Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Last of the Christmas Trees

 

Here are the last of the trees this Christmas!

A miniature tree has been “planted” into a pot and placed in the downstairs bathroom. It features a fun animal theme- dogs, rabbits, horses, bears, and ducks…. Everything a small child would enjoy. And this big kid thinks it is fun, too!

 

animal tree 2

 

 

 

 

candle light

The tree, itself, is a miniature country style tree with skinny little branches. I wound a brown light stand on it to blend in with it and then hung some grunge candles for some warm lighting. Small wooden beads drape all around, as well.

 

 

 

felt mouse

This felt mouse has been around for many years- probably from one of my very first trees.

 

 

bear

A resin soldier bear with angel wings.

 

 

beads, bird, mouse

Do you see the colored “light bulbs?”  They’re crafted to simulate the larger bulbs that were so popular when I was a kid.  The little mouse tucked into a stocking is a bread dough ornament.

 

 

dog and bone

A friendly canine is a must on an animal tree!  This guy’s bone is bigger than he is.

 

 

rusty bird and house

Where there are birds, there naturally come bird houses….

 

 

birdhouses

 

 

 

 

 

reindeer on wheels

This reindeer obviously scoots about on wheels!

 

 

duck and bunny

Mr. Duck and Miss Bunny.

 

 

 

 

 

hobby horse

As kids, we always had a hobby horse to prance around on.

 

 

hobby horse

This one is mounted on a large cinnamon stick and sports a great mane.

 

 

lamb2

Did one of the Beekman Boy’s lambs get loose?

 

 

pig

I wonder if this could be Earl’s cousin…

 

 

santa bunny

Santa Bunny.

 

 

mrs. santa bunny

Mrs. Santa Bunny.

 

 

angel

And to watch over all the little animals is this sweet country angel.

                                                                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Going with a specific theme does tend to limit you to keeping the same decorations from year to year. My brown and gold tree in the foyer has had the same natural theme for the past three years and looks this year’s tree looks almost identical to last year’s.  However, it did this get one small change this year – I added in some dried, brown hydrangeas.

brown and gold tree,nite shot

I was suffering with a bout of insomnia when I took this picture very early one morning (about 2 a.m.- ick).  I flipped on the tree lights with the remote so I could see my way down the hall and into the kitchen for a snack!

 

 

 

.

 

foyer buffet

The tree stands at the end of the bannister in the foyer. It’s a six-footer and decorated with gold beads, brown and gold ribbons, feathers, and lots of shiny ornaments.

 

 

feather wreath

In keeping with a look of both bling and natural elements, this feather wreath adds a lot of interest to the tree.

 

 

 

 

hydrangeas 

These are day and night shots of the brown hydrangeas.

 

 

brown hydrangeas

 

 

 

 

 

 

gold, brown baubles

Here is some of the glitz. Even these feathers are shiny and glittery.

 

 

gold snowflake

A silhouette of one of the golden snowflakes.

 

 

 

gold poinsettias, hydrangeas

I used sheer gold poinsettias to fill in bare spots.

 

 

feathers

Real feathers add to the nature theme.

 

 

filled tree

Golden glamour.

 

 

pinecone ornament

My favorite ornament on the tree is the large glass ornament showing a rustic pinecone on it, along with its Latin name.

 

 

pinecone closeup

I always place it directly in front of one of the lights so the details are illuminated.

 

 

tree topper

The topper is a glass bird ornament similar to my favorite pinecone one. A head dress of feathers forms the backdrop for it.

 

 

brown and white at nite

The way this tree glows in the dark is almost magical.

                                                                                        

                                                                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The largest of all of our trees is the very chubby 12-footer in the great room. It doesn’t look as if it it that tall because of its girth! Guess the same principle that applies to people applies to trees! Note to self- you might consider going on a diet and getting some more exercise.

This tree is pre-lit, but we add on red chile lights and red and orange bubble lights to give it some character. It’s done up in a southwest theme, complete with aspen leaves,a clay burro, barbed wire, and even a pair of cowboy boots. I’m a New Mexico girl at heart, and this reminds me of my home state.

 

sw tree with flare

Red, wooden beads were strung from top to bottom and filled in with wire garland. Red and blue cotton bandanas were tied to the ends of many of the branches to tie in the southwest/cowboy look.

 

 

sw tree

There’s lots of color going on here. Brightly colored bandanas, red beads, glittery pinecones, colored water in the bubble lights, yellow aspen leaves…..

 

 

bandana

 

 

boot ornament

This is just one of a few cowboy boot styles hanging on the tree.

 

 

cowboy

You can see the strand of chile lights in the background of the silhouetted cowboy on his horse.

 

 

bubble lite

It was difficult for me to capture the bubbles inside this bubble light, so use your imagination to see it bubbling away.

