Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

White Cottage Wonderland…

 

We went on another Friday outing last week and enjoyed a fun day of looking at vintage items. The adventure began in Granville, Ohio where we had hoped to find lots of industrial and other goodies at a barn sale. Unfortunately, the sale was not what it was last year. I came away with only a few finds that I’ll show in a later post.  The goodies had already been well picked over by 8:45, when we arrived. And the sale was to have opened at 8:30…. Something tells me that some early, early birds and the HGTV representative shopping in the barn found their way around really, really early! There were numerous piles of “sold” furniture and goodies outside the entrance to the barn when we arrived. Oh well….

As we continued to roam through the barn making sure that we hadn’t missed anything, the husband and I met up with Debby, my fun blogging friend from Newark. We shopped for a while longer before being led along the back roads of the area, only to arrive at a small mom and pop restaurant where we had a yummy and inexpensive breakfast. Then it was off to shop at the White Cottage, a small yet wonderful shop in downtown Newark, Ohio. I was in heaven with all of the shop’s holiday pretties and goodness!!!  Debby, why haven’t you led me there before?!

 

shop window

This was the entrance window into the shop. Now that I see this photo I’m asking myself why I didn’t think to ask how much that teacart was.  Well, to be honest,  I didn’t even anything in the window until we were leaving. And since the husband was anxious to be on our way back to Dayton, I didn’t go back inside the store.  Next time, he may just have to wait for me!  Like he doesn’t already….   

 

 

sea of white

It was a sea of white in here! I had forgotten to put the memory disc into my new camera so I had to borrow the husband’s Blackberry. Because of the lighting, I should have used a flash for some of these shots- but I do not know how to fool with his phone. I am technology impaired when it comes to those things… I use the simplest of phones to call people and I don’t text often. Too much trouble on a keyboard that isn’t QWARTY.  So, despite the fuzzy pictures, I hope you enjoy seeing this shop.

Look at all of these pretty white things! The owner of the shop is Cyndi Neal and she is assisted by merchandiser, Janet Clayton. It was a wonderland of white and bling, let me tell you.  Prices are very reasonable and affordable and I could have bought waaaay more than I did if  I had been on my own and under no deadline to get back home. That SUV would have been full!

 

trees and cloches

The table in the picture above was topped with silver, faux mercury glass, and cloches. Love those pedestals and the white feather trees.

 

 

table topped with silver and glass

Check out the paper underneath it all- I bet someone could recreate the same look with some large stamps of Frenchy scroll….

 

 

baub;es and trim

I bought some of these faux mercury glass ornaments. Don’t these look yummy in the old rusty urn filled with trim?

 

 

bottle brush tree

There were cloches for sale throughout the store and they were NOT  expensive. I believe that the highest price I saw for their largest one was well under $40. This pearly encircled bottle brush tree just shone under glass!

 

 

blingy tree and ornies

I sure wish I had some old shiny costume jewelry to decorate a plain Styrofoam cone. This one is simply delicious! And look at those white ornies on the silver tray on the right. Wow!

 

 

close-up of tree

Yup, that is yours truly reflected in the mirror. Had to put on my specs to see the husband’s phone. It sure is heck to have to use reading glasses- what has happened to my body? Going somewhere in a hand basket real darn fast, that’s what!

 

 

pinecone candles

Oh my word, how amazing these white pinecone candles smelled! I had the scent on my hands the entire drive home. Luscious….

 

 

skates

Wouldn’t these skates look pretty in a winter vignette?

 

 

white sleigh

And this wicker sleigh could be the basis of a wonderful display, as well.

 

 

tray of trim

A simple arrangement of old trims on a silver pedestal makes such a nice statement.  I think I need to hit some thrift stores to see if I can find some.

 

 

string of keys

Have any old keys laying around that you can tie to a string of jute? They would make a great little banner to hang on a cupboard, such as this!

                                                                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed my little tour from Newark and the White Cottage! I am so glad that Debby took me to this little shop. I would go back in a heartbeat, but a two hour trip just isn’t in the works any time soon.  Sure wish southwest Ohio had places like this for me to shop.  I might have to venture down Cincinnati way looking for some. Wonder if my Cincy blogging friend, Pam, knows of any? Guess I need to shoot her an e-mail- it would be a lot closer, since I’m only 30 minutes from the most northern suburb of Cincinnati.  I’m off to get some “real” work done. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow and the yard needs to have the leaves blown into the street again… And then there are all those leaves in the stream that need to be cleaned out…  And the tent from our weekend party that needs to be put into the garage….  

