Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Backyard Demolition Site

 

This is what our backyard looks like after four days of work! It’s now home to a backhoe, loader, literally TONS of stone, tools, and DIRT!  Even the street in front of our house has 2 big piles of gravel.

 

 

 

 

view to sunroom patio

This is what the yard looked like llast week.  There was still  grass- albeit long, but who mows the lawn the day before the workmen get here to start digging it up? Not me!

.

north to south view

Do you see how the yard slopes down the hill? It was left natural and the honeysuckle just grew and grew…..

.

thinned out hill

This is how that area looked before I went back in and did a little more defoliation after the landscape crew took out most of the large honeysuckle bushes.

.

defoliated hill

And this is what it looks like now. I got in there and whacked a few more honeysuckle shrubs down. They’re going to grow back, but we’ll just have to keep them under control. They’d been left to grow wild for way too long. There will be ground cover of some kind put in to help hold the hill back.

.

hill looking south

This is another view of the same area. There are still one fence section along the rear yard that needs to be removed. I took down most all of it because most of the fence posts and sections had rotted, making it easy to just tug on them and pull them out. It was still work, though!   The area where the backhoe is located will be the fire pit and lower patio area. It will be dug out and end up about 5 feet below the house grade.

.

maple tree

Our 25 foot tall maple tree had to be felled in order to make room for the new fire pit and lower patio. It wasn’t looking very healthy this year, so I really wasn’t too unhappy about seeing it come down. The husband, however, felt more pain!  It really doesn’t look that tall here, because it sat down into the hill, but it was tall. Just not too leafy. The previous homeowner must have planted it shortly before we moved in, because it was still staked and its trunk diameter was only about 2 ½ inches.

.

view north to old paver patio

There was an old dilapidated paver patio in this location before I pulled it all up a couple of weeks ago. Even the built-in wooden bench on the left side got pushed over with one swift kick! I couldn’t remove the back wall- it was still holding back the dirt pad. I left that for the landscape crew to pull down with their backhoe.  There is a lot of underbrush that I chopped down and left for them to haul away, as well.  My nephew took down the 6 foot privacy fence between us and the neighbor’s yard. We’ll put in another, once this job is completed.

.

old deck site off kitchen

This area off of the kitchen eating area once housed a wood deck. It was small and confining, so out it went. The nephew took care of this project, too. It will become a paver patio that will connect to the new patio outside of the sunroom on the opposite end of the house.  By completing these two demolition jobs ourselves, we saved big bucks. 

.

sunroom patio 2

Here’s the original concrete patio outside the sunroom. It sloped back towards the house and stayed wet, which is why we had the mold growing on the bricks. We’ll have to powerwash the bricks and foundation before the new patio goes in.

.

yard full of loaders and stone

This is a partial view of what that area looks like now. The sunroom patio size has doubled and wraps around the rear of the house to connect with the patio outside the kitchen.

It always looks worse before it gets better, and this job will not be the exception. The yard looks terrible!  We expect to be under construction for another month and that doesn’t include planting the beds.  I’ll post the progression as it happens. Did I mention the dust is horrible?  The window washer won’t be coming any time soon!  

 

linked to:

metamorphis mon.

37 comments:

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

It looks like a huge undertaking, but I know it will be beautiful when it is all finished.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, It will be beautiful and I hope you love the finished project. I am looking forward to seeing what you are adding to the yard.
xo,
Sherry

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Oh my gosh, you have a major undertaking going on! I think it is going to look wonderful when it is all finished! You will be able to enjoy it so much when fall comes, especially the firepit area!~Hugs, Patti

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Lord what a big job! You are pretty brave to tackle something like this...but so smart to do it now. In the spring you will be able to sit back and enjoy. Have a good week!

Miss Char said...

By the time its finished it will be a perfect time for planting. I don't have much vision when it comes to landscaping so I'll just have to wait for another progress report.

Jo said...

Wow what a job! It'll look great when completed but oh my the aggravation til then!

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜@ Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing said...

Oh it is going to be so awesome though. Mine looked half way like that last week.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow! You do have a MAJOR project going on ! I am looking forward to seeing the finished project. And here I sit, dreading to go out and doing a simple task such as cleaning out the flower beds. I feel guilty. :/
Enjoy your evening.
Glenda

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

You have one large project going on. I'll be anxious to see it all completed, probably not as much as you will be... I know it's going to be beautiful. hugs ~lynne~

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, it is going to be wonderful when completed. BTW I loved your comment on Pat's blog. ♥O

Jemsmom said...

