Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Christmas Vignette for the Dining Room

 

Why is it that we never use the dining room except for holidays and special occasions?  Most of the time, ours is used to spread out paperwork and projects! But come Christmas time, it gets special treatment and some pretty coverings. This year, the table got a little bling by way of mercury glass and some other silver touches.  Add in some cream with tablecloths and some lace, and I think we’ve got ourselves a pretty holiday table.

 

xmas table 1

Using my mounded moss urns helped fill the expanse of the table and add some greenery to an otherwise neutral tabletop.  I simply bunched some chiffon fabric and nestled in some candlesticks, a silver tray and coffee pot, and a silver painted reindeer.

 

dining room table

Although the fabric is gold and cream, I think it’s a nice contrast to the silver that is so predominant everywhere else.

 

silver tray

One of my thrifted silver trays was used to hold a large mercury glass pinecone ornament, three votive cups, some rolled up pieces of lace, and a few glass balls. Although you can’t see much of it here, there is a little wire tree with sparkly snowflakes in the background.

 

snowflake tree

Here’s the tree and the silver reindeer standing guard behind it.

 

 

lace and glass

I got the idea for rolling up the bits and pieces of lace when I was in shopping at the White Cottage in Newark, OH earlier this fall.

 

silver reindeer

This wooden reindeer was originally stained, but I sprayed him silver and then fly-specked him.  The candleholders were purchased at Marshall’s last year.

 

silver coffee pot

While shopping at a recent church bazaar, I came upon this shiny silver coffeepot. It had a broken hinge on the lid, so I put it down and started walking away. The woman at the desk told me it just needed to be soldered, but I didn’t think I could justify the price of having it fixed. Before I could tell her I really wasn’t interested, she just blurted out that she’d let me have it for a dollar because she knew no one would go to the expense of getting it fixed. Well, for a dollar, I figured it would make a great vase.  Sold!  So here it is in all of its glory- filled with fresh greenery and some silver berry sprays.

 

dining tabletop

 

 

 

 

dining room buffet

The buffet is very simply adorned; some greenery, a silver wreath, and some brown and cream candles were the only decorations added.

 

candles and snow

I mixed up a batch of faux snow and placed it on top of the greens.

 

snow close-up

It looks very wet and realistic, doesn’t it?

 

dining table

                                                                                                                                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Can’t believe we only have just a few more days left until Christmas Day. I’m so glad to finally have all the decorating done and I’m enjoying it so much when all the lights get turned on in the evening.  I still have a few things to wrap (or rather, put into gift bags- I don’t technically “wrap” anymore!)so I can place them under the tree. 

And here’s a first-  I’m not eating any sweets!   But before you go congratulating me on my will-power, I have to let the cat out of the bag……  There are no sweets to be had in this house.  I ate them all already!!  Yes, every box of candy and every tin of cookies is now gone!   Self control? What is that?  Somebody better rein me in when we go to Christmas Eve dinner with the relatives! I know there will be mountains of cookies and sweets there. Before I start waddling on Sunday, I’ll be back soon to share two more vignettes with you. 

Sharing this post with:

          wow us wed.       vintage inspiration button             2805            charm of home       french country cottage      open house thursday

34 comments:

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Lol.....that's funny Sue! We know what you mean. I can't have stuff like that in the house because I will eat it, it was in our house and I have been eating it! Your dining room looks so pretty with your tablescape and your hutch! I do like silver and gold together especially at the holidays!~Hugs, Patti

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, it is beautiful and elegant and I love the moss filled urns. You do less is more very well while I do not. Happy Christmas. Olive

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Ha, I am with you on the cookies and sweets. THis time of year kills me Sue...and to top it off we have to go for blood work on Thursday for our health insurance plan LOL...BAD! Love your dining room vignette. The mercury glass is so pretty. Merry Christmas!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Sue your table looks GORGEOUS and I LOVE LOVE your open hutch!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Sue! Love your mercury glass and silver pieces. I just saw that Target has some of their mercury glass votives {and some other pieces} on clearance already.

My son is coming in tomorrow, so if I don't "speak" to you have a very Merry Christmas!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Your table is so pretty!! I love the silver, gold and cream! Your hutch is lovely. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas. hugs, Linda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty and it makes a big statement. That snow looks very real! Know what you mean about the sweets in the house. I about to get a piece of left over turtle pie - like I really need it.

NanaDiana said...

Love the table and the sweet silver pot that you are using. I need to get some baking done here soon. I don't keep it around anymore unless I know someone is here to eat it! xo Diana

Salmagundi said...

Beautiful! I love the mix of gold, silver & mercury. I haven't eaten every sweet in the house, yet; but I'm working on it!! Enjoy this special week. Sally

Debby said...

It all looks sopretyt. I like the gold and silver together. I will eat any chocolate if it isn't tied down. No cookies though.....gluten.....which I must have messed up on as it is off to the doctor tomorrow.
(((((HUGS)))))

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Hi Sue! Your dining room looks so pretty! I love what you did with the coffee pot! So festive!! Great buy, too! Everything just sparkles and looks so festive! Merry Christmas to you!!

Alicia said...

I love it! It all looks perfect! I especially love the silver coffeepot you are using as a vase! Not bad for a buck!

Merry Christmas Sue to you and your family!

Jo said...

I love the table - so elegant! I had to get rid of all the sweets because I was afraid I'd eat them

At The Picket Fence said...

It is all just beautiful Sue! I love the coffee pot/vase filled to the brim with those beautiful boughs and the urns with the moss are such an unexpected touch. Love it! :-)
Vanessa

Divina Chita Brasil said...

Your dinning room look so beautiful!! Here at our house we have a large kitchen and dining table is there, so we have more space in the room and use the table all year even when the guests are at home! Sorry my english, I tried to translate!!
Have a nice day!!
Cimara

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

This is so pretty and elegant, Sue. I love just the simple greenery on the buffet. You will share that home-made snow recipe with us later won't you? That looks so real!

ann said...

I love your color scheme. I know what you mean about dining rooms. Your have put yours to good use.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hi Sue...thanks for not giving up on me and visiting my blog. Since my Etsy shop opened I'm afraid my blog has suffered. I am lucky to get a post published once a week. I'm not complaining...it's been really fun. But I do miss visiting all my favorite blogs. I am getting a little better at fitting it all in but I still need to figure out how to multi-task a little better! Merry Christmas to you and your family. Your dining room is lovely. I especially love the silver pitcher with the berries.

lilraggedyangie said...

Just Beautiful ! as for the cookies ,candy etc... I know nothing lol the fake snow is amazing I have never seen anything like it ! have a wonderful day ! hugs lil raggedy angie

classic • casual • home said...

You are sooo funny...ate ALL THE sweets?
Very pretty decor and table.
Lots of merry wishes for you and your family,
Mary Ann

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Sue, Your Christmas table is beautiful and I especially love the urns and mercury glass. Thanks for joining the Open House Party and Happy Holidays to you and yours.
xo,
Sherry
ps: I ate more than my share of sweets last week on vacation!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your home always looks so beautiful, Sue, no matter what the season!

I am desperately trying to diet for my daughter's spring time wedding but all the holidays have defeated me so fsr...looking forward to the New Year to DIET...lol!

Wishing you and your family a beautiful Christmas!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

CHRISTmas Blessings from my home to yours Sue..If you ever get back to Calif. please feel free to come and stay with us..my home and heart is always open..Much love Gl♥ria

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

LOL, you ate them all? My will power sucks too when I get early gifts like candy and cookies. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs, but I can really overdo it with sugar. lol Love your tablescape.

Marlis said...

Totally smitten with your style. Love the beautiful table center piece you've created. Merry Christmas.. xo marlis

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Gorgeous table arrangement, Sue!
I love your light fixture and how it immediately reminded me of a swirly monogram.So pretty and I have some of that faux snow but keep forgetting to use it!
I am going to spend some time here this evening looking at all NINE of your TREES! Wow!
I am so impressed and cannot believe how amazing they all look. So professionally decorated! Not an inch missing some little bit of fabulousness. :)

Can't wait to take it all in... and your sons little cowboy boots too.
:)
xoxox
Alison

Jemsmom said...

Girl, I am already waddling and we haven't even made our cookies for Santa yet or the Jam cake I am supposed to make with seven million ingredients! I better not wear red on Christmas eve or morning or Jemma will think I am Santa!! Just like that Special K commercial a couple of years ago! Ha! Your dining room is gorgeous and I love that shot will all the lights reflecting in the background! Gorgeous!

Jemsmom said...

P.S. Tutorial for the realistic snow!!! Coming soon??
That is amazing!

Rettabug said...

Oh my, Sue...you do this SO well, Honey! Just beautiful...I have a similar urn but it is up on the top of the kitchen cabinets & I'd need a huge ladder to get it down.

I loved seeing all your trees & decorations. I'm finally finding some time to sit down & visit my favorite people.

Wishing you a very Blessed & Merry CHRISTmas, Hon & thanks for a great year of inspirations.

Hugs,
Rett

p.s. Wish you lived closer so we could visit.

Lady of the Woods said...

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent listening to this music on your page. I had the most glorious day on Friday last week with this music in the background browsing online, discovering that Victoria Magazine type living was not just in pictures, but in real life with real women who are blogging away, much to my great delight. Your newest pictures are a joy! thank you! Lady

Honey at 2805 said...

Your table is so beautiful and festive! Looks lovely, Sue!

Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday! Have a very Merry Christmas and wonderful Holiday Season!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Your table is fabulous. I am loving all of your vignettes. The flowers in the coffee pot is gorgeous. I would love it if you could link this fabulous post to our What's it Wednesday linky party for this week. Hope you can join us.

Paula

Sharing with Sherri said...

Omgosh Sue, Love what you've done. Your dining area and buffet looks so warm, sparkly, and elegant! Your photos captured everything so beautifully too!

Have a Very Merry Christmas!!!!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Beautiful, Sue! I love all the mercury glass! Wishing a very merry Christmas and the happiest of holiday seasons to you and yours!...hugs...Debbie