Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Fall Cloches

telescope cloche2

There are only a few cloches on display this fall season. My favorite is the large one that is on the round table in the great room. It’s filled with an old microscope that I found in my friend Jean’s booth up in Tipp City. She always has so many fun finds.  She is working on creating her own blog and hopes to have it up and running soon. I’ll keep you apprised.

 

telescope cloche

You can’t just stick a microscope in a cloche and expect it to stand on its own, so I started thinking….. You use it to see things up close, so why not view vintage pictures under the magnifiers? 

 

telescope cloche3

I found some great old photographs in an envelope while at a sale during the summer. There were tons of them inside and they were only $5! Although the collection consisted mostly of children’s photos, there were some pictures of adults, as well. One of them is a dated photo of a Union soldier during the Civil War!

 

telescope cloche4

Just look at those somber faces….  I don’t think photographers ever wanted their clients to smile in those days.

 

 

 

candle, wire cloche

The metal and wire cloche is extremely simply- one tall candle fits perfectly inside. And to bring in a bit of the Halloween holiday, I hung a glittered silhouette of a black cat on the knob.  The two demi-johns were finds at the Rural Society Antique Show a couple of weeks ago.

 

candle, wire cloche2

 

 

 

 

mini cloches

These miniature cloches are on display on the baker’s rack.  Look at how teeny tiny they are!  I originally bought them to use in my fairy garden but thought they’d be perfect to show off a buckeye nut and a small putka pod.

 

mini cloches 2

The buckeye is inside the cloche on the left. Some of you may recall that the buckeye is the official nut for the state of Ohio. They’re inedible but the candy buckeyes certainly are delicious. Have you ever had any of those? I think our local candy maker, Esther Price Candies, makes the best commercial ones. Must be the delicious chocolate they’re known for that makes them so tasty….   The smaller cloche encloses what many of you would call a mini pumpkin. It is, however, a putka pod, but it really DOES look like a little pumpkin, doesn’t it?

 

slinky cloche 2

This bell jar distorts everything that I put underneath it. I recently found this old Slinky toy at a barn sale and thought it might make a good snake, perfect for the Halloween theme. A little lame, perhaps, but it’s cool all the same! Do you remember Slinky?  As a kid, I used to love the way it traveled down the stairs.

 

slinky cloche

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I couldn’t close before letting you see who came to visit me for Halloween.  It’s yukky Mr. Rat trying to steal a piece of cheese from my trap!

 

rat1

 

 

 

 

 

rat2

This scary fellow came to me earlier in the season from a vintage sale at the home of a friend in St. Paris, Ohio.  I would certainly hate to have the real kind anywhere NEAR my house! 

 

I’m sitting here waiting for Beggar’s Night to come to a close. I’ve had so few Trick or Treaters tonight- every year the number dwindles even further. But I continue to buy at least 10 large bags of candy, just in case I’m hit with an onslaught of kids. In the past, the junior high kids came out in droves. But this year I think I’ve only had four kids from that age group. Even the little kids aren’t coming out!  I love to play my frightful Halloween CD out in the garden, turn on the flashing strobe light, and hand out candy. But what’s the fun if the neighborhood kids don’t come out anymore? Last year I said that I wasn’t going to do it anymore, but I gave it one more chance. With only five more minutes of “official” trick or treating time, I’ve handed out candy to a whopping 30 kids!  I have way too many bags of goodies left and guess who will get into them over the course of the next few weeks? It doesn’t do any good to freeze it, I can eat frozen candy without any reservation at all….       Hope you had  a Happy Halloween!

 

 

 

Linking to:

Cloche Party              nifty thrifty tuesdays                       wow us wed.  

        

        charm of home

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

42 comments:

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Ok the slinky got to me, that is awesome Sue! Great cloches and displays.

Jo said...

Love the cloches! We had abt 80 kids and most were under 10 which was nice for a chg....

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Everything is wonderful..love your blog and your cloches are awesome. Not so sure about that 'mouse' (grins). I have joined your followers list and invite you to join my followers list; as well,I hope you will grab a blog button. Hugs, Gayle
http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, the microscope is brilliant. The demijohns are sweet. hugs, olive

Marydon said...

What a fabulous setting. Love your presentation ... the wee mouse is darling.

BOO-T-ful Halloween wishes
TTFN ~
Marydon

Jo's This and That said...

