Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Domino Effect

 

 

Earlier this month, I posted a cloche vignette in the great room that used some light colored, over-sized dominoes. You can see that post here.  When I re-arranged the room after taking down the Christmas decoration, I cleaned the horribly dusty and fingerprint covered glass tabletop on the cocktail table. Now, that is a chore in itself, since the glass weighs about 40 pounds!  The glass top never got placed back onto the table base because I could never pin down the husband to help me lift it. Finally, last week, it got done. Of course, the table stayed bare while I was waiting for some inspiration. Yesterday, it came to me that I needed to use another set of dominoes to help set a theme.

cocktail table 01-12

 

 

 

 

domino filled hurricane

Wow, but the glass on this hurricane is cloudy! Nope, not dirty-  just inexpensive glass on a  hurricane from Target.   Anyway, I opened a box of black double dominoes costing a mere dollar from an estate sale and I use them as filler at the bottom of the hurricane. 

 

 

.

 

tray

Had to find something that wasn’t made out of glass so I used this beat up 50¢ tray.There are plans to paint it, but for now it will stay “used” looking. Then out from storage came one of the antlers, a miniature silver bowl filled with some shoe lasts, and a very tarnished urn.

 

 

double dominoes

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

shoe lasts

These child size shoe lasts are just so sweet.  I found them at McMaster and Storm’s fall sale where I met Jill. She sold me these lasts and an extra large wooden spindle from her booth.

 

 

shoe last close-up

 

 

 

 

 

 

urn

This very badly tarnished urn was another frugal find back in the fall. I believe it came from an estate sale. I attempted a clean-up job, but the finish is pretty well worn and it didn’t shine up very much. I’ll have to try again with another cleaner and then follow it up with a good polish.

 

 

 

 

 

glass & iron terrarium

The terrarium holds a layer of sheet moss, a fern that I am astonished is still alive, glass ice cubes, snowflake tree ornaments, and a white penguin. Is there such a thing as a white penguin? I’ve only seen the black and white ones in the zoo. 

 

 

 

ice cubes

Realistic looking glass ice cubes…

 

 

 

 

.

Penguin 2

Hello, Mr. Penguin!

 

 

 

.

snowflake

Christmas ornament snowflakes…

 

 

 

 

,

 

terrarium

                                                                                           

                                                                                          *****************

Well, the sun came out this morning, but it is so cold out and there’s a chill in the air because of the humidity. The Weather Channel says to expect some intermittent snow or rain showers throughout the day, but in Ohio, you never can rely on a forecast. Heck, I’ll be happy if it reaches 40º today!  Sure do wish I was someplace warm!

                                                                                         ****************           

Check out the new Linky Tools Follower sign-up on my sidebar. It’s a great alternative to Google Friend Connect, which is going away for non-Blogger platform blogs as of March 1.   You can read more about it if you go to my latest post on it. 

Linking this post to:

metamorphis mon.     nifty thrifty tuesdays     Table Top Tuesday     tuesday's treasures uncommon slice of suburbia   Screen Shot 2012-01-30 at 10.49.22 AM      wow us wed.   its overflowing  centerpiece      open house thursday   treasure hunt thursday    2805     charm of home   

 french country cottage     Inspiration Friday Graphic one project link party      jennifer

                         

 

52 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Very pretty vignette Sue! Love the terrarium and that silver urn. I like the urn as is.

Andrea said...

so pretty! I love the urn, and the terrarium. I have a terrarium that I was unsure of how to decorate....thanks for the ideas!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love your vignette. Anything with antlers is good for me. Those are some big antlers.

Jill Elaine said...

I wish I were somewhere warmer too!
At least there is some fun decor for you to look at! LOVE those antlers:) and those shoe lasts - are they not darling too? I love mine:)

Jemsmom said...

I think baby penguins are grayish white so he works!! I love the snowflakes and the ice cubes. You always have such a unique twist that is unexpected and perfect! That baby shoe last is so sweet!

NanaDiana said...

It looks so nice, Sue. It is fun to see that you have still tied a bit of winter into the vignette. LOVE it! xo Diana

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Sue,
I love your new vignette! Everything looks great. It takes no time for those globes to look foggy. My hubby cleans them more than me. lol He hates looking at them after a while.
Clever using the dominoes that way!
Have a great week!

Pat said...

Wonderful vignette Sue. Love the dominoes effect.:-)

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, love the shoes form and dominoe pieces in this vignette. It is 62 degrees her and I just cut grass-wish you were here. hugs,olive

JunqueMagnet said...

You know we have to be grateful for sun in Ohio in January. This winter is so much better than last. We've been using wood chess pieces as jar filler around here the past couple of weeks!

Kathleen said...

Pretty vignettes, Sue, love the dominoes.
See you are hanging out with the ex LI er, lol!
40 isn't bad, remember last year? I am very happy with 40!

Lorrie said...

Love the way you've used dominoes. And your terrarium is fun - those ice cubes look so real!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love how you repeated the dominoes, Sue! Such a pretty vignette. I love your terrarium! You'll laugh at my post for tomorrow. Great idea to put the sheet moss down on the base. Your fern looks great ~ I have plans to get a few small ones myself. I'll be hoping they don't die!

Jo said...

