Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

More Back Yard Progress

 

The landscape crew from The Site Group has been hard at work creating an amazing transformation for our backyard over the past few weeks. I’ve been busy with projects of my own and haven’t made the time to post anything until today.  We’re three weeks into the yard overhaul and my vision for the yard is finally coming to fruition.

From this……

north to south view

 

 

 

 

To this…..

stone foundation for fire pit

The lower level patio starting taking shape after the crew laid some giant boulders as a retaining wall into the rear hill of the yard. The area started taking shape when they dug out the excess dirt in the hill to create the fire pit area.

 

excavating the  pit

 

 

 

excavating for the waterfall basin

After the foundation was dug out and the stone for the waterfall basin was laid, the crew started digging out the basin with a backhoe. That worked great for a while, but eventually they had to get out and manually hack away at some stubborn tree roots.

 

chopping at huge root

Jason employed quite a few axe swings to this root.

 

 

more root chopping 

Rod, the foreman, continued to work with a spade on this ginormous and stubborn root for a long time before it finally gave way.

.

wall stone

A retaining wall that will double as seating is being created out of these blocks.

 

stone for firepit

This is the back of the wall that will be backfilled. The large square stone near the orange stake will be part of the fire pit.

 

view looking northwest

 

 

 

pit wall beginnings

 

 

first stone step into pit

This is the first of three stone steps that will lead from the lower patio to the path from the upper yard.

 

waterfall basin

The waterfall basin is pretty large, considering that the waterfall is pond-less; but there needs to be a large volume of water in reserve in order for the pump to recirculate it all back uphill, so this basin is close to four feet deep.

 

While the work on the lower patio was being done by two of the crew members, another crewman worked on the upper patios.

cutting the circular patio

Cutting out the circular patio made for a dusty environment for Travis. He laid the this patio and filled between the bricks with polymeric sand. Once the sand is sprayed down with water, its chemical composition changes into a “glue” to help bind the pavers into place.

 

closeup

It doesn’t seem overly large in this shot, but this patio will definitely have enough space to accommodate a couple of Adirondack chairs and a table. There will be a stone path leading to this area from the kitchen patio and another path will diverge from here to a bridge that will cross over the waterfall and lead into the fire-pit area.

 

 

 

sunroom patio

This is the patio off of the sunroom. There is plenty of room for a conversation set and a table for six, not to mention lots of ferns and mums.  I still need to clean the bricks on the house walls. I bought a power washer over the weekend and practiced using it by cleaning my front sidewalk. I hope to work on the brick after the crew finishes up for the day.

 

view north from sunroom patio

This is the view looking from the edge of the sunroom patio, where the pavers create a walkway across the back of the house and over to the kitchen patio.

 

 

bluehour effect on patio

Here’s the blue hour effect on the patio last Thursday evening. It’s almost eerie, isn’t it? 

Soon, we’ll begin assembling some of the outdoor furniture we’ve been buying at end of the season close-out sales; but that will have to wait until the hard-scaping is completed.  I’m meeting with The Site Group’s owner/landscape architect tomorrow morning to discuss bed planting and irrigation plans. This company has been such an ideal match for us, as our crew is professional, clean-cut, and just a nice group of young men. The company has done previous work for our family and came very well recommended, not to mention that I had already seen the excellent quality of their work.

Hope to be back soon to show even more progress to the yard.

 

 

Please visit these hostesses on their appropriate party days to see lots of inspiration-

metamorphis mon.                outdoor wed.                sharethelovebutton          wow us wed.           

               open house thursday            charm of home       Inspiration Friday Graphic  

46 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Oh my Sue what alot of work has been going on over at your place!! I now this area is going to look fantastic with your touches!!

Miss Char said...

Wow Sue, this is such a big project. Its hard to visualize just what it will all look like but I'll sit here waiting for the next post on the progress.

Marsha said...

I know you are going to enjoy your new outdoor rooms. We made changes to our back yard last year and just love the new look!
Thanks for posting the pictures!

Rettabug said...

It is coming along amazingly, Sue! What a transformation...GORGEOUS brick & I know you are going to love the fire pit for gathering. I can just imagine all the nice cool fall evenings you'll get to enjoy out there soon.

Hugs,
Rett

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

It looks great Sue! Such a big project, I'm glad you found a great contractor, that can be hard to do:@)

Blondie's Journal said...

I am always amazed at how hard landscapers work, they are a strong bunch. Everything looks wonderful. Your patio has the same stones as ours in Michigan and I have been really happy with it.

I can't wait to see everything with your new furniture, it's going to be beautiful, Sue!

XO,
Jane

Sandy said...

What can I say but "WOW"! this is going to be spectacular!
Can't wait to see the finished patio and all that it will be..
I'm envious to say the least!
Sandy

Barbara F. said...

It looks great, Sue. And you will enjoy it very much. Nice to know there are really good contractors around out there. xo,

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜@ Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing said...

