Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Trip to Tipp With A New Pal

My newest blogging gal pal has turned into a real life pal!  I met Kathy, from Creative Home Expressions, while visiting her blog via a party link, a few weeks back. She had mentioned in a previous post that she had recently moved to Ohio from Long Island.  I, being the nosey one, wrote and welcomed her to the Buckeye State. Long story short…. I determined that she must live fairly close to me and just came out and asked where she lived. It turns out that she is only a short hop, skip, and a jump away from my house! 

I asked her if she’d like to meet in person, and once she determined I wasn’t a stalker or some crazy person, she agreed.  After getting to know each other over breakfast and an excursion to a local resale shop, we both agreed that we had “clicked.”  She asked our server at the local Bob Evans Restaurant to take our picture together, but Kathy wasn’t real satisfied with how she looked in the photo and I thought I just looked like a fool!  Anyway, she nixed using any of the shots of us. We both brought our cameras along on our  most recent outing on Thursday, but guess who took absolutely NO pictures? Yup-  neither one of us!  So everyone will have to wait to see us together at another time. IF we can both agree that we look beautimous together in the same shot!!

Anyway, we took a trip up the highway to Tipp City to shop at a favorite vintage shop up there, Past Perfect. I wanted to show her where I usually find my goodies when I’m not traversing to all those barn sales in central Ohio!  Past Perfect held its holiday open house last Friday and my favorite booth was a bit sold out of merchandise ( I have to tell the truth and say that I helped contribute to that state!), but Kathy was still able to find a few things to buy. She just posted her treasures, so pop over and see her!

 

5 pins

After she bought her things, we meandered over to an antiques mall that I haven’t frequented for a couple of years. I wasn’t shopping for anything particular- I just wanted to let something catch my fancy.  Lately, I’ve been fascinated with rolling pins. What?  Rolling pins?!  I don’t know what the attraction was, but there was enough of one to convince me to buy five of them!

Now, don’t ask me how I finally got that top pin to balance on top of the others. It took some doing!

 

 

crock of rolling pins

I plopped my purchases into an old crock that I found at a church sale last year. It was one of two that were included in that amazing $50 purchase of my vintage goat cart.  Into the mix, I included an old wooden masher that I found for $3 at the barn sale a few weeks ago.

 

masher

I’m calling it a masher, for lack of anything better to call it. I’m sure that there is some technical term for it, so if any of you can tell me, I’d be happy to have your input.  I recall my grandmother having something like this that she used with one of her conical strainers. She often made choke cherry jelly and she pushed the fruit through the strainer like a sieve with a wooden tool that looked similar to this.

 

crock 2

I  guess what I loved about these old utilitarian pieces was their worn patina. There are nicks and stains in and on them that could only have come from repeated use in the kitchen. I found all five of them in one booth and they were priced very reasonably. Kathy and I had seen some others in another booth, but I really didn’t want to shell out $14 for them. The one piece pin that is to the left of the green-handled one cost me only $5. The rest of them all have attached handles and were $4.

 

green handle

I’m betting that, at one point, this handle was bright green. It has since faded to a lovely and variegated light green color, due to use and cleaning.  And as far as cleaning goes, why do some people soak their wooden tools and cutting blocks in water?

 

red handle

The red handle on this pin is still quite bright, which says to me that it didn’t get as much wear.

 

                                                                                  ~~~~~~~

It was a fun excursion for Kathy and me. We hope to get to Columbus real soon to visit the Heritage Square Antiques Mall, where my blogging buddy, Polly, has a booth. I haven’t seen her things for a while and need to make the trip. And since the White Cottage shop is only about 40 minutes from there, maybe we can hop up to Newark and see if Cyndi has added any more eye candy to it.  It’s going to be a busy shopping season!! 

 

 

Linking to:

          Seasonal Sunday - the tablescaper       tuesday's treasures uncommon slice of suburbia        Knick of Time Tuesday1           nifty thrifty tuesdays          wow us wed.               

 

 

                    from my front porch to yours             2805             stuff and nonsense              Inspiration Friday Graphic

42 comments:

Barbara F. said...

I love when blogging friends get to meet in person! That place sounds fabulous, I am sure they will be well stocked again very soon. Growing up my mother had the rolling pin with the red handles. xo

Debby said...

Hi. I have been meaning to email you all week.
YOu better call me if you come this way.
Sounds like your new blogger friend has alot in common with you. I am referring to the pictures, hah.
Talk to you soon.

Blondie's Journal said...

How neat that you got to meet Kathy...I love her blog and her sweet personality!

Love, love, love those rolling pins, they probably bring back great memories of your grandmother's kitchen! I like the faded green one, too.

Sounds like you have a lot of antiquing going on. Would love to live closer, too!

Happy Saturday!

XO,
Jane

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Oh what fun meeting bloggers in real life, and it is always a plus if they are not stalkers, murderers, etc, lol.
Love the rolling pins. I found about 9 and paid only $1.00 a piece for them. Mine are going in the juntique store. Have a great Thanksgiving, Sue.

