Gadget. *****

                 In order to keep your newest blog post current within the LF system, you have to update it when you’re signed into your Linky Followers dashboard. Go to the “Click Here” link in the “Last Posted Date” box and type your information into the boxes.You’ll be entering the name of your most current blog post and the date it posted.

                                                                                                   Easy Peasy!

linky capture

49 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Your table is so cute, Sue! I can't believe all the things you found at the Dollar Tree! I really love the rose shaped soap! Awesome! Your dishes are really darling, too. I'd love to have a set of white dishes just for big get togethers.

My hubs sometimes takes his plate in the living room to watch something special...it drives me nuts, but then again, I eat lunch standing at the counter! lol!

I hope you get a lot of comments. It's a shame that we join parties and then don't visit. That's defeating the purpose. If I don't have blogging time, I don't join a party.

Any snow over there yet?

XO,
Jane

PS...I have my new furniture in my new post!!

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Oh, I love your cute table and all your little Valentine pretties! Soap roses? They're so pretty and the little cupids - adorable!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Debbiedoo's said...

Sue your table is stunning. Your pictures are so virtual I feel like I am sitting there!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, what great images of your table! The accents are great! I love Dollar Tree for things like this! So pretty!

Jill Elaine said...

Very cute! I like the roses - very neat way to use them:)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty little setting! Nice place for a meal, or just a cup of coffee and good conversation. DT had a lot of cute valentine decor, but I reminded myself that I am on a mission to remove - not add. :D
I miss the OTP here also, a lot of people do, but it was in a neighborhood that is sliding fast, so it was only a matter of time. :(
Enjoy your evening.

Sherry said...

Such a pretty Valentines setting...and to think you got some of the decor from the dollar tree! Love it. I'm following you via linky!

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, I was utterly convinced that the soap roses made of sugar. They are very sweet and so is the entire table. I normally join one and no more than two meme's per post so I can comment but notice few commenting in these parties. I do have a loyal group of followers, including you, who visit with me regularly and I am so thankful for them and do grateful for their friendship. xoxo, olive

Deserae said...

Very pretty table! Love those little rose soaps...and from the Dollar Tree too? Happy Valentine's Day...hope you get those special chocolates :o)
~Des

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Those cupids came from the dollar store?? That's pretty good! I love your table, and we have one more thing in common, Sue. I am usually eating dinner in the sunroom watching TV. Usually something I have DVR'd. When hubby is home for dinner, I make an effort to set the table nice so we can eat there and talk.

P.S. Did you call me today? I saw your number on the "missed calls" tonight, but when I hit the button for the message it just said "no messages". I know you usually leave me a message so I just wondered.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love the romantic vignette for the centerpiece you created. Enjoy a romantic dinner.

Barbara F. said...

This is lovely Sue, can't beat the DT. I hope you get your chocolates. xo

Jemsmom said...

Your table is beautiful! I love the candle in the silver candy dish. I have Tom's grandmother's and grandfather's silver candy dish from their 60th wedding anniversary. It is horribly tarnished, but I may have to pull it out, polish it up a bit and put a candle in it! That is pretty! I can't believe those are soap!! Looks beautiful and you can bathe with it!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Sue your table looks wonderful and your pictures are beautiful!! Just followed you on Linky:)

Kathleen said...

What a sweet table. Love those soap roses. Handy to have in case someone cusses. We always were threatened with getting our mouth washed out with soap, for saying darn it! They are so pretty, maybe they wouldn't be so bad!
Happy ♥ day to you and the mr.!

Alicia said...

And to think it all started with a striped heart! It's gorgeous. I gotta get myself to Dollar Tree!

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Sue. I love those glass hearts, and I thought the roses were made of fondant...oh, well. :) Very pretty table--I hope you enjoy the dinner you'll have on it!

Gail said...

Beautiful tablesetting Sue! Gotta love the Dollar Tree!! Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we eat dinner in front of the TV too;)
Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Gail

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Love your table Sue! The Dollar Store?? You clever girl... there's some really good stuff there isn't there? Hey if Design Star can send their contestants to the Dollar Store to get what they need to decorate a room, surely we can! We've been dollaring longer and better.
Have a great weekend Sue! Love to you friend, Sherry

Rettabug said...

Sue, all your decorations are just lovely...why can't I ever find stuff like those angelic cupids at The Dollar Tree? Darling!

I thought the roses were made of fondant, too! They looked just like icing.

Have a wonderfully happy lover's day,
Hugs,
Rett

Divina Chita Brasil said...

I loved the cupids!

ReFresh ReStyle said...

Sue, how romantic! I think I caught Cupids kiss :) I hope someone nudges your husband, even more I would hope that I get some too, they sounds delicious! Soap~no way! I've got to have some. Have a great weekend!
Debbie

Lori E said...

I though the roses were made from icing. Someone might be getting their mouth washed out with soap by accident this Valentines Day.
What a pretty table.

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Sue!

I enjoyed my visit with you this morning. Listened to the music and took my time.

You are so right about the comments. I noticed that months ago at my party. I even complained a bit and lost a few followers. The blogging without obligation movement is strong...

I think that so many bloggers are joining a LONG list of parties each week. They want to be seen, but maybe not really connect?? Anyway, who can read ALL the links when there are 300 of them?! No wonder they don't comment, even if they do visit.

Lately I have been slacking too. Thinking that if they didn't connect with me then I would not extend myself either. On that note, I think I ended up neglecting some of my favorite blogs. Seems I just can't get organized enough, or prioritize. Really thinking about cancelling my Bunny Hop...

But for now I am just trying to get back into a routine, and enjoying the blogs I really want to read.

xoxo Bunny Jean

Debbie said...

I love the shots with the blue hour the very best! I'm a blue hour freak. This is all just lovely. I really want to head to the DT to look for soap roses. That's really pretty!

Jo said...

What a pretty tablescape....question is whats for dinner??

The Tablescaper said...

Love how you displayed all of those little cupids. I have quite a few of those myself, but enjoyed how you displayed them.

I don't think you realized it as I never heard from you but you won my giveaway from a few weeks back. Email me so we can get it sorted out.

- The Tablescaper

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Lovely tablescape! Friends through LINKY!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, I LOVE that wire basket, and it makes a great centerpiece. Love the Paris label on the bottle. When I first saw those roses, I stopped and studied them, trying to figure out what they were. I was so glad when you finally told us. What an amazingly lovely table on an amazingly low budget! Thanks so much for linking it to the party. laurie

classic • casual • home said...

Such a pretty and festive table...makes me want to do something, too. Happy Valentines Day!

Jo's This and That said...

Love your table so pretty! Joann

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Sue, thank you for visiting my post and leaving the lovely comment. Your photos of the "blue hour" are amazing. Very romantic.

Enjoyed your ironing post. I also iron in front of the TV to keep myself entertained while completing that task.

Happy Hearts Day! Debra

Beverly said...

It's looks perfect, Sue. And, your photos are lovely.

Happy Valentine's Day.♥

Jessa Irene said...

Oh this is lovely, such warmth, very pretty. Thank you for joining the Valentines Party. I am pinning and tweeting this lovely table.

Honey at 2805 said...

Your tablescape is lovely, Sue! You captured some beautiful "blue hour"images too! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

Lizabeth @ Infuse With Liz said...

Very sweet and cute table! Love the cupids and the roses. Your pictures are done wonderfully! The blue hour photos are lovely. Great job!

Betsy said...

What a beautiful Valentine's Day table. I love all your precious treasures and those soap roses are amazing. Hope you enjoy your dinner and yummy milk chocolate turtles.

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

Hi Sue,

I love your tablescape.

Happy Valentine's Day!

xo,
Dee

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Don'tchajustlove that Dollar Tree.... My daughter and I went to four or five on a quest to stock up on the little dancing flowers. I know........freaky, but they make me smile and I'm crazy about them. I have one on the dash of my car. SUPER NERD. :-) And, people ask me about it all the time. Soon I'll be out there with my glue gun adding some pom-poms. Uh oh....

Happy Valentine's Day!

xoxoxoxo
S

Tanya@takesix said...

Your table is great!! I hear you about eating in front of the tv. With us it is front of the laptop!! Thanks so much for visiting Take Six! :)

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Beautiful table and such sweet Valentines photos too!! Yes, the commenting /visiting issue.... I do my best to visit as many party participants as I can without causing my family to send reinforcements to find out where I am because they haven't seen me in days! lol! Thanks for linking up at FNF :)

Scribbler said...

What a neat post! I think this is the most original table I have seen yet this week. Hope ya'll have a lovely dinner.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I just love this. The heart and books are perfect. I have to admit that I am way behind on my commenting. I have an inbox full of emails yet to be returned and many blogs to visit. Sometimes I have to choose whether to write a post or comment. There are only so many hours in the day. I think on the whole we do the best we can. Hope your Valentine's Day was wonderful!

Pam said...

I got those same soap roses at the Dollar Tree. Gotta love that place. Your table looks beautiful. Hope you got your turtles. Love those things! I finally signed up for the Linky thing, BTW. I couldn't hold out any longer.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Hi, Sue! What a lovely table. Loved the shots near the end with the candle and dusk outside. So pretty. Thanks for the tips on Linky. I'm still learning my way around!

xinex said...

Very pretty, Sue! I love the soap roses scattered all over. Makes the table really romantic. Love your white covered tureen also. The plates are lovely...Christine

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

Hi Sue, you know you have one of the cutest photos in blogland? Anyway, your table looks so pretty, what a great idea to hang the heart from a handle. I really like how you captured the setting in different lights. Blessings to you!

very merry vintage style said...

Pretty table! Can't believe the roses are from the dollar store! Thanks for linking up to the Share the Love Wednesday link party at Very Merry Vintage Style!
Mary

arrielle_p said...

I absolutely love that table. Like that heart. :)

makati condominiums