Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Fall Inspired Kitchen

 

 

kitchen1

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

.hutch1

I’ve “fall-ified” the kitchen/eating area a little bit. Most of the time, the hutch is filled with white and accented with a small amount of color. For fall, I’ve used the traditional fall colors of rust and green for the main items. The top of the hutch didn’t change, though.  I couldn’t find anything in rust and green that fit up there!


.

 

 

hutch2

I fronted the dinner plates with leaf plates that could easily be used for salad or dessert. I found them at Wal Mart last year. The bowls match the plates and they all came from Kroger for $1 apiece.

 

 

 

hutch4

More stacked plates, topped with pitchers, are on this shelf.

 

 

 

hutch5

 

 

 

 

 

hutch6

I accented the stoneware tureen with two cabbage plates on each side of it.

 

.

crackled finish tureen

 

 

 

 

 

hutch3

The middle shelf holds a sweet bunny plate.

 

 

bunny plate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

run4

There isn’t a lot of cabinetry- just an L-shaped run with the ovens, sink, dishwasher, and refrigerator. To make up for the small kitchen area, I have two really large pantries. I figured out that the storage inside of them is equivalent to having twelve- 24” wide cabinetry units!  The cabinet fronts were glazed about 10 years ago to make them look old and French-inspired. I’m contemplating lightening them up, using ASCP in Old White and some dark wax. If I do that, the wallpaper will probably go away, as will the countertops. It’s time for a change!

 

 

 

 

pantries

The pantries are behind both sets of double doors. One is eight feet wide and the other is nine feet wide. They are both two feet deep.  I think that more than makes up for the lack of cabinets in the kitchen area, don’t you?

 

 

 

 

island2

My “fall-ified” island holds a glass pumpkin filled with popcorn kernels and a candle, some white pumpkins, a wire basket, and a wood sugar mold. I found the old pumpkin at my favorite Tipp City shop two weeks ago. My SIL, Bette, informed me that it was a Dunkin Doughnuts container. It’s from the 70’s! Yikes- it’s amazing to think that things from that era are vintage now!

 

 

 

sugar mold

 

 

 

 

 

wire basket2

 

 

 

 

 

wire basket

A French inspired wire basket holds a baby white pumpkin, a potted plant, and a decoupaged bottle.

 

 

 

 

mr. crow

A primitive crow is planted in the ivy.

 

 

 

 

etagere

The etagere stayed dressed in her whites. The only thing I changed out was the cloche.

 

 

 

etagere

A simple dried hydrangea bloom replaced the cherub that was here before.

 

 

 

I’ll leave you with the view from the kitchen window….  We love our newly landscaped backyard, with its stream and waterfall!

kitchen window view

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                I’m linking to the following parties:

   

                  

                                                                                                       cottage and vine                                                                                                                               wow us wed.

                                           I’m joining Rene at Cottage and Vine for her Room by Room Party. She’s featuring kitchens this week.                                                        Kim’s participants always WOW us.

 

 

                                                                                                 Potpourri Party                                                                                             Inspiration Friday Graphic

                                                                                   Honey at 2805 always has a great party on Fridays.                                                                              Heather and Vanessa host such great parties.

 

 

                                                                                              vintage inspiration button                                                                          Seasonal Sunday Teapot resized_thumb[3]

                                                                                                    Debra never fails to inspire.                                                                                             There are always beautiful tables at the Tablescapers..

                                                                             

 

                                                                                               nifty thrifty tuesdays                                                                                       Table Top Tuesday

                                                                         You will find lots of thrifty and charming finds at Linda’s party.                                        Find lots of tabletop inspiration at Marty’s.

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                 SuburbiaTuesdaysTreasuresButton

                                                                            Kristin’s participants always have such pretty things to show us.

 

59 comments:

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Beautiful Sue! Love the crazing on that tureen....so pretty! I still love your wallpaper, and I COVET your pantries! COVET!

And that view!! Stunning!!

Lou Cinda :)

Barbara F. said...

Gorgeous! Elegant yet warm and inviting, love your colors. xo

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a warm and welcoming kitchen. I love the warm colors of it.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty and warm looking - you did a great job! Would love to have a couple of pantries that large.

At The Picket Fence said...

We are kindred spirits Sue! I have that same exact lamp (actually a pair of them) and that same glass pumpkin! :-) I think your kitchen is positively beautiful and so warm and cozy. That pantry space is amazing and I just love how everything is dressed up for Fall!
Vanessa
P.S. Thanks for the sweet comment today!

