Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Classic Black and White

 

After a couple of weeks of seeing green and rust in the kitchen hutch, I decided to change the décor last week. I needed a simpler and  cleaner color palette to work with, and in my book, there’s nothing more classic than black and white. So out came my new bird themed dessert plates from Tuesday Morning. I could only find four at the store near me, so I should probably check out another location to see if I can at least find four more.

 

bird plate 1

There were two designs and I was lucky enough to find a pair of each.

 

 

bird plate 2

 

 

 

layered plates

I placed each one in front of a white Gibson dinner plate.

 

 

top  shelf

Then I brought out some black bowls to complement the layered plates. Bessie the Bovine still holds her place of honor in the middle of the shelf. 

 

 

cow butter dish

Here’s a close-up of her in another setting.

 

 

 

 

For a bit of color, green goblets from the Christmas Tree Shop were added in. They tie together well with the green Bordallo Pinheiro plate on the middle shelf.

 

 

 

turkey plate

The turkey plate was layered over a small tin platter embellished with little roses. I have a similar plate that I use in the spring- it has a bunny rabbit on it.

 

 

 

birdies and turkey

The Target birds are came out to play once again. They are such a versatile pair of fine feathered friends!

 

 

shelf 1

The buffet top holds my newest white addition- I finally found a cow creamer! It’s not vintage- in fact, it was a $1.99 find at the CTS. I’ve been looking for one for months- who knew I would run into one when I was least expecting to? 

 

 

cow creamer

 

 

 

 

.

cream bottle

This cream bottle came from a booth at the Rural Society show a few weeks ago.  Another bargain at only $2.00!

 

 

cream bottle 2

It’s placed off to the side of the crazed soup tureen and the small ceramic hand.

 

 

faucet  andles

More treasures from the Rural Society show came from my friend, Pam’s booth. I love the simplicity of these old faucet handles. 

 

Here’s the simpler, less cluttered looking hutch now.

hutch1

                                                                                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to admit  that I am chomping at the bit to start decorating for Christmas, already!  The bug bit me last weekend when I was shopping at the White Cottage in Newark. You can see that post here.  Every year I say that I’m going to start earlier so that I can really enjoy the fruits of my labor and not rush around so much. So often, by the time I get out all of the decorations and put up all seven trees, I can only savor it for a week or two.  This really IS the year for starting early!!!

 

 

Please visit the following parties to see some great inspiration!

Potpourri Party         Inspiration Friday Graphic     stuff and nonsense     vintage inspiration button     wow us wed.

38 comments:

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, lovey you should start now so you can truly relax and enjoy. I think I have said how much I like that big black buffet and in B&W it truly sings. hugs♥O

Pam said...

Those bird plates are gorgeous. Love the black and white look.

Miss Char said...

Very pretty Sue, I can see there is a trip to TM for me to see about those bird plates, they're lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I really like the black and white together. Plus it is so easy to change out the third color such as the green to a red or yellow to an entirely different look. Looks great!
I never did get any decorating done for Fall/Thanksgiving - Sure hope I can do better for Christmas. :(

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks lovely, Sue! That place by me had a cow, too. I don't remember if it was a creamer also. I noticed it because I had worked with a client before we moved and she loved cows. I remember thinking it would have been perfect for her.

I have to get all my Christmas bins from my daughter's garage. I never feel ready to decorate until around Thanksgiving week. This year I'm sure I'll wait until my normal Friday after Thanksgiving. I just hope I'm in the mood after all the unpacking I've done!

Susan said...

Sue your black and white is lovely. I have the same white cow creamer/gravy bowl.

A Hint of Home said...

I love your new dishes and your hutch looks fresh and clean.
Sorry you got the bug last week. lol
I need to get bit by it and get energized to start Christmas decorating.
I think I'm packing up Fall things tomorrow.

Salmagundi said...

I really like those black & white bird plates -- they look wonderful with the white dishes and the touch of green. I'm anxious to start on the Christmas stuff, too. I think I'll start Saturday moving furniture around to make room for the trees!!! Sally

The Vintage Chateau said...

I love your display. I did the same thing this week, took out all of the autumn colors and replaced them with black and white! We're going away for Thanksgiving so I figured I'd go for something "fresher" for now!
Karee

Cottage and Broome said...

Love the black & white bird plates, they are a classic. Will be you newest follower, Laura - Cottage and Broome

NanaDiana said...

Those black and white bird plates are absolutely beautiful. I have never seen any quite like them. They are great! xo Diana

La said...

It looks fantastic, Sue. The turkey plate is beautiful.

Jo said...

I love the black and white! It looks great

The DIY Show Off said...

Gorgeous! I love white dinnerware and Bessie is just so sweet! Great find, beautiful display!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love those plates, Sue and I see you have a cow butter dish just like mine.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I love that combination of black and white with just a little green! I do love that green turkey plate! 7 trees!! Well, I have 3 but 2 of them are little ones. Have fun!~Hugs, Patti

Nook & Cranny said...

I so love your four bird plates. Hopefully you will be able to locate more of those. I would purchase those up in a Manhattan minute.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

thestonerabbit said...

Happy Saturday!!!

I love your black hutch...I have several pieces of black furniture now! Your dishes look great in the way you arranged them....I'm lusting after the turkey plates!! :)

Oh my, what a wonderful trip to the White Cottage!! I saw so many items that would look mighty fine in my house!!

Hope all is well with you!! My hamstring is "coming along" after the pounding I did to it 2 weeks ago....haven't been all out running since, however, this morning, I slowly jogged a bit while "walking" the gr. dog (she wanted to go lots faster!!!) and it didn't hurt. I am continuing to avoid really strenuous workouts and am just gently stretching it each day....no longer have to apply ice or heat to it and I can set on my right butt cheek without pain...a plus when driving!

Gotta go "treasure hunt" for a sale I'm in soon!

Happy Weekend!!

dana

Carol said...

Very pretty, I love the black and white look. Funny when you don't look, you find, cool creamer!

Lady Pamela said...

I am loving the B&W bird plates. Would you mind looking on the back for the manufacturer. We don't have the same stores here in Canada that you have access to in the USA. Thanks so much. I am going to try to get 2 of them.

Theresa said...

Hi Sue, I've been out of pocket for a while and I've missed a lot. Your little bird plates are so cute. We have a Tuesday Morning's too but, I forget about it. I guess because I don't drive by it all the time (the old "out of sight, out of mind" thing). Wow, if you put up SEVEN trees you should start in September and decorate one a week. That way you might get to enjoy them for a few weeks. lol :) I can't wait to see them though.

Blessings,
Theresa

Simone said...

I love what you have done here! Black and White is my absolute favourite, I love how eclectic your display is, co ordinating the colour allows you to add so much "quirkiness" in the detail, just lovely!

Babs said...

Black and white is a great combination. It works so well with your hutch. Love the darling bird plates and the touches of green. Have a great evening.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

I love this, Sue! I adore your bird plates! Everything looks amazing! I love the black and white!

life...just saying said...

What a great blog. I love the pics, especially the hutch and the cream bottle! New follower.

Sue said...

I love the faucet handles....and I have Tuesday Mornings on every corner down here if you would like me to look for more of those plates for you just send me an e-mail.....I know you would "LOVE" to have more.......

Mimi said...

Love the way you accessorized.

Honey at 2805 said...

Your black and white display is lovely! The bird plates are so sweet and I adore the creamer!

Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Hello Sue,
LOVE those beautiful bird plates!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Ivy and Elephants said...

The plates are really gorgeous. They can be used in so many different combinations. Really versatile! The hutch looks gorgeous. Great job!
Hugs,
Patti

Sherry said...

I love your white! The dessert plates are absolutely charming.

Thank you for dropping by an commenting on my blog.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Sweet Sue!!!

So happy you popped over... thanks for the kind words on my little cabinet. I've learned my lesson, for sure, about mahogany. Yikes.

Love your black cabinet too...... And all of your yummy things. Love Tuesday Morning.... Great plates. ;-)

xo
Spence

Nancy @ Nancy's Daily Dish said...

The black and white bird plates are so pretty! I love anything with birds but how striking they are in black and white.

Nancy

Nancy @ Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Oh, and I saw some of those green majolica (?) turkey plates just like yours...and they had a rabbit one to. I was soooo tempted but managed to refrain from buying...especially seeing as I didn't have the money! lol They are gorgeous!

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Just plain Classy, Sue, not to mention pretty. That Bessie is a beauty! Can't wait to see all of the Christmas decor. Did you say 7 tree's??????

Rettabug said...

How pretty this all looks, Sue! GREAT job & I can't wait to see your Christmas decorations.

Bummer on your fall...Ugh! I hope you're healing fast. My wrist will allow me just short bursts on the 'puter but I had to come see what you were up to.

Hugs & Happy T. Day,
Rett

Jemsmom said...

Your hutch is gorgeous. I love the black and white with pops of green. So classy and elegant yet the pieces are rich with a feeling of home. I would love to decorate, but I just feel like I am giving Thanksgiving the short end of the stick! We are going home for Thanksgiving so I won't decorate that weekend, but will do it all the next week! Wooo hooo!!!

Katherines Corner said...

love it all and really love the plates!! xo