Love your post! love the mouse! Thanks for sharing,Joann

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh Sue, I am just drooling over that large cloche with the telescope, such a fantastic idea and your entire vignette is stunning. I love the wire one too. The two tiny ones are just precious. I havn't seen any that small. Your turtle shell is unreal, how beautiful. I always had so much fun with slinky's and putting them under the cloche is so cute. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Lol...me too! It doesn't matter if it is frozen or not! That's where I usually stash candy anyway, Halloween or not! We only had about 30 kids this year too. I was thankful for that though. That's a furry little rat/mouse! Love it with the cheese and all the other vignettes you come up with!~Hugs, Patti

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Those little cloches are too cute, Sue! I see you have wine corks in one of yours. I do, too! I never change that one out though. Great idea with the microscope ~ those pictures are really charming. I love the old ones of kids.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sue, what great cloches you have! Love the one with the telescope! That vignette is just wonderful!! Thanks so much for sharing all of your pretties!

Marsha said...

I just love the rat and the mouse trap. Now why didn't I think of that?
I always buy extra candy, too. :)

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue! Your cloches look fabulous! The microscope and slinky are genius ideas for subjects.

Where our condo is we have NO beggars! Not one. Remember when we would dress up and comb an entire neighborhood? Oh what fun! There was a small log cabin in my parents' neighborhood where a teacher lived... she gave out big Hershey bars, red candy apples and popcorn balls ... it was heaven!!

Thanks for the memories Sweet Sue!

Big hugs, Sherry

Debby said...

I like the microscope and the pictures but that rat is scarrrrrry. I saw the turle shell.....you have such unique things, hah.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You came up with some good ideas for your cloches. I did not get with the program this year. :(

Salmagundi said...

We didn't have many kids last night either. We usually take our left over candy to our local food bank, so I don't overdose on sugar!!! Sally

Babs said...

Sue, Every cloche has something sooo interesting. I can't tell you how many hours I spent looking through a microscope and really loving it.I have a thing for old photos too.
The mini cloches are darling and thanks for identifying the putka pod. Now I don't have to call them 'those little mini pumpkin- looking things'.
Great post!

Lori E said...

We had two kids this year and they came together.
We have never had many but this years was the slowest. At least when our boys were younger their friends would come by at some point to say hi and load up.
I love your little rat and trap. Too cute.

the cape on the corner said...

ooh-how fun is that telescope! and i love the one with wine corks, i've done two with corks and pinecones.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the slinky, too and all of your fabulous decorations...well, all except that one! heehee! I mentioned you on my blog today! I'm having a BIG home improvement giveaway! Hugs! ♥

Jemsmom said...

I loved my slinky when I was a kid!!! I think it is brilliant that you put it under a cloche.

I love old photographs, but think it is so sad when I see them in antique stores. I always wonder who they are and why the photos aren't with family. I am so weird! They didn't smile back then because the lens had to stay open so long to let enough light in that any movement or change in expression would result in a blurry picture. There is your useless knowledge for the day!!!

I have already eaten way to much candy out of Jemma's bucket today. Ugh... Check online about places that accept candy. I know there are some sites where you can send your candy and it goes to the troops oversees. Maybe a local school for treats or something.

We put the candy out in a bucket while we go trick or treating with Jemma and there is never candy left. We have quite a few trick or treaters but I swear I wanted to beat some tweens when they rang my doorbell at 9:40! All our lights were out as were everyone's on the street and they had a car right there with them! What kind of adult lets the kids do that???

Oh well... it was still a great night and lots of fun memories made!

Becca said...

I love your cloche collection Sue, especially the BIG one! And, what a genious idea to place a microscope under it with family pictures ... love that! Love the one with the wine corks, as well ... love displaying my corks, too!

Pat said...

Your cloches are wonderful Sue.

We used to have a lot more of J's stuff...he is a pack rat. He gave away a lot of it when we moved here 8 years ago. He still has some pretty nifty things though. The other corner of the basement is a bar, with neon signs and I don't know what all...we are getting ready to de-clutter that area and a wall of bric-a-brac..needing to paint, here in the old lodge.:-)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, I love your cloches. That rat is too funny. thanks for joining wow.

The French Hutch said...