Debby said...

Your kitchen is so warm and COZY. I love the colors and the wallpaper. I wouldn't change anything.

Jo said...

Love the hutch and all the different colors. I think I would prefer the pantries to cabinets

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautiful kitchen! It's so warm and welcoming. Love all your little touches! Stopped by from Coastal Charm, Martina

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Your kitchen is so warm. I love wallpaper and have it in my kitchen, too! I am your newest follower. Please stop by and visit when you have a chance.

Stacey said...

I just love your kitchen and look at that view!! Gorgeous.

Geneva said...

What a beautiful Autumn inspired kitchen. It looks so cozy and definitely user friendly! I really enjoyed this post and all the lovely pictures!

Alicia said...

You have such a beautiful, spacious kitchen and dining area Sue! I love it!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You have a wonderful view out your window! And the colors of your kitchen are just perfect for Fall decor! I love these rich colors! ♥

Pam said...

I love your wallpaper. I was thinking it was new, but I guess I just wasn't paying close enough attention to it before. It's great that you can change up your hutch with the different seasons.

Babs said...

Sue, your plate colors are great and I like your sugar mold candle holder and chicken wire basket. My chicken wire basket if full of pine cones and sort of brown and boring. Do you mind if I borrow your idea?

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Sue, your kitchen is fabulous as are your pictures to show us. I felt like I was there! WOW you have the fallified touch for sure.

Honey at 2805 said...

Love your kitchen & the wallpaper! Isn't that a grand view into the backyard? Do you lik it? ;)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

The colors in your kitchen create such a cozy atmosphere. Thanks for inviting us in.

NanaDiana said...

You know- I read that you are talking about changing things out but what you have is timeless, really. But I understand about getting tired of things. That wallpaper is PERFECT for Fall, isn't it? It makes me think of Bittersweet. I love it and would be so comfortable sitting there with you drinking a cuppa coffee and chatting. You DO have coffee, don't you?;>) xo Diana

White Whimsy said...

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love all the fall touches you have added.

blessedmom's simple home said...

I love your kitchen! So warm and inviting. It's pretty big compared to mine. I'd love to have those big pantries too :)
Have a great week Sue.
Blessings,
Marcia

farmlady said...

This is a lovely kitchen. The change is wonderful for Fall.
I really like those cabbage plates and the bunny plate. They add just enough green to the browns and oranges.
Happy Autumn!

bj said...

I love that wallpaper but I know change is good, too.
Your colors are so warm and inviting.

KAT said...

Hi Sue
Send me your mailing address so I can send off your tiny bird. I tried to send emails about this but I do not think they worked for some reason. Thanks for entering my giveaway. Love your cozy autumn decor !

-KAT of Kat's Nature

Susie Q said...

I love it and you know I love the wallpaper too! Change is fun bt I so love your kitchen how it is!! One of my favorites. : )
I miss seeing you...hopefully that Tuesday in Nov? I Fall-i-fied a bit too so hope it is still Fall when you come over! *laugh*

Love,
Sue

Marlis said...

Your pantries are every woman's dreams.. so wonderful that you have them. I love the changes you've made to bring fall into the kitchen. Your kitchen is lovely! xo marlis

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Everything is just gorgeous Sue!!!
XO
Kristin

ReFresh ReStyle said...

I was thinking this kitchen is beautiful and when I see the view--oh my goodness it's magnificent. Love all your dishes and the popcorn idea is great!
Debbie

Rene said...

Isn't it amazing what you can find at Walmart? Love your dishes.

Thanks so much for posting the giveaway on your sidebar. Also thanks for sharing your kitchen in the Room By Room series!

Rene

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Gorgeous!! And I love your new outdoor area. It's all so wonderful and I am sure you are enjoying it so much. Love the hutch and especially the cabbage plates and the tureen, beautiful.

Blondie's Journal said...

I am totally in LOVE with your kitchen!! The hutch is fantastic and I want that island!! You've done a wonderful job decorating for gall and Halloween. Everything looks just perfect!!

XO,
Jane

Love the new plates, too!

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nook & Cranny said...

Love the wooden box with the pots of candles. Looks warm and cozy around your kitchen.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Diann said...

Sue, everything is just so beautiful! It all looks warm and inviting! I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, your black hutch looks about eight kinds of awesome no matter what season you adapt it too. I think about painting kitchen cabinets and then think about all that work and just move on. Your kitchen is very cozy and you have those two huge pantries to keep you straight. hugs♥O

kitty said...

So pretty! I LOVE your black hutch! What a warm, cozy home. I'm visiting from Wow Us Wednesday.

The French Hutch said...

Sue you have a great kitchen, and those two double closets are fabulous. I love how you've decorated the hutch. The Fall colors on the dark wood is so rich, warm and inviting. Your accessories are lovely too. I love the Momma and baby pumpkins and the basket. Just lovely..........Have a great evening.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Hi Sue! Saw your post on Wow Us Wednesdays. Your kitchen looks fabulous!! The hutch offers such a great display of your dishes! Everything looks just lovely!

Theresa said...

Thanks for stopping by tonight. I was on your blog yesterday when a friend came to the door, then we went to play Bunco. I always love the way you decorate. And I would give my left arm (well almost,lol) for your black shelf hanging on your wall leading into your kitchen. Where did you get it? And great minds think alike. We're in the process of doing some updating to our kitchen.

Okay, I'll stop talking now. :)

Hugs,
Theresa

Cassie Myers said...

Pantries are way better than cabinets. Love your pantries, love your kitchen, love your Fall!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I love your kitchen, it is so warm and inviting. Your black hutch is similar to mine in the dining room. :-)) Love the sweet lamp on your island and the primitive crow peeking out... What a lovely view you have from your window... hugs ~lynne~

Diane said...

Visiting from Savvy Southern Style and have been enjoying your blog. I am your newest follower, looking forward to upcoming posts. Diane

Michele Smith said...

What a fabulously warm and welcoming kitchen, I love it!!!
Visiting from WOW and a new follower.

Michele

Bunny Jean said...

I sure wish I had that pantry. This new desert house has a little bitty pantry and not that much in the way of cupboards for that matter. I think it was build more as a vacation "snowbird" home.

Thinking about painting my hutch (I just posted about it) black. A bit afraid of the dust ...

Thanks for joining my Bunny Hop party again this week :)
xoxo Bunny Jean
Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

Wow! This is so pretty! Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas.

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh my, I just love your wallpaper! Your kitchen is so inviting, charming and so warm. I'd love to sit and chat with you while looking out that window! That view is heavenly! I'm into green, heavily wooded and I bet's it cool there!

Nancy

Honey at 2805 said...

Your kitchen is beautiful, warm and inviting. I like the idea of have a large pantry instead of cabinets!

I appreciate you linking to Potpourri Friday and help to make the party a success!

Sue said...

Hi Sue....love your kitchen it's so cozy....and you always dress up your hutch so cute for all the seasons....

Toni said...

Your kitchen is fabulous. Love all the white in the etagere. I bought those leaf salad plates this year from WM.

Bonnie said...

Your view is gorgeous from your lovely kitchen. What great fall looks!

All That Glitters said...

Your kitchen is so pretty! We have the same chandy!

All That Glitters said...

Your kitchen is so pretty! We have the same chandy!

Anita said...

Well, this is the first time I am seeing this kitchen, and I LOVE it!!! I love the wallpaper, love the colors, LOVE the dark wood, especially the pantry doors. Then I see you might change it. It stands out from the rest! I just love it all and of course you have styled it so beautifully...lots of great ideas!

Lemon Lane Cottage said...

Your "fallified" kitchen is gorgeous. That black hutch just lends itself to fall decor and I love the white pumpkins! I'm following you know. Patty

Custom Comforts said...

What a beautiful home you have Sue! I think this is the first time I have really seen many pictures, but then I haven't been doing much blogging lately. Everything looks so warm and inviting.
Cindy

Debra @ Common Ground said...

What a great kitchen you have, and your pantries are super amazing!! I'm really drooling over that wonderful ironstone crazed tureen, just beautiful, thanks so much for linking up to VIF, xo

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Such a lovely and charming room. I love the colors! The lamp on the island is such a nice touch, I have been looking for one but haven't found it yet, yours is perfect. All georgous!

The Tablescaper said...

Love all of the goodies in your hutch.

- The Tablescaper

Pam @ Frippery said...

Just catching up Sue. Wow what a stunning kitchen! I would kill for those pantries. I really mean it so be careful, heeheehee. I love all your accents too.