I love the domino idea! I've got some old ones sitting in a drawer I should pull out and put in a vase. Seems a shame to have them hidden. I hear we are going to get up to 57 I can't wait!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty vignette! The snowflakes and ice cubes are perfect for a Winter vignette. I think I gave the shoe lasts I had to my daughter.
Enjoy your evening.

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

I love the use of the dominoes. It's a really nice touch to your beautiful vignette.

Dee

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Love Love the dominoes! And that terrarium! I have an eye out for some dominoes and scrabble pieces...love those too!

Your vignette looks great :)

Lou Cinda

Pam said...

I love the dominoes! Great idea. I think tomorrow is going to be close to 60 degrees. Have to get out and enjoy it, because I can't believe this is going to last.

Pam @ Frippery said...

I love your wintery vignettes. I am not complaining about the weather though. It has been fairly mild compared to many Ohio winters! Stay warm, Pam

Miss Char said...

Great new look Sue, very earthy for winter. I'm going to have to be on the hunt for some dominos. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

It is a beautiful vignette, Sue! I can't complain about the weather in Virgina so far. My bulbs are even coming up. Hugs, Sherry

Debbiedoo's said...

Very pretty Sue. I am loving the child shoe forms, way too cute. I have never seen them that small!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Your vignettes is lovely! I love the dominoes! What a great idea! Lovely photos!

ann said...

i am quite amazed, Sue, how you take such simple things to make spectacular displays. Amazing.

Erin of Salvaged Whimsy said...

Love the domino idea!! I'm always looking for new vase filling ideas, and I love this! I've not seen a white penguin...maybe it's a baby - aren't they light gray?

Deserae said...

Beautiful table vignette....love the dominos! So pretty!
~Des

Style Sisters said...

oooh Love all your ideas!! The dominos at the bottom of the vase is fabulous!! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday on my blog this Wednesday and show off your all your ideas.

Karin

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh I love your vignette. I think a glass table is so hard to decorate and you always do such a great job. Love the touch of silver and the tray is perfect. Beautiful vignette. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How clever, Sue! I LOVE the urn! I have several pieces like that and they are Victorian quadrupleplate....over 100 years old. It may not polish up much, but I love mine, tarnish and all! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Beautiful Sue! I love all of the details - those dominoes are so cool. And your vignette on glass table top...and the terrarium. Awesome!
Thank you so much for linking up to the challenge!
Karah

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue
I love your glass top coffee table! The vignettes all look very pretty. I especially like the terrarium.

We almost hit a record temp of 60 degrees in Brooklyn today! This has been a mild wionter so far and I'm enjoying that.

Pamela said...

I love all your special touches but my favorites are the child shoe forms and the urn!

Sarah said...

Your vignettes are lovely. Looks like you are having a good time.

Revi said...

I love the vintage eclectic industrial sort of vibe I see on your post, so I'm a new follower!
-Revi

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

I love all the antique touches! Beautiful! XO, Aimee

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I loved it...I mean every single thing. Seems we are all pretty much doing the same thing. Fiddling with things, digging out our "stuff" and changing things. Winter is great for that.
Except..OUR Winter still has not arrived. Wind, a bit of rain and then 80 degree temps. In JANUARY!
Thank you for your understanding and comforting comment on my post!
It was so nice of you. I struggle to keep up I'm afraid. Age is probably a factor. As you can see by the time, I am trying hard to do some visiting of my blog friends. You calmed me and I thank you.
Love,
Mona

Gail said...

O'Sue what a beautiful vignette! I love the dominoes and those shoe forms are just darling!!! Thanks for the inspiration and have a wonderful day, Gail

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

How fun using the dominoes! It looks great Sue.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Lovely! Those teeny shoe lasts are so sweet!

Emily @ 52 Mantels said...

Okay, I'm officially on the hunt for dominoes! I need to hit up some estate sales!! I love the idea of using them as vase filler!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a sweet comment! I'm your newest follower!

Style Sisters said...

You know I love it all!! just fabulous ideas!! The dominoes are going to start a fad now!!'

Thanks for linking up to Centerpiece Wednesday!

Karin

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, this is such a pretty vignette! I always love the things you create!

Eclectically Vintage said...

A girl after my own heart - old silver, shoe forms, antlers ... I love this little vignette and am your newest follower.
Kelly

At The Picket Fence said...

Love it all! The dominoes as filler is sooo cute and the terrarium with ice cubes and Penguin..adorable! Great job refreshing your coffee table.

Heather

Babs said...

Your vignettes are great. Love the dominoes, the shoe forms and that darling white penguin in the terrarium. Too cute.

Ivy and Elephants said...

Your vignettes are simply gorgeous. The dominoes add such a fun element to the space. I would love it if you would share this wonderful post at our What's it Wednesday Linky Party. Hope you can join us.

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Lovely vignettes!

Thanks so much for linking to our Impossibilities challenge!

Linda
itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

Diann said...

Very pretty vignette. I love the terrarium. Thank you for joining TTF and have a fantastic weekend!

Honey at 2805 said...

A gorgeous vignette, Sue! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

You've done it again! Another creative use of dominoes. I would never have thought to put them in the bottom of a hurricane. (Have you tried pouring vinigar into your hurricane? Usually clears up cloudiness for me. I love the silver loving cup, and I wouldn't try to clean it up any more than it already is. Great vignette. laurie

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

I love it!! Thanks for linking up! Just checking, did you see my Lisa Leonard giveaway yet?


XO, Aimee

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Love those sweet little shoe molds! Great vignette!