Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Autumn Cocktail Table

 

I’ve been hustling to add more autumn decorating to the house. Seems that I’ve been piecing things together a little at a time- I just haven’t been able to do it all in one shot! But it’s completely done now, except for the Halloween stuff. That won’t go up for a while, because I want to savor the fall décor a little longer.

 

cocktail table 2

The glass cocktail table in the great room got its autumn dress last week before we had our party with the husband’s brothers and their wives. Although I knew we were planning on staying outside most of the evening, I knew the girls would come in to check out what I’d done with the seasonal décor.  The fireplace mantel and hearth had already been “fall-ified” but the table needed some help to get it out of generic mode.

I knew that I wanted a basket of gourds and corn, but all of my baskets were too formal or too “wickery.” Is that a word? I keep making up my own language….  Anyway, it occurred to me that I had the perfect thing- an old strainer that I’d found at a barn sale a few years back. It was rustic and worn and the perfect size to plop in all of my fall goodies.

 

strainer 2 

The demijohn and the staircase spindle/turned candlestick gave height to the design. I simply raised the candlestick onto a couple of books. Then I filled in with Indian corn, colorful gourds, some hedge apples and a clock face tucked into a flower frog. The spindle candlestick is holding a battery operated candle with a silicone covered light bulb. When it’s dark, the bulb flickers and glows so nicely.

 

red chile

There are even a few red chile pods tucked in for good measure.

 

clock face

I like the old keys used as clock hands. Wish I could have slept in ‘til that time.  I was up hours before!

 

demijohn

I found the demijohn at the Springfield Extravaganza last spring. They were selling so inexpensively in the booth where I found it; plus, I got a great bundled price because I bought an old soda bottle there, too.

 

hedgeapple

I’ve noticed that people in different regions of the country call these hedge apples by different names.  Monkey balls is one moniker that simply cracks me up!

 

table3

Adding even more height to the table is the ginormous wooden spindle that I found for the unbelievably reasonable price of $10. Some of you may be familiar with the blog, McMaster and Storm- well, the girls hosted their Brick Farmhouse Event a couple of weeks ago and it was just wonderful!  I sure hope that they do it again next year. Are you reading this, Kara and Darcy?  The spindle is 12 inches tall and was purchased from one of their vendors whose booth was filled with lots of great vintage items.

 

 

quail 2

I placed a ceramic quail onto her own cozy little nest.

 

pumpkin

This pumpkin, embellished with halved wooden balls, found a home right in front of the spindle. I found it at the Country Living Fair last fall.  BTW, are pumpkins supposed to be green? 

 

ledger

To finish off the display, I brought out an old livery ledger, circa 1853.  It was used by a business here in Dayton and its entries denote the many transactions that the business dealt with during the course of the year.

 

ledger entry

 

 

 

 

 

ledger date

Here,you can see that customers had rented a box buggy, a cart, and a carriage. (note the misspelling of the word, carriage)  I’m unclear as to what kind of wagon is being described in the list, but isn’t it interesting to see the old handwriting?

 

ledger

I used some wheat stalks and a shell-handled magnifying glass for varied interest.

 

candle lit vignette2

 

Here are a couple of evening views of the vignette…..

 

3

 

I’ll be sharing more of the autumn décor from this room soon…. Hope you’re enjoying cooler weather and clear, sunny days! It is definitely fall here in Ohio!

                                                                   If you haven’t entered my Hometalk Give-Away yet, you still have time~

                                     Just click on the link below to check it out. We’re celebrating the completion of our backyard renovation.

 

                                                                                                                                                              giveaway button

 

 

I’m linking to: 

wow us wed.                    sharethelovebutton                 charm of home                  

 


           sherry           thrifty things friday       french country cottage               vintage inspiration button

 

Potpourri Party

36 comments:

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, the strainer is perfect for all that fall goodness. I love the bird on the spool too. Fall is so much fun to decorate around. hugs♥O

La said...

It looks fantastic. Don't you just hate things that are too wickery?? :o)

Jo said...

What a great job! You are on a posting frenzy!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Beautiful Sue....love those chili pods in there...so pretty!

Lou Cinda

NanaDiana said...

Sue- You sure pulled it all together. It looks great! Love the old strainer and the candle stick really gives it a nice touch! Diana

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Sue you have it all going on over there. Love the Fall displays, very cute and unique!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I really like your coffee table vignette - very pretty and creative. I thought the strainer was a cheese box first - use to have a couple of them. I know your guests enjoyed seeing your Fall decor - I did!

