Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Weekend Trip to the Farm

 

 

I’m not one to pass up a barn sale and here in Ohio, we have our share of them!  The husband and I drove up to Mt. Vernon early Friday morning to hit the Rural Society Antique Show. The sun wasn’t up yet and didn’t make its appearance until about an hour into the trip. But when it did, this is what we saw…..

 

on the road 3

Just look at the mist on the field.

 

on the road

  I took these shots from inside the car as we were tooling down the country roads. It was so ethereal and magical… 

 

barn

When we reached the barn sale in the rolling countryside outside of Mt. Vernon, we were greeted by oodles of pumpkins, flowers, and gourds outside the barn.

 

barn2

The fragrance of Sweet Annie was prevalent both outside the barn, as well as inside. It’s so fragrant- sweet and earthy.

 

sweet annie

 

 

 

 

 

old truck

The old jalopy truck evidently still runs~ it got parked here to greet visitors!

 

jar carrier

This is one of the things that I passed up. Why? Heavens, I can’t figure it out! I kept coming back to it but decided against it. This is the real deal. Over the weekend I saw a few reproductions at just a few dollars under the asking price of  this one.  Will I ever learn?

 

basket

I was enamored with this long basket, but I’m about basket-ed out! It would look wonderful with seasonal florals in it, wouldn’t it?

 

drying rack

This was such a cool piece- it’s a drying rack.  Don’t know what it could be re-purposed as, but it sure was cool.

 

cow

I’m a big fan of bovines so I had to check  out this framed picture. But at $279, it was a bit pricey for me.

 

breadboard

Ever since I bought my old wooden pizza paddle last year, I’ve been on the look-out for a reasonably priced breadboard. Unfortunately, this one didn’t fit that criteria. Guess I’ll just keep looking. Too bad the yard sales are fading fast around here….

 

bowl

Ok, what are these things? I love them! 

 

demi-johns

Guess what were among some of my purchases?

 

bicycle   

Doesn’t this look like something you’d see along the French countryside?

 

Kathy and Pam

Met up with a couple of Buckeye Bloggers while shopping. Pam, on the left, had a booth of vintage items at the sale.  And Kathy was there shopping with her gal pals.

 

Pam, Kathy, me

I let some lady take our picture when she volunteered. I asked if she knew how to use a DSLR and she answered that she did. Okay……..  Needless to say, I was a little concerned after it took her several minutes to do so!  I saw so many people at the show wearing boots. Pam and Kathy both had theirs on. I don’t have a pair of Wellies, but I’ll be looking for a pair real soon. I slipped on a patch of mud walking up the hill from the parking area, went down on both knees, and fell flat on my face. ouch.  I felt like the lady on the crazy commercial who cries, “Help, I’ve fallen and can’t get up!” My first instinct was to protect the new camera!  Only me…..   My bruises are  turning yellow now, so I must be healing!

 

husband

And where was this guy when I was going up that hill? Already making his way into a booth to shop!

 

 

tent

 

 

 

numbered metal boxes

 

 

 

 

rooster

Colorful roo. Do you see that three-tier metal display holder in the background? I want one of those and I bet I could create one and save myself the three digit price point at this booth!

After spending a couple of hours at the sale, we drove down to Granville and had lunch with Debby, another Buckeye Blogger that I met up with last week at the French Hen Farm sale. Here she is below in a pic I “borrowed” off of her blog. She made it to the sale on Saturday and met up with a few Buckeye Blogger friends, too.

                                                                                                                            debby2

 

 

I’ll be back real soon to show you what I found here and at the French Hen Farm sale.  Til then, enjoy fall!

 

Linking to:

      Photobucket

30 comments:

Pam said...

Looks like a great sale! I almost feel like I didn't go to the same one as you did (although we were there almost at the same time) because I didn't see HALF of that stuff! I need to start drinking coffee or something so I can pay attention.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

This looks like such fun!!! Sans the fall! We do not have barn sales in my neck of the woods and I do not know why!!! We NEED to! lol I am going to the Country Living Fair this Friday in Atlanta and I am excited about that, but no barn sales in my foreseeable future!

Can't wait to see what you got!

Lou Cinda

lilraggedyangie said...

Sue ,
Finally made it over for a visit , great blog looks like alot of great window shopping this weekend ! Love those wrapped wine bottles ! Its always seems everything I want is way overpriced for my budget as well , o well theres always the next stop ! Have a great week! hugs lilraggedyangie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Ouch! Sorry you fell - glad you did not get hurt real bad.
Those are mashers in the bowl. I use to have a couple - think I gave them to my daughter. Did you buy a demijohn ? :)

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Oh Sue...I have to tell you that C fell down I think in the same exact spot as you on Sat! He was taking something back to the van for me and tried to jump over that ditch and landed on all fours! i was in a barn shopping when it happened! I seen a lady carrying around that cow painting and those wooden things are pestles to grind stuff with. I bought a rusted metal milk carrier at Kathy's show for $18! Saturday some of the vendors were marking down prices. I am going to do a post soon on what I got. It certainly was a gorgeous day on Saturday for a drive in the country!~Hugs, Patti

Barbara F. said...

What cool stuff! The shots from your car window are beautiful. I see a lot of things I like there. The cow photo, the long basket, the drying rack. Couldn't come up with a use except to store platters and trays if they are flat enough. A great way to spend a Saturday. xo

Debby said...

I think alot must have sold by the time I got there. That's okay because it would have been even more tempting.
I saw the cow picture leave with its new owner. That was a great picture.
Sorry you fell.
Lunch and visiting was fun.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like a great sale and sounds like you had fun Sue (minus the fall). Looking forward to seeing what you picked up:@)

Polly said...

Finally some photos! I never made it there this time but it looks wonderful! Wish you hadn't fallen, that is no fun at all. Glad you didn't get hurt!!

Miss Char said...

Looks like a great way to spend a weekend Sue...minus the nasty fall. We don't have this type of barn sales in my area either but I've been to a couple in Ohio and they were great fun. And....the pictures you took of the early morning and just breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, what fun. Love that cow picture and they do cost a bit don't they? How great to meet up with other bloggers.

seelamade said...

Hi Sue - what a lovely blog! I'm so excited to have met you (and your blog). I had no idea there were so many 'buckeye' bloggers around. I can't wait to spend some time reading through your blog! Best - Kaytie

ReFresh ReStyle said...

What a great day, I would love to go to a sale like this!
Debbie

awal.ny said...

What a great sale. I am wishing we had more of them in our area. I love that cow painting too.

All That Glitters said...

That loos like a beautiful sale! Get you some boots girly! I'm worried my feet will sweat like crazy!

Pat said...

That early morning light is wonderful! Love those shots, Sue.

This would have been such a fun day for J and me! Loved seeing it all.

Those wooden things are mashers, I believe. I have one. I love that old woodware stuff!

Lori said...

Well worth the trip. What a wonderful market. My favorite pic the overflowing truck of pumpkins.

Susie Q said...

Wat a great day! I wish I had realized it was last weekend. I had Friday free for once! Maybe next year...
I am so sorry you fell! That is the sort of thing *I do!!
Love,
Sue

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, your images are wonderful. That first one with the church and fog is especially pretty but I also really dig pumpkins, baskets, and all the other stuff you like. hugs♥O

Jemsmom said...

Glad you saved the camera in your fall! You know what is important! Seriously though, glad you are o.k. That is always an embarrassing thing! So many cool things to see! I can't wait to see you make your own three tiered stand! You can do it! Those pictures with all the pumpkins and the fog...Gorgeous!!!

Zuni said...

Hi, Sue. A fellow central Ohioan here...so happy to have found you, thanks to Cindy (Custom Comforts). I'm your newest follower; can't wait to connect with you and other local bloggers. I'm so sorry to have missed this barn sale...can't wait till the next one. Your pictures of it convey the feeling so well, and your pictures of the countryside are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I loved hearing about your adventures at this barn sale. We don't have those in our part of the country, but I wish they did. How great to meet up with fellow bloggers.

bj said...

ouch...! so sorry about your fall. I hate doing that. Glad you are ok.

Sounds like you had a fun day, anyway.
Lots of good looking things here.

Me, too, on wanting one of these enamel house signs...I have tried and tried to win, but no such luck...YET.
Good luck to you on winning on my giveaway.:)

Karena said...

Sue,

So many great finds and decisions to make. I love it that you ran into so many blog friends. I need some wellies too!

Oh I have a Designer Pillows Giveaway! I hope you will join! ( a great resource as well)

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Sheets on the line, love in my heart. said...

sue,
thanks for taking us with you on your trip. it was so much fun seeing all the items in your pictures.
blessings,
rebecca

Honey at 2805 said...

Your images are beautiful! And the sale...how terrific! I want to go!!

Pam @ Frippery said...

What fun that was! We have to get together again soon Sue!

Katherines Corner said...

What a wonderful way to spend some time. Absolutely loved all of the photos. Sorry to hear about the bruises, glad you are on the mend. Hugs!!

McMaster and Storm said...

oh, I wanted to go--BUT, so hard with 3 littles.....maybe in the spring....glad I got to see pics!
kara

Janet said...

That certainly looks like a fun sale...Ohio has all the fun stuff or so it seems :)