Pam said...

How fun that she lives close to you. I only have one rolling pin. And can't tell you the last time I used it, so maybe I should just put it out as decor then.

Green Willow Pond said...

So glad you made a new friend. I too recently met a blogging buddy for an all day shopping trip. It was so much fun. We clicked too. Have a great weekend!

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, that masher has a beautiful shape. I like the look of rolling pins and came close to buying a marble one recently but did not know how to display them now you, smart one, have solved that issue. I am so glad you two found each other and had such a good time. hugs♥O

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Haha, we will definitely have to take pictures next time {and got someone to take one of both of us}, Sue! Your rolling pins look great in that crock; I think you got just the right amount, too. I had a great time {again} and we'll have to see if we can make that trip to Columbus before any snow decides to fall!

Jemsmom said...

Great finds and I am so glad you have a new buddy to hang with! Isn't blogland fantastic! I am sure it has made a huge difference for her too being new to the area!

NanaDiana said...

How fun to actually meet someone you have found blogging! I think that is wonderful! I'm glad you had fun shopping together and I'll bet she is glad to find someone in her new "home" that she feels comfortable with. xo Diana

Jo said...

I think it is called a jelly pestle. I love that place in Tipp City! Glad to hear you found another blogger in the neighborhood...I look forward to meeting another local!

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

How awesome is that Sue! So nice to make a real friend connection out here! Cool rolling pins there, and what great shots!

Uptown Antiques said...

What a nice story! I think we should have an Ohio girl's get together! I'd love to meet some of the owners of my favorite blogs!

Kim ~ Marysville, Ohio!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Sounds like so much fun Sue! I love those rolling pins and how you have them displayed. I think you and Kathy are going to be making some awesome shopping trips!

Nancy @ Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I love the 'Road to Perdition' music you've got playing. I've watched that movie a few times and every time I mention that I'd love to have the soundtrack.

That's so neat that you and Kathy got to meet and clicked. She seems so sweet. I'm sure she loved getting to meet you as well and making her feel welcome to Ohio!

Ok, the rolling pins...I've had the same thing about them to lately. I just bought one on Etsy that had red painted handles (I see you added one to!) and today I seriously had to keep resisting the urge not buy several more when my daughter and I were at an antique mall. I'm planning to start a little collection and display them similar to yours in a big slop pail, transferware of course! lol

Your collection looks wonderful!

Nancy

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, I just saw Kathy' post about your visit. It's always fun to get together with blogging friends. I love your collection of rolling pins and they look great in the crock.
Hugs,
Sherry

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

How nice you found a friend so close! Sounds like you have a lot in common. I have several old rolling pins that belonged to my mother and my friends mother. They have both passed a while ago. I also have the same wooden mortar and pestle thing you called a masher. It belonged to my grandmother and I have had it for years and years. I almost went to White Cottage today but didn't quite make it. Too much to do before the crowd hits for Thanksgiving...lol. ~Hugs, Patti

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
How nice that you and Cathy got to meet up...sounds like y'all had a lot of fun. Love all your rolling pins...wonderful collection you have.

Blessings,
Linda

Marlis said...

Absolutely lovely rolling pins. They are not only practical but provide a lot of opportunity for commentary and look like a love arrangement in your crock. Happy Thanksgivings, xo Marlis

SDQuilter said...

Hi, your masher is a colander pestle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIRRO-ALUMINUM-CANNING-SIEVE-COLANDER-STAND-WOOD-PESTLE-/190552063626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5dc9be8a

What wonderful buys!!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, love the rolling pins. I have my grandmother's green handled rolling pin, and the only reason I know the handles were green is I remember her using it when I was a child. They have very little green left on them. I love those bird plates in your next post! I haven't been to Tues a.m. in so long. Bet the one near me doesn't havev any of those left. Your hutch looks so pretty. laurie

Susie Q said...

I am happy you have a new friend...I admit though that I miss you! I have sent a couple emails and called but don;t seem to hear back. I know you are busy just miss seeing you.
Is Kathy close by? That is great! She sounds fun!
Your yard looks great...I ran by recently hoping to catch you.

Wishing you a sweet Thanksgiving Day!
Love,Sue

Brynwood Needleworks said...

I also love rolling pins. I have one with red handles that belonged to my mother-in-law and it's beautiful. I also have one of the wooden potato mashers that was a gift from my "almost mother-in-law" (with whom I am still great friends. They're two of my special treasures.
Happy Thanksgiving!
xoxo
Donna

xinex said...

How exciting to meet a blogging friend, Sue! I can imagine how much of a good time you had
together. I love your rolling pin collection and masher. Your photos look wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving!..Christine

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Sue...another central Ohio blogger here. How cools that the two of you met, and what a coincidence that you went to Tipp City. My husband I and just met friends there yesterday to visit the shops and have dinner--cute, cute place, with lots of nice shops! Your masher probably went with a conical sieve called a chinois. This is a really neat collection of rolling pins! Hope to meet you at an Ohio gathering soon!