You must be so happy Sue...it is looks amazing!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I thought about you recently and was wondering how your project was going. You really have a major undertaking going on. You are going to enjoy your new outdoor space so much.

Debby said...

Such a big project.....are you exhausted yet.
It will all look so nice.....can't wait to see it finished.

Be sure and rest.

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

Oh my gosh! It is looking wonderful!! It will be beautiful when it is finished.

Pat said...

It's looking beautiful, Sue!

Babs said...

It's getting so exciting now that your hardscape is going in. I really like your choice of pavers. The part I like most is when the plants go in...and of course the furniture. All the 'pretty' stuff. Can't wait to see it all finished.
Have a great week,
Babs

At The Picket Fence said...

Wowee!! Sue that is so incredible how much has been going on and your pavers are absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see the final result! :-)
Vanessa

Janette - The2Seasons said...

Wow! That is quite the project, but it looks as if it is coming along nicely.

Pam said...

That is going to be so pretty when it's done.

Be careful with the power washer. They are addictive. My husband had to stop me from power washing the rocks in the flower beds because I was on a roll.

Balisha said...

Holey, Moley!

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh my goodness Sue! It is already looking so beautiful, I can't wait to see the final reveal! I just LOVE your patio space. Congratulations on such a lovely space.

Heather

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I love those boulders! You are going to have such a spectacular back yard! How exciting!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Oh Sue, this is going to be fabulous when it is done! You must be so happy with how it is all coming together! Can't wait to see the final product!~Hugs, Patti

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, the large stones are massive and I realize that is redundant but there in no way that would be something Joe and I could ever handle. When the patio furniture and plants are added it will be stunning. hugs♥O

Susie Q said...

It is going to be wonderful! And huge! Well, definitely compared to ours! *laugh* I love it...and I know you will too. Sooo...can we meet for lunch next week? Tuesday or Thursday?
Miss ya!
Love,
Sue

Theresa said...

I think the blue is pretty. But I'm green. haha I hope you get it completed before the rainy season starts. I bet ya'll are all ready dreaming about setting around the fire pit. Take care.

Hugs,
Theresa

Pam @ Frippery said...

That is going to be one amazing make over Sue!

Jo said...

How exciting! It always is to finally see what you have been dreaming in your head actually being done! Hope all is well with you...tty soon!

xinex said...

This is getting so exciting, Sue. I love seeing the crew in action. I can't wait to see the project completed..Christine

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wow, Sue, I love it. I know you are thrilled. I would love a nice patio and backyard. Thanks for joining the party.

Honey at 2805 said...

This will be just beautiful! How exciting!

Hope you will bring one of your projects to my first Potpourri Friday Party this week - Friday, September 2. Link-up starts on Thursday afternoon. Without a doubt, your participation will help make the party better!

Bunny Jean said...

Came by to say thanks for the sweet comment and to see what's going on in your world.

I see the yard transformation is underway. This is going to be a wonderful place to relax and entertain. You must be so excited about it!

xoxo Bunny Jean
@ Bunny Jean's Decor and More!

Bunny Jean said...

BTW, You are more than welcome to share this in Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party :)

xo Bunny Jean

Betsy (BB) said...

I can just imagine the end product! You will love it! It already is taking shape and looks like an oasis!

very merry vintage style said...

Huge project but it looks like you are in good hands. I love the two different patio space and I'm sure the end product will be amazing! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looking really good Sue...you are going to have so much fun out there this fall.

Blessings,
Linda

Honey at 2805 said...

This will look so fabulous when finished. The size of those rocks make by back hurt just looking at them!

Thanks for posting about my giveaway and thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday and helping to make it a success! I appreciate you!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Wow! This is a huge project! What a luxury to have someone come and do it for you! I can't wait to see pictures when it is done, I already love what I'm seeing.

The Tablescaper said...

Wow! That's a big job. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

- The Tablescaper

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

wow Sue, this is quite an undertaking and I can't wait to see the finished project. Will you have a party to celebrate out there? Am I invited? :)

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

It's coming right along and looking really good. Thanks for coming to the party!

Katherines Corner said...

Sue it looks like your project is coming right along. Your patio is gorgeous. Big Hugs!

Made In The South said...

WOW that is some BIG stones. Your yard is gonna be great!
I am so excited for you. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.
Hope you have a fabulous weekend,
Melissa

Ellen said...

now that is one big project. I am going to follow your blog, so I will see the finished product. Hugs,
Ellen

Kathleen said...

While we were being smacked by a hurricane you have had a bevy of fine young men in your yard making it gorgeous! You must be so excited about the patio and the fine young men too!
Can't wait to see it all dooded up!

Designs on 47th Street said...

Man! What a project! Looks like it will be one with great results. Can't wait to see! Don't leave us hanging!
Hugs, Donna

Sherry said...

Sue,
This is gorgeous! I can't wait to see more!
Thanks for joining HSH!
Sherry

JKStamy08 said...

So I finally figured out how to comment... Sure was easy to pick out my hubby in your pictures lol.