 

Linking up with:

nifty thrifty tuesdays      wow us wed.       2805    vintage inspiration button    charm of home       

50 comments:

Jo said...

I could spend hours and hours lost in all those beautiful goodies! Shall I send you my Christmas wish list? Actully, anything would be fabulous.:)

Jo

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Oooh! Photos like these make me want to start decorating for Christmas right now!

Pam said...

Gorgeous. Makes me want to do my whole house in white.

Sharing with Sherri said...

Thanks so much for taking us on your shopping trip!! Lots of great inspiration here! I have a couple of those styrofoam cones that I've been wanting to do something with and would love one like these. I just recently also picked up that same wicker sleigh you showed too. I like it painted white, might have to try that... Might just as well, It seems like I been painting everything else white lol!

It's a beautiful day here in Cali, but a winter chill is definitely in the air... But I'm in no hurry for winter!
Take care, it was so nice to hear from you!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Thank you for taking us along with you...I don't know about everybody else but I had a blast drooling!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Lots of pretties! Thanks for sharing your shopping trip . I went to an estate sale one time just as they were "suppose" to be opening up and someone was already checking out and leaving with a ton of very old vintage jewelry. Apparently she "knew someone" and got in early. Some get perks I guess. :D

Miss Char said...

Now THATs the way to spend a Friday Sue. Isn't the KitchenAid outlet in downtown Grenville and Annie Oakley's grave is somewhere in that area too I think. Too bad about the sale being picked over when you got there but it looks like you had a wonderful day anyway.

NanaDiana said...

OMGoodness! I'll bet you walked around with a silly smile on your face the whole time you were in there! I love that store and wish I could go myself! What a lot of wonderful ideas! xo Diana

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

What an awesome shop Sue! LOVE the feather trees!! And those pine cone candles!! They need to sell on line!!

Have a great day! Sounds like you are going to be busy!

Lou Cinda

JunqueMagnet said...

Isn't that a fun shop? I found it a few weeks before the Rural Antique Society show and thoroughly enjoyed myself. "Picked" a few pieces and kept a few which are of course piled in the garage waiting to make their grand entrance!Happy shopping.

Jemsmom said...

I WANT IT ALL!!!! All that white is so yummy and gorgeous!!!

Pat said...

This definitely looks like my kind of shop.

I was at HomeGoods this morning and saw two cloches both under $20. Pretty good buys. I do not need another cloche however.:-)

Polly said...

love than place! and Cyndi and Janet are the sweetest gals ever!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great shop, Sue! I love seeing your pictures; such great ideas here! That is a far drive, though. We'll have to find something this way.

I banged my hand pretty good today - went to Urgent Care, but I will send you an email in the morning. I'm about due to put ice on again! : (

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, I looked at every photo twice. What a wonderful and imaginative store. I love the costume jewelry trees and I want at least one of those pretty pinecone candles. Shoot! I just got my T'gvng all put out, and this made me want to start putting out Christmas! I sure wish I could go shopping with you. laurie

The French Hutch said...

Oh Sue, want a wonderful place to spend some serious time. I see so many wonderful things. I love all of the white, just gorgeous. Makes me want to rethink my Christmas decor. I'm afraid I would have been able to leave without those skates. Fabulous post.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Sue I could really go wild there..just some beautiful things..I bought some old skates and forgot about them I need to have Len dig them out for my granddaughter house for Christmas..I'm not doing it this year..Hugs and love Gloria

Honey at 2805 said...

What a fabulous store. I have been studying all of the pictures, but will go back to do it again. There is so much inspiration here! I would have loved to be along on this trip!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, what a wonderful looking shop. So many pretties for the holidays. Yes, Sue is a hoot.

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh Sue, this is NOT helping how antsy I am to get started on my Christmas decorating! :-) What a gorgeous shop! So glad you had a good time and that store kind of redeemed the day. Those darn early birds, huh? LOL!
Vanessa

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

WE tried to find this shop a couple of months ago and for some reason couldn't. It's not that far from me. I LOVE that jewel encrusted styrafoam tree!! Just gorgeous! Beautiful for sure! I guess I didn't miss much then at the barn sale? I will be hitting White Cottage very soon! Thanks for sharing Sue!~Hugs, Patti

Karen said...

Oh my goodness, that place is a dream, so many pretty things. I would be penniless if I went there.

sissie said...

What a lovely shop. I would spend hours in there and probably spend quite a few bucks! I just love everything and especially the mercury glass balls and the keys hanging from the rope!

hugs
Sissie

Veronica said...

Wow Gorgeous shop! Filled with treasure...sigh

Veronica
Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

So pretty could have seen more pictures and just wowed it all! Thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

rah! so much eye candy. I *LOVE* the pine cone candles...wish I could smell them...WISH there was a White Cottage in Cedar Rapids, IA!!!! Thanks so much for sharing these pretties. ENJOYED !!

Secret Garden Cottage said...

OMG, I could lose myself in a shop like that... just gorgeous! :)
~ Jo

time worn interiors said...

Lovely displays! Awh!
tot

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Ahhh how pretty Sue. I love those white ice skates. I have been looking for an old vintage pair at a good price for years now. I still do not have any:(

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, What a beautiful shop. I see lots of things I would love to take home but the jeweled Christmas tree really caught my eye.
xo,
Sherry

Scribbler said...

Wow -- thank you so much for sharing this post -- it was a real treat to "visit" this store. I only saw about 50 things I would like to have, beginning with those ice skates and the mirror! We don't see ice skates here in Alabama, and I would love to find a pair to hang on my front door for Christmas. Do you suppose they would ship?

I had a chance to catch up with your blog, and I was so impressed by your back yard and the lighting. Just beautiful.

ETS

blessedmom's simple home said...

What great inspiration you shared here! I love the silver and white palette. I have to put on my glasses to see anything up close these days. My kids love to tease me about it :)
Blessings,
Marcia

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue!

What a fab place! I've got to find it!! Everything looks delicious!!

Hugs, Sherry

I want to make a jewelry tree now!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Sue, If I knew of a place like that I would have told everyone. Hmmm, time to do a little research! I have been holed up in the studio with the world flying by without me. I love that all white and silver look, but I don't think I would ever be able to maintain it. Color would always sneak in.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Sue, Loved that you shared your trip. The jewelry Christmas trees sure caught my eye. I would have to do a lot of treasure hunting to make a tree like that. :) I am busy like crazy pricing all the holiday goodies I have collected over the year to add to my booth. Will be decorating it for the holidays in just a few days. And with 20 some coming for Thanksgiving dinner and trying to spiffy up my own home, I feel like I am coming unglued. :) But some how it all manages to get done. xoxo

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Oh it's all so lovely. Looks like you had a blast. Is that you in the mirror, with the glasses on squinting at the camera???

Erin of Salvaged Whimsy said...

I can't believe there's a shop like this in Newark. This place would make a killing in Granville! I'm definitely going to have to make a trip there. I love all of the white. Thanks for sharing the trip!

Tracy said...

What a pretty shop! I could do some real damage in a place like that - to my credit card!

The Vintage Chateau said...

Great photos, even if they were taken with a Backberry phone! What a fun shop!
Karee

Simone said...

You are so lucky to get the chance to visit such a store - we have nothing like that here in Sydney, it looks like you could get lost in there for a long time. thanks for sharing!

A Cottage Muse said...

So happy I stopped in...I enjoyed browsing with you through these beautiful displays! Going back to take another peek!!

Lady Pamela said...

Now THAT's My Kind of store. I could spend all day there. Thank you so much for sharing.

Georgie Horn said...

New follower! Glad I found you via the All things French blog. Come by for some puddin n pie..
http://georgie-hornpuddinnpie.blogspot.com/2011/11/slow-down-sunday-i-aint-ready-for.html

Carolyn said...

Hi Sue,
I see lots of treasures that I would love at that amazing shop but I think my favorite is the vintage skates.

Carolyn

Sherry said...

Sue,
I just love it when any body shows me a shop like this! Such eye candy! Love it!
Thank you for linking it up to Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Hi Sue, what a great store. Love that tree made out of vintage jewelry. I'll be featuring this post tomorrow on VIF, xo

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sue...

I'm just coming over from Sherry's party. As soon as I seen all that glittery white and silver Christmas...I had to see more! Hehe! Wow...what a fabulous shop! The Christmas displays are just "out of this world" FABULOUS!!! I loved the jeweled Christmas trees. They would be fun to make...hmmm...my creative wheels are turnin'! Hehe! Thanks so much for sharing your trip and photos with us, dear lady! This was such a treat!!!

Love ya,
Chari

Secret Garden Cottage said...

What a gorgeous shop, Sue! Thanks for sharing it with us!
xo,
Jo

Mona said...

so beautiful..now I am dreaming of a white Christmas.. :-)

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Wow, I just cant believe how beautiful your pics are!
Very inspiring!
Thank you for sharing!
Leticia