Lori E said...

I hope to gussy up the place on Friday when I have the day off. It is Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada so I will have to get a lot done before Sunday dinner.
You inspire me to get busy.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Looks outstanding...love that cute birdie!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Pat said...

Beautiful cocktail table vignette, Sue. Loving the "cheese box" arangement. Great idea!

Pat said...

oops, strainer...:-)

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

You've taken some very unique items and made a lovely fall display. Its one of a kind and I love it.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Your room is definitely "fallified' Sue! Every detail is perfect for your table vignette! I couldn't help but notice that beautiful leather chair. It looks so comfy! Great job!~Hugs, Patti

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

Love the vignette. Everything looks perfect together!

Debby said...

You have the touch of knowing what to use together. It all looks so nice. I am with Patti.....that chair looks really comfy.

Shannon@FoxHollowCottage said...

Beautiful.

What I really enjoyed, was your comment about not needing an intervention in your "about me". lol. Loved that =)

Pam said...

You set a beautiful table! I love the big spool thing. Make a nice nesting spot.

Balisha said...

Sue..Your house looks so beautiful with all your fall things. I could just sit in that chair and enjoy the view. Balisha

Jemsmom said...

Sue, I just wanted to tell you that your home is looking so fall'ish and beautiful! I am so behind on blogging! I also want to say that your yard is STUNNING!!!! You used every bit of that space and designed it perfectly! I love it! I hope you are doing well. Hopefully I will be back to reading blogs soon! I just can't get caught up!!! We had a yard sale this past weekend and I have spent the last three weeks pulling everything out of closets and drawers and cleaning out! Now I am having to put it all back! Have a great week!

Bunny Jean said...

Thanks for coming to the party again. What great items gathered together on your table vignette. That old ledger is really cool.

xoxo Bunny Jean

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

So very pretty Sue. I always love your style. Can't wait to see more.

bj said...

It all looks sooo pretty, Sue. You are so good at this.
We call them HORSE APPLES out here in West Texas..Monkey Balls cracks me up, too...that would have to be ONE BIG MONKEY. hahaaahhhaaa..love it.

I just moved your giveaway to the top of my blog so folks could get in on it before midnight tonight. :))
xoxo bj

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

I really like your arrangement, Sue. You were so lucky to find a bargain demijohn. I really like the pumpkin with the wood balls--so interesting.

Babs said...

Your vignettes are so interesting and I love the hedge apples/Osage oranges, the old strainer and the old ledger. Really nice. :)

Jill Elaine said...

That was my antique spool!!!!! Knew I recognized it:) Glad you are enjoying it, it goes great with your fall decor. My hubby and I found it years ago at a garage sale for like a buck or something. And since I have a ton of old spools it was time for some of them to go! Glad it got a great home where it can be appreciated more instead of getting lost in the midst of so many!

Katherines Corner said...

Sue everything looks lovely I'm posting my Autumn touches soon too. I love everything but I was drawn to your fireplace. The pumpkins on the stands. What a lovely touch. xo

Honey at 2805 said...

Everything is so lovely and festive, Sue. You have such an interesting variety of elements on your table. It is all beautiful!

Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday! I appreciate your participation!

EUPHORIA said...

This is beautiful home decor! I like it!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, Your Fall vignette is beautiful. I love the old ledger and the strainer. Thank you for linking to the Open House Party.
Hugs,
Sherry

The Tablescaper said...

sue:

Your coffee table is great. So much interest and texture. It would be great to have you link to Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

very merry vintage style said...

Great vignette on your table. thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

Debra @ Common Ground said...

This is absolutely wonderful! the strainer is the perfect container for all the great fall elements! Love that old ledger too. thanks for linking up with VIF!! xo

Diann said...

What a fun and eye catching vignette Sue! I love all the different element here. that ledger is fantastic! Thank you for being part off TTF and have a wonderful day!

Bunny Jean said...

Sue, Just want you to know that this post was chosen as my favorite pick of the week on my Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party for last wee!

xoxo Bunny Jean

Sherry said...

Hi Sue,
I love this and the strainer is perfect for the display! Love the wheat with the old ledger! Thank you for linking up with Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Dear Sue,
So glad you linked me to your monkey ball post! How have I not run across your lovely blog before this afternoon?

I see some of my friend are here commenting too. Will have to tease them for not letting me know you and your beautiful interiors were here to lust after!

So nice to meet you!
Your newest follower,
Alison