Twice as Nice said...

Sue, Thanks for stopping by. Life has been a little crazy busy. My MIL went to the nursing home after surgery for septic shock only to return less than 2 weeks later and had part of her colon removed and repaired. The colon didn't start working like it should and then she got pneumonia and back into ICU she went. Then her liver started shutting down and she was turning yellow. The doc gave her 2 days. Four days later she back at the nursing home. Two weeks later she needed a blood transfusion and now we think she is within weeks of coming home! It has been a long 4 months of daily visits and hours spent by her beside when things were bad. I actually went 3 months without a washer because it broke days before all of this happened and we couldn't seem to find the time to purchase one. Of course the fridge was acting up at the same time and got to 60 degrees twice, so that was replaced too. But through it all we are very thankful and blessed. Hopefully life will return to some what normal soon. She lives next door to us and when she comes home the real work will begin so we will see! HA Have a blessed holiday. Fran

Sharing with Sherri said...

Hi Sue, How great that you could get together with Kathy for a fun shopping trip, I checked out her blog and she DID find some nice treasures!
Your rolling pins look great in the crock too... I went through a rolling pin collecting phase myself, I think they just remind me of all the wonderful smells that come from the kitchen after baking!!
Hope you have a VERY happy Thanksgiving my friend!
Hugs!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I really like how you have your rolling pins displayed in that crock. How nice that you got to meet another blogger.Sounds like you two have a lot in common.

Angie said...

I'm a sucker for old wood too, so these lovely old rolling pins look gorgeous to me!

I hope you'll link them up at Knick of Time Tuesday - the party starts in just a few minutes!
http://knickoftimeinteriors.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time Interiors

A Vintage Green said...

Loved your rolling pins. I have put a link in my tomorrow's post to your rolling pins post. Hope that is ok with you.
- Joy
avintagegreen.blogspot.com

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Sue~I'm b-a-c-k to making my visits...finally! i just wanted to take a minute at this season of renewed hope and gratitude to personally thank you for your visits and kind words, especially with the loss of my kitty Angel. I wish I could convey to you how much your continued friendship means to me. You're always so generous to share a big part of your hearts passion through your wonderful posts. I look forward to each and every visit.

I got to read Kathy's post about your meeting and ventures. There such a kinship with us bloggers. i imagine meeting up in person is like taking up with an old friend...it's truly special to have that opportunity... I hope to experience someday.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Many Blessings to you and your love ones this Thanksgiving..Hugs and smiles Gloria

Town and Country Gals said...

Sue,
Sounds like you had a great time with your new friend! It's so fun to actually meet bloggy friends, I've been lucky enough to do the same! Your rolling pin "collection" (that's right, you now have a collection, lol) is wonderful! Interesting how all of a sudden something new starts calling our name!
Thanks so much for stopping by, I will be back to visit!
Happy TK!
Rebecca

vicki said...

Hi Sue-
I've ended up here at your beautiful blog quite by accident- don't you love when that happens. I see in your profile that you live near Columbus-- we're practically neighbors- I'm a KY girl.

Who would have ever thought that vintage rolling pins could photograph so beautifully? Outstanding photography Sue. I'm really so impressed with your lovely pictures-- your vintage finds-- this is a wonderful place to visit. Your passion for your creative blogging shows- I love this blog!

I'm going to be your newest follower, yea!
Have a wonderful holiday week---
Vicki

Rettabug said...

You have such a wonderful way of arranging even the simplest of items, Sue!

Hope your shoulder/arm are feeling better. I may need help to lift tomorrow's turkey!

Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving & may I wish you a slightly early "Happy Birthday", in case my mentalpausal brain lets me forget on the 26th?

Hugs,
Rett

The Tablescaper said...

What a marvelous collection.

- The Tablescaper

Honey at 2805 said...

How great that you and Kathy got to meet! The rolling pin collection is so neat gathered in the crock!

You have inspired me as I've been wondering the best way to display mine. Guess what? I also have a crock!

Thanks for sharing your lovely post at Potpourri Friday!

Sarah said...

Fun collection and how nice that you two can now spend time together. ;-)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

How nice to "click" with a blog friend! It sound slike you ahve many more outings in your future. :)

The rolling pins make a beautiful vignette on your kitchen counter, Sue. They were such a fabulous price! I'd never find anything vintage around here at such a wonderful price.

Kathleen said...

I am so glad you are hitting it off with Kathy! I told her not to mention the hat you always wear with the little bird cage on it. After all, it is only a hat, and it is a great way to take your pet bird along for the fun! :)
Love your rolling Pindar. Dh would say cuss words if I ever soaked his super duper rolling pin. Just wipe with a dMp cloth, and dry thoroughly.

Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Sue, thanks for sharing this post with me. I missed it when you originally posted it. Wow, that is so funny, it looks like we went shopping together. I really like the crock yoe used for the rolling pins as well.