Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Vintage Photo Christmas Vignette

 

 

siblings

I knew that I wanted to use my bulb tray as the centerpiece for this Christmas vignette in the great room. My thought was to us an old photograph of two children from the early 1900’s as my starting point. I imagined that these two young siblings came from a well-to-do family living in a brownstone house on a cobblestone street in the city.

 

siblings 

Just look at the sweet, innocent faces on these two children. I’m taking the young boy to be about five years old and his sister as being around two. Sailor collars were quite popular back in this era- you can see that both of their outfits feature that style.

 

3

Toys in that era were not fancy. A toy soldier, a ball, and some blocks were all that many children needed to fuel their imaginations.  Here, a wooden solder waves his arm at you. I’m imagining that these leather shoes were worn by the young girl before she got her high tops.  Hand-me-downs were not common in this family, so I believe the children’s mother is allowing this pair to go home with the children’s nurse, so that someone in her family can wear them.  The toy soldier is just one of many in the young boy’s army.

 

 

In addition to their stacking capabilities, these wooden blocks probably helped the children learn the alphabet.

 

 

books and dominoes

A set of dominoes could help the children with number recognition, too.  Do you think their parents thought of them as learning aids, in addition to being toys?  I’m guessing that the looking glasses were borrowed from father so that the children could spy out the playroom window onto the street below.

 

 

train

Every child in a well-to-do home must have had a train set to play with.  I would guess that these children had many happy times as they moved these Christmas bears along the tracks.

 

stocking

And they most certainly hung their Christmas stockings on the mantel in the parlor on Christmas Eve, in anticipation of Santa Claus filling them with goodies.  What child could possibly have been “naughty” at that age?  I’m sure their stockings were filled to the brim with toys and sweets on Christmas morning! 

 

                                                                                                  *************************

                       And what about you? Were you good this year?  I hope you have been and that Santa brings you what you’ve asked for!  

     

        Sending Merry Christmas Wishes to everyone! Enjoy the day with your families.

                                                                                                                                                                                            

  Linking to:

                           nifty thrifty tuesdays                          tuesday's treasures uncommon slice of suburbia               wow us wed.        Ivy and Elephants Banner2     

          open house thursday    thrifty things friday        charm of home             vintage inspiration button     Potpourri Party      FV

44 comments:

Susan said...

Merry Christmas!

Linda said...

Love the photos with the young boys.
Thanks for sharing your lovely vignette. Merry Christmas...

NanaDiana said...

Sue-What a beautiful post. I did not realize for years that children never smiled in those pictures because they had to sit so still without moving a muscle so the camera could do its "work". I love your whole display. It is just darling. Merry Christmas to you and your family- xo Diana

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, I love it. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Merry Christmas, Sue! That is a charming backstory you came up with for those cuties.

xinex said...

I love everything you put together here, Sue. Love all the vintage items esp. the photograph. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!...Christine

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a great vignette, complete with a story. The tray reminded me of a coffee table I use to have, made out of a trunk tray.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!!
Hope you are enjoying this wonderful time of the year!

Katherines Corner said...

Everything looks so beautifier. Yes I've been good ( big smile) I hope your holiday is as sweet as you are xo

Jo said...

What a great vignette You out do yourself each time Have a Merry Christmas my friend !

Pam @ Frippery said...

Just charming Sue. Merry Christmas, Pam

Divina Chita Brasil said...

Thank you and Marry Christmas!!

Sharing Shadymont said...

Absolutely lovely!

Debby said...

I love your display and story. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Merry Christmas my friend. There is snow in Colorado, lots of it.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I think your story is probably right on Sue,.....beautifully told and presented. Have a wonderful week and a Happy New Year. xo

Town and Country Gals said...

Sue,
Your vintage photo of those 2 children is adorable! I collect vintage children and baby photos, can't seem to resist those sweet little faces! Your vignette is beautiful and the "story" perfect!
I'm your newest follower and would love for you to visit me!
Happy Holidays
Rebecca

The Tablescaper said...

Great post. Love the photos and thoughts.

- The Tablescaper

Connie (aka LOU) said...

Visiting from TTT. Such a sweet post with a story line. Don't you wonder what happened to the family of these two that would let their pictures go? You honored them by being the center of attention. Lovely arrangement.

Kathy said...

How sweet!! Their Christmas sounds simply wonderful, and I know yours was too!!

Happy New Year my friend!

