Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Entryway to Our Eclectic House Style

 

Rene, from Cottage and Vine, is hosting a new monthly meme called Room by Room and her debut party is featuring the entryway. The foyer in our home is bright and airy most of the day. In fact, so much sun shines in from the large window above the doorway, there is nearly always a glare in here! 

                                                                                                                          http://cottageandvine.blogspot.com/

                                                                                                                  click on button to link to Cottage and Vine

 

 

stairway

As you enter from the front door, the steps to an open hallway upstairs are on the left.

 

a

Because the foyer ceilings are 18 feet tall, we needed to place large artwork along the wall up the stairway. I found these pieces from one of our accessory vendors when we were on a buying trip at the High Point Furniture Market last fall.

 

7

 

 

 

 

8

The pictures are transitional in style. I like traditional, but with a touch of contemporary. When I last took a style quiz, based on my likes and dislikes, my look was considered “globally eclectic.”  Do you think that description fits me?

 

11

To the right of the front door is the dining room and a 7 ft. wide doorway.  I’ve used two completely different groupings of art on this wall.

 

10

These lithographs take up a lot of vertical visual space above the doorway. 

2

An trio of original watercolors was stacked on the short wall to the right of the dining room doorway. I’m always paranoid that someone will throw the door open so hard that the doorknob will break the glass!  Crazy, aren’t I?

 

chest

This chest houses an overflow of my glassware collection. I had run out of room in my pantries, so I headed out to one of our stores to find something to store it in. I came home with this and another smaller console. It’s one heavy piece now that it’s loaded with all that antique/vintage cut glass.

 

moss ball

The tabletop is kept simple. This moss ball that I found at the Horton’s Flea Market last month got plopped into a yard sale urn and I placed the shell handled magnifying glass next to the stack of old books that I found in Tipp City a few years ago.

 

old books,feather

 

 

 

.

Italian etching

A vintage etching of an Italian cathedral was leaned against the spindles.

 

box

A simple woven box is there to place my keys when I come into the house.  But who am I kidding? The keys hardly ever make it into the box!

 

door

I opted for decorative beveled glass when we ordered the new front door a few years ago. While white is a nice clean look, I’m contemplating another color. Trouble is that the door has a flawless, factory applied paint job. I don’t like to see brush strokes and I’m one of the world’s worst painters, so the job may have to be hired out.  Or it might just stay white for a little longer….

 

urn

This large urn and stand have been placed to the right of the doorway.  I still need to place something on the wall above it. The area is too narrow for any of my mirrors, so I’m contemplating using the small collection of brown and white transferware that I bought some from a friend at the Springfield Extravaganza last spring. 

 

hall

Here’s the view from the hall looking into the two-story great room. I love the stone fireplace and my ginormous clock. 

So now that you’ve seen the entryway to Sullivan and Murphy, do you think it provides you with an advance peek into our home’s style, or not?

 

 

 

Also linked to:

wow us wed.                                  vintage inspiration button

31 comments:

Jo said...

Great Foyer I love all the art work!

Jemsmom said...

I can totally see you as globally eclectic! Love all your artwork. Especially the first piece. It brings to mind the ocean, but also the valleys and lakes of Ireland. Just gorgeous!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Your entry is so warm and I love all your artwork...so very pretty.

Blessings,
Linda

Barbara F. said...

You have fabulous artwork, I love the urn and your fireplace, just beautiful. xo,

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Such a pretty entrance into your home.
You have done a great job of decorating.

Pat said...

Gorgeous entry, Sue. I love the view into your living room from the foyer.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue!

Your foyer is fabulous! It's so inviting and makes you want to see more.

I love the etching of the old cathedral that sites on the chest. YOu've accomplished a beautiful look.

I'm so sorry I had to miss the get-together again... looks like you had such a fun time. I'll shoot for next time!!

Big hugs! Sherry

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Your entry way is beautiful, Sue. I love your stone fireplace also.

The Tablescaper said...

Love the vignette on your entry table.

- The Tablescaper

Rene said...

Your magnifying glass caught my eye. What a great find!

Thanks so much for joining the party Sue!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Yes, Sue...I would say you are "globally eclectic" and your home reflects that. This is the style that you love and your foyer makes a statement. It's so YOU!~Hugs, Patti

Stacey said...

Sue, your house is just gorgeous. Love your artwork collection on the stair wall. The thing that is making me breath hard is your goat cart!! I want one!

Made In The South said...

Lovely entry. I love how you tied in the little feather on to the old books.
I am on my way to check out her blog and the others that linked up.
Have a good one,
Melissa

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

Love all the art work! The books with twine and feather is a great idea. Beautiful entry!

A ton of light comes in my entry too, later in the day though. We both have ginormous clocks on our mantles :)

At The Picket Fence said...

Your entry is so gorgeous Sue! I think it absolutely reflects the style of your home and is just so warm and welcoming! :-)
Vanessa
P.S. The flower thief story is pretty shocking! Some nerve!

xinex said...

I love your foyer! It's gorgeous and you have a beautiful home....Christine

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Sue, your foyer sounds so much like mine. Mine goes straight up thru the 2nd floor with an open staircase so I have a huge piece of art work (contemporary) in mine too and then an old library table in front of the steps. Yours is so handsome! xo
P.S. I feel sorry for whoever stole your flowers.... I hope they enjoyed then....NOT. One year someone cut down a beautiful small spruce tree that was in my parent's front yard. It was just a few days before Christmas so we assume they cut it for a Christmas tree. So sad!

Lori E said...

I know and love your style. You have a great eye. I see the cart is a magazine/paper rack. Very cool.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue! What a pretty foyer and I love the view into your family room. The fireplace is wonderful and I love the little cart.
xo,
Sherry

Emily said...

hi Sue, i think we our foyers are so much alike. I love how yours is open and full of light, and you have a window over the door same as me. I love you've added art up the steps. The colors seem to pop on the wall color. I love your stylish vignette. the fireplace draws your eye to your family room and it is beautiful. I sure enjoyed my tour.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Balisha said...

Beautiful foyer. I love the artwork too...especially the 2nd one. Balisha

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your have a beautiful home, Sue, and your foyer is no exception. I loved your staircase artwork!

Betsy said...

Thanks for sharing the gateway to your beautiful home. Stair walls can be so hard to decorate and keep everything in scale at the same time...you did an amazing job. Love that moss ball in the pretty urn.

Babs said...

Beautiful foyer and a nice welcoming view into your great room. Love that fireplace.
Babs

Pam said...

Yes, I think the goat cart screams globally eclectic. I like all the artwork on the walls in there. I probably don't have enough artwork around here. I have problems with nailing things into the wall. Not like they don't make spackling to fill the holes or anything.

Marydon said...

What a gorgeous foyer, Sue Love your art work.Just a beautiful peaceful home.

Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY, for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

Have a beautiful weekend.
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

beautiful. classic. welcoming. : )

Rettabug said...

Gosh, you inspire me SO much, Sue! I'm going to hunt down a feather to tuck into some of DH's old medical books & try to duplicate your vignette in a small way. I love your entry...and all the gorgeous art work.

Thanks for sharing your lovely home.
fondly,
Rett

Jilly said...

Your entry is so gorgeous Sue! I think it absolutely reflects the style of your home and is just so warm and welcoming, Each and every stuffs are arranged in perfect place.
first aid supply

Terry said...

Table arrangement is very hard for me and I am always searching in online for good and unique ideas. I have lots of conch, but never fill a bowl.
descuento ropa

pinkertonjamesl said...

Different type of water colors are look so pretty of the wall.This is a amazing decorations at home.Different things are there for the decorations.

bathroom lighting