 

 

dan's boot

Behind the beads and aspen leaves is a pair of our son’s cowboy boots. He wore them when he was much younger. I wouldn’t want to try and place a size 14 boot in there now! 

 

Indian pouch

Woven pouches with American Indian designs hang throughout the tree.

 

 

chile and mitten

I nestled some wire garland with rust colored stars in among the branches.  Glass chiles hang all throughout the tree.

 

 

aspen leaves

There are several aspen leaf garlands tucked in the front of the tree. Sure do wish I had ordered more- they’re no longer available through my source.

 

 

bear zia

The zia motif is prevalent among American Indian art.  It’s even in the New Mexico state flag. Here, a zia shaped ornament features a bear.

 

 

 

barbwire steer outline

If you look closely, you will see the outline of a steer’s head fashioned out of real barbed wire. Do you see it?

 

 

 

pinecone

I used snow covered, glittery pinecones all through the tree. The southwest does, indeed, have dense mountain ranges, full of pine and aspen trees. When I still lived in New Mexico, we only had to drive about 10 miles out of town to be up in the national forest. I really do miss that scenery!

 

 

 

 

 

roping santa 

This roping Santa is quite a character!

 

 

 

lariat

I even have an authentic lariat on the back of the tree. I couldn’t fit in between the wall and the tree, so I shot it as a reflection in the mirror.

 

burro with pack

I bought this little clay burro carrying a pack of wood at a small art shop in New Mexico many years ago. He’s very rustic- you can see the artist’s fingerprints on him.

 

 

 

mariachi santa

At the top of the tree is my Mariachi Santa. 

 

 

 

cowboy santa

And standing watch at the base of the tree is this cowboy Santa. He is one of six different styles that I purchased at Kohl’s after Christmas last year.

 

 

cowboy santa close-up

In true cowboy fashion, he’s holding a lariat and has his saddle draped over his arm.

 

                                                                                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

purple, green tree

 

And here is the tree that I procrastinated putting up until Thursday – the purple and lime green one.  What stymied me in the first place was that I had decorations but no tree. The tree I wanted to use had a broken base and I had to toss it out. It was identical to the kitchen tree, which also had a bum base!  I had a hard time trying to find a narrow enough tree to fit on the staircase landing; and this tree is not really what I wanted.  I think I want an alpine tree with a rustic wood trunk. But it will have to do for now.  Maybe an after-Christmas sale will yield me what I really want.

 

 

1

This tree just didn’t get the attention that I gave the other eight. By the time this one went up, I didn’t feel like hiding the light strands inside the branches. And the fact that I was working with only four strands, (one of which had the second half of it completely out!), just hindered me all the more.  For garland, I simply uncoiled the rolled ribbon and let it drape in alternating colors.

 

 

4

Purple poinsettias and sparkly green berries filled some of the empty spaces between the balls. The decorations were all from the Dollar Tree- I saw those bright colors and thought they would make a wonderfully fun color combination.

 

3

 

 

 

 

1

 

 

 

 

 

hall view

When night falls, this is what we are greeted with as we enter the foyer. Christmas-time certainly is magical!

 

So there you have it- the last four of my trees! Yes, that means I actually had NINE!  In the event that you missed the others, or if you’d like to see them again, you can click on on the following links to see them.

A Few of My Christmas Trees

More Christmas Trees

 

I’ll have some more holiday décor posts to show you within the next few days. Geez- where did this month go?   I think I still have some last minute shopping to do!

                       

 

 

                                                             

Linking this post to:

     metamorphis mon.            nifty thrifty tuesdays                                         wow us wed.      Ivy and Elephants Banner2    What’s It Wednesday            

         sherry                  thrifty things friday                vintage inspiration button          charm of home         Inspiration Friday Graphic  

jr



                           

 

34 comments:

classic • casual • home said...

Fa la la la la!!! You have been busy. Thanks for showing us.

Jo said...

You know I love the SW tree! I got my tree but but no ornaments..was nicew to take a tour of yours

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one walking around in the middle of the night sometimes, Sue! I can see why you love that pinecone ornament; it's very pretty and looks so nice with the light behind it. I think your purple and green tree turned out great! Love the two colors together.

Barbara F. said...

Wow, you know how to really deck the halls, Sue. I love the purple and lime green tree. Merry Christmas! xo

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

You have some beautiful trees, Sue.

Olive Cooper said...

Wow Sue they are all beautiful. I do wonder about your electric bill though.

Sonia said...

Amazing collection of trees...I do good to get one up and decorated! So many gorgeous and unique ornaments and the style of each tree is so pretty. You really did a wonderful job! Thanks for sharing your "tree farm". Merry Christmas!
Miss Bloomers

Debby said...

They are all beautiful. I don't know how you do so many. But your home has to beautiful with all of them.

farmlady said...