Hi Sue, You have a great cloche collection. I love the wire cloche with the black cat, its so french. Love the big cloche with the telescope, a very clever display there. The old photos are awesome, the sweet little faces, dress and shoes are so precious. I've never had buckeye candy, but if I ever come across any I'll be sure to try it I love the teeny tiny pod and it does look just like a little pumpkin. That sure is a scary looking fellow in the trap, yikes. We had so many neighborhood children last night. Trick or Treat is from 6 till 8, we ran out of candy at 7:20. The day was so gorgeous and the evening mild, perfect for Halloween. I won't get to freeze my candy leftovers!

~Emily
The French Hutch

All That Glitters said...

Cute cloches! I still do not own one!

Geneva said...

I loved your cloche collection...especially the large one with the microscope! Wow! Of course I'm partial to old photographs, so it's a given for me. Thank you so much for sharing...I enjoyed your post very much!

Theresa said...

Hi Sue,It's sad that the kiddo's aren't coming around anymore. The house we live in now sets to far off the road to get any trick-or-treaters. I bet Ohio is beautiful this time of year. Thanks for sharing your cloches, I really like your mini's. Remember all things in moderation. lol

Blessings,
Theresa

Erin of Salvaged Whimsy said...

Hi - I am an Ohioan! I've come across so few Ohio bloggers...it's so nice to meet a couple of you. I'd love to learn more about the blogging group you mentioned...my email is SalvagedWhimsy@hotmail.com. I don't know what's up with my email and everything on blogger - some people are able to reply to comments, others aren't...I have no idea.
I love your cloche collection...I'd honestly never heard of "cloches" before blogging, but I love the way they look. As for the old photos (which I also love) - my mom always told me that the subjects looked serious because the shutter (I think that's what it's called) had to be open for so long to get enough light (or something - I'm not much of a photo - buff)....and that a lot of times they had braces around the back of their necks to hold their heads still. They did all of this so the picture wouldn't blur. I don't know how true any of this is...but I thought I'd share :).

Michele Smith said...

Great displays for your cloches! Love that large cloche too.

hilary @ oldhouse.truelove. said...

love the old pic idea... and slinkys are forever in my heart. creative and beautiful as usual sue

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! A slinky! I love it! Your cloche displays are so wonderful. Now watch out for that little rat! ;)
Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Ivy and Elephants said...

How cute and fun! I love those teeny tiny little cloches! How creative to use the microscope for the "close ups"!
Great post!
Hugs,
Patti

blessedmom's simple home said...

Great photos Sue! I love the telescope under glass, and Mr. Rat is almost too cute to be a rat :)
Enjoy your weekend!
Blessings,
Marcia

Katherines Corner said...

So fun and creative. Love'n that slinky under glass. Big Hugs ♥

Kathleen said...

No wonder the trick or treaters don't come to your house, they peek in the window and see your pet rat! Ewww!

Hope all is well I read somewhere you went shopping and spent a lot of money!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

That rat is just fantastic! It looks like one of those that are done in wool...and wonderful creations. This one is really wonderful!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Got so carried away with the rat that I forgot to comment on your GREAT cloches. I have one...and stand and look at it...and that is about as far as I get. :)

susie said...

Your cloches are GORGEOUS...I wish I had that many. Now I have to create a new collection, I will be on the hunt for my own beauties & cool things to put under them just like you did!!
Thanks for sharing friend!!!
Hugs,
Susie

xinex said...

OMG, Sue! That hairy fella looks really freaky, lol. But I love your microscope, especially because I am a lab. tech and I used to work with them a lot. Beautiful displays, my friend!...Christine

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Sue you do have the MAGIC touch with your cloches..I love the micro one as I also have one in my office just like it..I kid you not..I pray all is well in your world my friend..Thanks for coming by and your prayers I hope to be back full swing by the first of the year but right now my HEART is not into it ( Pun intended) ha ha!! This triple by pass is the most painful thing I have ever had done ha ha!! Hey labor didn't last this long..seen heart Dr.today and don't have to go back now for 6 months unless there is a problem..I try and walk a mile a day but it is getting so cold here..From my mountain to yours my dear friend hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

You always surprise me with your creativity. I would never have thought of putting a microscope or a slinky under a cloche! Brilliant! My mother got soooo tired of hearing the slinky going down our hardwood stairs! What a realistic looking rat! Yikes! laurie

Sherry said...

Sue,
I love the microscope and slinky under the cloche! Great ideas. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry