Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Moving into the final leg of the landscaping journey…

 

We’re entering the fifth week of our landscape project here at the Sullivan household and last week was another busy one for the The Site Group crew. Fortunately, the summer heat hasn’t been too unbearable for them over the past four weeks, with the exception of a couple of really hot days last week. Even still, they accomplished a tremendous amount of work and the yard is well on its way to nearing completion. The weather turned much cooler over the weekend, so maybe the crew will be enjoying some crisp, sunny days instead!

 

smoothing out the grade

Here at the south end of the yard, you can see the steep slope of the yard and where Rod, the crew foreman, built out a pad so he could set some large boulders to hold the area into the hill. He re-graded the area so it could come closer to the top level of the fire pit patio’s seating wall. Two crew members, Josh and Tim, are seen here smoothing out the dirt that was brought in. This area will be the only sodded area in the back yard. Hurray- no more sliding down the hill as we mow- the ground is now level!

 

 

 

north to south view

Here is a shot of the same area five weeks ago, the day before the crew arrived. The lawn was lush, but the yard rolled and sloped so much that I couldn’t even set out a level table when we entertained.  There was quite a bit of overgrown honeysuckle at the rear of the yard, as well.

 

view on to fire pit patio

What you see here is the front retaining wall of the lower patio. By capping out the top of the wall, quite a bit of seating was created around the fire pit.  In addition, there is still plenty of room for several chairs and tables on the other side of the patio. 

 

pre-waterfall

The area to the right of the steps became the basin for the pond-less waterfall and stream.

 

beginning of a waterfall

This is the beginning of the waterfall and stream. The crew dug out a stream path, covered it with liner, and then a bridge was created over it, using huge boulders and a gorgeous stone slab.

 

waterfall stream and bridge

Do you think I’m exaggerating when I say that there are thousands of rocks making up this stream bed?  I took this photo after the crew had left for the day, so the water wasn’t running. Earlier today, it sounded like I was back home, up in the mountains of New Mexico, as I listened to the water fall over the rocks and down the stream.  I’m so looking forward to seeing the bridge highlighted with some low voltage lighting. The yard will come alive with it set here, as well as in the planting beds, and even up in the tall Sycamore trees shown below.

 

under the sycamore

Although this shot is a little blurry, you can see what the fire pit area looked like before the excavation began. The maple tree had to be removed to make room for the patio. We plan on adding a red maple between the lower patio area and the upper patio on the north side of the yard, once the beds are ready for planting. 

I am so glad that we selected The Site Group to transform our yard. We have an excellent crew that takes pride in the work that they are do, so we’re well on the way to realizing a beautiful and useable backyard that we can be very proud of.   There is still quite a bit more work to be done in order to complete this project. More grading, re-sodding, lighting, and planting…..   I really don’t think most people realize how much effort and work goes into a project of this magnitude. I have to laugh when I recall that some of the neighbors thought that they’d be invited to a party in the backyard after only a few short weeks! What could they possibly have been thinking?  

I’ll be back with another update soon.

 

Linking to:

wow us wed.

28 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

It's going to be beautiful, Sue!! I'd love to have a stream close enough to hear, you are going to be in heaven! Hopefully it will be finished soon enough to throw a big party around the bonfire!

XO,
Jane

NanaDiana said...

I am newer to your blog, Sue! That is going to be absolutely fabulous when all is said and done! Love it...love ANY kind of water feature and yours is going to be spectacular! Hugs- Diana

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I am really enjoying watching the progress. I just can't wait to see it when it is all done!

Alicia said...

It's looking good! I bet you are so excited to see the final results. Me too!

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Wow, this looks like something you would see on HGTV. Can't wait to see the finished product. It is going to be beautiful!!

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

This is going to be fabulous!

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜@ Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing said...

Coming along nicely Sue. OUrs is almost complete too. Of course not as big of a job as yours..however, one of the things (pizza oven) my husband is doing himself.

Barbara F. said...

I can't wait to be invited to a virtual party in that beautiful yard! :) xo

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I can tell it's going to be beautiful. You have such a great space to work with.

Dawn said...

It's wonderful Sue! I hope it gets done in time for you to have some nice fall evenings around the firepit!

Rettabug said...

I am SO excited for you, Sue & watching the progress has really been interesting. I'm both amazed & envious!
I can't wait for it to be done almost as much as you!

Hugs,
Rett

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Won't be long be "party time" !. :-D
Th fire pit will be great on cool Fall evenings.

thestonerabbit said...

That is going to be one fantastic space!! Love the firepit idea and the stream! Oh and the little bridge with lights! You guys thought of everything!

Have a great week. Our weather in MO is awesome...forties in the a.m. and 70-80s in the p.m.!!

L, dana

Pat said...

It's coming together beautifully Sue! You are going to enjoy this so much!

Kathy said...

Wow, you and Murphy have some great things going on in your yard - can't wait to see pics of the final "reveal"! And, I'm hoping you have a bloggers' party there sometime...and I promise I'll come!!

See you at Springfield my dear!!

Hugs, Kathy

Lori E said...

You must be soooo excited to see this nearing completion. It will be fabulous.

At The Picket Fence said...

WOW! Sue that is going to be so incredible! I love the stone you've chosen and the fire pit area will be fantastic. What a huge amount of work! I know all about having to mow going down a hill after doing it at our old house so I fully appreciate that challenge! LOL! Thanks for the update on this!
Vanessa

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Wow, what a transformation, and I think you are going to enjoy this so much!!

Carol @ Grand Junction said...

Hello Sue. Your new outdoor environment will provide a very nice place to unwind and entertain. Look forward to seeing finished product.

Katherines Corner said...

Sue, I love stopping by to see the progress. It is all looking so beautiful!xo Katherine
P.S. new giveaway started today

Pam @ Frippery said...

This will be breathtaking, Sue!

Babs said...

Hurry and get it finished, I'm dying to see it. :)
Hugs and happy Sunday.
Babs

xinex said...

This is going to be such a beautiful and relaxing area, Sue. I need some of those rocks!...Christine

A Hint of Home said...

It is going to be a show place when it's done! Can't wait to see the finished product. You are probably chopping at the bit to get it done.
Hugs!

Parents of a Dozen said...

Wow! What a beautiful patio/yard!!
I will be posting on us doing our patio, which was a lot of work. I couldn't imagine a project like that. I am your newest follower. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Kathleen said...

It is going to be a wonderful retreat!
Hope all is well, you haven't posted in awhile, and I haven't seen you around!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Hi Sue, I can't wait to see the finished product. You'll want to spend every moment outside enjoying your new surroundings! Have they given you a finish date?

Also, thank you for your kind words about my mom, she will be forever missed and in our hearts.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

What a project Sue! You're backyard is going to become an outdoor living space like the grand ones on HGTV!! I can hardly wait to see the final outcome. You have a whole show going out right outside your kitchen window girl!! I'm so excited for you!

Big hugs, Sherry