All just lovely. I'm overwhelmed at your efforts.
Does anyone help take these down? It must feel kind of bare after the house is emptied of the trees. Do you ever keep any of them up longer that January? Might be kind of pretty... like in the bathroom.

Andrea said...

All your trees are gorgeous, and I love that they are all so different. I'm feeling like a slacker with my 1 tree!! (well, sorta 2, if you count my mini topiary tree =)

Babs said...

Wow! You have certainly decked the halls in style. How fabulous! and how much work! You must have a lot of elves on overtime. Way to decorate! :)

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Sue all your trees are BEAUTIFUL!!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue your home is a feast for the eyes for the holidays! I don't know how you do it but it certainly is beautiful! I hope your holidays are filled with happy memories and all good things!~Hugs, P&C

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Wow! I am amazed at all of your beautiful trees, and I LOVE your wreaths on the staircase. You have really outdone yourself. I would say you are READY for this week. Merry Christmas!!! Kristine

Jemsmom said...

Ooooooo....aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh... that is all I can say with all your trees. I want to come to your house! It is a Christmas wonderland!!!! Everything is just perfect. You know how to decorate a tree! I love the brown and gold, but the cowboy one touched my heart. My stepbrother that just passed away was a rodeo cowboy and would have loved everything about that tree. I love it to! You are so talented!!!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your trees are incredible.. what a festive home you have. Happy Holidays. hugs ~lynne~

Bose said...

My mind is already filled with full of colors looking at this tree, thanks so much and happy Christmas!
Sample Printables

middle child said...

WOW!

Mary Ellen said...

The trees are so unique and festive!! You do a great job! I don't know about you but the only thing about having so many trees like we do is that I don't have enough presents to put under them all!!

bee blessed
mary

Cottage and Broome said...

Yikes! I can't believe yo did that many trees! Enjoy them this holiday season!! Beautiful! Laura

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I have really enjoyed seeing all your very pretty and festive trees. You have done a great job of decorating them all. I won't try to pick a favorite. I did well to get a little 4 footer up this year.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
You do a beautiful job with all your trees and WOW...your ornament collection is awesome!!! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Blessings,
Linda

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Oh Sue your trees are so incredible!

Merry Christmas sweetie and have a blessed New Year!

Big hugs, Sherry

Divina Chita Brasil said...

Suas árvores são maravilhosas!!Parabéns!
Cimara

Maria said...

That Mariachi Santa cracked me up! What a fun tree! But, wow! Nine trees??? You have a lot of energy! Congratulations on putting the finishing touches on the last tree! Now you can enjoy them! Merry Christmas!

Balisha said...

I love that first little tree. Have you ever been featured in a house walk at Christmas time?
Balisha

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, what a sight to enter your home and see 3 lit Christmas trees all in one glance ~ and all of them are gorgeous! Judging by this post, I'd say you could probably create a gorgeous Christmas tree in your sleep. How sweet all of those animals ornaments are. I'm going to show my husband your SW tree, since he collects a lot of cowboy stuff. Great themes for all of your trees. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas and new year. laurie

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How pretty and festive, Sue! Love the trees...all nine! Merry Christmas!...hugs...Debbie

Atticmag said...

You've really outdone yourself with each variation. I was particularly taken by the sweet ornaments on the little tree but all are so glam.

Happy holidays,

Jane

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Sue, I love your trees, all of them! You have been one busy lady!!

Pat said...

I've enjoyed seeing each and every one of your wonderful trees, Sue!

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Sue,
Thanks for missing me in blog land!
I love all your trees! The big one with the south west theme has so many cute ornaments.
I love the one at the bottom of the stairs in the foyer. It does look magical!
Mine is a 12 footer. It looks taller cuz it was watching it's diet. lol

Merry Christmas!

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Sue! All your trees are so pretty that I can't pick a favorite! Thanks for sharing them all.

I hope you are all finished with your decorating and can just sit back and enjoy all the family activities. But I have a feeling that you will be busy in the kitchen!

xoxo Bunny Jean

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Hi Sue!
Ok... me again!
Oh my heavens, your trees are over the moon! So pretty!
I am loving the one at the bottom of the stairs, the feathers and the colors... all my faves.
The children's animal tree is so sweet! I also love the green and purple one and once got to decorate a hot pink/fuscia and chartruese tree for a shop where I worked. That was a lot of fun and your tree reminded me of that.

I cannot stop eating cookies either. Diet in January for me.
We just got a refrigerated package of chocolate dipped fresh strawberries and cherries tonight. I can hear them screaming at me right now from the kitchen! Ugh!
MAKE THEM STOP!!!
I have no willpower at all.

Hugs to you.
Thanks for sharing.
Just one more question.... how many plastic bins do YOU have!!???
(I thought I had a lot.) LOL

xoxoxox
Merry merry Christmas!
Alison