Hugs, Kathy

Kathleen said...

Hi Sue!
I scrolled back and caught up on all your posts. Everything looks beautiful! As for those kids from the brown stone in the city, my dad who would turn 100 this year , told me they would get candy and oranges in theirs. Oranges were a tremendous treat as they had to arrive in NY from Fl or Ca , and survive the long trip!
Hope you had a great Christmas, and best wishes for many blessings in the new year!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh how fabulous. I love your tray, and your story of the children, the brownstone and all of their toys is just so fun. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

CJ said...

Sweet vigneete, from the vintage photo to the note to Santa. I hope I've been good this year, at least I know I've tried. Happy New Year! ~CJ

Karen said...

Beautiful vignette and a lovely story to accompany it. I could visualize it all as I read it.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Love your vintage Christmas post! Hope your day was merry and bright! Ours was very nice. Happy New Year my friend! May 2012 be a fantastic year for you!

Balisha said...

It was lovely following your imaginings through your beautiful photos. Hope your Christmas was Merry and enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend.Happy New Year!
Balisha

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

Oh I love this! It's so super cute!!!

Dee

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, what a lovely vignette and a lovely little story you created. I could picture those two children looking out the nursery window with the "looking glasses"-their blocks stacked nearby and the train running around a track. I hope it is ok that I'm going to pin a picture of this vignette. I want to remember to do something similar next year. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and I wish you and your family a wonderful 2012! laurie

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Sue, The children are adorable and I love the story you told. Beautiful vignette! Thanks for linking to the party and for allowing me to feature your home this week.
xo,
Sherry

Betsy said...

This is such a sweet vignette. I think your stories are "right on." Things were so much simpler back then and children had to really use their imaginations. Thanks for sharing this.

Terry said...

Everything is so beautiful! I saw the photos of your beautiful home on "Open House Party Thursdays."

Happy New Year!
Terry

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Back again Sue, after seeing you featured at Sherry's place. I see bubble lights on your tree. Love those. At one point I had the vintage bubble lights from my husband's childhood. They went kaput...so I bought reproduction ones. The cat ruined those. I loved those lights. After seeing yours I think I may have to start looking for some vintage ones again. If the grand girls ever spend a Christmas with us, they would love those! Happy happy New Year. xo

Kathy said...

Sue...Happy New Year my friend.
Thank You for stopping by...so nice to be back in blogland catching up with the friends.
Your house is amazing during the Holidays!!!!
Spent much time going back over your posts.
Wonderful vintage toys and all,
Hugs, Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

FABBY'S LIVING said...

How beautiful everything looks! I love the vintage vignette, specially your story for the children. Happy new year dear Sue.
FABBY

mary said...

Awesome! Love it! Wishing you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Katherines Corner said...

Thank you for linking up at Thursday Favorite things at Katherines Corner xo

Cindy said...

Hi Sue, Thanks for your kind words on my Blog. I am finding the blogging gals to all be so warm and friendly. Going to spend some more time here to check out your wonderful posts! Happy New Year! XO Cindy

Diann said...

Sue, you have such a beautiful gift for putting together lovely vintage vignettes! This Christmas one is wonderful! Thank you for being part of TTF and I hope you and your family have a very blessed 2012!

Pam said...

I just saw you featured over at Sherry's. You're famous! I have been hanging low lately and trying to get stuff done at my house. So a belated holiday greeting. Hope you and the hubs had a great Christmas.

blessedmom's simple home said...

What a wonderful post Sue. Beautiful photos and I loved the imagination that went into it :)
Happy New Year to you and your family!
Blessings,
Marcia

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Happy New Year to you and yours Sue! Love all your vintage goodies of and old fashioned Christmas scene. You put it all together so well!

Big hugs, Sherry & Wes

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Love your display...and all its vintage-ness!! Happy New Year!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Happy New Year Sue!
Wishing you the very best in the coming year.
LOVE that old photo of the boys. Such a darling vignette, so clever and well-planned out! As would be expected here at your lovely and inspirational blog.

xoxox
Alison

Jo said...

Your vignette is so cozy and welcoming ~ perfect for Christmas. You have such a talent for pulling these together. If I tried it would look like a pile of clutter left out on the table :)

Jo

Honey at 2805 said...

Beautiful!

Thank you for for sharing at Potpourri Friday. I wish you a healthy, prosperous and sparkling New Year!

Sherry said...

Sue,
How cute! Love the old shoes! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry