Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

What Kind of Person Has the Nerve to Steal Flowers?

 

Yup, that’s the question that I would love to have an answer for!  I went out to water my flowers and shrubs yesterday and discovered that one of my hydrangea bushes was bare, except for one bloom!  Hello…..  These bushes are in the side yard and someone would have had to walk into my yard or the neighbor’s driveway to pick them! And I know that this probably occurred in the dead of night, but still- what nerve!!!  I guess this person wasn’t worried about being silhouetted in our landscape lights, either!

If the brazen soul had only taken a few blooms from each of the five bushes, I probably wouldn’t even had noticed. But no- this person cut about 20 flowers off of one bush. And he/she must have planned ahead and come armed with scissors or a pruner- all of the stems had clean cuts.  aagghhh…..

 

hydrangeas1

This photo was taken about a week and a half ago, when the blooms first started appearing. The bush that the perpetrator snagged the blooms from was the one on the left. It was a lot fuller with blooms than this.

 

 

 

 

 

Now, the bush looks like this:

one bloom hydrangea bush

Poor little bush is defoliated of flowers except for one lone bloom at the top. Sheesh!

My only consolation is that the flowers had an army of fire ants on them and they bit the thief repeatedly as he/she sauntered out into the night!  Or maybe that the creepy green grasshoppers that I’ve seen living in the bed went home with him/her and hopped off into the remote corners of their house, never to be seen again by human eyes!

This kinda happened to me- I thought I’d seen one come in with my own cut blooms yesterday, but since he blended in so well with the stems, I  wasn’t sure.  I found the little (?) guy this morning, hiding in a corner on the countertop. eeewww…..  Scared the wits out of me!  Out came the Clorox after I nabbed him with the flyswatter!

If I notice any blooms disappearing again, I may have to stake myself out on the back patio overnight. Oh, wait a minute- I won’t have a back patio after tomorrow! The landscapers are coming tomorrow morning to start demolition of the back yard. I wonder how the neighbors would react if I set up camp in their yard?!

26 comments:

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜@ Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing said...

That is something else Sue! They obviously admired it. They are probably using the flowers for a pretty table cape...let's keep our eyes open in blog land LOL!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I am sorry. I hate it when things like that happen. Few years ago someone stole several pots of flowers from my neighbor.

Donna said...

The fire ants have probably already gotten the thief for stealing! That's terrible!
Just found your blog!
Higs.
Donna

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Maybe they thought they were doing you a favor by de-heading them? What nerve is right.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue are you sure it is not deer? They love our hydrangea and it looks like someone just comes along and snips them off but it is actually them just biting off the blooms. The deer love them. We have to spray "Deer Off" to keep blooms. They always do it when we are asleep.~Patti

Debby said...

I think it was a deer just like Patti said. That's what they do to my flowers. It does look like they are cut. We use spray as well. I think I would rather think it was that kind of a creature than the walking kind.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Total bummer! I remember you just saying how great it was that they bloomed:@)

Barbara F. said...

If your neighbors know about the yard "demolition", it could have easily been one of them trying to "salvage" the blooms! Or it could be a smitten young fellow whose girlfriend remarked that they were beautiful. It is still a violation of your property. That is not cool. xo,

Miss Char said...

Look around the neighborhood today is see if anyone is having a luncheon! That would be my best guess if it isn't the deer. I would be so ticked off either way, I love use my hydrangeas in arrangements as they begin to dry.

Blondie's Journal said...

What a terrible thing to do! I can't bear to cut my own flowers!! I once had a tomato thief. It really bummed me out. I think you should stake out your yard tonight!

XO,
Jane

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I bet they wouldn't mind! Unless...of course....THEY are the perpetrator!! I don't even like to cut flowers off my own bushes!!

That did take ALOT of nerve! I would be tempted to peruse the neighborhood and see if I saw a vase FULL of hydrangeas on anyone's table!

Just sayin'

Lou Cinda :)

Stacey said...

That is so rude! Doesn't really surprise me though. Have you ever had the urge to leave a sign or note for someone to read? I might be inclined to leave a sign for the perpetrator.

farmlady said...

Too bad that they didn't just ask. Flowers should be shared not stolen.

Rettabug said...

Shame on them! The nerve!
Could it have been a deer, nibbling away? Every single one of my beautiful yellow lilies have been eaten right off the plant. They're also getting the tips of my green pepper plants! And we've got a chipmunk that is eating our tomatoes UP ON OUR DECK!!!!! Brat! I'm on a mission to get rid of him!

Your yard is beautiful & I also liked that little shelf you brought down. I need more shelving like that.

Hugs,
Rett

Jemsmom said...

That is absolutely horrible. I can't believe that someone would have the nerve to do that. What sad is I bet their conscience isn't even bothering them. Oh well, I figure that what goes around comes around and hopefully a plague of fire ants on their house!!!

Honey at 2805 said...

This is terrible! I do like your comment about the fire ants. Bites would certainly be the "reward" for stealing.

I had two huge iron urns that were stolen from each side of the steps leading to my porch. I heard a car in the circular driveway and peeked out to catch a woman loading them into her trunk. I ran for the front door, but could not catch the thief. They were full of soil and flowers and had been there unmolested for probably 12 years!

JunqueMagnet said...

Well you're not alone.Two summers ago someone stole a large pot of basil off my back deck.Totally random and obnoxious!

Betsy said...

What next? The stepping stones and bark? What nerve. This is probably the only time you're glad you have fire ants.

Kathleen said...

The noive! That's NY for nerve. :) Seriously, I would be upset too.
All my hydrangeas are getting cut down tomorrow. They have become so big, and if I wait any longer they won't bloom next year. I hate to do it, but they are covering my window boxes!
I should take a pic of the before and after.
Of course I will save some of the blooms to dry.
You need a camera posted to catch the thief. Seriously, I think it is awful that someone would do that.
One of my neighbors has gorgeous lilacs in front, and he posts a DO NOT PICK sign on them!
And I hope the crook got bit too!

Lori said...

That's awful, even worse a lady at work had the flowers stolen off her mother's grave stone!

Dawn said...

It's a crazy world, huh? A few months ago someone DUG UP several of my mom's new plants from her corner lot! Looking forward to seeing your new backyard.

Hope Filled Living said...

OMG! I thought this only happened to me! We live in the city and people walk by and cut my flowers. This past Spring, they cut every single one of my tulips. I went out one morning and they were all gone after waiting all winter for them to bloom. It's very discouraging. Sorry it happened to you.
Hugs,
Mary

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Sue, This is terrible! I am always amazed at the rudeness of some people. We don't have to wait for someone to steal our flowers as the deer eat them as soon as they bloom.
xo,
Sherry

Jilly said...

Terrible post you shared with us. I also planted so many herbs in my garden. Planning to plant mint, lavender, rosemary and the other herbs. These are beautiful flowers collection.
detektiv

Babs said...

Sue, The person who cut your hydrangeas should be ashamed of themselves! The thing is, you probably would have given them a bouquet if they'd asked nicely. At least you could have cut them so it wouldn't be noticeable.
Could you ask around the neighborhood to see if anyone had noticed anything? I think if the deer had eaten them you'd see the leaves eaten too. Hope you find out who did that awful thing.
Hugs,
Babs

Pam said...

Really, who would steal someone's flowers! You know that one of your neighbors have them on their dining room table right about now. And wondering why they have so many ants in the house!