Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall-ification!

 

The front entry to our home has been “fall-ified.”   …. My word for spiffed up for autumn!

 

door 2

This house has no front porch, just a covered enclosure two stories high.

 

1

You can slightly see the huge window above the door in this shot. The sunlight streams through the glass on glorious fall days and the foyer is filled with light until late afternoon.

 

basket2

I love our burgundy painted door- it fits in quite well with the colors of the season- so I just added to it by hanging a large basket filled with faux flowers. The front of our house faces east and receives sun all day long, so why would I even consider placing real flowers in there? And a good number of you know that my brown thumb could easily hasten their demise along. So faux flowers and greenery it is…..

 

grasses, mums, hydrangea

The green hydrangeas provide a nice, full backdrop to the colorful assortment of flowers. There are even a few wispy grasses poking out from the basket.

 

left side of door

To the left of the door are the tall ceramic urns that the husband gave me for Christmas last year. They’re actually candleholders and the light flickers so subtly through all those little holes. I purchased some kale with the intentions of putting together a planter, but that just never happened. Instead, I “planted” them on the stoop on both sides of the door next to some gorgeous mums. I started out with the lone white pumpkin then added the gourds you see in the photo below.

 

left side door

I believe that the kale needs a little water this morning….  Told you this area received direct sun all day! These plants received a big drink of water just last evening.

 

closeup of kale

The intricate veining in the kale leaves is so interesting.

 

rt.  side of door

On the right side of the door is a smaller leafed kale, more gourds, and an over-sized twig acorn..

 

front lawn

Most of the trees in our neighborhood are still green and lush with leaves, but that will soon change, since our nights are getting colder. The sprinklers had just started running when I went outside this morning. Gee, I wish the lawn could stay this way all winter!

 

crossed streams

I am calling this “Crossed Steams of Water” – similar to the crossed streams of energy in “Ghostbusters.”   I loved the theme song from the movie and it has been playing over and over in my head since I saw the water this morning.

                                                                                                            ~~~~~

I just love this time of year!  I know it’s a precursor to winter, so I want to savor it as much as I can. I’m so glad our backyard renovation was completed in time to enjoy it in this glorious Indian summer weather. The fire-pit is really getting a work-out! Last night we came home from dinner with friends and went down to the lower patio with them for a few hours. I had already laid a fire, so all I had to do was light it.

It was magical!

I don’t think our friend,Tim, was too sure if my fire was going to be a good one. He thought there was too much kindling and not enough logs. I explained that my method was to initially get some hot coals going, then to add some really large wood pieces. Much to his surprise, the fire burned hot and bright until 2:00 in the morning! Yup, I was up that late! We didn’t even get home from the restaurant until 10 and our friends left about 1.  The husband went inside to watch the Ohio State/Nebraska game that I had recorded for him, while I stayed outside and was kept mesmerized by the fire. After a few head nods, I realized that I really should go in. Thank goodness the coals were dying down by then. I doused them with a little water, created a nice steam bath for my face, then went inside for a shower. As much as I enjoy a fire, I didn’t want to get into bed smelling like smoke!

I’ve yet to take some good shots of the yard at night. I’m still trying to play with the new camera. But quite frankly, I’ve also forgotten to even take the camera outside with us. Guess those bottles of red wine might have me a little distracted…. 

Hope you’re enjoying fall as much as I am!

 

 

  Linking to:

Sarah’s Outdoor Ideas Party

 

image_thumb[3]   Pic_for_Body_of_Blog                  Honey, 2805          wow us wed.

 

 

Seasonal Sunday Teapot resized_thumb[3]

24 comments:

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Fallified and beautified for sure Sue. Looks awesome! Your mums are so full already, some of mine are not even opening.

Nancy's Notes said...

You did such a great job creating a fall look, it's awesome. Those mums are out of this world, gorgeous! What a stunning color!

Debby said...

