Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Ice, Ice, Baby….

 

It was bitter cold today, as a result of an ice storm we had overnight. While surrounding areas got dumped on with snow, we only had a light dusting here in the southern suburbs of town. Early this morning, even though it was still quite dark, I could see that there was a thick ice layer on the driveway, street, and sidewalk. After daylight made its appearance and I saw the icy glimmer on the trees and bushes, I was inspired to put together this winter tabletop for the dining room. It is a very simple and frugal vignette~  I had everything on hand except for the newly purchased glass icicles, which were only $3 apiece.

 

 

apothecary jar

I filled an ordinary apothecary jar with a batch of my faux snow, added in a few pinecones from the tree out in the front yard, then carefully laid in the icicles. I centered the jar in the middle of one of the boxwood wreaths that hung from the banister during the holidays. The greenery added just the right touch of color to the wood tones of the table and the pinecones.

 

 

 

 

.

icicles and snow 2

I placed some of the faux snow inside the petals of the pine cones, just like we’d see them if they were laying on the ground.

 

 

 

 

 

 

icicle 2

The glass icicles glisten, just as the created snow does. Doesn’t it look real?

 

 

 

 

pinecones and icicles 2

.

 

 

 

 

snow filled jar 2

I laid the jar lid off to the side because the jar was starting to fog up. The faux snow is very saturated and the condensation kept building up. The one advantage to having the jar covered is that the snow won’t dry up quite as fast.  It should last several weeks without adding any more water to it.

 

 

 

 

 

iceball candleholder 2

Even the candle holder off to the side of the wreath is ice inspired. These ice balls are the perfect size for tea light candles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

winter ice collage

 

 

I signed on to Picnik to create a collage with my photos this afternoon, but I discovered that I couldn’t use the collage feature. update on 1/22:  There must have been some sort of a glitch, because I tried it again about midnight and that option showed up!  So I put together a simple slide show instead, using some of the photos from the collage above, which was created in Photoscape.

I had heard rumors that Picnik was not going to be around much longer and I received an e-mail this morning that it will be gone as of the middle of April. I’ll miss its features, but I think it is generous of the company to be refunding us premium members our entire yearly membership fees. There really are some “good guys” out there!

                                                                                *****************************

 

 

To see this show in full screen, click on the link, “Winter Ice Picnik Show,” at the bottom left of the slideshow. Mouse over the bottom of the screen, there is  a slide bar where you can pause the photos. For some reason, they seem clearer than the ones I’ve posted above. 

 

                                                                                             ********************************

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                   thank you    

                                                                                                                                                                                                 

 

 

 

Sharing this post with:

        Seasonal Sunday - the tablescaper   metamorphis mon.    little red house        Table Top Tuesday       wow us wed.     ivy and elephants     

                   thursday-favorites            sherry    2805        charm of home       french country cottage     stuff and nonsense  

  thrifty things friday      inspiration friday button     5d5wfreeforall

49 comments:

Jo said...

Very pretty! This crunchy snow/ice has thrown poor Iz in a tizzy. She can not figure it out, she tried biting it, rubbing it, scratching it finally gave up and came in. Just heard tomorrow will be in the 40's what a crazy winter this has been!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautiful Sue!!

Barbara F. said...

So beautiful, Sue. I love the slideshow.

Jemsmom said...

That is absolutely a stunning vignette! I love the green with the white and crystal! So pretty! It was nice and warm here today. I think it only got to about 69 though! Hee hee hee! I am upset about Picknik! What is up with that?

Barbara F. said...

I am glad I went back and enlarged it, the snow looks real. xo

The Tablescaper said...

Wonderful vignette! It made me shiver!!! Lovely to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Blondie's Journal said...

Very pretty, Sue...it fits this time of year perfectly! I love the icicles! The slide show is very cool, too!

I heard about Picnik...I had never used it, but now I am sad it's gone since I recently upgraded my camera and wanted to fool around a bit. Aw...too sad.

XO,
Jane

Rettabug said...

I can see you've been having some Winter fun...indoors! I have that same ice ball candle holder. Must get that out & use it.
What did you use for your faux snow?? Looks really pretty, whatever it is.

It was 18º outside when we left a restaurant last night. Brrrrrr!!!!
Hurry up, Spring!

Warm Hugs,
Rett

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your vignette looks beautiful Sue! Luckily we had more snow than ice:@)

Olive Cooper said...

It is icy and ever so pretty Sue. I am not happy about losing Picnik and searching for another program.

Custom Comforts said...

So very pretty Sue. We didn't get too much ice so the roads weren't bad and the trees not ice covered. Even though the ice is treacherous, it is always so very pretty.
Every time I go to Scott's I think of you. They had some very pretty individual blue transferware plates there that were just stunning. I think blue has the best assortment of patterns and are by far the prettiest, but I refuse to start another color collection. There was one lady there in particular, who had pretty plates and very reasonable prices.
Take care and stay warm.
Cindy

Snap said...

Your winter ice table scape is lovely. Sorry to hear the news about Picnik. Stay warm!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Glad to see you are embracing the ice, Sue! : ) Down my way it was just on the ground; I stayed in all day and was lazy. This looks great! Your faux snow is fantastic and I love the ice ball candleholders. Those icicles really finished off this vignette nicely. I'm glad you saw those, because they were the only ones she had in the shop!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty Winter vignette. The ice and snow does look real. I had read Picnik was shutting down - I never used them.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

xinex said...

I love the icycles very much, Sue. You created a beautiful icy vignette....Christine

Balisha said...

I use Picnik too. I'm sad to see them go. Your pictures are lovely...love that green and white and crystal look. Balisha

Jill Elaine said...

That is really beautiful:)
You make your snow? It looks like homemade snow a lady who lived close to me used to make and sell.
she doesn't have her christmas shop anymore so i don't buy her snow. you didn't live in covington once did you??! LOL
i agree it is very generous of picnik to refund us our money. i liked picnik for some stuff. really liking photoscape too though. happy sunday!

Pat said...

Sue your ice table is fabulous! I saw glass icicles before Christmas but they were lots more than $3. I love how you used them in your tablescape!

Lori E said...

Brrrrr that looks cold. I wish that we could put the real snow only where we want it just like that. None on the roads or sidewalks.
I heard that about Picnik too. Gotta get on there and get my photos moved before it is too late.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

That is a very pretty vignette. Icy roads scare me but nice icy displays inside...perfection. I will miss Picnik also! hugs, Linda

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

Susan from Between Naps on the Porch just posted that Picnik is shutting down, perhaps that is the problem you were having with it.

Lovely post, just beautiful.

Babs said...

Sue, Your apothecary jar snow scene is very peaceful and pretty, and the slide show is especially nice. I'm sorry you had an ice storm. That always scares me, because here in GA we get ice storms in January and lose power, sometimes for a day or so. Hope that doesn't happen to you. So far we've been lucky this year and have mild temps and tornado watches.. oh joy!
Have a great Sunday and stay safe,
Babs

shirley said...

Lovely tablescape - the faux snow really looks real!

Lorrie said...

What a pretty vignette. It's fun to play with things we already have.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful vignette and lovely photos. I will miss picnik too. Have a wonderful week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful vignette and lovely photos. I will miss picnik too. Have a wonderful week ahead.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Gorgeous! Love that centerpiece. We had a mix of ice and snow and now it is more like snow and slush.

ann said...

I love your winter center piece, and I really like the the effects from Pinick. I've never used it. Too bad that it is going out of business.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Very pretty, Sue! It's nice to hear about the inspiration behind your creation. Too bad about Picnik...I got an email about it. I mostly use Picasa, but Picnik had some cool features. Thanks fo sharing. ~Zuni

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

I love your slideshow! So bummed that picnik is closing!! Your icy cloche looks so pretty!!

Judy @ In His Grip said...

These icy decorations are awesome. What a great new way to look at clear glass. Love it. Thanks for stopping by with your comment love.

Judy@In His Grip

Abbie said...

What a perfect (beautiful!) winter vignette, Sue!

Love the icicles!

I would absolutely love it if you would link this up at my
FREE-FOR-ALL linky party going on right now!

http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/01/feature-friday-free-for-all-3-50.html

So looking forward to seeing you there!

P.S. I'm a new follower. : )

P.P.S. (: )) Every link counts as an entry into my Cutting Edge ($50) stencil giveaway!

~Abbie

laxsupermom said...

So pretty! Love your wintery tablescape! Thanks for sharing.

My Little Home and Garden said...

I like your wintry centerpiece in all of its "frostiness". There is still some snow here but the rain is now falling.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Such a beautiful winter vignette and great slidehow.

Blessings,
Linda

Leslie's Garden said...

Love the combination of snow, ice and pinecones! A real homey feel!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

It's beautiful Sue. Love the slide show.

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Sue~ It's always nice stopping by for a visit.
I enjoy your posts and the eye candy you so generously share. You've given me an appreciation for the beauty winter provides despite it's chill.
I use Photoscape for editing and had no idea you can create collages. Could you point out where I'd find that option?

I hope you can stop by to see the Valentine surprises I've got in store. This week starting with...Pain au Chocolat. I'll put the kettle on for a nice cup of tea.
Sweet wishes,
Sara

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

I love the slideshow.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Sanghamitra.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh such a lovely tablescape. Love the slide show. Unreal. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

ImSoVintage said...

What a pretty winter vignette. I am mourning picnik, but I am on the hunt for a new love. Happy to be a new follower from Wow us Wednesdays.
Laura
http://imsovintage.blogspot.com/

Patrice said...

You have such an eye for pretty things. I wait patiently for my renovations to be finished so I can pretty-up my surroundings!

Lori said...

How have I missed your site until now? I love your blog, and your pics are spectacular! I'm still using my phone, until I can get my camera fixed. I'm a new follower so I can keep up with you...stop by anytime, Lori

Katherines Corner said...

this is a brilliant, beautiful and so creative idea , love it!Hugs! Thank you for your bloggy friendship and participation at Katherines Corner xo

Diann said...

Your little vignette turned out beautiful Sue. And so perfect for this time of the year. The simplicity of it makes it lovely! Thank you for joining TTF and have a wonderful weekend!

Polly said...

that snow looks so real, it's amazing! gorgeous!

Honey at 2805 said...

The vignette and post are beautiful! Thank you for sharing the lovely post at Potpourri Friday!

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

that's so pretty Sue! I did my front porch in a snow/ice Nordic style theme for the winter months after Christmas and it's been in the 50/60/70's ever since here. Spring in the yard and winter on the front porch. LOL

Ivy and Elephants said...

What a gorgeous tablescape! The ice looks so real, you've styled it perfectly. Thanks for sharing with us at WIW. We love partying with you.
See you next week!
Hugs,
Patti