A month isn't that long... a month isn't that long... just keep saying that over and over and just think how beautiful it will be when it is done!

Kim and rick said...

Please keep posting photos we want to see the progress...it will be beautiful!!!

Babs said...

New landscape projects are always so exciting. It's amazing how much of a mess has to be made to make it beautiful. Looking forward to the next post.
Have a great week.
Babs

Pam @ Frippery said...

I am so looking forward to watching the progress from start to finish! BTW Honeysuckle is the bane of my existence!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, it will be so nice when all done.

Pat said...

Going to be gorgeous Sue!!

The Little Dog Laughs said...

Such an endeavor requires much patience, but much excitement. And aren't the photographs lovely metaphors for what we go through as we stretch, grow, and transform into more beautiful facets of ourselves? Beautiful music...Have a wonderful day ~ Alexandra

classic • casual • home said...

How luxurious to have all that space! You have great vision.

A Rosy Note said...

Ohhh, I just love construction projects! I noticed you talked about a firepit and such, are you adding on to your house too? I'll bet it's going to look great :)

Alicia said...

Whew! I got tired just looking at the pictures. I can imagine how you must feel! Can't wait to see the results though!

The Little Dog Laughs said...

Thank you for your sweet comments. I went into settings to see if I could change what you said about the email, but I guess I don't understand. :) ~ Alexandra

Kathy said...

Hey there my friend! It looks like you're working way too hard - but can't wait to see your new space - I know you'll have way too much fun "decorating"!

By Springfield, you'll be ready to relax, right??

See you soon!

Kathy

The Little Dog Laughs said...

Okay, think I got it. :) Alexandra

A Hint of Home said...

It's a big mess now but you are going to love the finished product!
Been where you are a few years ago and love the extended patio now.
Hang in there!

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

hi sue! it looks like you have a lot going on! i am sure it will be beautiful and worth it in the end! : ) smiles.

Betsy said...

Wow, you've sure been busy. I think this is so exciting and will be worth every moment of labor you put into it. I'm really looking forward to seeing the "after" pictures. Great job!

Rettabug said...

Oh Boy...what a project! I don't envy you, going through the process, but it will be soooo worth it when completed. I can see all the possibilities now & it is going to be fantastic!! Party Central!!!

Hang in there,
Rett

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

How very exciting. I can't wait to see the finished project.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

It is going to be fabulous Sue! I can't wait to see how it all comes together!!

Lou Cinda

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Hi Darlin
WOW...what a challenge you set for yourself!!

I can NOT wait to see the finished project. Your brilliance for beauty is always showing... so I will await with excitment.

Have a wonderful end of summer!

Hugs GF

Claudia

Dawn said...

It's going to be a wonderful place when the work is done. I can see you out at the firepit staging photos of s'mores right now!

I'm afraid I've been away from the computer so much I hadn't even realized your son was back here. Make sure to let me know if you come to visit, or haul furniture or whatever! I'm going to try to blog once a week now that the kids are getting back into their routine.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Sweet Sue!!!!

So glad you popped by....

Wow! That's one major undertaking....exciting though. It's gonna be great when you finish.

Hugs,
Spence

Melissah said...

I’ve just stumbled upon your lovely blog. I look forward to popping by again for some more inspiration! I'm just new into blogging this year & have put together a daily blog on design, fashion, food, travel and anything pretty.
http://scrapbook-melissah.blogspot.com/ and
http://coastal-style.blogspot.com/ for everything chic and coastal

I had a lot of fun putting them together maybe you would like to check them out if you have a spare minute.
x
Melissah

xinex said...

It is going to look so nice after the work is done, Sue. I can't wait to see it. I should get some ideas from what you're doing cause our yard is also sloping. If you have a chance, come see my aerial pictures of our property, it's my post, 2 posts before the last one....Christine

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, I can already see that it's going to be wonderful! I'll look forward to all the progress reports. laurie

Katherines Corner said...

Oh my goodness Sue what a wonderful and amazing undertaking. I feel like I'm watching a yard crashers show on the television. This is so exciting. That's right my friend. I'm excited for you. I can't wait to see the finale. Big Hugs!

ketz said...

I would love to see the progress of this project. And hopefully you can finish very soon. I think I'm more excited than you.

highlands ranch landscape