Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

I Think I Have Too Much “Stuff!”

 

 

Oh my gosh, with all of the purging I’ve done after putting away 40 boxes of Christmas decorations, I have come to the conclusion that I have collected way too much stuff in my house!

Multiple the number of boxes in the picture below by 6 and you’ll have an idea of how much I’ve boxed up so far.  So do you believe me now when I say I have waaay too much stuff? 

 

   

                                           boxes

 

I’ve been working on one room at a time on the first floor of the house- getting rid of things that I just don’t think I want to keep anymore. Stuff like those glass platters, candlesticks, and bowls that I just had to have when I saw them at yard and estate sales. Sure, I’ve used them a few times (some of them, anyway), but how many can a girl have? Two, three, five?!  And how about all of those silver platters and bowls?  Or the ceramic soup tureens and little tschotskies  that I just knew would add so much character to my tabletop vignettes?  Not to mention all of those lamps that need to be re-painted and have new shades added to them.  I don’t even want to go into how many pieces of furniture are piled high in the garage storage room waiting for some ASCP.

Enough is enough, Sue! 

I either have to have one heckuva yard sale come the first signs of good weather (but spring is a long time coming to Ohio) or I need to find me a place to sell off my overflow in a consignment shop. The trouble with that is that Dayton, Ohio is NOT known for having great places to do that. Oh sure, there are places that claim to be “antique malls,” but they are really flea markets that sell junk! You know the kind- Grampa’s old tools and Granny’s beat-up pots and pans.  I don’t want to be in that type of environment! I’ve seen all these wonderful looking places where other bloggers sell their wares- these places have character and the booths are set up so nicely. But those types of stores are definitely not in my neck of the woods!

I also don’t want to pay a rental fee plus a high commission to the store owner. I’d like to be able to pay rent and work some hours in the shop. I only know of one such place like that, but it currently doesn’t have any openings.

So, for the meantime, while I’m on this cleaning frenzy, I’ll continue to purge and box everything up and pile it all up in the spare bedrooms. I just better hope that no one calls and wants to come visit us.  Maybe I should start checking the Yellow Pages for some close hotels, just in case!         

                                                                                                                                                                                                        

30 comments:

Jo said...

That is what I'm gearing up to do is purge a lot of my stuff. We are painting my craft room and I'm going to clean out that as well. Have you checked in Cincy abt a booth? Pam from Frippery has her things at one. How abt storing it until the Springfield show?

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

My guest room is piled HIGH with boxes to take to GW tomorrow. And I am not done yet....I probably will have that much again. I feel your pain!!

Barbara F. said...

Judging from what I see when I visit your blog, wherever your unwanted items end up, there will be some lucky folks on the receiving end! xo

Olive Cooper said...

I think you are amazing for having boxed all the Christmas items. Mine are still up but I am slightly distracted by taking CC to college and will get sorted out soon...I hope.

Susan said...

I think a lot of people in blog land are beginning to purge. For me I just feel the need to make my life more simple.
I really am rethinking every thing I find at Yard Sales. And I am taking one drawer and closet at a time and de junking.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I just got all mine done, Sue! I purged before we moved and again once all the Christmas stuff came out. I have about 8 good sized totes now, which still felt like 100 as I went up and down the attic stairs!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I to have collected too much stuff! I am in the process of deciding what to give back to the thrifts, what to try and sell and what to keep and use! It's a process and I'm OK with that. I too am really being more careful about what I now buy! Good luck with deciding what to do with all your stuff! Hugs, Linda

Blondie's Journal said...

I know how you feel, Sue. We are in the process of downsizing the stuff in our closets so we have piles of bags to go to donation drop offs. I also have corners of every room piled high with boxes and bags I thought I needed for Christmas. Wow...there are a lot of trees there!!

Best wishes on your big job!

XO,
Jane

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I know how you feel. My guest room has stacks of boxes and shopping bags, closet stuffed full, and stashes in other corners of the house.
Waiting to hear if someone decides to have a yard sale this Spring, and if not, it will be donated.
Laughed at what you said about hope no one wants to come visit. I recently got one of those calls - if they do come, they will just have to sleep among the boxes.:-D

Debby said...

40 boxes of Christmas is alot of stuff. Maybe by posting this someone will know of a place that you can sell your things. A big Spring sale would be fun as well. You have so much energy.

Carmella said...

I know exactly how you feel! Something that helps me is a group started by some great gals in my area. They call it girl friends trading post on facebook and all the members can post pics of items that they would like to sell or trade in some cases...we meet in very public open places like target parking lot...it's been a great way to get rid of things and make new friends! Maybe you could start a group like this in your area too!

Mourning Dove Farm said...

I could have written your post, word for word. I am wondering the same thing. I thought of a booth in Tipp but then I thought it might be best to just have one heck of a yard sale--might have to sell it cheaper but it would be fast and no rent space.

NanaDiana said...

Sue- That is what I want to do this year, too. I just finished most of my Christmas put-away today and am anxious to get on with the purging process. We don't really have any of those places here either. There was one but it collapsed under the weight of snow last year and it doesn't look like she is going to reopen...so I don't know WHAT I will do with the stuff. Good luck with your project- xo Diana

ohiofarmgirl said...

Wow, too bad we don't live closer together..we could swap..hahs but then we would still have too much stuff, right? I know I need to start the same thing but instead I am thinking of doing a make-over so if you have any ideas let me know! Dianntha

Mary Ellen said...

Sue at least you have your decor down and are doing something constructive! I am still working on getting Christmas down while being sick with some sort of bug-the going is SLOW and messy!

Getting rid of things is on my list too! What about listing some of the things on Craigs List?

Joan said...

I feel your pain! Decluttering is a priority for 2012!

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Sue,
I hope your year is starting out great!
I just boxed up things, threw out and organized. I can't have things in the bedrooms. We have too much company. lol
I'm with you...how much do we really need?? I've simplified some rooms and will be going through more later in the month.
I have company from NY coming Wed.
See, what I mean!
Hugs!

ann said...

I think we are all over stuffed. You are brave to pack up things. Have you thought about ebay?

Theresa said...

You go girl!!! You've been busy. I need to be doing the same thing. I replied back to you awhile ago and I don't think it sent or did you get it. Anyway my gmail looks like it's down because there's nothing there. No inbox or ANYTHING!!!

Blessings,
Theresa

middle child said...

I need to find someone that would box up all the stuff I need to get rid of. Then have them do a garage sale for me and they can keep half of the profits.
Otherwise it is way too ovewhelming.

Balisha said...

I did that a few years ago, when my first husband had passed away and I decided to remarry. Both Joe and I had households of "stuff." Accumulations of 47 yrs each. I first packed up what I wanted to keep, then left for the day...while my kids came with u hauls to take whatever they wanted. Then when all the favorites were gone...I had an open house sale. Joe did much the same with his. Now we are left with only the things that we both love. I see my things at my kids houses and can see how much they enjoy having them.
I think that maybe blogging has something to do with wanting more. We see pictures of other homes and see things that take our eye...then we want to go out and buy them....Good project for the new year, Sue...
Balisha

Jemsmom said...

I am in a purging mood too! 40 bins!!!! Wow!!! And I thought I had a few too many Christmas bins! Hee hee hee! Have you thought about Craig's list or ebay? That might be an option to start moving some things out. Good luck! I am off to work on our room and the short person's room today!!!

Becca said...

Purging is good ... so refreshing when you can "breathe" after it's done! Great job and good luck!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Sue, I took a trunk load full to GW last week and now I have another load going tomorrow. best of luck with your purging.
xo,
Sherry

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! I purged a couple of years ago but feel I need to do it again! I just keep bringing in stuff! ;)
Thanks for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pam said...

I'm on a purging kick also. There's a point where keeping stuff is on the verge of hoarding stuff and I think I was getting close to crossing over - lol. I think you should look into Pam/Frippery's place too. It's in Fairfield I think - sort of Northwest of Cinci. Might not be too bad of a drive once a week. Or maybe Polly would know of a place out that way.

Babs said...

I purged two years ago. I had a yard sale and everything that didn't sell (a whole pick up truck full) went to the local church charity shop. Then I started my blog and had so little I could barely make a vignette. Now I'm trying to get Hubby to make storage shelves for me in the shed. It's a vicious circle. LOL
Babs

Katherines Corner said...

It's amazing isn't it. I feel the same way sometimes. I don't have yard sales. I just give it away and donate the rest. Hugs and happy purging. Hugs!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I get the urge to purge every January. Something about putting away all the Christmas stuff, I just want to keep going!

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Oh how I wish I could come and buy all of your "stuff" to put in my junk store! If you could move just a bit closer to me????