Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fall Mantel

 

fireplace and mantel

I’ve been a little neglectful of the fall decorating this year- my mind has been on finishing up the backyard and having some outdoor par-tays, so the interior of our house has gone un-decorated for the autumn season. By this time last year, the house had been done for a month!  So I quickly put the mantel décor together this morning so I could join Layla’s Fall Mantel Party.

 

 

mantel 4

You may remember that this 3 ft. diameter clock was originally a cocktail table that was ordered for our store. Its glass top was broken during shipping, and the manufacturer replaced the entire table vs. just sending a new piece of glass, That left us with the a perfectly useable clock and base. I think the base went to furniture heaven and I’ve been using the clock face on the mantel ever since then!

 

staffordshire dogs

The Staffordshire-look doggies came out of storage and were placed in front of the giant clock.

 

cornucopia and disc 2

The cornucopia that I found at a yard sale for a mere pittance was filled with artificial fruit and gourds. An overflow of veggies was scattered outside its mouth onto the mantel.

 

cornucopia on mantel

 

 

 

 

 

 

recording disc

The old Edison recording disc container was one of my many finds at the French Hen Farm barn sale last fall. Am looking forward to seeing more goodies at Linda’s sale next week.

 

hearth

The hearth was crying out for a little autumn décor, as well, so I added a few things to the metal terrarium that always has a home in this corner.  I used the burlap coffee bag that I found at the summer Horton’s sale in Indiana as a backdrop for a vase of fresh sunflowers, some dried corn, and a ceramic pumpkin.

 

sunflower, close-up

The grocery store seems to be my go-to place for flowers these days. I hope these dry well and don’t lose a lot of petals.

 

leaf balls on pedestals

Three candle holders on pedestals were the perfect base for the leaf balls that I made two years ago.  The tutorial for making them is on my sidebar, if you’re interested.

 

leafball, close-up

Such pretty variegation in the faux leaves…..

 

terrarium

 

old photo in terrarium

The terrarium was put together simply - just a bouquet of dried hydrangeas, two old shoe lasts, and a vintage photo from my collection. At a yard sale early in the spring, I spotted a legal sized envelope filled with old photographs. There were at least 30 of them- some dating back as far as the Civil War. I paid $5 for all of them!

 

.mantel

                                                                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m finally in the mood for fall decorating now, so I guess I’ll be creating some tablescapes for the great room and the foyer over the course of the next few days.  I’d like to have it all done by Friday so our guests can be properly welcomed into our home for another party we’re hosting Saturday night out on the new patios. Hope to have some pics of that once I figure out my new camera!

 

                                                                 pumpkin yard2

 

                                                                                                         Photobucket

                                                                                                                                       click button to link

                       Visit my give-away post to enter for a $50 gift card to Lowe’s, courtesy of Hometalk.

                                                                        

                                                                                  Linking to:

 

   Fall_Link_Party_Layla                  nifty thrifty tuesdays       wow us wed.       sharethelovebutton            

 

 

     open house thursday               thrifty things friday       Inspiration Friday Graphic              charm of home     

                                                                             HOHbutton1          Photobucket

41 comments:

Marydon said...

I love what you have created, but that shoe mold & picture are my fav's.

TTFN ~
Have a great week ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I emailed you this morning and then said there was an error..?? who knows why? I will email you later again when I have more time. Your mantle looks great! Love those leaf balls and the cornacopia! Can't wait to see pics of the new patios!~Hugs, Patti

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

I love it all Sue. Don't know if I could pick a favorite out of these pics, but I sure do like the leaf balls. It is all beautiful!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks great - you did good! So far - no Fall decorating here. I am really dragging my feet this year.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

So pretty, Sue! I have never thought about buying grocery store sunflowers and letting them dry out! Great idea! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful mantel creation Sue! I love the idea of letting flowers dry up, vener did, escept with roses many years ago. I love the wire box arrangement. The leaf balls are gorgeous to, wonder they're made?! Thanks for sharing.
XO FABBY

Jo said...

Looks great!

Pat said...

Beautiful Fall mantel Sue!

Barbara F. said...

Beautiful fall decorating, I am going to check out your leaf ball tutorial. xo

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

Your fall mantel looks great! I need to start decorating for fall...

Cindy said...

Wow, love those beautiful windows flanking your beautiful fireplace! Such nice fall decor...love it!!!

Paula said...

Your mantel looks wonderful! That clock is great!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love it, Sue and thanks in advance for joining the party.

Pam said...

Looks wonderful. I have some of those recording container thingies too. They're great to just lay around the place. Have a great party on the new patio!

Balisha said...

Beautiful mantel. Your home looks so inviting..Balisha

Debby said...

Beautiful pictures. What kind of a camera did you get?
Your home is really nice.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, that shot of the room from above is gorgeous! Your mantel and heart look so pretty. Love how you decorated the terrarium, and what a clever use for the burlap bag. I may copy that idea, simply because I have a burlap bag stashed away. laurie

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Forgot to say that I remember when you made those leaf balls, and I just thought they were so brilliant and so easy to make. I was determined to make some, but never got around to it. They little beautiful on the candle sticks. You've made me promise myself AGAIN that I am going to make some. laurie

Susan said...

You have a good sense of style and color! Very pretty!

Olive Cooper said...

It is almost shocking that you could come inside from your new outside paradise and create this lovely display. Love the dogs and the huge clock face is off the chain.

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

I am stunned into silence by these beautiful displays.. well ok not silence:) but seriously stunned.
Truly beautiful and so very well done.

Babs said...

Your mantel looks so ready for fall. Love your little Staffordshire dogs. Glad you got them out of storage. Poor things. :) All your Fall touches are so interesting visually, and the terrarium looks great with the old photos and shoe lasts. Happy Fall.

A Hint of Home said...

I love your Fall mantle! It is so pretty! I adore your big clock and love the leave balls. I made one back then, too. I found it a little difficult but love the way they look!

Bunny Jean said...

I'll say you've been busy! I just came from looking at your beautiful backyard!

Happy Fall to you and have a great party on your new patios.

Thanks for also sharing this at my party this week.

xoxo Bunny Jean
Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

SavannahGranny said...

Your mantel looks great! Love the clock face. Awesome!
I am also loving the leaf balls, I am going over to take a look at the tutorial now. Thanks for sharing. Ginger

SavannahGranny said...

Thanks for the tutorial. It was good, clear. I will definatley be making one of these. Thanks again.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, Your Fall decor is beautiful and I love the balls you made. Your dogs and clock look wonderful on the mantle. Thank you for sharing your pretty home at the Open House party.
xo,
Sherry

xinex said...

Your home is beautiful, Sue, and I love your mantel. Your beautiful clock really makes a statement right on your mantel!...Christine

The French Hutch said...

Beautiful Fall decorating. Love the mantle (love the clock) and vignettes around the room. Happy Fall

~Emily
The French Hutch

Shelia said...

HI Sue! Oh, your mantle is so gorgeous! I collect those doggies and yours are just darling! Everything is just so pretty!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Honey at 2805 said...

Your Fall decor is so beautiful and festive. There are so many creative and inspirational touches!

Made In The South said...

Thanks for stopping by, sorry to hear about your neck. I totally understand, my hubby has been down with his back for five weeks now. Your backyard turned out just beautiful. What a place to spend the fall afternoons. It will be 93 here today, we still have not seen fall yet. LOL.
Enjoy the coming weekend,
Melissa

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looking good Sue!!! Great price on those old pics...so nifty thrifty!!!

Blessings,
linda

Honey at 2805 said...

I'm so delighted that you linked this post to Potpourri Friday! I appreciate you, Sue!

Lori E said...

Your mantle is beautiful. I always have the most trouble with decorating a mantle. Always looking for good examples.

Becca said...

What a beautiful mantle-scape! I love it ... the clock is the perfect backdrop to the lovely splashes of Fall color ... love what you did on your hearth as well ... love the old photos! *Becca* (new follower by way of Inspiration Friday)

www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

Abramyan Avenue said...

My goodness, it's absolutely beautiful! So classic and crisp and clean. I love it! You did an amazing job!

blessedmom's simple home said...

Oh Sue, your Fall mantel looks so pretty! Thanks for sharing it :)
Have a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Marcia

Charm Bracelet Diva said...

Your mantle is beautiful, puts me right into a fall mood. I'm going to be checking out your leaf ball tutorial now! Thanks for linking up over at my Club G.W. {Goodwill} with Charm Bracelet Diva Party!

Sherry said...

Sue,
Your mantel is very pretty! I love the Staffordshire doggies. Thank you for linking it to Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Diann said...

Sue, you have added beautiful Fall touches! And I love the leaf orbs (gonna make some soon!). Thank you for joining TTF and I am so sorry I am so late in visiting this week!