So beautiful........glad you didn't fall asleep outside.
We had fire in our neighborhood.
A neighboring yard to our subdivision.
A little neighbor girl spotted the flames. Firemen came to put it out. The owner then realized it was out of hand. I asked my neighbor girl, 6 years old, how she spotted the flames through the trees. She said, "Because I am farsighted."

Life with L said...

Sue, your porch is awesome, all decked out for Fall. Mums are gorgeous and perfect for a Fall display. Great creativity...

Salmagundi said...

I love the color of your door - it does speak FALL. Glad you are enjoying your yard. Sally

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, your fall porch looks great!! I just started on mine this weekend. It has been too hot to even think about fall! But, cooler temps and rain prevailed yesterday; so, it felt more like fall to me! Enjoy your fire pit and outdoor living space. In Ohio, winter will kick in before you know it!

Barbara F. said...

I love your entry way, who needs a porch when you have a two-story enclosure and that fabulous window. And your backyard, I am not a fan of camping (never have, probably never will) but I could pitch a tent there easily! ;o xo

Mumzie said...

Sue, I love your door basket and front porch! Looks very nice and has given me some inspiration to do a little Fallifiying of my own. Our door is almost identical to yours without the door two. How did you attach the basket? I've never hung anything on our so just wondering. Yvonne

Pat said...

Beautiful fallifying Sue!

xinex said...

Your fire pit sounds so nice. Your description makes me wanna be there too. Your fallified front looks so pretty, Sue. Happy fall!.....Christine

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The word Fall-ified works for me. :-D Your entrance is very pretty - like your Fall decor. I I bet you are enjoying the new space in this weather. got a ornamental kale at the grocery earlier and went out to do a little cleanup and Fallifying around my back door and the squirrels are dining on hickory nuts right now so will have to wait till they finish - don't want my hair full of shells and when they drop the big pieces it hurts.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your entry is so warm and welcoming.. sorry for the pun, I know you said it gets direct sunlight all day long. Your flowering Kale is gorgous.. glad you're enjoying the firepit.. hugs ~lynne~

NanaDiana said...

Sue-It looks wonderful. One of our houses had a front area like yours and I always found it very hard to decorate because you just don't have the weather protection that you do with a porch. I'd say you did a great job-it looks lovely and welcoming- xo Diana

Lori said...

Great time of year, grass still green and pretty colors of fall working their way into everything.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Everything looks great Sue! The detail and color of the kale is just beautiful-enjoy:@)

All That Glitters said...

Looking gorgeous!

Babs said...

All your Fall plantings and wreath go perfectly with your door. Love the burgundy color. I know what you mean about east facing front door. I have the same "challenge".
Thanks for sharing your Fall look and keep those kale watered. :)

Poppy said...

Wow! Such a beautiful entrance! You have fallified everything so wonderfully. I love those ceramic urns they add so much texture and visual impact to the front entrance and the basket floral arrangement has all the beautiful colors of fall in it. Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing and for taking the time to leave me such a sweet comment on my autumn tablescape. Happy Sunday!Hugs~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....The front porch is looking good! Isn't the grass so pretty right now? So green and lush? It would be nice to see it that way all year round. We love our firepit too and a few glasses of wine makes it all the better! I know you are really enjoying that new backyard!~Hugs, Patti

Suzie said...

Sue,

Love your fall look! thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind comment!

Suzie

Made In The South said...

Love your fall decor. The little acorn is so cute.
I love to sit out by a fire as well. It brings back memories when the kids would sit by a fire when we would go camping, I had the hardest time getting them to bath and get the sticky marshmellows off of them before getting back in the camper. LOL
I can not wait to see your pictures of your new patio at night.
Have a Fabulous week,
Melissa

Lori E said...

So glad you are enjoying the back yard redo.
Make sure you use a tripod for those night shots.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Everything looks so pretty! I wish we could paint our front door a nice color but our house is purple...really! heeheehee! So what goes with that? lol ♥

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

This is so pretty! Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas.