Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Night Views of the Backyard

 

 

Took a few pictures of the backyard all lit up last week. It is such a treat to walk outside and see the yard’s transformation.

bridge2

You can access the lower patio from the north side of the yard by way of stepping stones or by crossing the stone bridge. This is one massive piece of stone sitting on the steps!

 

looking north to bridge

We had the bridge lit from underneath so you can see the stream flowing underneath it.

 

looking west to woods

Knockout roses fill the area between the bridge and the small patio near the fence.

 

sycamores

We have the option to control the spotlights on the two large sycamore trees, since they are both up-lit and down-lit. We turn off the down-lights when we’re using the fire-pit, since there’s more ambience that way.

 

small round patio

I love the look of the new cedar fence and would love to keep it this way, but we’re going to let it weather naturally so it will match the fence on the opposite side of the yard.

 

view towards lower patio

This is the view looking down onto the lower patio and fire-pit. I wish I could remember to take a picture of one of our blazing fires- we always seem to be too preoccupied when we’re down there.  

 

 

red maple

A small red maple tree was planted to replace the one that had to be removed to put in the retaining wall for the waterfall. It’ll take a while for it to fill out and give us some shade, but we get to enjoy its autumn color in the meantime.

 

nightview of waterfall wall

The culmination of the stream is this waterfall into a pond-less basin. The sound of the water splashing onto the rocks is just so soothing.

                                                                                                             ********

Just a reminder that there is still time to get in on the opportunity to win a rolled 16x20 canvas print, with your choice of artwork or photo. Click on the link below to visit that post and enter.  

 

                                                                                                                                             uprinting giveaway                                                                      

 

 

Linking up with :

 

                                   Photobucket                    

26 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Gorgeous-Gorgeous-Gorgeous! I love outside lighting at night! Yours is wonderful. It is funny to look and see that you still have leaves and color..ours is mostly gone now. Enjoy your Sunday- xo Diana

Barbara F. said...

Just beautiful! I could spend hours out there. Have a great week. xo

Blondie's Journal said...

Everything looks so pretty at night!! I hope we have an Indian summer so you can enjoy more time in your own little paradise! Great night pictures...how do you do it?

XO,
Jane

Stacey said...

Sue, your yard is just beautiful. I've had my windows open all morning listening to our waterfall. It is the best sound. If your yard is like ours, it will get prettier and prettier with time. The best money we've ever spent on our house.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! I LOVE your waterfall! Martina

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Just beautiful Sue! Everything looks perfect-enjoy these gorgeous fall evenings:@)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Your yard is just beautiful, Sue! Love the use of stone and the lighting really sets everything off wonderfully.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, it looks like more photos from a magazine shoot. Absolutely stunning. I know you are enjoying it. laurie

Susanne said...

Hello Sue. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Your back yard patio and surrounding area looks like the perfect place to enjoy an evening and relax. It also sounds like fun to meet up with fellow Ohio bloggers. I will keep this in mind maybe on down the road when life is not so hectic for me. Hope you have a great week. We are suppose to be getting rain the next few days....good ole Ohio :)

Really Rainey said...

Very beautiful back yard... I love that last photo too.... I can imagine how wonderful it sounds...

Have a Great Week!
~Rainey~ @ The Project Table

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Fabulous place! Great shots. Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Lori E said...

I could see us sitting down the path at the little table and laughing our butts off until the wee hours. Such a pretty spot.
Wish I could join in the Uprinting thing but they don't ship to Canada any more. I used to do their giveaways on my blog regularly.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I know you are really enjoying your new space. I was thinking about doing something different in my courtyard, but not til next Spring - will see.
Don't enter me in the generous giveaway - I am still trying to clear out here.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Sue Sweetie...
I hope you don't mind, I am still sitting in one of those chairs and SO enjoying the sound of the water. So peaceful and such beauty surrounding you. Love that little red maple tree. Does it not scream "BEAUTY"?

Each little step takes you to another glorious place to sit and meditate. I can see why you spend so much time outdoors.

You and DH put a LOT of love, thought and creation into this backyard. Just beautiful sweet friend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Oh it's so lovely, and I love the lights shining on the trees. I hope you get to spend lots of time out here.

Claire said...

Sue -fyi you can find looking glass spray paint on Amazon! Claire

Eileen said...

What a gorgeous space you have there. i love how it looks with the lights on the trees. and that waterfall!! Just beautiful.

Sue said...

Hi Sue...the backyard looks terrific....you have lots of plants!!! We just finished having ours landscaped and lit....I am not thrilled with the lighting that the guy did...some of the trees look good with uplights but behind our spa it's a bit on the dark side....He is coming back when the fireplace is done and I'm hoping he'll so a better job lighting that....this backyard makeover is getting exhausting!!...not to mention very costly....The Boss is ready to kill me if I mention one more thing needs to be done...
As for the CL Fair....all I can say is OYE!
everything was overpriced....there was not much primitive stuff....alot of holiday stuff....but the worst was that horrible food...I figure next year I will go on Sunday....hoping they will bargain just not to have to bring all that crap home....and I will bring a blanket and my own picnic lunch.....no more $4.00 bad hot dogs...LOL

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

So pretty, Sue...especially the water feature! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Babs said...

Sue, your backyard is just beautiful in the daytime, and at night with the accent lighting. Great photo of your water feature. So pretty.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
It's just as pretty at night time...still lovin' all that WATER!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Pam @ Frippery said...

Sue, What a stunning retreat space. You lucky girl!

Rettabug said...

Oh my, Sue...it looks positively magical in your back yard now! What a fantastic transformation! I know you'll enjoy this space for years to come.

Are you thinking about how you'll decorate out there for Christmas? A whole new *room* to play with.

We've got white frost all over everything this morning. Of course, I'm supposed to go watch Ms. C. parade around her school in costume today. Digging out the hat & gloves. :-(

Warm hugs,
Rett

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Your yard looks amazing!
Love all the rocks and details. The levels AND the waterfall.
I had a small water feature in our patio berm and had to take it out when we got out black lab a few years ago. She thought it was her own puppy playground!
Oh how I have missed the trickling water sounds in the summers since!

Gorgeous, Sue!

TracyMB @ Crow's Feet Chic said...

What gorgeous night shots of your beautiful space -- and things are GREEN! No luck of that here. Love your fall interior decorating too! :)

Pam said...

I am so ridiculously behind in visiting my blogging friends. This week has just totally gotten away from me. But I had to stop and tell you that the lighting is quite impressive. I always love the look of outdoor lights. Love that waterless pond.